IMDb > D.L. Hughley: Unapologetic (2007) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

D.L. Hughley: Unapologetic (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Talented Comic Garners big laughs in his 4th HBO Special...

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
15 October 2007

D.L. Hughley delivers the laughs in his forth HBO specialty subtitled UNAPOLOGETIC, which was filmed in Washington DC. After the disastrous BOB SAGET: THAT AIN'T RIGHT, this comic confection was a breath of fresh air, offering an amusing look at topics that weren't terribly original, but Hughley's outlook and much more selective use of adult language works to much greater effect here than Saget. One of Hughley's favorite topics is male/female relationship and he gets off some on-target shots on this well-worn subject, and as always, shows his flare for spontaneity by goofing on members of the audience in the theater. The subject matter may not be strikingly original, but Hughley's twisted view and on-target delivery almost always works.

Hughley At Its Best !

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
2 January 2008

D.L Hughley? Who's that guy? I mean, in my city, nobody seems to knows that name. 'Who is he' is the usual answer one would get if asked about Hughley. So, when I said I want to stay at home to watch his show, I got weird stares from my friends. So I said to myself, the show must better be good or else, I've wasted my night out for some stupid stand-up comedy show.

And Thank God I stayed at home to watch the show! The guy is simply fantastic! The jokes may very well have been made by other stand-up comedians, but he managed to made it funny.

His jokes ranges from all topics, from politics to marital problems. His jokes is also full of profanities that I can't write here at IMDb, for fear of being called 'a bad example to young kids' (and fear of being banned from commenting in the future, which is the most dreadful thing that could happen to me). So, it might not be suitable to watch if there are small kids around.

Some of his jokes, however, could have been better not told. For example, making jokes of the tsunami tragedy, which killed thousands of people in Thailand, Indonesia & Malaysia is uncalled for.

Stand-up for low-lifes

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
7 September 2008

I rarely review filmed stand-up routines and Hughley's is one I had no interest in seeing. However, our cable provider had given up free HBO for the weekend and a movie was coming on after D. L. HUGHLEY: UNAPOLOGETIC so I just let the TV run for a few minutes while I did some work on the computer. However, I could hear Hughley in the background and was amazed at how unfunny and crude the man was. So, I took a break and watched as this filthy and seemingly untalented man talked about erections, urinating, etc.--all the while he used amazingly foul language even for stand-up. Heck, even many rappers would probably flinch at his nasty mouth! It was like he'd made the conscious decision to forgo a real attempt at humor and just talk like a low-life to a crowd of low-lifes. If you want that, I guess you could either watch this special or go hang out in prison for a few hours.

No matter how much I watched, it just didn't get funny--just crude and nasty. If that is ALL you want in your humor and you don't need originality or anything resembling humor, then by all means watch it. Now I am NOT saying that humor can't be crude or push the envelope, but pushing the boundaries of good taste and not being the least bit funny is just a giant waste of time for intelligent people. Don't watch it--your brain will thank you.