IMDb > Dirty Girl (2010) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Dirty Girl — A rough comedy with good values

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
15 December 2012

Dirty Girl is well named. That girl certainly has an uncouth attitude. I liked her right away. The scenario doesn't bring much of anything new except that liberating sensation you get when you watch a promiscuous girl be the star of a film without an undertone of she-should-change-her- ways. Everything is in the rendering, particularly the acting.

The 80s/redneck campy attitude can get on your last nerve by the end because it's heavily plastering everything, and the end itself is kind of overdone, but that's on purpose to give it a special feel. I could have lived without it.

You hate the guy's father, find his mother very sweet, and finally can't help but understand the girl's real father.

If you want to watch a different comedy, with a touch of drama, it could be for you. It's entertaining.

Underrated Coming of Age Gem of a Movie!

Author: sunshineboxi from Hong Kong
21 June 2012

This movie was fantastic. Honestly. Aside from being a personal fan of Juno Temple- everyone, aside from Clarke's father, acted realistically and heart-felt. The sequences in the movie, especially near the end, evoked some really thought-pondering emotions for me, and it brought me to a new perspective about single-parent families and how this really impacts the child. The writing of the movie was quirky and the 1980s mise-en-scene, Jovovich was absolutely stunning and the plot wasn't dull as some people may have said (coming of age movies usually have that plot- thats what makes it a COA movie).

One thing that would have upped this movie to a 8/9 would be adding more realism. Compared to the plot of Hick or Transamerica, or other girls/boys running away from home in search of something, 'Dirty Girl', lacks the violence and realism of situations. For example; Clarke's situation could have been portrayed in a much more grim and dark manner, where we can see the damages in a much more obvious manner hence making him a more complex character whom had experience.

If you like slightly cliché lines mixed with some good writing and good acting, then give this a chance, you might just fall in love with Ms. Temple.

I think I get this... John Waters as an influence?

Author: seven-johnson from United Kingdom
18 January 2012

OK, so this is an inspiring tale of youth discovering their true-selves and coming-of-age. It's an off-kilter (indy) movie, it's got a bitchin' 80s soundtrack, guys that are cowards, yet discovery their bravery, girls that end up shitty because of bad-parenting, yet become good role-models.

Pretty much, I think you get this movie or not, it's left-field, it's like John Waters post-modern Dada(GaGa) painting, it's impressionist and blurry. Hell, it's bad, clunky and poorly delivered, but I think it was meant to be. Without being all gushy and twee, when it's bad it's almost purposely so, it doesn't do a massive emotional punch, it just sucks the air out of you sometimes, I think that's different and not something I've seen done in a lot of movies.

Really quite touching.

Also, upbeat bonus points for the bitchin' soundtrack - again.

A Clean Sweep

Author: thesar-2 from United States
17 January 2012

What a find. I hated the title Dirty Girl (10/10 Stars) so much, I didn't want to see it. And even following this viewing, I still felt it needed a better name so that more people would see it.

But, I read a little about it, and even 'like'd the star's, Jeremy Dozier, page on Facebook following my research and prior to seeing the movie. Then, I dove into what I will proudly say: this was one of the best movie's I've seen. (This…coming from one of the pickiest critics I know.)

I'm guessing Dirty Girl is supposed to be an "indie" film, but heavens, it feels a lot larger than that. I mean, for one, look at the cast: Milla Jovovich, Mary Steenburgen, Dwight Yoakam, William H. Macy (as a gasp!... Mormon), Nicolas D'Agosto, Tim McGraw, and a few other minor surprises. Even for an indie, you're lucky to get one big name to help promote your movie; this has at least half a dozen. And beyond the actors, the grand production value and direction screams a budget 10x the size of most independent films.

Okay, past the stars and professional filmmaking, we have first-timer Dozier, who was fantastic and equally great: a seemingly younger-version, but far sexier, of Christina Applegate, Juno Temple. They both, apparently, are great friends beyond the camera and despite Temple's character, thee dirty girl, Danielle treating him fairly awful throughout the movie, they had excellent chemistry.

The story's fresh, original and fun. The jokes are laugh-out-loud – my favorite running-gag was the bag of child with her facial expressions. And the emotions run deep. Oh, and soundtrack was a great homage to the 1980s.

Sure, there are plenty of 1980s renditions out there, i.e. the wildly inferior Take Me Home Tonight, but this one not only put be back to the future (of the time), it didn't over do it. No need. It's set in the 1980s, so be it. (Sorry, that was a 1990 reference of Pump up the Volume…but still…) It was a very nice backdrop, such as the hair and the incredible music.

Basically, the movie boils down to mean-slut Danielle who forced into a partnership with fellow high school student, Clarke, who happens to be gay. Allow me to stop the synopsis right there…just for those who don't know, being an out teen in the 1980s was NOT the accepted preference as it is today, or even in the early 1990s. So, I can completely empathize with this character dancing around his sexuality, even though, for the most part he's a free spirit.

I digress. After a hilarious series of events, Danielle learns her long-since abandoned father lives a mere couple of states over in California and she and Clarke team up to go and meet him.

Road Trip Movie? Not really. This is much more brilliant than that. There are just so many more layers to this as a whole to reduce it to that level.

While hardly any movie's perfect – Clarke's enormously homophobic ass of a father finding them on their journey a couple of times was a little too much of a stretch – this one comes very close. I can't wait to see it again. This only happens in my viewing experiences when I see sincerity in both the writers and especially the actors on screen. I need to see someone put their heart in a project and I need to see originality as well as people that believe in their product. You'll find that here. I give it my highest recommendation…and I have already passed the word onto my friends so more people will see this hidden treasure.

Side Note: Sure, I understand the simple title; it's stated throughout the movie as "no one wants to be a 'dirty girl.'" But, I still think the movie would've been best served with a more deserving title that wouldn't typically be proceeded with: "National Lampoon's."

The winner takes it all.. here its Juno Temple!

Author: hakan_lovdahl2 from Sweden
14 June 2013

A late review but i just saw this and wanted to share my thoughts.

Sigh.. what a mess. In 1987 i was at my peak and lived life to my full. Im older now.. I saw the glasses Juno wears and was like.. HM they look really retro, 1970 retro. And those hot pants. HM.. The shoes.. again the 70's.. It became obvious to me that they simply bought the entire wardrobe from Charlies Angels.. the original 1970's TV show. They missed this ???? bad bad bad bad is an understatement of the 1987 clothing and hair styles.

The music is at least from the 80's.(they can get sewed for getting that stuff wrong) But the songs has no real role to play here. I saw an old Pat Benetar album on the floor in 1 scene i use to own back then. And BTW.. did all gay men during the late 80's listen to girl pop artists? Every poster on his wall is good looking girls except the gay men that hangs above his bed.

In short.. Girl hates life and her mother. She knows she has a father out there somewhere. Boy is fat, gay and gets beaten by his father. They meet, help each other flee. He gets to have sex for the first time, and she gets to see her dad. They meet back home, sing a song and film ends.... To make a film and not even care to try and make it realistic for its time-frame is for me an insult to all the movie lovers. Shame on you .. The characters are forced and all predictable. No new touch or feel to anything really.. remake, redo, copy and paste. But the film has 1 little thing that caught my attention..

Juno Temple.. She is so pretty i can't really take my eyes off her for 1 second. The only reason i kept watching after the ultra bad intro of the film. She has nothing to work with here as far as script or role.. And still she pulls it off. She can make it all the way if she just gets the right roles. A tip if you wanna see Juno in a really really good movie. See Mr Nobody.

I gave it a 3 and those are for Juno Temple. She is the only reason to ever waist time on this. (concider downloading screens from movie instead and save some time.)

Håkan Lövdahl

Fell good....feel great!

Author: Mark Jordan from United Kingdom
28 July 2012

Unsure why this film is scoring so low on IMDb, from my view point this flick made me smile, smile, smile.

Its schmultzy & twee, yes...normally this style of flick I would not watch but this flick is super ace, a great film which I can only recommend.

Dozier is simply captivatating! The casting is sumptuous as is the entire film.

The story lacks a little but for-going this minor, and it is a monior complaint (wouldnt normally be in a film) this is a sub-RADAR, Hairspray, Shop of Horros, etc.

Watch & enjoy my IMDb friends, watch and enjoy it for what it is mean to be!

Juno Temple & the rest

Author: wvisser-leusden from Netherlands
29 October 2012

In essence 'Dirty Girl' is no more than a mediocre American family comedy, as are turned out by the dozens. Things go badly wrong and end up well, with all participants becoming a little wiser in the process. And, of course, its story increasingly covered up by a pretty strong sentimental touch.

However, 'Dirty Girl' distinguishes itself by female lead Juno Temple. She is young, blond and attractive, yes, but there's more to that: Temple gets through by her strong and outspoken film-personality. She manages to leave a strong print of it on this film, even stronger than she did in her earlier 'Kaboom'.

So it's quite safe to say that 'Dirty Girl' is a Juno Temple-film. Temple's performance is even more impressive, for in this film she doesn't need to go naked to make her point.

Nice

Author: bptr-1 from United States
7 September 2012

Nice movie with a sweet portrayal by Juno Temple (Danielle) and excellent acting all around. This movie did a really good job of making us feel what it must be like for a teen girl abandoned by her father.

I had a problem with the era. Was Oklahoma really 10 years behind? Because 1987 was much different where I lived (in Illinois) at that time. This looked exactly like 1977 to me (I clearly remember girl having that hairstyle in my High School). I watched the bonus DVD commentary with the director Abe Sylvia and he stated that the styles came from his sister's 1987 yearbook. I guess they were in some kind of weird time warp.

That aside, the movie worked for the most part. The idea of the narration coming from a sack of flour was cute and original too.

My main takeaway was the excellent work of Juno Temple.

Just don't waste your time

Author: Eric Murphy from Coventry, England
11 December 2013

Long story short, It's a story about a fat gay guy and a slutty with no tits and no ass (actually the fat gay guy's are bigger).They are having trouble with their own families. Both of them carrying around a bag of flour which have facial expressions from time to time (It's supposed to be funny but NO). As family's problem built up, the slutty girl is then trying to find her own biological father and runaway from the house. The fat gay guy came out of closet and his father does not like that so he is running away with her. The road trip begins and there are some troubles along the way (It's supposed to be funny but NO). In the end, it's supposed to be sentimental or something but I did not feel into it at all. I don't know what genre this movie supposed to be in. It's not funny (I had no single laugh). It's not drama. It's not romance. It's not a family flick as well. Most of actings are lousy even if there are some familiar faces. The roles somehow don't suit with some of the actors and actresses. The atmosphere is also weird. Story line is boring. Directing is bad. I just tried to watch it until the end to see if there was any interesting thing came up but it wasn't. I don't know why it has rather good reviews on IMDb despite the fact that, this is one of the worst movies I have watched lately. For your own sake,don't waste your time, go watch something else.

Better than most "trashy, DIRTY GIRL coming-of-age" flicks

Author: thomasjwilliams from Kansas City, MO, USA
20 January 2012

I'll go against the grain and marginally recommend this one as it has a few good messages that it wishes to convey to its audience (chances are one giving this obscure title a chance and watching it won't need to learn those "messages", though, as they'll luckily already have them).

Dirty Girl is the story of Norman, Oklahoma high school student, Danielle (Juno Temple - Atonement, Cracks, The Dark Knight Rises), who has the reputation of being the town's "dirty girl" as she puts out, smarts off, doesn't care etc. She always appears to be on the hunt for the new guy who can possibly get her out of the dreary town in which she is a bona-fide misfit.

It is 1987 rural America, and so the only person in school who is a bigger misfit than herself is the chubby and unpopular Clarke (newcomer Jeremy Dozier) -- a friendless closet-case (back in the time when the word "fa--ot" was used tirelessly/acceptably to describe homosexuals). The two are paired together for a parenting project as the class's two rejects ... and they form an unlikely bond -- one that grows throughout the film as the duo go in search of Danielle's true father in Fresno, California.

Dirty Girl becomes a buddy road-pic as the pair escape his miserable home life complete with a homophobic and abusive father (Dwight Yoakam - Sling Blade, Panic Room, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada) and scared mother (Mary Steenburgen - Elf, Melvin & Howard, Back to the Future Part III). Danielle is fleeing both Norman-life and her single mother's (Milla Jovovich - The Fifth Element, Resident Evil, Zoolander) approaching marriage to an over-zealous Morman (William H. Macy - Fargo, Boogie Nights, Wild Hogs).

This is perhaps the first time I have seen Jovovich play put-upon parent and I think she was fine in the role for an actress who tends to play strong and fierce (I was able to buy her tender vulnerability here). The film's highest praise belongs to the Dirty Girl, herself, though -- Juno Temple. Temple is a British screen star but you'd never know it here with a perfectly captured and delivered Oklahoma dialect.

This is a buddy pic/road flick/coming-of-age tale that is slightly better than so many of the other same-genre films released every year. Perhaps the important sub-plot of tolerance and acceptance is what raises this above other fare but I also liked the bag of flour (!). The story isn't the most "well thought-out" and a lot of it couldn't possibly happen as presented; but I looked the other way as this was just a small picture about two small-town souls looking for acceptance in a bigger world and their dreams cannot really be faulted.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]