IMDb > Super High Me (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Super High Me

Super High Me More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

I think some of these comments are missing the point, maybe.

Author: ocelotfilm-2 from United States
11 March 2008

While I agree that this is not the most political nor the most medically conclusive of documentaries, it seems to me that this misses the whole point of what the filmmakers were trying to do. There is no need for another "Grass" type documentary -- as that one already exists. Super High Me is a comedy first and a documentary second. And that's OK. More than OK, it might even be better, because it has the potential (since it is funny and entertaining as well as informative) to reach a wider audience and make more people aware of the entire medical marijuana issue, the existence of 'dispensaries' in California and the conflict between state and federal laws.

So is there another more activist documentary to be made about medical marijuana? Sure. But it would probably be boring and no one would really go see it. (Kinda like the fate of "Grass" for example.) This one is fun AND informative. And it will probably do very well and get more people talking about the issues, even more than if it were a "real" documentary.

Pass the lip balm, man.

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
6 June 2008

Doug Benson, a stand-up comic you may know from VH1, got the idea to make a documentary about himself smoking weed for 30 days. Ya know, just like Morgan Spurlock from Super-size Me where he ate McDonald's for 30 straight days. This has got to be one of the coolest ideas for a documentary in the history of documentaries. It was a pretty interesting flick, but unfortunately from a person who makes people laugh for a living, not very funny.

The flick starts off with Doug not smoking for 30 days and then once that 30 day sequence ends he begins to smoke constantly for the next 30 days. With each sequence he's subject to a bunch of tests, from taking the SATs to a psychic test. Also, he doesn't quit his day job while he's making the film. You get to see him perform his acts when he has them booked, high or not.

Doug Benson, is a pretty good comic. He has his own slightly flamboyant, immature style, that he's got down pretty well. He made me smile a few times and possibly giggle once or twice, but none of it was really that funny. He talks about pot, about how it's cool and he misses it, and that's about it. But if you're a fan of Doug's or stand up comedy, you should definitely find this flick funny. The two funniest scenes for me was when he wasn't on stage telling jokes, but when one of the producers was making a mess of Doug's apartment because of his butter fingers. And a fart gag with some tuba's was nice.

Doug, even before he began this little experiment, was a pot-head. There's no doubt about it. And this is what makes the whole process not so intriguing. If you know a seasoned burn-out, you know they tend to just get stoned. They can easily be high in almost any situation. If Doug wasn't such a pot-head, it would have been much more entertaining. Morgan Spurlock was a very healthy person, so eating McDonald's nonstop would have drastic affects. But since Doug is a pot-head in real-life this little 30 day bender isn't really anything too amazing to watch. He's such a veteran smoker that he doesn't exhibit any humorous side-effects. You don't see him paranoid, see him geek-out in a laughing fit, seeing him cough his brains out etc. etc. Pretty much all the things that's made any Cheech and Chong flick incredibly funny. But I do thank him for being a pot-head, if he wasn't this movie probably would never have been made.

Super High Me, was a cool documentary that gave some neat information concerning California laws, the history on Marijuana Dispensaries in California, and how many types of ways you can actually get high by THC. Lip balm. Believe it.

I firmly believe that if Doug wasn't a seasoned smoker this film would have been much more funny. If you've seen one glassy-eyed pot-head you've seen them all, and unfortunately his smoking didn't help make his stand-up act any funnier either. Then again, maybe I'm to blame. Maybe I need to lighten up and just light one up.

You wanna get high?

Author: pmdawn
20 April 2008

It's 4/20 and I couldn't have found a more appropriate date to watch this movie. It stars comedian Doug Benson, who I knew from The Marijuana-Logues.

As Benson describes in the beginning of the film, the basic premise is like the one in "Super Size Me", but with pot instead of McDonald's.

He goes through 30 days of "detox" only to spend another 30 days smoking marijuana non-stop. He has 'tests' done, interviews a bunch of other comedians and his stand-up routines all intertwined with the 'experiment'. This makes for a nice, light-hearted, fun movie. There's offensive language, but it's what you'd expect from stand-up comedians.

Stoners will certainly find something to enjoy here. And although this movie is a comedy and Doug claims he just wants to get stoned, there are a few key moments in the film that show people who actually need medical marijuana and the ridiculous state of affairs in which the DEA violates state laws and makes things difficult for folks that are in pain - these moments are intense and sad. One can only hope this will change in the near future.

Had this movie turned into a more political direction, it would be deserving of a much higher mark, in my opinion. As it stands, it's a nice and funny movie about pot and I'm glad I had the chance to watch this today and celebrate.

Peace out, 8/10

Great fun with a serious side.

Author: Ithok1 from United States
6 June 2008

Before saying anything about this movie let me say this. I do not smoke pot.

I rented this movie thinking oh great, a funny stand-up doing material and thats what it was. A stand-up, who got all his stand-up friends to do little interviews about smoking pot. I gotta say, was laughing like crazy through most of it. But mixed in, was a lot of serious opinion and anger about government control of pot and clashes between state and federal laws.

If you are looking for something truly scientific and credible, this isn't it. If you are looking for a good time and don't mind some opinions, I highly highly recommend this movie. Doug Benson is funny as are his friends who appear and even the studies are funny.

Watch it, enjoy it, don't take it seriously!

Fun, wholesome film

Author: mospeedracer02 from United States
8 May 2008

This film is a lighthearted, funny, and wholesome presentation of (1) the conflict between state medical marijuana laws and federal anti-drug laws, and (2) the evidence that marijuana can't do you much harm. If you are steeped in cannabis culture or follow legal developments concerning medical marijuana, none of the information will be new to you. You already know that the war on drugs is out of step with the science about cannabis use, and you know the current state of the law affecting medical dispensaries. Benson is likable and wholesome, and the movie is pleasant and funny. Because the movie is not dense or righteous, it has the capacity to reach interested folks who aren't already in the know and don't want to hear a rant about legalization.

Benson goes to Pot (again)

Author: emshon from United States
16 March 2008

AUSTIN/SXSW – "High Times Magazine" named Doug Benson as the second-ranked pot comic in the nation a few years ago. Benson must have decided not to settle for anything less than the top spot, because although the magazine hasn't since repeated their ranking, the frequently-stoned funnyman has gone out and made an entire movie about his life-long love affair with marijuana.

"Super High Me" started out as a joke—part of Benson's stand up routine. Riffing off Morgan Spurlock's documentary "Super Size Me," in which that filmmaker documented the effects of eating nothing but McDonalds fast food for thirty days in a row, Benson wondered what would happen to his health if he smoked pot non-stop for thirty days straight. As he joked with the packed SXSW crowd following the film's screening, the experiment wouldn't be too far removed from what he was doing already.

Let the experiment begin.

Just to make sure that everything was as scientifically pure as could be expected in such a dubious experiment, Benson goes clean and sober for a month. He has doctors check his general health and memory while he does the temporary rehab. Then it's thirty days of non-stop tokage (Benson has a prescription, so he's not really breaking any laws here). Bemused doctors monitor Benson's health throughout his "ordeal." He ends up gaining weight and his lung capacity goes down, but his intelligence scores and sperm count go way up. I think that it's safe to say that neither Benson, nor the audience learn anything notable about marijuana use from "Super High Me."

But that's not the point. "Super High Me" works simply because Benson is a very funny dude, stoned or not. The film works as an amusing experiment, made all the more enjoyable by Benson's funny observations, and an occasional bon mot by his semi-famous comedian friends. The pro-marijuana crowd at SXSW was thrilled by the film's wit. Naturally, more conservative audiences won't be quite as amused.

"Super High Me" does eschew humor at the end and somewhat awkwardly looks into the conflict between California and Federal laws regarding marijuana. The issue is too serious to merge with the rest of the film's humor, but not given enough weight within the film to serve as an effective rallying cry for the audience. Who knows? Perhaps Benson needs to make a sequel to give the issue its full due. As it stands, the film can't seem to decide if it wants to be an all-out comedy or a critique of US drug policy. It tries to do both and only partially succeed.

The bottom line is that "Super High Me" is still a lot of fun, particularly if you see it with the right crowd. Benson knows that finding the right audience is half the battle, and since he admits that many of his fans will be too stoned to go to the theater, he is offering to ship a DVD copy of the film to anybody who will set up a screening in their city. You can get all the details at www.superhighmemovie.com.

a novel idea, but quite a big fail by the producers

Author: goatsrrunnin from metro atl
10 May 2013

the main character seems to have some kind of depression problem. he is not motivated, has hardly an intellect, and half-asses his efforts the entire time throughout the movie. okay, i like to smok, a lot, but this movie was really a waste of time. the main character is such a slob lookin kind of guy, and he acts like a slob too. i am upset to see this man representing how good weed can be, or how it doesn't screw you up when you smoke, cause he looks blazed a lot. also, he is so damn boring, i can't remember his name, the is NO co-star or anything like that, and the movie has no direction. you would think if someone was serious about making a movie to sway public opinion, this would be kept off the shelves. on the plus side, you might get a few laughs in, as i did, but overall, wow. pretty much a waste of time.

Decent, but not really worth the time.

Author: Tab132 from United States
29 August 2009

After being told to watch this by various of my stoner friends, i decided to watch it on youtube. This film is a joke turned documentary, a parody of Super Size Me but with cannabis instead of MC Donald's. What i expected was to watch this guy smoke tons of weed and cover subjects related to it, both of which are seldomely met. The truth is, Super High Me consists mostly of Doug Benson stand up act. So for the majority, we just get jokes about being high with a pointless celebrity appearance here and there, with very little concerning the legislation of cannabis. The main point is this, watching someone be sober for 30 days, then be stoned for 30 days, isn't exactly what i'd call entertainment or quality film-making.

There's only about 3/4 tests. One for psychic ability (is there a point?), One for SAT scores, One for Sperm Count, and one for basic intelligence i guess you'd say. Each of these are covered with about 30-40 seconds of screen time, twice in the movie, so your obviously not getting a lot of information for the majority. This movie pretty much just glamorizes California throughout, cause thats the subject most covered. Yes they have dispendencys with different types of pot, yes they have DEA take downs, and yes they have medical mary jane. I covered that in a, probably grammar incorrect, sentence. Here, its covered for about 12-18 minutes, very boring. And for a movie called Super High Me, i expected to see way more usage. There's a surprising lack of content, and as i said before, the majority of the movie is his stand up act.

The actual production is pretty limited. Basically a guy follows Doug around with a camera, not much else, no interview shots are planned or anything like a normal documentary, the only shot setups i really noticed are those of his stand up act, so pretty much its just a guy with a camera filming people talking. No questions are really asked, instead we just have stoners talking about gibberish regarding pot (Although that pot prince guy was pretty hilarious). The sound balance is uneven, at times music will play and render a speaker inaudible. The interviewees don't exactly have any significance, at one point one there is Brian Posehn, who just eats his burger, doesn't say crap, and the scene ends, and also one with his co-star Sarah Silverman, just taking some type of rip from some type of vaporizer, the guitarists of janes addiction is there playing some chords not saying a thing, the scene ends. This is pretty much proof that someone in the crew has to be sober for a movie to be good.

So pretty much all you have here is stand up, which at times, is actually pretty funny. The actual focus of the documentary, isn't exactly 'focused'. Stoners just aren't that interesting, they smoke pot, and sit back and be lazy, thats about it. I'm a pothead who smokes pretty damn often, and i wasn't exactly impressed. Smoke a blunt and watch something a little bit more worthwhile like half baked or harold and kumar, this isn't really a entertaining or groundbreaking documentary. If your really interested in the effects and culture of cannabis, check out bbc's show Should I Smoke Dope, its pretty much what this should have been.

This man didn't deserve to smoke that weed.

Author: thejamesatron from United Kingdom
6 May 2012

So when flicking through Netflix a title like this would usually catch ones (red)eye. I fancy watching something weed related and I've seen How High countless times already. I presumed that this documentary would be interesting, factual and funny. It turns out I was very wrong. Firstly I have to question his integrity to even host such a "Documentary". I don't think there is any true stoner out there who will ever look worried at the "challenge" of smoking weed for 30 days solid. For a lot of people smoking reefer all day is just a way of life. I'm pretty sure that this guy wasn't even inhaling when toking either. Secondly the kinds of questions such an idea could raise are intriguing and probably in someway useful, but the closest he ever really gets to any kind of research is a few short term memory tests. Cannabis is a subject that could be talked about for hours with much depth and with some entertainment but this "Documentary" really seems like a guy who has found a niche market and is trying to exploit it to increase his demographic by filling it with his stand-up. His stand up is a completely different conversation that I'm not even going to get into. Let's just say I chuckled barely a few times at best. If anything I just sat there and felt angry that this man has more weed than me and it is clearly wasted on him. To summarize, I should've watched How High.

Mildly informative, mildly funny

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
16 March 2010

A semi-spoof documentary of Super Size Me, which explores a similar premise to the McDonald's movie, but exchanges burgers with 'medical' marijuana. The lead of this movie is the no2 cannabis comedian in the country - Gary Cohan. He goes through before and after tests, describes his ordeal and does stand-up in the meantime.

Only three things really stand out in this movie: - the short presentation of the situation of medical marijuana in California, where federal law is raping state law and DEA is closing down and arresting legal medical marijuana stores; - the interesting observation that marijuana seems to have improved psychic abilities :); - the fact that the stand-up comic is way funnier on marijuana than off it...

Apart from that the movie is rather a bore and you really feel that it is too long and unnecessary. I'll give you one thing - its absurd that McDonald's is legal, while marijuana is forbidden.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]