IMDb > "Fringe" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fringe"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fringe" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

What's with all the hate?

Author: Calypso0132 from New Zealand
3 October 2009

I had started watching Fringe when it aired in my country, and at first, I didn't really find it particularly interesting. However, I decided to persevere with it, and I'm very glad I did. This show is not perfect, but it's definitely not as bad as all these reviews tend to make out. With each episode (so far), I find myself more deeply immersed in the plot, more involved with the characters, and I can't wait until the next one airs. A lot of these other reviews say it's worse than 'Lost' - which isn't true. I tried watching Lost, for the entire first season, but I found myself completely bored, with no real plot line to follow. The opposite is true with Fringe. Each episode has two plots - One, the overall plot of the series, and two, the plot of the individual episode, such as the investigation. This is common practice, but Fringe makes it.. fresher.

All in all, don't make any decisions on whether to watch this or not based off reviews on here. There's a lot of controversy - some hate it, some love it - just watch it for a while and judge it for yourself. I personally don't like the first 10 or so episodes, so I recommend you at least for a bit after that. They honestly do get better. 9/10

With improvement could be Abrams masterpiece!

Author: Eatmybolonga from Ireland
19 August 2009

I have only two words for you, John Noble, John Noble and yes you guessed it, John Noble.

Many people will tell you "its X-files without out the X" but these same people will also say "Lost- why would I watch a show about people on an island".

Fringe brings great story together along with an entertaining cast, John Noble really brings his A-Game and shines through the eccentric and senile Walter Bishop. I would go so far as to say to watch Fringe if only to witness his superb portrayal of the character.

The characters will keep you entertained, the story will keep you on your toes and scientific experiments will blow you away.

This is a show not to be missed!

Great show, don't listen to the critics...

Author: joura-2 from Sweden
7 August 2009

This is a great show with talented actors and great storyline. You have to see every episode to know whats going on. Nothing for viewers who watches a episode every other week. The people who calls the storyline bad doesn't get it. It's very smart and like "Lost" you have to use your mind to find out the secrets revealed throughout the show. JJ Abrams is a brilliant writer and the cast is perfect. I strongly recommend you who haven't seen this show to have a look. -FROM THE BEGINNING- otherwise you will not understand a thing.

Best regards joura-2

More reviews are coming soon.....

Strongest otherworldly show out there since x-files and 4400

Author: orpheus-30 from Netherlands
11 August 2009

When I first saw Fringe, I was immediately reminded of firstly The 4400 and secondly the X-files. Each show is similar in that supernatural incidents occur, and that only a specialized task force is capable of dealing with them. In the x-files we mostly followed the story of agents Skully and Mulder and their investigation in cases that revolved around aliens, religion and metaphysics. In 4400 it were agents Skouris and Baldwin who investigated incidents relating a group of "special" people. In Fringe, it's all about science. An investigation team researches cases where high tech inventions that border on the supernatural are being used to commit crimes, show off, or even unexplained purposes. While some cases seem to be uncomfortably similar to what we already experience in daily life, other cases are more fantastical.

There are many things to like about Fringe. The show is very professionally put together. Every episode shows a consistent progress in the storyline as the mystery unfolds. You never get the full sense of really what's going on, just as the persons in the show don't. But at the same time, you get clues and hints to what is happening, and every episode reveales a new lead that evolves the story.

The ambient music adds a thickness to scenes that would normally be tense already, and now become completely chilling.

The cast is varied and interesting enough for each viewer to have their personal favorite. Some of us will relate to the meticulous and sensible detective, while others will develop a bond with the brilliant but troubled and sometimes mad scientist. I found the acting to be very strong on all accounts, except perhaps for a few awkward interrogation scenes.

At times, so many scientific terms are being used back-to-back, that I felt like watching a Startrek Voyager episode. With Fringe though, everything is based on facts and in the rare events that things just don't make sense, the scientists in the show will assure us that they have no clue to what is going on.

Addictive

Author: Tandy Jensen from Sydney, Australia
14 November 2009

somehow I passed over this show for more than a year because I thought it's yet another crime-detective production, but I was so wrong. For some reason I decided to test it by watching the first episode, and after that I was hooked - had to watch the second, then the third, the fourth, everything!

This show doesn't set out to expose government conspiracies, there's no offensive language, no bare breasts, neither artificial humor. It wins by appealing to the imagination, based on current state of science but not confined by it, creating a very interesting and engaging story that is also believable.

They have also found a very good leading actress in Anna Torv. She's probably not Miss Universe material, but is very likable and makes the show even more worth watching.

This is the kind of show that could be watched over and over again and not get boring. In spite of the self-contained storyline of each episode, there's also a dark undercurrent that will eventually unify everything. I can't wait to watch it all unfold!

More To It Than Meets The Eye

Author: Razvan Draghici
9 September 2009

I first started following the series at launch, viewing the first 3 episodes. Then i completely forgot about it. I just recently started viewing this again and i have to say, there's more to it than the first couple of episodes let you see. The plot deepens as episodes go by, the role of the "mad scientist" becomes clearer and everything slowly ties in together like a perfect puzzle. The story is not one of the most original you'll find, but it is told in a most beautiful way, a way that will keep you hooked until the end. The characters are strong and so are the actors/actresses that bring them to life. The effects are top notch. An overall great TV show with that classical X Files feel to it but with a twist, a twist that i personally enjoy and one that made me anxiously await the second installment in the TV series. Highly recommended to all you X Files fans and also for anyone that enjoys a conspiracy plot that has some substance. An easy 9 out of 10.

Watch It In Its Entirety And Then Judge....

Author: Nik Git from Greece
28 April 2010

Been watching the reviews for the show for some time now and I have to say that most people are confused. Confused on how a series is reviewed. When we speak about a sitcom comedy, by just watching one or two episodes it is fairly easy to judge the quality. But when trying to analyze a series like X-Files, Lost, Fringe and so many other, one has to watch the whole bunch of arc episodes in order to have an objective opinion. yes the science portrayed every week may be a little too much but... X-Files (which I also loved) was about aliens.... So....we believe in aliens but cannot comprehend that there may be science beyond our imagination???? As for the characters, and especially for Anna Torv.......her acting (the way see looks in the first episodes - like cold and aloof) it's just the way things should be in the beginning......then she is a cold-hearted FBI agent and that is what she shows us.......everyone who cared enough to watch all the episodes till now will see how she has changed as a character (and how well acted that character is by Anna Torv - I had never seen her before). Most of the reviews here are based on the first 3 or 4 episodes.....well.....it's a whole story that has to be said.....go through the first season and see then what your reactions will be... Yet the series is not without problems, but it will get better and better. Most of the arc episodes are thrilling and most of the rest episodes are full of mad science (got to love it). The production values are sky-high...

So always keep in mind what you're judging and give it the appropriate time...

Good Show

Author: dacrontoke_420 from Canada
4 November 2009

OK first things first...... you people can't just watch the first two episodes and say that this show isn't good. the first few episodes of any show are bound to be a little slower than the latter. And how can you not dig the strange things that take place in this show. I think it is an excillent, fresh, new idea and has a lot of potential. It's kind of like CSI meets the x-files with some weird science in the mix. Overall i think this series has great potential if you saw the first two episodes and gave up on the show your an idiot. Myself being a huge fan of Lost was a little skeptical about Fringe and was even a little bit disappointed with the first few episodes. Keep watching and like me you will be pleasantly surprised!

Love Love Love this show

Author: cojala from United States
15 October 2009

I watch this show every week. If I can't be home I make sure it is DVR'd. I love the character Walter Bishop (John Noble). He is my favorite part of the show. I mainly watch it for him. I too didn't like it much in the beginning but then I got to know the characters and now I am addicted. It's the type of show that can keep you interested because every week it is something new but still with the ongoing storyline. (make sense?)I like all the characters and I have to disagree with other reviewers who say that these people can't act. Joshua is a very good and talented actor, he was on another hit TV show for many years (Dawson's Creek), so he's got to be doing something right. As for Anna Torv I think she is a good actress, I think that her storyline and character is why people think she is a bad actor. I don't like all the reality stuff on TV these days. I like being taken somewhere else and leaving reality behind for an hour a week. I have enough reality with my job and life and they are just coming up with dumb and dumber shows all the time. This show is good entertainment, which is what TV is suppose to be.

Love this show

Author: lensman-4 from Pasadena California
13 August 2009

Yes the show has to grow, but they have done a terrific job on it. If anyone wants more insight into the show please go to youtube and look for the ComicCon footage. I am one of the lucky few who go to go to the Q&A for Fringe. They were an awesome group. As to the people who are saying it is a Rip off of X-Files get a life. X-Files was not even original, hello Kolchek, the Night Stalker. Even though it wasn't the FBI it was very much an early X-Files.

One person at the Con asked where the writers got their ideas and they said things like Scientific America and other scientific magazines and publications. Also, they have a neuro-scientist consultant on the show as well as consulting with JPL, CERN, MIT and other science organizations. They are really trying to be smart about the show. For the person who complained about John Nobles accent, well he has a really thick New Zealand accent and he was trying to go for that Professor type accent from when he was in college. Also, JJ Abrams has not had anything to do with Lost since season 1. He is only on the credits as creator. Anyway, go see the footage from the Comic-Con and you may get a better understanding of the actors and the show in general.

Page 1 of 37:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]