The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream

Better

Author: Matador07 from United States
1 November 2008

OK, not sure why I felt compelled to comment on this movie, but having now sat through both the original (pretty good), the 2nd one (awful), and this one (much better), I have a good basis of comparison.

This was not high art, but it was a FAR better movie than the 2nd one. the key here being a pair of relatively unknown actors in the leads who did a nice job and had real chemistry (especially the female lead who was full of bounce and sass without being obnoxious). The leads in the second one were so horribly awkward it was like pulling teeth, but here you have likable and sympathetic characters. And the script lets them be likable too -- another thing that the 2nd movie got horribly wrong.

Unfortunately parts of the script are also the biggest weaknesses with this movie. There a handful of awkward scenes, and down the back half of the movie it was as if they hired some hack to try to artificially find some way to plagiarize as much of the original movie as possible and force it into this one, even when the pacing and fit was off.

But any romance is basically about the romantic leads. If they succeed and work well together, then the romance works. If they don't, it doesn't. Well, in this one they did. And so, not a classic, but eminently watchable for this sort of thing.

Way better than the second part

Author: naiviprez from Puerto Rico
17 March 2008

I saw it last night and loved it. I loved the first one too. It was one of my favorite romantic movies. When the second one was announced, I was so excited. But the movie disappointed me because although the protagonist are great, the movie was slow. In some scenes, they weren't acting natural. I aren't accusing the protagonists maybe the guilty one was the director... who knows? It was such a pity. On the other hand, this movie is way better than the second one. It is fantastic. The chemistry was there and the movie was smooth and sweet. He is so handsome and she is gorgeous. They made such a cute couple. The only "but" was the ending. It was almost an exact replica of the first one. How sad, the plot was different and refreshing. Regardless of that, it is a nice romantic movie.

wow

Author: mommmyjewlz from United States
17 March 2008

I LOVE the original CE. And the second was okay too. But the 3rd just doesn't cut it. So they set up two new lead male and female characters, and bring back Christy Carlson Romano, switch a few MINOR details, and yet it still didn't make me feel a thing. They brought a new male skater who is really hot and a good actor and skater. But the girl just couldn't carry her performance along his side. The chemistry between the two leads fells almost forced. But Romano does give a more solid job in this movie as their badass coach. The love story AND ending is SHOCKINGLY similar, just with more drama regarding the male character's previous relationship. Oh, and there is an engagement in this part too. This movie is nothing special but will help as mindless entertainment.

This time..A Male Figure Skater & A Female Hockey Player

Author: Marian20 from United States
13 January 2015

The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing The Dream is the second sequel of the original cult classic that featured D.B.Sweeney and Moira Kelly entitled The Cutting Edge.

In it,we get to see a story that involves a male figure skater in search of a new female partner after her previous one got injured.That happens to be Zach Conroy.In his own search,he discovers Alex Delgado,a talented hockey player when he gets to play with her brother and her as well after a skating scrimmage.After recruiting her,he recruits Jackie Dorsey,the main character of the second sequel as their coach. Sounds familiar? In the original cult classic,we get to see Doug Dorsey,a former hockey player gets recruited as a partner to a female figure skater,Kate Moseley.This time,some sort of a "sex change" occurs. LOL

Well,this particular sequel was obviously in the same vein of the first film. Not only was it similar with that respect of having a hockey player become a figure skater. In addition to that,we also get to see romance develop between Alex and Zach as well as the "re- incarnation" of the Pamchenko twist in the final scene for them to win the gold medal. While many fans of the cult classic would consider this an exact replica of Tony Gilroy's screenplay, I probably would consider it a remake of sorts for the younger generation who were too young or weren't born yet when the original film was theatrically released.But if there is one big difference in it is the fact that there is less quarreling this time around between the two partners - Alex and Zach. That could be considered somewhat original with that respect.The screenplay just had one big one before the final skate and the final scene where both proclaim their love for one another.Overall,it was a decent sequel or remake and it would definitely be appreciated by the younger fans of the original classic.

The Cutting Edge 3 Is A Blatant Rehash Of The First Film

Author: Desertman84 from United States
25 October 2011

The Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream is a TV movie that follows the 2006 direct-to-video release movie,The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold.It was shown on ABC.It stars Matt Lanter and Francia Raisa.Christy Carlson Romano,the star of the second The Cutting Edge,is among the supporting cast.

Zach Conroy and Celeste Mercier are the hottest couple on and off the ice.Then a nasty spill knocks Celeste out of competition. Zach has to quickly find another partner for the Paris championship meet. In glides Alejandra "Alex" Delgado, a beautiful,tough-talking hockey player with fierce moves and a fearless skating style.

Zach is willing to give her a chance, but his coach, Bryan, is hesitant. However after a fight almost erupts between Bryan and Alex's brother he quits in a huff to train Zach's biggest rivals, Cindy Halgyord and Jason Bright. This leaves Zach with a newbie partner and no coach.Then Jackie Dorsey steps in and puts Zach and Alex through their paces to remain focused on practice in spite of their continuous fighting and bickering.What is also bothering them is their growing attraction to one another.When Alex sees a photo with Zach kissing Celeste she feels hurt and leaves but with the help of her brother and Zach they get back together right in time for their performance. Right before they are about to get their turn at the competition,Zach profess his love for Alex and both give a flawless performance.The End.

Just like the The Cutting Edge 2 movie,this third film follows the same thematic plots and elements of the first film such as one being a hockey player only this time the woman happens to be one instead of the male and professing the partners love for one another that leads to winning performance in the first Cutting Edge.Do I need to even mention that Zack and Alex are going to do the same Pamchenko twist that Kate and Doug did after professing their love to one another?

Too bad that is is practically a blatant rehash for the Sweeney- Kelly starrer.Many of the events in the screenplay is taken from the original.The only good thing about it is that the leads,Matt Lanter and Francia Rais,have decent chemistry and more energy.Although it is a better film compared to The Cutting Edge 2,it still does not hold a candle to the first classic film.Only younger viewers or viewers who aren't familiar with classic Cutting Edge movie would probably appreciate it.

Better than the second, thats for sure.

Author: SkergrL2108 from United States
18 June 2008

I loved the first Cutting Edge, and as a figure skater myself, it's fun to watch movies all about the sport I love.

When the second CE came out, I immediately wanted to watch it. But as I watched it, I became more and more disappointed. First of all, Kate and Doug weren't played by the regular actors, which saddened me. Second, the movie was slow and confusing at times. It seemed like the only thing they did was fight!

Finally, when Chasing the Dream was announced, I was excited, yet skeptical. I didn't know what to expect, since the second one was a disappointment. I didn't watch it on ABC Family, but I came across it at the video rental place and rented it.

I watched it and I immediately decided that it was better than the second CE. I could feel the chemistry between the main characters, and even the actors. I was very excited that they brought back the deadly Pamchenko twist, too. Even for a few minor goofs, it was still and awesome movie, and I want to buy it on DVD now so that on a boring day I can liven up by watching my new favorite movie! I recommend this to every Cutting Edge fan, and even those who don't like the Cutting Edge films, because even they could enjoy this fantastic, dramatic, romantic movie that makes my heart melt every time I hear Alexandra say "Yes, I will skate with you...always."

Matt Lanter is the star.

Author: Hunky Stud
19 September 2009

This TV movie would not be as good as it is, if Matt Lanter was not in it. He looks really pretty throughout the movie.

Several stock scenes of Seattle were repeated in this movie. It was not necessary.

During their "Paris" competition, it is obvious that the arena is the same as they used for the US national competition. And it looks totally unreal, because there was no advertisement around the skating area. And the signs were all in English.

Matt was wearing all those skin tight hot looking, colorful lycra t-shirts which made him incredibly hot. Male figure skaters always wear those skin tight, fancy looking pants and tops when they compete. Why did the costume people give him those boring long sleeves shirt and regular pants to wear when he was competing? Unlike the "Cutting Edge 2" movie, the body doubles' faces were not very visible which is good.

The story is almost predicable. Of course, this is expected for most of the inspirational movies.

conventional, conventional, and conventional

Author: angelshalz from United States
18 July 2008

"Cutting Edge 3: Chasing the Dream" is an ABC original movie that doesn't fail to entertain but is rather formulated and cliché, especially since the previous two movies in the Cutting Edge series have the same plot: An ice hockey player teaming up with an ice figure skater to win an ice figure skating competition. I personally find it annoying, why can't the figure skater turn into a hockey player to win the ice hockey championship for a change? Anyways, following the exclusive "Cutting Edge formula," through their partnership, the players get infatuated to each other, or should I say "fall in love". The actors were okay, I thought Francia Raisa did a great job acting as the high-headed and aggressive hockey player while Matt Lanter looked good but wasn't all that interesting. Christy Carlson Romano didn't have much to do except walk around and look unsatisfied as their coach.

The Cutting Edge Trilogy

Author: blakvelvt269 from United States
26 June 2008

I loved this movie, however, I am forced to recognize other people's comments as valid. And just a historical fact the Winter Olympics are only held every for years. The end of the movie they win the Gold. This was supposed to be them at the Olympics right? And someone mentioned the line delivered by Christy Carlson Ramono about it being 5 years since seeing each other at the last Olympics and they still had like 5 weeks before qualifying point is time-lines for all three movies are off. From The Cutting Edge to Going For The Gold, she was an adult in the movie yet like another person mentioned it would have been impossible for her to be but 13-14 years old mathematically. And the transition to the 3rd movie is mentioned as 5 years, but the banner says 2006, which means it had to be 2 years. IF you can overlook the time-line, I think all 3 movies have their upsides and their drops. It's a toss-up for me whether the original or the third is better. I think the third is more appealing to the younger crowd, but the first one will definitely be the classic.

Loved the movie. Would watch it over and over again

Author: Megan-Erienne from Canada
27 October 2008

I really loved the first one, and usually the second ones arn't as good. But i felt this one was really good. I loved the intensity and it kept me on my toes all i wanted to do was watch it again and a again. I would recommend this movie to anyone that likes these types of movies. I felt this one is maybe more so for kids than the first one. It seems to concintrate on a younger generation, which is a awesome thing. The first thing i am doing today is going to buy it so i can watch it over and over again. I wouldn't really recommend it for men/boys it's kinda more of a chick flick. I loved the story line of this one and the mantality of the actors. And of course the guy Zack is very very good looking.