IMDb > Mulligans (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mulligans More at IMDbPro »

Totally predictable but good

Author: preppy-3 from United States
23 June 2008

Tyler Davidson (Derek Baynham) brings home buddy Chase (Charlie David) for the summer. His hunky father Nathan (Dan Payne) and mother Stacey (Thea Gill) love Chase. Then Chase tells Tyler he's gay. Tyler has no problem with it and tells his family...and Nathan realizes he might be gay too.

The story was totally predictable from beginning to end. I was always one step ahead. Also there's a little sister (Grace Viskovic) who's too cute and intelligent for anyone her age. Still I loved this. It was written by David (who is openly gay himself) and he perfectly caught the feelings and emotions of a gay man coming out to his friends. The acting is exceptional. David, Gill and Baynham are all good but Payne is just great. He has a very hard role to play and he pulls it off. Also the movie just looks gorgeous. They shot it in a small town in Canada and the scenery was just breath-taking. Also there's a few very hot man on man kissing scenes! So it is totally predictable but beautifully done and acted. I give it an 8.

Interesting Premise

Author: B24 from Arizona
14 July 2009

I have a feeling this story is played out in real life far more often than most people think. The psycho-sexual sublimations of real married men in middle age are if anything more intense than those lying at the heart of the character played with understated anxiety by the actor Dan Payne. The fact that the subject of his desire is a younger man rather than a younger woman sets this film apart from the trashy stuff of soap opera and carries it into the realm of social commentary as well as legitimate drama.

Does it succeed on its own as a gripping and well-produced story? Yes and no. There are problems with continuity from scene to scene and timing in general that interfere with the viewer's ability to stay on course by way of identifying with the main characters, in spite of generally excellent acting in the separate episodes comprising a more or less believable plot.

I liked the casting with the single exception of the writer's inclusion of himself as Chase Rousseau -- somewhat long in the tooth for a college kid. He was also quite wooden (no pun) in scenes with both the buddy and the dad.

How does it all end? How do stories of this kind usually end? To the extent that this one prepares the viewer for a unique catharsis the answer to that question will be revealed and the viewer will be satisfied. A solid seven of ten in my book.

A story worth telling!

Author: evelyncrows from Montreal, Canada
30 June 2008

I caught this film at its Toronto festival release and I have to say that this movie was a very very pleasant experience. This is a story that is all too prevalent in society and still under-addressed. Charlie David's exploration was extremely in-depth emotionally and kept a beautiful balance between dark and light, sad and happy, drama and comedy. I also found the cinematography breath-taking. It conveyed a high production value with an excellent 'polish'. It has a quality acceptable in any market. I hope this allows for it to reach a large audience. I was very pleased with all the actors performances, however, I was most impressed by Dan Payne. His portrayal of Nathan was unbelievably well balanced and vulnerable. I have followed his career for a while and have seen his prowess in the comedic realm but this performance displays great talent I would like to see more of. I highly recommend watching this film if you get the chance.

Author: pavarotcheusa from United States
9 March 2009

I watched this movie at a Movie Festival and, along with the whole audience, I gave it a standing ovation. Afterward, several of us voiced the fact that we were so proud of finally seeing a gay movie with such an impacting and, nonetheless, real life theme put together in a smart, witty, realistic, and inspiring way. I've been a fan of Charlie David and Thea Gill for some time. And now, I'm amazed at the talented Dan Payne who did a phenomenal job playing the closeted mid-aged (never too late!) father of the family, who decides to go for the "cliff jumping"decision of being his real self, no matter the cost. A role that many of us can relate to. I can't wait to have it at home for movie night with family and friends. Definitely thumbs up!

Jumpy storytelling without logic

Author: Deep Thought
17 September 2010

I watched the first 50 minutes of this, then I gave up. It was by and large unbearable. I have no problems with the basic premise, i.e. the son of a well-off family returns home for his summer holiday, brings a friend, the friend turns out to be gay, this causes the father of the family to confront his own feelings and his latent homosexuality. I buy it.

The biggest problem with this film, as I see it, is that even though (most of the time) I understand what it is that the filmmaker aim for - it's just very poorly executed. There isn't enough flesh on the bones for things to make sense. It's as if whoever wrote the script knows WHAT the characters need to do, but not WHY. For example, in one of the early scenes, the son of the family makes a big song and dance about how his friend should cover up when he's drying off after a swim. A few scenes later (after the friend has come out to him), the son questions why the friend is covering up (after a shower) when he's normally not shy. Rather than saying, "Because you told me to in no uncertain terms," it turns into an argument about whether the friend's coming out has changed things between them. And this is exactly my problem with this film: even though I understand why they argue and I think the question of what changes when someone comes out is valid, it's as if the filmmaker had to rush to explicitly make that point rather than allowing the audience to see for itself.

In this respect, the film is shallow. I don't see that whoever wrote it actually understands what the characters go through and why they act the way they do.

If you're not bothered about what motivates characters, then you might still get some enjoyment out of this film.

Definitely worth watching

Author: Squeats from Canada
4 February 2009

This film is a shining example of how to properly express a point of view in a way that everyone can understand and relate, rather than the traditional sledgehammer approach that we're used to from the big Hollywood films.

Mulligans deals with the issue of straight vs. gay, and how it affects the lives it touches. The film deftly shows the stark contrast between the forced bravado of the fast-paced college frat-boy lifestyle against the shameless and unapologetic honesty of the exploration of emotional needs and desires. Set against the stunning backdrop of Vancouver Island, the scenery works well to reflect the depth and tone of the subject matter. The lead character shows, for the most part, a confidence in his own sexuality that throws the seemingly "normal" lives around him into turmoil. It forces others to examine their own beliefs and prejudices and decide for themselves whether a person's sexual orientation is their defining characteristic, or just another facet of a complex and intriguing personality.

This film is beautifully scripted to allow the viewer to take the journey with the character, so that when the question of sexuality comes up, it doesn't feel like an issue of orientation so much as an exploration of how best to fulfill the basic emotional need that we all have for intimate human contact. A truly inspirational musical score that works both to drive the action and stretch the heartstrings as necessary is a welcome enhancement to the story. It's rare to find a soundtrack so well suited to the mood of the film, the composer should be applauded for his work on this beautiful score. With its sensitive screenplay and superb acting, this film is definitely worth watching.

A very good character driven film

Author: fpwest from San Diego, CA
21 July 2008

I got the opportunity to see this film on Friday night, at Outfest in LA. This was a very character driven film, and it left myself and my friends talking for the rest of the weekend. In fact we've co-opted some of the phrases into our own vernacular. Without giving anything away 'Go Steelers!' and 'Golf, Golf, Golf, Balls, Balls, Balls' if I heard them once, I've heard them a thousand times. I have to say, for me, I was very happy the sex was kept to a minimum. Often the sex scenes become too long, and distract folks from the story. In Mulligans there is sex, but it's not gratuitous. Thank goodness.

The central characters are very deep and complex, the issues are not so black and white. More importantly, the resolutions are not so cut and dry. If this was the writer's first story, I look forward to seeing what else he has up his sleeve. Most of the cast were relatively unknown, at least to me, but I want to see more from all of them. Actors act, and there careers should span a body of different types of work. For those familiar faces, this was a great change of pace. For the folks I didn't know, I look forward to seeing where their careers will go.

So if you're in the mood to watch a well written, character driven story, that just has a splash of Gay in it check out 'Mulligans'.

Oh Boy...

Author: crispin_13 from Canada
9 July 2010

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this movie. First off, there aren't enough gay movies around (I live in Toronto and if I can't get them here...) and I'm always excited about seeing them and promoting them; however, this is a terrible movie with a couple of highlights. Dan Payne is one of them. He is very good and while there are parts of the script that he gets mired down in, he manages to out act anybody else in this fiasco.

The script is awful. The ideas are sound but the dialogue is choppy and laughable. Thea Gill might be the worst actress I've seen in a long time. Her melodramatics are only emphasised by the bad script and the soap opera music score. Every time someone says or does anything that might be slightly hinting at homosexuality we are bombarded by a heavy-handed strum of the guitar and don't forget the obligatory music video/montage sequence. Sheesh.

The ideas are thoughtful and well intended but I don't want to like this movie in a desperate grasp for movies that identify our culture. I think that we need more than this. This movie is trying to be high culture but its coming off as an ABC Sunday Night Movie. Maybe we've hit a point where we are getting good and bad movies. Straight people get shitty movies; I guess we do too.

Entertaining but slightly weak

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
30 August 2012

I like the film but maybe not for the good reasons. I like it because it is both sentimental and at the same time tense and dramatic. I like it because in the end they all manage to accept the real facts, the gayness of Chase and the gayness of the father forced to be straight for 20 years and revealing itself during the vacation with wife and children as witnesses. To be gay is hard, we all know that, especially for someone who has not been able to experience that kind of love for twenty years in spite of what he felt and knew he was feeling.

I like this situation and the way it is dealt with by all the protagonists. The first one to go big bang is the mother but she negotiates the obstacle rather fast. The son will come second but he will find it hard to accept it and make up with his best friend after all. The father has it hard because a door opened and he could not even control what was happening. He is the one who did not think one single minute. He fell in love and ga-douche-bag down it went. He needs some time to try to find out sex is sex and love is love and that there is an enormous chasm between the two because they are not even the same thing, not even close cousins. The mind and the heart on love's side and the endocrine hormonal glands on the other side. It is sad but understandable for a forced straight monk till the ripe age of 38.

I like that piece of dialogue that reveals how hard it is in our society to just accept love is a passion of the mind and the heart and not of some other appended organs.Tyler is the son and Chase is his best friend, who is gay though Tyler does not know it yet.

Tyler Davidson: I love you man, like a brother... just... Chase Rousseau: I know, no sword fights. Tyler Davidson: Maybe we can find a more macho way of saying it... Chase Rousseau: ...Go Steelers? Tyler Davidson: Yeah, Go Steelers, I like that. Go Steelers. Wow I never said I love you to a guy before. Chase Rousseau: Me either. Tyler Davidson: Good talk.

But that's the reasons why I like the film but they are false reasons indeed. And the real reasons I should consider may make me dislike the film.

The first one is that the older man falls in love with a younger man, his own son's best friend, at once, without hardly one moment of hesitation, without courting the younger man, having some value or quality time with him, exchanging ideas, feelings, emotions, literature or whatever that has nothing to do with sex but everything to do with knowing the other and letting the other know who you are. Within five minutes on the screen, without any exchange of anything but a few looks, the older man starts undressing the younger man. Things may happen like that but it does look and sound like rape or at least hygienic hormonal milking. Sorry but I am a romantic somewhere and when two people meet, even if they fall in love at first sight, they have to spend some energy and time finding about each other, and they generally do. It is too much like: "I am… I know. Hug, First kiss. Second kiss. Older man undresses younger man." At least the older man does not seem to be shy, for a closet gay man for ever since his birth, he is catching up on the fast track.

The second one, and this is a pattern in many films, is that the mother explodes first and then she is the first one to come to terms with the situation. She may pretend she knew the unexpressed sexual orientation of her husband, it does not explain the violence and then the acceptance. She should have been waiting for that moment of revelation, that epiphany all the time. I do not say she could have helped before it came all by itself, hence by accident, but she could not be surprised, not to mention angry and violent, even if only in words and packing a suitcase, because she knew it was going to come sooner or later in today's world of course. Twenty years ago things were different, but she lives in this here modern world with our TV and the Internet.

The third one is the superficial acceptance of gayness, as long as it is abstract, by everyone, even the son who is told by Chase himself and in private that he is gay. As soon as it becomes real they all lose their footing. And this time again it is the mother who completely scatters her marbles with her younger daughter when on the beach the girl is looking at the penis that a friend of hers her age is showing her. Then she scatters them again because the girl is fond of her tennis instructor, a woman, after the first lesson. She is afraid of the word lesbian. And her defense is so weak: I have nothing against it but I do not want my daughter to be like that. And it is this mother who accepts after all rather easily her husband's gayness. Unbelievable. I am afraid that tolerant surface is there only to teach the audience a few lessons about the subject. It is pure ideological wrapping.

But the film is quite entertaining, though we know from the very start who is who and who is going to go with whom.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU

Too Hot To Handle

Author: donwc1996 from United States
27 November 2009

Oh brother did this film spice up my Thanksgiving holiday - what an unexpected surprise - my roomie comes in and says "I think there's something good on Logo - it starts in five minutes" That something good turned out to be the movie "Mulligans" and what a knockout performance by Canadian actor Dan Payne who I see at IMDb is booked up through 2011 and well he should because if anyone deserves to be a star it's this guy - he's got it in spades - the very thing that separates the boys from the men - Dan Payne can act with a capital A - and combined with his outstanding matinée idol looks - he looms on the horizon as the next big star and in my book no one deserves it more. The story itself is okay - nothing new here - and the cast is uniformly good but Dan Payne towers over story and cast in such a way that you can't wait to see him in the next scene - Logo alas has a way of cutting films so that they're a mess but thank goodness for Internet shopping because the first thing I did was go online and order the film and you should too.