IMDb > Pocahontas (1994/II) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Pocahontas (V) More at IMDbPro »

Not quite as good as the Disney version but worth a watch after several years

Author: Stompgal_87 from United Kingdom
5 August 2013

I vaguely remember watching this version of the Pocahontas legend as a child and thinking it wasn't quite as good as the Disney version. Having re-watched it as an adult, I still have that opinion but there are some good aspects such as the music, the detailed lip-sync and picturesque backgrounds.

The character designs are pretty inconsistent. While Pocahontas looks anime-esque, the majority of them are drawn in a style similar to characters from animated action series such as 'Captain Planet' and 'The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest.' I did, however, like the colour scheme of the clothes worn by Pocahontas's friend because yellow, purple and blue are my favourite colours.The dialogue was mostly dark and clever, but I found the term 'pale-faces' to describe white people rather derogatory. I liked the songs as well, especially 'Land of Pocahontas' and 'Enemy or Friend.' The animation is decent but not as fluid as that in Disney films that came out at around the same time but this is forgivable since this was made on a lower budget.

All in all, this wasn't as entertaining as the Disney version but worth another look nonetheless. 8/10.

One of my first Jetlag animations, and I still have a soft spot for it now

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
11 June 2012

I do enjoy the Jetlag animations, and while not one of the very best ones(Magic of the Snow Man, Little Red Riding Hood) The Adventures of Pocahontas:Indian Princess is better than their versions of Alice in Wonderland and Snow White. And I do still have a soft spot for it now. The animation is not perfect, with the colours in the want of more vibrancy. However, I really liked the music, Enemy or Friend is especially good, though Land of Pocahontas really draws you in with a great sense of rhythm(Land of Peace was lovely but quite as memorable), and the incidental music is poignant and fitting with the mood. The dialogue doesn't feel too over-simplistic or childish and is well meaning without preaching, the characters are more likable and less cardboard than Disney's for example and the story is engaging, swiftly-paced and moving, as well as being more realistic and I think truer to legend than Disney's. The voice work is suitably dynamic. Overall, I like it very much. 8/10 Bethany Cox