IMDb > Open Season 2 (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Open Season 2

Open Season 2 More at IMDbPro »

Not even close, the first one was way better

Author: mergatroid-1 from Canada
28 January 2009

The first movie in this series was pretty funny. A nice lady spoils a funny bear. Bear is befriended by a funnier deer. Bear gets run out of town, but open season is upon them.

The really funny stuff is when all the forest animals get back at the hunters.

The sequel does not occur during open season, so why they called it Open Season 2 is beyond me. Other than having the same characters it has nothing to do with open season.

The story is kind of lame (Mr Weenie is taken back by his owners and the forest animals go off to find him).

To top it all off, Ashton Kutcher is not playing Elliot, and the guy who replaces him (Joel McHale) is nowhere near as good at it.

I had not read much about this movie before picking it up, and had an idea it might have something to do with the hunters coming back for revenge (thus Open Season 2). Once I saw the cover though, I knew it would be more cute than funny.

The rest of the animal characters are pretty cool. The poodle Fifi was down right scary, reminded me of Hannibal. Of course Georgette Franklin Baxter as Mr Weenie's owner is always a treat.

Sure, go ahead and buy it for the kids, but this time the adults might want to find something else to do while the kids watch.

Very disappointing

Author: rjr_uk from United Kingdom
17 May 2009

I loved the first open season, for me its not just for kids, there was a sense of intelligence about the whole storyline, I found it funny and very easy to follow, Ashton kutcher being Elliot made it even better! There is just something about his voice that's funny. But after watching this, its like a totally different sort of film, the whole thing is all over the place with scenes cutting in quickly, different sorts of music accompanying the script, its just makes it so hard to follow, a complete mess in my opinion. There was nothing intelligent about this film at all and yes maybe a kid may enjoy the colour and the silliness but its a complete let down from my prospective. The actual script itself is just so silly and makes no sense, the one other major huge let down is that Ashton Kutcher is no where to be heard, the character Elliot is no longer funny, the voice is just a bit flaccid and has no edge or likability factor. One other thing I must mention is also the animation quality seems to have suffered as well, there is just something off about the scenes where it doesn't seem no where near enjoyable visually then the first one.

My advice would be if you enjoyed for the first one like I did then don't bother watching this and just keep the memory of the original.

Rent don't buy

Author: Bram Van Rompaey from Belgium
6 January 2009

I'm an animator myself... so thereby an animation geek. I really liked the first open season movie. Didn't love it.... but liked it. When I saw it again a couple of weeks ago I thought it didn't feel as good as it did the first time. The story isn't just good enough to watch more then once... maybe twice. But I absolutely loved the look and design of the film. So when Open Season 2 was lying in the shelfs at the local DVD store I bought it right away. Hoping it would be as good or hopefully better then the first one. Just a nice animated film with some humor. I expected nothing more nothing less. But Open season 2 is a real let down. All I can say is that it feels like the just didn't rewrite the script. Stuck with all there first ideas and just rushed it out the door. Even the animation doesn't feel as solid as the first movie. It had some funny moments and some really nice characters. But it wasn't worth the money I paid for it. Maybe kids will love this... but as an adult... just don't expect to see a movie that will have the extra layer so you to can enjoy it as much as your kid would. Still... Boog the bear... for me is one of the best designs of a bear ever.

nothing for children or adults

Author: eagleroost from United States
8 May 2009

With Open Season 1 being so original and full of laughs, this sequel is such a sad disappointment. We laughed ten times during the 60 second preview scenes from Open Season 1 and maybe three times in all of #2. The plot is a very trite adult theme of fear of commitment before getting married. Kids don't care about this theme and adults have seen it a million times. Blah, blah, boring. Lets see, a but* crack joke- so funny, never seen it before. What passes for humor in the other plot line is some sort of play on military torture- is this funny for anyone- especially kids? There was a creative pet paradise setting-umm that's it. What a wasted evening.

Most disappointing sequel of my entire life!

Author: Naylie from United States
27 January 2009

For the longest time, I've been a fan of the original Open Season movie, but this sequel kills it! One year after the first one, Elliot and Giselle are about to get married, but their wedding ceremony has been hold off when Mr. Weenie is capture by his owners and hold hostage by a group of dogs and cats. It's up to them to save Mr. Weenie before it's too late! This sequel doesn't stand up to the first movie that well. Story was too rushed, characters didn't act like their normal selves (most of them didn't) and the animation was okay, but the dialogue grew pretty bland.

Open Season is no Disney movie, but I think Sony Pictures could of try to do better if it wasn't in a hurry to be made. Lots of animated take time to be made, but sequels shouldn't if the fans want more. Parts in it were a little bit boring but not so much interesting. I thought I was watching more of a quick short than to be focusing on a one single movie. The time in it was too fast! I would suggest renting if you guys know what's best for you. Don't buy! You don't need to waste money on it even if you're a fan of the original like I am!

The worst animation movie ever

Author: mahmoud elkotb from Egypt
22 March 2010

This is by FAR the worst animation movie ever created by man. its also a horrible sequel to an OK movie. i think it is a Wayan brothers movie but with animation. all the stupid jokes about food, farts, sex, homosexuality and other mind numbingly stupid stuff. in fact you can see how bad this movie by watching just the first 5 min. this is the worst way you wan spend your time either if you are a child or an adult. technically, this movie doesn't have anything to keep you watching it till the end, you do not know exactly what you are supposed to do, who should you like and how you want this movie to end. and these are the basics for any animation movie that is aimed at children, youngsters and animation loving adults.

Not the best, but it's fun

Author: Joel Ralph from United Kingdom
4 December 2008

I love animated movies, I really do, they seem to have a genuinely happy feel to them, so when I sat down to this movie I had already seen the first open season, and I knew that there were different voice actors and the first one wasn't brilliant, so I just expected it to be a mediocre movie with a few laughs here and there.

I was surprised, because I really enjoyed it.

When compared with Madagascar 2, it doesn't stand up at all, but in its own right it is a very fun movie with some hilarious moments, mainly involving the white furball poodle type dog with the most amazing voice actor for the character.

I don't want to give anything away, but that character alone could keep me entertained for a few hours.

The animation is OK, there are points where it is great, and points where it looks like it was made in the 80s by a schoolkid, but generally it is OK, it does the job, and that is all that matters.

The voice acting is top notch, especially considering 2 of the characters (Boog and Elliot) have been voiced by different people, I honestly thought that it was Martin Lawrence voicing Boog, so hats off to Mike Epps.

The story is simple but effective. It simply tells the story of a daschund called Mr Weeny who was with the "gang" after escaping from his owners, which are an over loving woman and a guy that wasn't concentrated on very much.

Basically Mr Weeny gets found by her again, and Elliott sees her pick Mr Weeny up and he thinks she is hurting him, and the movie starts on their journey to find Mr Weeny.

There are other sub stories as well, but I don't want to spoil the movie, because although it isn't brilliant, it is still good enough to stick on for a few laughs on the cold winter evenings.

All in all, I gave this 7 out of 10, I would give it 8 but the animation problems knocked it down a point.

If it wasn't for the amazing voice acting and the white poofy poodle thing it would have been much less.

I do recommend it though, if you have nothing else to watch, you will not regret watching this.

Excellent! Huge fun!!!

Author: Luka Boshkovic from Montenegro
8 January 2009

Well, I can't say that the story is something to talk about, but the characters are INCREDIBLE, every single one of them is unique, funny, and fits perfectly in the movie. If you didn't like Open Season 1 and you find that a reason not to watch Open Season 2, think again! From hundreds of reasons it is worth of a watch even only to see a cat named Roger, I think that is the most original and the funniest animated character I ever saw in a cartoon! I cant really remember the name of that cat breed that it represents, but in moment I saw the cat I knew what were they trying to say. Every animal in the movie is represented just like it's appearance speaks, but much more deeply and originally.

The original is a bit bland, but this sequel is less funny and more boring, with the same disappointing animation

Author: Electrified_Voltage from Guelph, Ontario, Canada
8 February 2011

"Open Season", a 2006 Sony Pictures Animation production, turned out to be one of the more polarizing computer animated efforts of the past decade, and knowing that before I finally saw it for the first time just several months ago, four years after it came out, I wasn't surprised when I found it to be a mixture of good and not so good. The quality certainly wasn't enough to make me feel the need to watch this first sequel, "Open Season 2", right away. If the original had been much weaker (or probably even just a little weaker) than it is, I doubt I would have bothered watching this 2008 sequel at all. However, I have now seen it, and unfortunately but unsurprisingly, it can't even match the quality of the somewhat bland original.

Boog the bear and Elliot the mule deer now live in the forest together with several other animal friends. The deer has grown new antlers and is about to get married to Giselle, but before the wedding, he is very upset when he accidentally breaks those antlers. At the wedding, Elliot finds that he isn't quite sure if he wants to marry Giselle anymore. Meanwhile, Mr. Weenie, a domestic dog who escaped into the wild, has found a trail of dog biscuits left by his owners, Bob and Bobbie, and can't resist the temptation to eat them, so he eats along the trail and inevitably gets caught by his owners, who take him away in their RV! When Elliot sees this, he tells the other animals at the wedding, so the ceremony is cut off, and the deer sets out with Boog, Giselle, and several other animals that live in this forest on a mission to rescue Mr. Weenie. While they are on this mission, the dog they're looking for finds himself back with a group of other tame dogs led by Fifi, a toy poodle who hates wild animals!

When I watched the original, it seemed to me that the backgrounds looked more primitive than those of any other CGI animated feature I had ever seen. Well, the backgrounds in this sequel are the same. So, the animation is one of the flaws in "Open Season 2", but it's certainly not the only one. I didn't find the first "Open Season" THAT funny, but I hardly watched any of the gags in this sequel without keeping a straight face. Elliot takes Boog's place as the main protagonist here, and his freak-outs and such are generally not funny. That's also the case with the antics of Bobbie, Mr. Weenie's over-affectionate owner (I can see why Mr. Weenie wouldn't want to live with her), and the other characters who are supposed to be funny. The occasional toilet humour also doesn't work, though that's not to say that toilet humour is never funny. I would say the plot of this first sequel is also a bit bland, and I definitely didn't find as much excitement in it as I did in the plot of its predecessor, even if I occasionally found some of it.

This was the first movie I watched after "Monster House", another CGI film which Sony Pictures Animation was also involved in the production of, and I have to say, that film is much better than both of the "Open Season" ones I've seen. "Surf's Up", another Sony Pictures film, the one which led me to watch "Open Season" last November, also far exceeds the 2006 anthropomorphic wildlife feature from the same company in quality. Even though "Monster House" and "Surf's Up" haven't spawned any sequels and "Open Season" has now spawned two, the other two CGI animated films I've mentioned are clearly more popular, which I can understand perfectly. "Open Season 3" has recently come out, but I'm certainly in no hurry to see it, and I'm sure NEVER seeing it wouldn't be a great loss, as it seems to be even less popular than this second installment. Even if you like the first film a lot more than I do, this first sequel could still be disappointing to you, which I guess is very often the case with sequels.

Ideal family viewing.

Author: Jan Strydom from South Africa
8 December 2008

I came home from work and when I got home I discovered my brother had rented WALL-E and open season 2 and of course decided to watch open season 2 first, and not being familiar with the first one I pretty much enjoyed this film, it had a lot of witty dialog that I actually caught myself laughing out loud, and I found it refreshing to be able to laugh at something that didn't have an over abundance of toilet jokes.

Open season 2 in my mind even though its a kids movie, was definitely a lot of fun, and if asked what would I literally recommend for ideal family viewing? this film would always spring to mind.

Of course WALL-E was also very good and funny, only it had fewer lines but also very good family entertainment.