IMDb > "Fear Itself" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Fear Itself"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Fear Itself" More at IMDbPro »

Don't give up hope yet

Author: Nicola Ann Tweedie from Dumfries, Scotland
26 July 2008

This show is not excellent but it isn't bad either, each week the show seems to be improving, not to mention a more well known variation of cast members.

It is entirely up to the viewer their own points of view but in mine its worth giving it a watch, especially the new years day or eater episodes.

Unfortunately those who expect this to compare or even match up to supernatural are sadly mistaken, this show is in an element of its own and should not be compared to anything else. i think this is why the majority of people are quick to disregard this show, as they compare it to much more successful longer running shows.

who knows maybe this will turn into a long running show.

all we need to do is give it a chance.

Breakdown of the episodes

Author: theworstpirateever from United States
25 April 2009

Since with this style of series, you can't judge the series as a whole without judging the individual episodess, I'll go ahead and do so.

Sacrifice: Painfully awful. Terrible pacing, the blonde haired blue eyed Romanian women can't act whatsoever, the sound effects are overly gory while what they depict is nowhere near as gory (priest screams bloody murder over disgusting sounds, then they show him and he doesn't really have a scratch on him) Not believable in the slightest. I love the little fire thing at the end. A few drops of gasoline on a metal covering with holes in it that is attached to a stone well. Surely lighting a little bit that was on top of the cover will cause the contents of the well to be entirely engulfed in flame as depicted, even though very little gasoline save for maybe a medicine cup's even entered it, over a period of a few minutes.

Spooked: Great episode until the end. The end -really- disappoints me because you want -something- to be done to the chick. It just feels like you're robbed of that. Aside from the ending though, this is great, one of the better episodes.

Family Man: -Excellent-. This is beautifully written, the actors are top notch, the twist... oh god the twist hurts. In a good way. Honestly, this deserves to be its own full fledged film. The amazing part? This was done by the same guy that did Freddy vs Jason. Don't let that fool you, this isn't anywhere near like that. Without a doubt, this was the best episode of the series, and one of the best horror anthology episodes I've seen in a long, long time.

In Sickness and in Health: You know that thing it sitcoms where someone acts really angry, but then suddenly they're complimenting you? Like Superintendent Chalmers on Simpsons? Imagine that played straight in horror. Pretty bad, doesn't feel like Landis did this at all.

Easter: Great work. It managed to make me jump a few times, and the ending was highly creative.

New Years Day: Great until the fridge logic pops in and you realize that the plot twist creates a lot of plot holes. Also, the shaky camera gets really annoying.

Community: Terrible. Really hamfisted attack on suburban life. I honestly suggest watching this just for how bad it is.

Skin & Bones: Not bad, slightly above average. Doug Jones makes this episode worth watching, but the rest is not really that good. If you're a fan of the Wendigo legend or a Doug Jones fan, watch this.

Something With Bite: -Hilarious.- This feels more like a John Landis episode than the John Landis episode did. Amazingly done, really good werewolf costume too.

Echoes: Decent. The plot twist isn't predictable, at least.

Chance: Confusing, feels really unfinished. I'm thinking maybe this episode -was- unfinished, maybe one of the last episodes made.

The Spirit Box: Plot twist was -extremely- predictable. Also, the acting in this one is pretty off. If you can stand hollow teenager clichés solving a murder mystery, ...no, even then I'd suggest avoiding this.

The Circle: Must watch. It's so bad it's hilarious. The actors seem to just be having fun with it, like they -know- what they're doing is bad. One chick is trying to act like she's reading, but she keeps forgetting how to. Forward two pages, back one, forward one, back two, etc. Light pokes in when it's supposed to be night time, light only effects the monsters when it comes to flashlights for some reason, even though there's lamps and fire and... y'know, I'll just leave it at this: This feels like it could be expanded into a bad film that the Mystery Science Theater 3000/Rifftrax guys would love to riff.

Overall, I'd say just watch Spooked, Family Man, Something With Bite, and Eater. If you love to mock stuff, watch The Circle, Community, and Sacrifice.

Also, don't base your decision on who directed what episode. The better directors actually did some of the worst episodes, to the point where they don't feel like they were actually made by those directors.

It's hit or miss but still worthwhile.

Author: SomethingPart2 from United States
9 April 2011

This cable version of Masters of Horror has it's limitations but still manages to find itself a good foothold as a decent addition to horror television. There's a lot of talent here with directors such as Stuart Gordon, John Landis, Brad Anderson Ronnie Yu and many more each taking a shot at a 45 minute mini movie made for cable. Some of the effects by KNB are fantastic. They're werewolf effect in Something With Bite is amazing, and just goes to prove that practical is almost always better than CGI. There are some low points. John Landis's entry is probably the weakest. Although on a whole I find him to be rather hit or miss himself. As a whole this series is better than the second season of Master's of Horror by a long shot. These are some of my favorite directors anyways, and it's neat to see what else they can do. It's streaming on Netflix now. If you're a fan of horror there's no reason to not watch this. It's often corny and goofy, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth your time.

Its not bad.

Author: jc1387 from United States
8 August 2008

With all the negative reviews of this show I found it important to point out a few things. For one this is a show that is made from cult horror directors/writers and its on nbc. Two most of the directors where not happy with that fact that they had to choose from a small selection of scripts and didn't have a lot of time to prepare for their episodes. On the other hand its the only network TV horror show on this summer and props to nbc for that. Spooked and Community are the two bright spots in the series thus far, in sickness and health and new years day where not very good. All the other episodes were very watchable for horror fans. Im not going to give this show a rating cause its not important. Look in it in this theory i rather have a bad football team in my city(cleveland) then none at all. All over I was disappointed with this series but ill give nbc and mick and his crew credit for trying to bring the show to network TV.

Quality varies from episode to episode

Author: moogleboi from United Kingdom
25 July 2008

I came across Fear Itself (and its prior 'Masters of...' series) a week ago whilst looking through the Sci-Fi listings on TV.com. Lured by the idea of a new premise each episode, I downloaded all the aired episodes to date of this review.

With everything entirely different each episode, the series seems cold and lost, which some will like, some won't. It's also only fair that I review each episode individually because of this. Some episodes aren't too strong, for this, I would recommend the series to young or easily-scared viewers rather than more mature viewers who won't be as impressed.

I've put some plot keywords down as tips (settings, characters, story) to each episode, nothing too spoiling, and nothing the current synopsises won't provide you with. If you don't want to know *anything* about the episode, then avoid gazing at them, since the reviews don't spoil anything at all, and will be useful pointers as to which episodes to not waste 40 minutes of your life on.

1. The Sacrifice: 7/10 (Plot keywords; Vampire, survival, trapped, fort) The first episode was filmed in the same secluded fort used for the film Ginger Snaps Back, so more than top marks for the setting/scenery. I can't say much about the episode basis without spoiling it, but the plot was 'good'. However some the dialogue and voice acting could have been better, as well as some corners polished, but this is something to expect from the series.

2. Spooked: 4/10 (Plot keywords; Haunted house, set up, traumatic childhood flashbacks) This episode's premise was rather weak, combined with the fact I can't stand Eric Roberts for some reason, I didn't really enjoy it. Whilst the storyline could have had potential, the execution of it was terrible.

3. Family Man: 8.5/10 (Plot keywords; Spiritual transmigration, serial killer, family man, prison) Brilliant premise, this episode really stands out from the rest - extremely dark (if not too dark), well-written and well-executed - definitely a 'must-see'.

4. In Sickness and in Health: 2/10 (Plot keywords; Wedding, church, serial killer, chase, so-so) From the synopsis I could tell this episode wouldn't pull it off, but it really, really stank. Seriously, I didn't know they could write plot holes this big. I cannot believe how bad this episode was, two points for the slightly-eery church at night setting.

5. Eater: 2/10 (Plot keywords; Voodoo cannibal, prison) Again, pretty poor episode with no twist to it... And like the last episode, the ending made it go from bad to worse... *yawn*

6. New Year's Day: 8/10 (Plot keywords; Zombies, city chaos, survival) I quite liked this episode. I quite liked how zombies weren't always necessarily trying to run for the protagonist, but instead lurching around distracted close-by. Both the twist and ending for this episode were great. I'd say the sets were definitely 'well-used' over the time-line, there could have been less flashbacks, but great episode anyway.

7. Community: 6/10 (Plot keywords; Housing estate conspiracy, contract, brainwashing) Despite there not being much twist to this episode, I quited liked it's consistent conspiracy feel, and the ending was quite sad.

If possible, I will update this review as further episodes air.

Love every last minute!

Author: durhamscaraudio from United States
23 August 2008

Well written spooky little shows that leave me begging for the next weeks contribution. If you are a Tales from the crypt fan, Masters of Horror fan or just love horror this is up your alley. I really hope to see more seasons or this to move back to Showtime or HBO! I noticed some people are unhappy with this show but I can't understand why? Being made for mainstream television the writers are doing all they can to get as much gore in there as possible. I hope to see more of these shows even if they have to do a direct to DVD type of approach. I think my favorite episodes at this point are In sickness and in health and Skin and bones. If you have not yet watched this series check it out. I think you will find it entertaining and fun.

Wha..

Author: Dead Mouse from United States
27 March 2013

The Show Rocks and needs more...most of you people are expecting Award Winning Every Episodes..back off by a lot like a dude gave "eater" 2/8...really..tho the cannibal has been run into the ground ,him jumping body to body and trying to guess who he is now was very fun......really tho harsh reviews from people who ARE not directors and just sit on their ass and watch

wtf..10 lines

Full-o-problems

Author: cb94 from United Kingdom
14 May 2012

I will say at first the problem lies not with the Professional Directors, although they could definitely be doing something better. From watching these episodes I can tell that the problem lies with the writers, I mean we're talking talking about the writers of The Fly 2, Road House 2, usually not a single good horror film to their name, so what makes them think they can pull off a horror series when the last things they did were crap.

The acting is good though, the music's good, sets, props all good. It's just the awful writing. In fact, the title sequence is usually the only good thing about this series. With the title sequence, the music's awesome and the visionary's awesome, if only they had spent as much effort as they did on the actual series as they did with the titles.

outer horror limits

Author: katsisdimitris078 from greece
7 July 2013

spoilers maybe hey guys, remember a TV series from the 90s, self contained scifi stories with a twist at the end of every episode? that series was the outer limits and i think every 28 and up year old who fancies himself a cult fan remembers and likes it, well that's what this series reminds me of and i like it for it. sure the plot isn't always original and sometimes you can see where it is going but it's got solid acting, good direction and effects and some really creepy and scary moments. like the eater episode, man just looking at that Indian gives you chills, or the one with the guy possessed by the wendigo spirit it's creepy enough his so skinny and when he comes at you it looks like he's floating. for everybody who hasn't seen it i highly recommend this if you are into horror. have a scary good night.

In Sickness and in Health- GREAT

Author: cnj5599 from United States
29 January 2009

This episode was great. The two stars from Psych at a wedding to each other. The wife gets a letter saying something about how the person you are marrying is a killer. You think James is psycho but with the brother finding parts and you don't know if he is involved or not. You don't know who knows about it, what anyone knows with the family and friends all changing behavors and little innuendos and hints that they may know or be involved. Then the wife and husband have a little showdown. Youfind you that the wife, who has been scared the whole time, spoke to her new husband and asked him if he wanted to know what the note said. He says that he doesn't care and she will let him know when she is ready. Well she said she would, with a smile and she is the psycho. That twist at was GREAT!!!! Plus these two stars are terrific. Very different from their show.