IMDb > "Mad Men" The Mountain King (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mad Men: The Mountain King (#2.12)"

"Mad Men" The Mountain King (2008)

« Prev | 25 of 92 Episodes | Next »

Confusing and Over-Rated, but Good Anyway

Author: borowiecsminus from Ossining, NY
7 August 2016

People seem to think this is one of the best episodes of "Mad Men." I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mad Men. If I didn't, I would've taken away more than two stars. And this is a good episode, it just isn't even near Mad Men standards. And the main reason for that is the fact that it fails to captivate. It's Don's last day in California, and he visits the wife of the man who's identity he stole.

The other thing is that it is extremely confusing. It's actually one of the most confusing episodes of television I've ever seen. Throughout the whole episode, I didn't know if it was a flash-back, or if it was only half a flash-back, or if he was lying or telling the truth... I got it eventually, but I only got it when I read the full summary on IMDb. The episode offered no help. It felt like Inception, only actually MORE confusing. At least to me.

But, with that being said, everything else about this episode is great. In particular, the two people who did the best job are Alan Taylor, the director, and Jon Hamm (Don Draper). The final shot in particular stands out from the crowd as being (so far), the most memorable shot in the show.

Even though it's great, it's one of the worst episodes in the second season. But that's not a statement about "Mountain King." That's a statement about how good "Mad Men" is.