IMDb > Hannah Montana: The Movie (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hannah Montana: The Movie

Hannah Montana: The Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It hits the mark for its target audience - young, preteen girls and those who love them.

Author: aj1747 from United States
2 May 2009

I hope anyone who is the parent or is a relative of young girls will overlook the negative review comments from what appear to be adult men. I saw the movie today with my sister and her 8-year-old granddaughter. We all loved it and we laughed a lot. Anyone who has a young girl, fathers too, I think will enjoy this film. It's not going to win an Oscar for acting but it sure gets my vote for light entertainment. I liked the music from both Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift; they have different styles.

I'm am puzzled at the number of men who are reviewing a movie that is designed for little girls. I selected a couple of the reviewers who gave the movie one star and looked up some of their other reviews. I one case, his favorite movie contained a lot of violence and bloodshed.

At any rate, I give it an eight because it successfully did what it set out to do. That is to let a lot of little girls and their loved ones have a good time.

It wasn't that bad, people.

Author: weldermommy from United States
22 April 2009

I just wanted to comment on how completely ridiculous it is that grown people and older teenagers are commenting on how stupid, obnoxious, childish, un-funny, etc this movie was. I am a mother of 5 children, ages 12 to 2. My 3 daughters are 11 and two 9 year olds. They LOVED this movie and laughed their little butts off the whole time. Granted, there were MANY parts of the movie where I was bored to tears and I actually played a few games on my iPod touch I'd brought along...but AGAIN, this movie wasn't made FOR ME. IT WAS MADE FOR SMALL CHILDREN. And it really wasn't THAT bad. I mean, come on. We've all been watching Disney movies forever now, haven't we? Like you can't figure out who will die, who will win, who will lose, who will kiss whom, etc...in ANY Disney movie. Also, so she can't act?? Who cares? Because ALL of the Disney actors these days can't act. They are wooden and pathetic. BUT THE CHILDREN LIKE THEM. Stop being so judgmental about a movie that was geared towards 7 to 10 year old little girls, OK? It's just silly.

Miley Cyrus is like a vermin in the Western World

Author: nuclear5200 from Argentina
10 April 2009

No, Really.

The incredible lack of quality in this film is not only intensified by Miley Cyrus' lack of acting or singing skills, it is aggravated as the entire movie resolves around her own "inner struggle"(huh). She is incapable of delivering her lines with any sort of credibility or patience whatsoever and has to rely on being loud and intense in order to keep people's attention. That showcasts how her on-screen persona is similar to her on-stage persona: In order to hide her obvious flaws in talent, simply distracting the fandom (teenage girls usually between 6 and 13) with over exaggerated moves and expressions tends to do the trick. Some people might call that "Being relatable" or "Having a stage presence", I call that a plot to remain in the spotlight of 10 year old girls (All while failing at "overgrowing her character" by dating a 21 year old underwear model and uploading half naked pictures of herself in real life).

Billy Ray Cyrus, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of his daughter. Instead of overstating every single line and facial expression, he barely manages to pull them off with disdain. I swear to you, his repertory of expressions and emotions is even smaller than the list of his musical hits.

The screenplay is just what one would expect from a Disney Channel movie. You will not find a "Finding Nemo" or a "Wall-E" on this one, just a simple "sweet tale" about a character struggling while finding young love (Except that it fails at that too, given not only that the main characters do not last together for long and that on the show the Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana character changes boyfriends as fast as she changes tampons). The love interest is so disgustingly clichéd that you might just laugh at his fakeness. The jokes, as expected coming from a Hannah Montana movie, are simply not funny at all.

In fact, the entire movie gets so lame and predictable that it becomes yet another proof of how -for everyone's sake- Disney Channel's writers are ought to commit suicide.

Now on the music (Or lack thereof). The soundtrack is just what would be expected by Hannah Montana: songs filled with self-references and childish squabble. Although it meets its purpose of making small children happy, it is nothing more than that.

The movie includes a ridiculous Macarena wannabe "dance song" which is so incredibly complex that not even her fandom will replicate it without a severe amount of effort (Were they actually expecting people to dance the Howdown whatever? It's not like its simple, or easy for that matter).

Miley Cyrus and her dad are simply not talented at all in the musical arena. The only song worth saving from this whole mess is The Climb, which is actually deep and thought provoking.

If you are not a tormented parent who is being absolutely threatened by his daughter to go see this film with her, I implore you for your own sake, take that money elsewhere and save yourself the nuisance. Because in the end that is the only thing this is.

Well, this was a waste of time

Author: Grissom66 from Canada
18 April 2009

Miley Stewart's (Miley Cyrus) life is out of balance. Taken under the wing of a gungho and glamorous publicist, Vita (Vanessa Williams), Miley's letting Hannah begin to dominate her life. When she keeps choosing Hannah over her commitments to family members—to say goodbye to Jackson (Jason Earles) as he leaves for college, to attend Lilly's (Emily Osment) long-anticipated sweet-16 party or her grandmother's birthday celebration—it is clear Miley's beginning to forget why the Hannah Montana secret was created in the first place.

When Hannah Montana ends up in a paparazzi-captured fight with Tyra Banks over a pair of designer shoes, Miley's father (Billy Ray Cyrus) quietly takes control. Having attempted to reason with her to no avail, Robby Ray tricks Miley into thinking she's going to New York as Hannah to perform when he's really taking her from Los Angeles back home to Crowley Corners, Tennessee. Miley's double life becomes even more complicated when she returns to Crowley Corners.

She discovers that a reporter has somehow managed to track Hannah Montana to her hometown and is asking lots of questions of the locals. She also meets up with an old childhood friend, Travis Brody (Lucas Till), and soon finds herself in her first serious romance. When Miley tries to impress Travis by telling him about her friend Hannah Montana, she suddenly finds her alter ego enlisted in a concert fundraiser to help save her hometown's pristine Crowley Meadows from developers. Once again, having taken on more than she can handle, Miley has to call on her best friend, Lilly, and ask her for help. When Lilly finally arrives in Crowley Corners pretending to be Hannah Montana, events really spin out of control. Hannah Montana 1/10

lol

Author: Deansmith1989 from United Kingdom
10 June 2009

I think the idea of Hannah Montana as a movie was good, because it gave a chance for different types of audience to show what they think of it, and view it. so its for the young girls, and they probably love it, but if your not a female or under 12 years old you wont appreciate it. People are saying why rate it as a bad film because its not aimed at adults, well, if only 12 year old girls rated this film, it wouldn't be an accurate rating. Having people of all ages and backgrounds rate this film, shows an actual portrayal of the quality of the film. The girl has a good voice, but that doesn't make it a good film. personally i don't like her music either, but i can appreciate talent when i see it. unfortunately, the same doesn't go for the movie.

Great movie, and I'm a guy

Author: Ghost31 from Canada
1 January 2010

My sister paid me 10 bucks to watch this movie and I thought it would be the hardest ten bucks I ever made. Turns out I was wrong.

I went into this movie having never seen the show and with the impression that it would be some lame kids movie. After all, all my friends trash talk the show and make fun of it saying you're gay if you watch it. I was kind of skeptical to watch it, but, turns out it was an awesome movie.

The movie is full of witty humor, the music is actually catchy, and I'm not the kind of guy that cries at movies and TV shows but this movie almost had me crying. It hit an emotional spot in me that I didn't think I had.

For being a Disney movie, I honestly am impressed at what they produced. Miley Cyrus is a really good actress and has a good voice. I may even have a crush on her.

After seeing the movie I decided to watch a few episodes of the show. It's a different atmosphere than the movie but still has that same witty humor.

All in all, this is a great movie for anybody, and if you don't want to admit to watching it or you don't want anyone to know you've seen it, watch it alone. You won't regret it.

Piano Teeth brings her character (and ego) to the big screen

Author: Herbest8 from United States
12 May 2010

What can I say about a film like this? Well, I'll pose this question to anyone who has seen the show. If Mr. Magoo barely has the legs for a six minute cartoon (and he also got his own movie) how in the WORLD can a one note concept like "Hannah Montana" sustain 100 minutes when it can barely do it in a twenty minute show? I would give you a plot summary but I can't because there is no story, I kid you not. This is more or less a series of lame slapstick scenes loosely tied together with a clichéd idea of an evil land developer who plans to level the hometown of Miley Stewart who just happens to be visiting when all this goes down.

Where do I begin? Well, for starters the movie was shot in a very lousy way. The extreme close-ups dilute most of the slapstick action which in of itself is just as desperate as it is on the show. Also, we get one too many closeups of Miley Cyrus's face and thus, her distracting piano teeth. On top of all that, there are several shots done in slow motion for no apparent reason. I guess the filmmakers wanted to be "artsy".

The cast is wasted and I do mean wasted! Barry Bostwick is useless in a throwaway role, Tyra Banks makes a complete fool of herself and the charming and talented Emily Osment is reduced to a recurring cameo despite her getting second billing.

I'm a generous kind of guy, so I will give it this: the colors and film stock at least give it the big screen look it needs and that is a improvement over the tacky look of the show and I will admit I did get a few mild laughs overall.

My consensus? This movie will thrill little girls and it is harmless but it's quite a chore for anyone older.

Very disappointing

Author: Hudak_7 from Canada
20 September 2009

Simple minds are easily amused I suppose. This movie went thought a hole a lot and ended up back where it started. First of all the tag line of the film "shes had the best of both worlds and now she has to pick just one", do you think she did? No, she tired to but 4000 something people told her to Hanna Montana AFTER she said she didn't want to do it any more and she agreed. Second poor Billy Ray, didn't get anything, why, was it to hard to give him a girlfriend in the TV show? Is that why Miley's selfishness brought his relationship to an end? And I may not watch the show very much, but the character of Miley was way out of character, she was never that spoiled. Among other things, such as her break-up with her best friend (which they got back together for no real reason other then the film needed it) to whatever messed up relationship she had with her boyfriend. I would recommend not seeing this unless your under the age of 10 and don't know what a plot is, parents, I'm sorry for those of your who must watch it with your young ones.

An OK film I guess, a good conclusion to the series but there is still its weak flaws (SPOILERS!)

Author: karl_with-12 from Leeds, UK, Europe, Planet Earth, Space
19 August 2009

With my laptop with me, my sister and me decided to watch THE HANNAH MONTANA MOVIE on you tube last night. Let me say I read a couple of reviews about this movie saying how poor the movie is but since I am fan, I figured it was worth a watch.

I'm not saying the film's bad because it isn't. I have seen all the episodes of HANNAH MONTANA and I thought they were pretty funny and cool. But I think most of the people who wrote bad comments just watched the movie instead of switching over to Disney Channel and figuring what HM was all about. So yeah.

OK lets start off with the good side...

1) I can say this film did a good job bringing all the episodes and questions together pulling a great conclusion.

2) This film was like a whole new side for HANNAH MONTANA. Because you just skip Malibu, and the regular irritating "audience laughs" we see and hear in the HM episodes and go beyond the series, exploring Miley's main hometown, where you she actually came from and the choices she has to make.

3) The songs were top-notch my favourite ones were Hoedown Throwdown and Lets Get Crazy I also liked some of the touching songs as well like Crazier by Taylor Swift (it was good to see her in the movie!) Butterfly Fly Away and The Climb and they also deliver an important message too.

4) It kept a levelled balance of everything; from the laughs to the moments. Because normally in the HM series you always get more off the funny parts rather than the real moving parts.

5) It was good work from Disney!

NOW THE BAD...

1) It was good but not great. I mean it wasn't something new from Disney like bringing it to a whole new level. It just kept it's sort of material that I normally expect from it. Although I said it was a whole new side, it was still nothing special.

2) The performances were average, I'm not seeing any energy being delivered. The end was a big moment in the movie but Cyrus sort of ruined that with her acting, causing it to not work as "dramatic". Sorry :(

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

3) When Miley rips off her wig, she said she can still be Hannah if everybody keeps the secret. Sure its her beloved hometown, but there's got to be one bad person who wants all the fame and money and blow her secret.

4) Jackson's alligator incident was careless and pointless. That has got to be very serious damage! For a normal human being, you could have needed brutal surgery and... well, the film sort of took it as a practical joke!?

5) Does Miley try to reveal she's Hannah Montana? To Travis, to that reporter guy she always says, "I saved Hannah Montana's life surfing and we're best friends!" Stupid!

Yeah - there's more bads than goods!

6) Now everybody knows shes "best friends" with Hannah Montana, why dosen't anyone use their brain? There's lot of evidence, her face, that voice, those dance moves? Yet nobody had the right mind to figure out she is ACTUALLY Hannah Montana!

7) Bad reporter turn into good reporter and not blow Miley's secret? No, no, no! In real life any normal reporter would just blow her secret!

8) There wasn't much shock when Hannah revealed shes Miley. Also I found the ending quite confusing, she just takes off her wig, sings and the end!?

9) Unrealistic!

10) One more thing... sometimes Miley sings like she's got a cold or something and I'll admit she can't dance!

Sorry for saying but true!

I have a few more bad comments but I'll just leave it there for now...

OK I'm not trying to say HANNAH MONTANA THE MOVIE is a bad film (like I said!) But I say it's probably a mixed bag (despite the few extra bad points I made) Although it was VERY close to four, I'd, at the very least, give it a 5. (Just because I'm nice :P)

OK movie overall. Not bad I guess :)

*****/********** stars

(5/10 stars)

~Kalendra

Like Cyrus, it tries way too hard

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
5 December 2011

As the father of a twean this was required, and frankly painful, viewing. This evaluation surprises me somewhat given that the Cyrus / Disney television program on which this mess is based is the least bad choice among Disney TV offering for this age group. In fact, in a weak moment, I might concede that Miley?s often genuine interactions with her father (despite his worse-than-a-mullet haircut) and plots centered around Miley?s moral shortcomings coming back to haunt her make the show somewhat substantial and entertaining. Had the movie simply offered up a twice extended episode of the show Disney would have had a fairly watchable movie. Unfortunately the movie reaches for schmaltz and to say something profound about one?s roots thereby subjecting us to a decided lack of warmth and humor, uninteresting supporting characters and absurd plot twists ending with the idea that a few thousand Tennesseans will keep Miley?s secret. It seemed painfully apparent to me that Cyrus has outgrown her alter ego and hoped this movie would spell the end of her. Unfortunately, Disney characters never really die.

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]