Kill Switch (Video 2008) Poster

(2008 Video)

54 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Switched It Off
qormi3 November 2008
This could possibly be the worst Seagal flick ever. Where do I begin? The fight scenes are laughably phony and are a throwback to the "Dolemite" movies of the 70's. Yes, that bad and then some. Seagal's face is shown close up while a stuntman does all the work. It's comical to see the ill-fitting wig on the back of the stuntman. The fight sequences constantly use instant replay and this adds to the hilarity.

Seagal himself looks like he is literally dying from some undisclosed illness. His skin is red as raw meat and just as slimy. His face is full of weird pockmarks and it shines from the sweat. The man looks like he should be on some sort of life support. It's funny to see the actresses in the film have to pretend they want to jump his bones every time they look at him. Seagal once again uses his fake southern drawl as he's done in the last three films.

The gunfight was awful - he kept punching in clip after clip and must have shot off 40 rounds without hitting anything. Ditto the three bad guys. After that, my brain disengaged and I fell asleep.
38 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A step back
Where do i start, pointing out the many problems, this movie has?

First off.....the plot. I've come to expect over-complex plot points in recent Seagal movies, but in KILL SWITCH it's not overly complex....it just doesn't make any sense. The flashback to Seagal as a child (witnessing his brothers murder) serve little purpose to the storyline, but i guess they help pad out a few minutes of screen time. And believe me, this movie felt padded. It doesn't even have the (so-bad-it's good) camp value of ATTACK FORCE.

Secondly....The editing. This was some throwback to the days of film-making in the 80's. Occasionly, Jackie Chan (or Tony Jaa) may employ this 'repeated' camera angle stuff, but it's usually to highlight an extremely choreographed fight move or stunt. In KILL SWITCH however, it once again feels like padding (and given that it runs throughout the movie, it feels like it's makers have only got 45 minutes of actual footage, and therefore NEED to show everything twice, thrice and even ten times) Seagal is chasing a suspect at one point, and he comes to a doorway. The viewer is treated to about 20 different shots/alternative angles of this 'monumental' moment.

Thirdly.....The fights. To me it seems that Seagal was not trying to make a martial arts movie at all. Apparently, the makers of KILL SWITCH attempted to beef up (what would usually be a four second fight scene) with extra stuff involving stunt doubles. This is all the more annoying, because Seagal's actual fighting is better than his stunt doubles. The final fight (against the serial killer) is all Seagal (and it shows) it's quick, brutal and efficient. Yet all fights before it, are heavily padded out with lazy punches, reversed shot of Seagal (sometimes wearing a different jacket, because it came from another scene) URBAN JUSTICE and PISTOL WHIPPED have proved that Sensei Seagal can still mix it up as a fighter. But these shoddy film-makers are tarnishing his rep, with these underhanded tactics. It(in turn) makes Seagal look weak, as he'd usually demolish his opponents in 5 seconds (such is why we like the guy) but here, the 'padding'implies that Seagal can punch a guy 30 times (in the face) and STILL not put him down. And i also want to see Seagal break an opponents arms and legs with HIS hands....not a hammer. Don't even get me started on the shoddy (couldn't hit a guy two feet in front of him) gunfights.

Finally...Steven Seagal. He actually puts in a good performance (once you get over the 'southern' drawl) and looks in good (allbeit heavy) shape. He rarely mumbles, and seems genuinely interested with the project (unlike say...FLIGHT OF FURY?)

KILL SWITCH is a step back for Seagal (just as he was regaining some well needed credibility) after URBAN JUSTICE and PISTOL WHIPPED. Although the movie is U.S lensed, is well lit, and crisp cinematography, the god-awful (quick cut, repeated shot) editing, and unnecessary doubling, betray whatever potential this movie may have had. The supporting cast is OK (Rest in peace Issac Hayes) and the music is quite good also. Now that (it seems) Seagal is regaining his passion for acting again, he needs to associate with better film-makers in the future. His next movie RUSLAN is also directed by Jeff King (director of this) so i won't be (honestly) expecting anything special of that one. But as long as they don't start interfering and chopping up their filmed product, it won't need to be great to be better than this movie. My theory on KILL SWITCH is that they've only had limited screen time with Seagal, and (hopefuly?) HAD to cut and paste this movie, to pad it out. If they think that repeatedly showing a guy fall out of a window 12 times, or making pointless scenes last four times longer than needed to be....is cutting edge film-making then (to quote Seagal) "Lord have mercy")

Big Lee gives this movie a 5 (only for Seagal's screen presence, and a OK final fight scene)
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was OK if you knew what to expect.
tardigrade816 January 2009
Well after reading all the reviews on here, I went out and rented it expecting a good laugh and a horrid film, and to my surprise I ended up finding it pretty entertaining. I will say this, I am very upset he would make such a poor film after making 2 very good films: Pistol Whipped, and Urban Justice.

HOWEVER with that aside even knowing there was the classic stunt double in most of the scenes there was still quite a bit of action and yes the editing and showing every punch a billion times got annoying, but for some reason I was able to sit through it and laugh and a lot of the scenes and actually found the stunt double to be very good at what he did.... And surprisingly the scenes where Seagal actually did fight (the end) he looked pretty good himself....

Maybe some need to watch it again knowing what to expect this time haha.... If your looking for a classic Seagal movie like Our for Justice, or Hard to Kill this is not the one for you... but if your like me and have seen his straight to video movies as of late I would say go out and rent it.... what do you have to lose.

By the way Black Dawn, Shadow Man, and Flight of Fury were all way worse in my opinion. So its not like its the absolute worst yet, but compared to Pistold Whipped, and Urban Justice I am very displeased.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kill Switch has just killed me
info-620627 July 2008
Where do I start on how bad this movie is? Segal has always been proud to show off his fighting skills in each movie he has appeared in however this movie features a stunt double in every fighting scene – even the hand to hand scenes! You'll see a fight scene about to start the real Segal, the camera then cuts to the back of the Segal double, his hair looks nothing like the real Segal!!! Segal will pull a mean face the camera cuts to the stunt double who then throws a punch, back to the real Segal, pull another funny face….stunt double throws a kick – this is how every fight scene is cut! Oh and in case you missed anything each hit is shown again TWICE from a different angle. We see a guy get kicked out of window & the shot of him coming out the window is shown to us SIX times!

Segal punches a guy, guy falls to the floor, guy stands up once his 2 friends comes & help him & tells Segal "You're in trouble now". Segal batters his two friends, camera goes back to original who is now on the floor semi conscious????

I turned this movie off at exactly 19.54 it really is that bad
89 out of 123 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another Segal movie
johan hjelm30 July 2008
When I started to watch this movie and saw that Seagal wrote it I got the feeling that this wasn't going to be a good movie. First of all Seagal is his usual self showing of his awesome acting skills. To support him in this movie Isaac Hayes has the role of the forensic doctor and he is awful.

The way this movie i cut in its action scenes is very annoying, every punch is seen 2-4 times and every so often you get a close-up at Seagal looking grim. The choreography in the fight is also bad, since there basically isn't any to be found. The fights are mostly Seagal holding a guy and punching him in the face repeatedly. The gun fights are just as bad and you start to wonder how Seagals character ever made it into the police force, because he can't hit anything at all.

All in all, this movie sucks
43 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Junk
gridoon20186 February 2009
Steven Seagal's previous film, "Pistol Whipped", was a pretty solid little low-budget action thriller, and it looked as if Seagal was finally starting to learn from his mistakes and improve upon them. "Kill Switch" makes "Pistol Whipped" look like a fluke. Does he honestly expect people to like this movie? For starters, the fight scenes are a joke. They're hardly even fight scenes - mostly just Seagal beating up people. Or should I say, his frequently obvious stunt double beating up people. They are edited very annoyingly, with lots of dropped frames, repeated shots, and close-ups of frantically waving arms. Seagal adopts a ridiculous (I think it was meant to be Southern - "Y'all", "Lord Have Mercy", "Sho Nuff", etc.) accent, has a love interest at least 20 years younger than him, whom he completely ignores, because that's what all supercool detectives like him do, and is joined in his latest investigation by a rookie female FBI agent, whom he's a complete jerk to, because, again, that's what all supercool detectives like him do. Did I mention that "he's a genius" and that "he doesn't follow protocol"? And what's with the film's fascination with torture, sadism, close-ups of corpses....blergh. Is Seagal making a play for the "SAW" market? And let's not even mention the completely nonsensical ending. The only semi-redeeming features of "Kill Switch" are some unintentional laughs, and the presence of Holly Dingard and Isaac Hayes (in one of his last roles). *1/2 out of 4.
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Lord Have Mercy: Kitch Action At Its Finest
david leonard5 June 2013
The thirteenth entry in Steven Seagal's direct-to-video canon elaborates on his snuff-wish in ways only an incompetent filmmaker can, but the noteworthy frenetic execution propels it to cult status.

I think it's safe to assume you will watch this in a state of disbelief. Consider an early scene where Billy Joe, one of Seagal's enemies, is kicked out of a window and the shot is repeated five times over. This is really just the tip of the iceberg. The layers of mistakes and deliberate editing choices are what steal the show from the get-go and it's a beautiful ballet of dissonance bathed in self-seriousness, making this the ultimate Steven Seagal movie. Every cinematic tool is abused, mysteries put aside to indulge in bar fights that reach an unthinkable climax of choreographed silliness, with editing that serves the absurd and experimentalism. The violence is extremely phony and the body double reveals, the abundance of cheap sound effects, and a misinterpreted use of the JUMP CUT technique only add to the delicious frenzy.

Seagal with his trademark uninvolved voice (though the southern accent he adopts is hilarious) and his catchphrase "Lord Have Mercy" is on par with the screenplay's lack of emotional resonance, basic coherence and the senseless urge to kick the living __it out of generic antagonists.

That urge is what makes Kill Switch his greatest film to date, that viewers affectionate of irony must absolutely see and see to believe. It wouldn't be a post-millennium Seagal flick if the stunt doubles didn't do the fighting and the music didn't do the acting but in Kill Switch this phenomenon seems almost celebrated.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Funniest film I've ever seen
richard-duncombe28 January 2010
OK, so it might require a drop of beer to smooth it down, but Killswitch is the most entertainment i've had in years. From the first time Segal opens his mouth its just laugh a minute hilarity for however long it went on for. I have no idea what accent he is trying to pull off, but it fails in comedy fashion, most of the time you cant understand what he is saying, but that just makes it better! I'm not really sure there is any plot, I actually think Segal just plays some weirdo no one understands so they give him a big fake case to solve to keep him out of the way of real police business. I guess its a bit like Se7en but with a more slapstick approach. The fights are hilarious, just shots of segal looking vacant, then a body double in a wig shot from behind, then another (same) shot of Segal. We counted 26 re-uses of the same shot in one of the fights at the end which forced us to pause the film for fear of death by laughter.

Im still having trouble working out who segal plays in this movie and the many flashbacks have no relevance on the film at all and are never explained, which just makes them better! There's just so much gold in this film! Why everyone in the film hate women? Who is the random FBI expert who turns up to help the case though admits she only ever worked on one homicide ever? where does segal get his knowledge of astrology from? why does he live in the biggest apartment ever? Who is that woman he lives with? what does his partner do at all in the whole movie? why does the murderer commit any of the crimes? and the ending!!!! WOW! Forget the sixth sense, you did NOT see this coming! trust me, in the 'so bad its good' stakes, this takes some beating 10/10
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another let down for Seagal
shogun-3411 October 2008
I have to give Steven Seagal the credit he deserves, he is an excellent Aikido master, and I am always keen to watch his films, not least because I also train in Aikido, His early films were a breath of fresh air, however of late the films he has made have had bad story line and limited action. Kill Switch is no exception.. Seagal need to go back to his roots, and portray characters that are closer to his own personality.

Kill Switch was a let down, poor editing and the use( or rather over use) of a fight double, inter cut with library footage of Seagal giving a mean face..... for hardened martial artist I would give this a miss. Unfortunately Seagals action films are being surpassed, by the truly excellent Bourne Identity trilogy, The superb Forbidden kingdom and recently Liam Neesom in the also excellent Taken.

Mr Seagal, go back to what you do best.. Aikido action film with a good story line ( please don't continue with the eastern European locations doubling as US/UK locations.

I hope the next film has more substance and Seagl at his fighting best ( think Under Siege/Nico etc.)
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Low Budget Glimmer Man
ryan larson11 October 2008
Most people are going to laugh, but I enjoyed this latest Seagal film "Kill Switch". Sure, whoever edited this film was color blind as Seagals jacket and weight change mid fight scene. Sure, shots from earlier scenes with Seagal are inserted in the middle of a fight scene to make one think he is actually there doing the fighting (horrible when you notice it). However, the concept of a simple story (Memphis detective tracking 2 serial killers) was a great idea by Seagal. It sets up fight scene after fight scene which is what his fans want. The fight scenes are brutal, the flash, quick cut style can be great if used properly-here it is overused...most likely to compensate for Seagal's lack of involvement. The double, triple, quadruple takes on the punches with minimal blood and bruising is also a let down. However, there are some positives (the clown story "does this taste funny to you?") is terrific. I think the overall concept of what Seagal wanted to do with this film is what every Seagal fan wanted. The problem is the low budget, lack of re-shoots with Seagal hurt a lot of his "D.T.V" releases and I have to believe it has to do with his contract. The first 10 minutes of the film are good followed by a bad 15 minutes. The middle part of the film is decent with a terrific ending (I'm talking before the weird Russian family scene which looks like it might be a part of his upcoming release "Ruslan"). I think if he got a theatrical budget for a concept like this film fans would see different results.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of Seagal's More Entertaining Epics!!!
zardoz-134 November 2010
Steven Seagal's best straight-to-video actioneers bristle with wall-to-wall gunfire. They seem almost surreal in their own warped way. Director Jeff King's crime thriller "Kill Switch" qualifies as one of Seagal's best epics since he went straight-to-video. Not only does this Seagal saga boast great action choreography and editing, but also it features two serial killer adversaries. Memphis Detective Jacob King has an iconoclastic attitude. He isn't afraid to dole out punishment when the situation dictates. He divides his time between trying to nab Lazarus, a scruffy-looking white serial killer who whittles astrological symbols into the corpses of his victims, and Billy Roy Hill, a maniac with a knife who loves to slash anybody in sight. Billy Roy is such a lunatic that he buries an explosive device into a hooker's chest and our hero must defuse the bomb. Although it looks like a gritty detective yarn, "Kill Switch" seems like it is far more. The surrealistic aspect of "Kill Switch" is what distinguishes it. The opening scenes about the murder of our hero's twin brother and the concluding scenes where our protagonist arrives at a home to pass out presents to his children and watch his Russian wife strip for him are surrealistic. The fights are brutal but fast moving. "Painkiller Jane" editor Jamie Alain ramps up the fight scenes with his own slashing style. Alain often pushes the scenes farther by repeating shots. One head smashing into a window is not quite as invigorating as the same head getting smashed repeatedly. The fights are so over-the-top that they look like homages to The Three Stooges. The good news is that Seagal penned this puppy. Some of the dialogue will catch your ear. Shrewdly, he pits himself against two serial killers and he has a female FBI agent gunning for his badge. Catching these two killers isn't a cake walk for Seagal. Despite his action packed script, Seagal adopts his funny, pseudo-regional dialect that sounds like he was amusing himself more than the audience.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Seagal is back in Inaction!
mbrooks-85 October 2008
Steven Seagal, looking more like Wayne Newton each day, plays super detective Detective Jacob Stillwell who is desperately trying to track down an evil serial killer. In this latest direct to video outing for Seagal we are treated with horribly choreographed fight scenes (with 90% of the action shot with the back of Seagal to the camera so as to hopefully fool us into thinking the hundred pound lighter stunt man is actually Seagal), and gun fights that are beyond belief as Seagal is apparently carrying a .45 automatic with a 150 bullet clip, but funnily enough he still can't manage to hit the bad guy. The script is populated with characters who spend their entire on screen time telling us how awesome Seagal's character is, they even introduce an young, female FBI agent who has been sent on this case for the sole purpose of witnessing his awesomeness, and you'll love the scene where she throws up at a crime scene while badass Seagal just chuckles.

Just how do these films get green lit?
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun And Really Bad At The Same Time....
homecoming818 May 2009
At first, let me say that "Urban Justice" and "Pistol Whipped" were better movies than this one. Seagal made some really bad movies in the past years, with "Ticker" and "Submerged" being his two worst movies ever. His glory days passed with "Exit Wounds". I love the old Seagal movies. "Above The Law, Hard To Kill, Marked For Death, Out For Justice, Under Siege 1 and 2, On Deadly Ground, Glimmer Man, Fire Down Below". His box-office went downhill after "Under Siege 2" and when "Glimmer Man" and "Fire Down Below" didn't make enough money, Warner Bros. terminated his contract. We all know what happened after that, with the exception of "Exit Wounds". "Kill Switch" is a little what you might expect. The story is entertaining but not exciting or suspenseful. It is straightforward, but what about the strange ending - did that come from another movie or what ?? Once again, a stuntman does all of the fighting which really shows. But we are already used to that, Seagal is out of shape for years now. The dialogue is cheesy. So what has this movie to offer for the fans ? Lots of action. Lots of fight-scenes. And there is some good and very hard action in there. (lots of it is bad, but certainly not all). Seagal plays a hardboiled cop who really goes out of line a couple of times by beating and torturing the bad guys in some extreme ways. He crushes the teeth of a suspect on a bartable and breaks the arms and knees of another bad guy with a hammer. Now that is extreme action. If you love that, than you will see through all the flaws this movie has and will have a good time. But remember: Seagal's best movies are made in the 80's and early 90's. Those years will never return..
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not One of his best
gor-don21 October 2008
If you want a accurate account of the flaws of this movie just read lee nicholson (dolemite72) review it really sums it all up It's a pity really as the film with better editing could have been quite decent the fights scenes in this movie are rubbish choppy and use a really unconvincing stunt double apart from the last fight which is all seagal and boy does the difference in quality prove it the earlier scenes seemed to have been put together by a five year old with a inserted image of a mean seagal intertwined with poor fighting from a stunt double just watching the last fight scene with seagal doing most of the fighting shows what could have been if he did the earlier stuff as for the character seagal plays they seem to over exaggerate the violence him been a cop and all the arrest of the serial killer is a prime example of this as he virtually breaks all his ribs with 2 cops watching then taking him away with no complaint of police brutality I know seagal is a maverick cop but that was just plain verging of stupidity if seagal had did more of the fighting apart from just the last one this would have been a half decent movie but he didn't and this isn't
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What was I thinking to waste a $1.00 on this movie!!!!
marybaughman320 November 2008
It irked me how he spoke. Was that suppose to be a southern drawl? I wonder why he chose to do that??? I was embarrassed for him. The fight scenes were ridiculous. I mean, how much of a beating can a person take before they are knocked unconscious? I guess the bad guys must have been on steroids or something??? The ending confused me because I must have missed something during the movie. Oh, I know what happened, I didn't miss anything, I was just bored!!! It's a shame because I used to like SS movies. You think one would get better with age. If he still wants to act, maybe he should try a different type of role. It's just my opinion.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stop Making sense! Funny bad movie!
roberthansen7318 January 2009
I understand all the bad critics, this movie is really bad done but really entertaining: If you look a Segal-movie you do not expect a coming academy award-winner, for me Segal never was a hero, he was always a honk. Here he acts like Baloo the Bear. And here we go: the movie repeats the action-scenes every time (you do not have to rewind!) and they cut out every time a few frames like Godard's BREATHLESS. Maybe they wanted to waste no time, but on the otherside they had problems to fill 90 minutes: There is no really straight story: the took to stories in on, with a lot of flashback and at the end Segal is leaving to go to his family: this scene could be from another movie, your never heard about his family, maybe he is in heaven - I don't know, but the good thing is that, his blond wife is stripping at the end and he is smiling.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the worst films I have ever seen
drauga10 November 2008
I used to really love Steven Seagal movies. His first films were great when they were made. When I saw that there was a new film with him, I thought it would be pretty good. It sucked! I didn't even make it through half the film. His obviously fake accent was the first clue. As soon as he started speaking, I knew I was going to hate this film. I found myself wondering how he ever made any good movies. Whatever he had in the beginning, he has lost. He wasn't the only problem. All of the characters were unbelievable and horrible actors. The "bad guys" were not intimidating and reminded me of old bad action movies. Another thing that was annoying was that they would take an unimpressive action scene and show it over and over again. I guess someone figured out how to use a new toy in their editing software, but it was not nearly as cool as I guess they thought it was. I know this review seems harsh, but if you watch the film, I think you will agree that Steven Seagal should retire. You would be better off watching static on t.v. than watching this movie.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
what can i say....
OK.. 1st of all. he is getting older, doing the swift moves he used to would look bad. but from my point of view, this movie was awesome. I'm a huge seagal fan and this wasn't a let down like previous entries. Its has a good story, solid characters and best of all DECENT action... so some is shown more then once. does that make it a bad film??

in my view seagal is slowly coming back to form, with pistol whipped and urban justice setting good markers.. things are for once. looking up for seagal fans and will hopefully urge him into making a step back in the right direction. under siege 3 anyone????

15 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I wouldn't consider it bad...or consider it good...it's simply OK.
kyle-mcdonald21 July 2009
Well first let me get started on the storyline I found it to be pretty good but for the most part I found it to be a little uneven and at some points found it hard to understand what was going on. The special effects are well done they look pretty realistic some you can tell are fake but not much of them. The action and fight sequences are well done but I found that they ran a bit to long and that they should cut some of it out, they also do this thing where they replay a certain part of it five times over again and it gets really annoying and they should not have done that at all. The acting in this is actually really good and all of the actors do a killer performance but Steven Seagal's accent in this movie is pathetic I can't even tell what accent it is suppose to be. I found that were many plot holes in this movie and there were many scenes where nothing was happening and it took a while before anything happened again. So I am going to end off by saying it is not bad, not good, but simply OK and it is a take it or leave it movie.

Overall Rating: ***** out of **********

**1/2 out of *****
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
SS needs to learn when he's burned out.
Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but close! And compared to Under Siege 1 & 2, this was a real bomb. How can someone with martial arts talents stoop so low as to fabricate scenes with micro-editing? I was truly bewildered by the poor quality of the fight scenes. His enemies were beaten way beyond death and yet came up time after time without any injuries begging for more! And what's with that horrible southern accent? He didn't sound anything like a Memphis native. It was as if he was imitating some black dialect that represents the South in his mind. Steer clear of this, and I dare say, any future products from this shell of an actor.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very choppy and hard to follow.
guy-dickie10 October 2008
I gave this movie a 6 out of 10 because my brother is in it. If not for him being in this movie it would be closer to a 3. I had a very hard time following the story and the fight scenes were far less entertaining than I am used to from a Segal flick.

I think my daughter could hit harder than Steve does in this movie. He works a guy over in the bar for about 10 minutes and the dude has a few minor cuts on his face. Segal of old would have hit this clown once in the nose turned it to powder and then snapped one of the guys appendages just for a finishing touch.

The best part of the movie for me was seeing "Southern Death Threat" playing in the bar. The lead singer , guitar player and drummer looked rock hard and nasty then you see the bass player smiling and doing his best Paul Mcartney. LOL, good job boys!
"Steven Seagal: Homeboy"
Sandcooler18 July 2011
When you just look at "Kill Switch" with the eyes of a movie fan, you might state that this movie has absolutely no right to even exist. It's badly acted (no surprises there), joylessly directed, very poorly written (by Seagal himself, of all people) and apparently edited by a rabid Stevie Wonder. Pretty much everything you can do wrong with fight scenes is captured within this movie: nonsensical jump cuts, wobbly choreographies (if any), painfully obvious stunt doubles, horrendous framing, just name anything and they've screwed it up. It's a horrid, horrid film. With that said, I must say there's one true saving grace to this movie, a really unexpected one to boot: Steven Seagal's constant and incredibly determined attempts to be a black man. I have no idea where this comes from all of a sudden, I don't know what the idea behind it is, I just know it's incredibly hilarious. In one scene he calls Isaac Hayes "brother". Twice. In another one he for some reason can't stop saying (well, more like whispering) "Lord, have mer-cay", making sure to sound as much like B.B. King as he possibly can. In another one...well, experience it yourself, you won't regret it. You will get a massive headache from the action scenes though, but that's a small price to pay. Peace out, brother.
A Mess.
JoeytheBrit2 November 2009
The name 'Steven Seagal' may not put the fear of God into many people these days, but when it is preceded by the two little words 'written by' it is something to strike fear in the hearts of stronger men than me. Summoning that peculiar kind of bravery possessed by a masochist equipped with a dozen clothes pegs and a wet shoelace I girded my loins and pressed the 'forward' button on my remote. There was no going back now, like one of Seagal's on screen sparring partners I was to be exposed to every sweaty punch and chop the big (big) man chose to throw in my direction.

I can get back the precious 8% of available recording time KillSwitch occupied on my Sky box, and the 90 minutes I lost watching the film are, in the grand scheme of things, only a minimal fraction of my intended lifespan, but my faith in the movie-making business may never be the same after watching this unholy mess.

The story is rubbish – that was to be expected after we learned who the screenwriter was – but the direction and editing in this film are surely something to be amazed by. The direction varies from pedestrian to excruciatingly bad – we see one bad guy crashing through a window half-a-dozen times, another bad guy collapse onto a table three times, etc. The editor keeps cutting away from the fights to the same headshot of Seagal in which he looks like a mildly interested bystander. In one fight scene, his opponent's bloody scars keeping appearing and disappearing. Another fight seems to go on forever, with all participants seeming to possess super-heroic stamina levels, and you end up watching in stupefaction, not quite able to believe that a movie fight scene is actually boring you.

Seagal plays a Southern cop with issues. It seems he witnessed the murder of his brother when he was a kid. What bearing this has on his present-day pursuit of a serial killer is never really explained. Neither is the identity or motive of the murderer. In fact the incident just seems to have been added to fill out the running time, give the director (whoever he is – I really can't be bothered to check) a chance to show off all the flashy tricks he learned while balancing on top of a dustbin to peer through the window of the local film studies classroom, and to give Seagal the opportunity to come over all broody every now and then.

Seagal was never sylph-like but, judging by the way we are treated to a lot of head-and-shoulder shots but hardly any full-lengths shots of him, his girth has expanded considerably since the 90s. In fact, he doesn't even move when he fights: he just parries his opponents' blow and waits for them to stray close enough for him to fell them with his meaty paw.
I think the "Kill Switch" was off in this movie
batman07717 January 2009
Steven Seagal used to be entertaining but in some of his recent direct to DVD movies he has been worse then awful. Some time ago he adopted a very low southern drawl accent which to say the least is very annoying. In this particular movie he plays a "not so by the book" detective, searching for a serial killer. OK, it has a story, he plays a pretty intuitive detective, but, the fight sequences typical to any Steven Seagal movie, which have always been his strong suit are to say the least in this movie, PATHETIC. In the past he would hit someone once, twice then maybe snap their arm or leg and they were done in a matter of seconds. In this movie, and I think it's mostly poor filming and editing, he seems to hit the opponent like 100 times before they finally fall. I mean he is smashing them into walls, cracking their heads against tables, throwing them across rooms and punching, kicking and smashing them. They keep getting up. So, either he his hitting very weakly or the producer thought he'd use some kind of filler technique to waste time. I think the latter. To make a long review short, this movie is not worth the 96 minutes it took to watch it.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Steven Seagal is loosing his touch
biggguy417 October 2008
I was very disappointed in this movie. Way to much time was spent on Seagal's fighting skills. Ten minutes of his fighting skills ( which he seams to have lost ) and the bad guy is still on his feet fighting back .

His aim with a pistol has gotten a lot worst or maybe its his vision. He shoots a hundred rounds at a guy running down a four foot wide hallway and doesn't even hit him once. Even I could do a better job than that.I think he needs to go back to doing more believable scripts.

He does way to much time reflecting on his past. And what is with the guy falling out of the window ten times.We got the idea that he went thru the window the first time.

His movies of late have been not B but more like C movies.
3 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this