IMDb > Yuvvraaj (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Yuvvraaj More at IMDbPro »

Ludicrous dialog, incoherent plot line and horrible acting!

Author: long-ford from India
1 February 2009

This was an absolute disaster, and almost painful to sit through. The only thing the film has going for it are fabulous European locations and grand sets. Otherwise, bad acting abounds, with the main culprits being Salman and Katrina. Some of the dialog is ludicrous ("a hard-core anti-family man!!"), and unfortunately uttered with a straight face. Boman Irani is wasted in a clichéd role. Anil Kapoor has some energy but is sidelined for long periods of time. The plot line is incoherent and makes little sense. Quite frankly, the film is a complete waste of time.

Overall 1/10

Author: Nitin Jain from India
24 November 2008

I don't know what has happened to Subhash Ghai. You cant believe that he is the same guy who made movies like Karz, Khalnayak, Ram Lakhan and Taal. The thing that was good about the movie was Salman Khan's acting. This is the first movie after Tere Naam where he was not Salman Khan and he was the character that he was playing. However he started as his overacting self but mellowed down as the movie progressed. One thing..... Zayed Khan can't act. There are so many technical flaws in the movie. Anil Kapoor is suffering from Autism and still he manages to understand emotions and speak such deep dialogs like he did in the movie. I guess Subhash Ghai needs to look up the meaning of autism first.

Salman Khan is a chorus singer who is not rich... yet he owns a convertible, a sports bike and a big house.

I mean OK it is a movie..... directors are allowed some slack but not this.

The villains Anjan Srivastava and his daughter in law irritating at all times and they could have been scripted better.

In all a bad movie and I feel I wasted my money.

Pathetic! Avoid this film.

Author: hemal_triv from United States
6 December 2008

I saw Yuvvraj today in a theater and I cursed myself for wasting my hard-earned money on such a stupid movie. Zayed Khan cannot act. He should not be acting at all. Katrina Kaif cannot act as well, but she is much better than Zayed Khan. I was actually quite impressed and surprised by Salman Khan. He is the only saving grace of the movie. His performance was good, I cannot call it great, but reasonably good.

The storytelling was choppy, the script was confusing and the character development inconsistent and incomplete. The film just jumped from one theme to another and the story didn't flow at all. Towards the end I was like looking at my watch and just waiting for the film to end. It was really a waste of time, energy and money. It was not Subhash Ghai quality at all. I wonder if Subhash Ghai even directed this film, he must have just signed his name on it. The story-telling was so lame.

The only things I liked about the movie were cinematography and the songs. Gulzar once again has proved that he is the greatest song writer in India. A.R. Rahman music is quite good too.

Overall, avoid this movie. If it comes on T.V. then you can watch it, but don't spend your hard-earned money on this crap!

Subhash is not a 'Yuvvraaj' in Bollywood box-office

Author: cybersupam from Bangalore
2 December 2008

I highly expected positive outcome from this film specially after seeing its first trailer in TV and promoting it as a musical. And also deeply impressed with the song Tu Meri Dost Hai from Rahman. But does it really deserve to disappoint its audience? If I think over this question then it is absolutely 'yes', Whenever any Subhash Ghai film is being made, and about to release first thing that comes in my mind is it must have these common subjects associated in the film. These subjects are – family, wealth, tradition and music. In this case Yuvvraaj is also not an exceptional. In brief, the whole story is about three brothers with numerous differences among themselves are in target of owning the rights of their properties after their father's demise. Not only this, besides there is another globe which is concerned to music. After all this is a Shubash Ghai film.

At first I have to mention is of casting, which is considerable. Then comes performance. Throughout the whole movie only Anil Kapoor is in his form to entertain the audience from his side though he plays something very unusual role in his career. Even that I didn't expect his unique role before finally catching the film.

What to say about Salman!!! He is the one who always play similar type of role which is always related to conspiracy, jealous, bossy and domination. I was so shocked about 2 years before when it was rumoured that he was casted in this film by Shubash Ghai. I couldn't believe it then, but now ultimately I finished watching. OK there is nothing new from Salman in judgment of his performance, character and the role he is offered in Yuvvraaj. His body language, facial expression, speaking manner and dressing looks are not different from his other 10 films. It shows he doesn't commit himself seriously to bring out reality in the character in every movie. It is clear all cannot become either Aamir Khan or Kamal Hassan.

Last but not the least of all three brothers Danesh, performed by Zayed Khan. I don't know when will Zayed be offered for an award winning role in his career. Not even a single film I have in mind to prove that he is an excellent actor. His previous flops like Mission Istanbul or Speed were really senseless and lower grade movies. Here too I was completely disappointed by him.

But again, Boman Irani is always and all time interesting actor whose sense of humour is precious to any movie where he is involved with. He is really a brilliant actor, and in Yuvvraaj his role could have also done by Anupam Kher, but anyway Boman was an excellent choice.

Now come to Subhash Ghai? He has lost his creative ideas and cannot cope up with the present generation audiences, and thus he again provided this kind of outdated script. Moreover these days it is already common in Bollywood stories about brothers rivaling with each other for wealth and money. And this is the exact reason for bombing this movie in box-office. His last movie that audiences as well as critics accepted was his Taal (or before this Pardes which was a masterpiece). It was followed a hat-trick with 3 continuous flops Yaadein, Kisna and Black & White. Now Yuvvraaj reached to fourth serial flop. SO BETTER NOT TO EXPECT MUCH FROM HIM IN THE COMING FUTURE.

All style but not much substance

Author: springsunnywinter from United Kingdom
25 November 2008

Veteran director Subhash Ghai is hoping to resurrect some of the credibility he lost with his previous flops Yaadein & Kisna with this glossy drama. I never really intended to see it when I heard about it because Katrina Kaif is in it and all of her films suck (except Race). But the promos was so good and I loved the music especially the Dost song composed by the best music composer & lyrics writer combo A R Rehman and Gulzar. So I seen it anyway and its about Yuvvraaj (Prince) who gets thrown out of his family. He wants to get married to this really rich girl but her father wants her to marry someone else. So he signs a contract with him that in 40 days, he will become twice as rich as him. He eventually gets closer to one of his brothers and realises that he is happy to help him without wanting anything.

The story & screenplay is o.k. but it's quite long for a 2.5 hour movie because their wasn't enough to make it that long. None of the actors acted well except Anil Kapoor and Katrina Kaif was simply the worst, she is completely crap. Neither she knows acting, language (her voice is always dubbed for her), dance and always fails to impress. I do not like her one bit and if she was replaced by someone else then that would've helped a lot. The film had big sets that were so good and visually impressive that they keep you in your seat throughout. Overall if you have nothing to do on a rainy day or something then watch it but Yuvvraaj is nothing to look forward to.

Author: reviewleon from Hong Kong
18 April 2013

Everyone had a great expectation from this movie,Specially because of the Famous Actors & Directors.But when i saw this movie,it was really disappointing.As we all know the director of this movie,Mr Subash Ghai is a very famous director & have directed some of the legendary bollywood movies in the past.After seeing so many good movies from him, i expected this one to be very good.But it was nothing like it at all.It seems as they made this movie in a very hurry situations.The screenplay was very bad.The whole story concept was good but the way they narrated was not.It feels like some amateur newbie director made it.The music was a disaster also.I know its AR Rahman but bad is bad.The actors did OK job but not up-to their caliber.They were not bad but not great too. Many characters have nothing to do with the story but they are seen in some scenes.Like the evil uncles gang members,the kid etc etc.Who was that kid anyways? Maybe the producers son.The editing is the most worst part of this movie. If they would have edited it nicely then it would had become something else.Cause the editor has no idea what he is doing. The background score is misplaced,at one time zayed is talking with mithun in India & the next moment,he is crying in the streets of Austria.It is one of the biggie movie gone bad.So my point of view is that its a one time see movie.

Could've been so much better

Author: superindrajit from Hong Kong
3 March 2013

Veteran filmmaker Subhash Ghai drowned completely after directing the disaster Yaadein(2001). After which he returned with Kisna and Mr White Mr Black, both being flops. Now, he returns with Yuvraaj. He probably though having a romantic movie with an emotional twist would give him a comeback and great applause. However, such films only work when the script is well directed. However, the script itself is stale and terribly written.

The story of the film is about 3 brothers who are the sons of a wealthy father. Anil Kapoor is the mental and eldest son, Salman Khan is the second eldest and a slacked, and Zayed Khan is the youngest but he is hot headed. The father dies and Anil gets all the property and money. Salman and Zayed hatch a conspiracy in which Anil will have to equally share all the money with his 2 brothers. The rest of the story forms the second half and climax of this utterly boring movie Yuvraaj.

What can be done with a movie when the biggest asset(script) is a minus point in this film. The story starts of well with proper introductions but soon it falls flat, after the interval, everything goes haywire. Certain scenes don't make sense and at the end, you feel the film hasn't been written well and the editing is poor. Subhash Ghai tries his best to handle the film but with a hideous script and poor editing, his direction doesn't do much.

Salman Khan does an average job, he does well initially. However, after a while, his act gets boring. Wanted(2009) saved his career from completely falling flat as this and God Tussi Great Ho gave him a bad 2008. Anil Kapoor does okay but an actor of his caliber should be doing better roles. Zayed Khan irritates, his anger is poorly shown on the big screen. Katrina Kaif looks beautiful but she doesn't have much to do except romance Salman. However, their chemistry is beautiful in that one song.

Music is superb, the Shano Shano song was good fun, the Dost song was a decent one will others were good fillers. Editing and other technical aspects of the film disappoint, but the major disappointment is the script itself.

On the whole, Yuvraaj is a disappointing flick, my expectations were not high because Ghai was not at his best phase after the disaster Yaadein. However, this film was even worse than Yaadein, at least that one had a better prepared script planned out.

Author: Ganesh Salian from Bahrain
7 April 2011

Yuvvraaj,directed by Subhash Ghai is a amazingly painful.

It has a message,but it takes so long to reach the final point.Subhash Ghai extends the movie so much with many unwanted scenes. Eg:-The family of Salman Khan.They are so ironically dreadful.Or even the scenes involving Salman and Boman(Katrina's father) were wasted.

Even the songs,though shot lavishly are so long.They bore you.

Subhash Ghai's direction is dreadful.

The music is a bore.

The cinematographer excels.The DoP too excels.

Performance wise-Salman Khan looks disinterested.Anil Kapoor blows your mind off.Katrina Kaif only smiles.Zayed Khan needs improvement.Boman Irani irritates.Anjaan Srivastav and the rest for the family are purely wasted.Mithun Chakraborty is fine in an special appearance.

Overall Yuvvraaj has style but lacks substance.

An other disaster from Bollywood.

Author: jerrel from Netherlands
5 March 2009

Bollywood's bad PR continues with the release of this movie.

Plus Great cinematography and good music score. Beautiful locations and grand sets.

Spoilers This movie is so lame! Terrible repeating of the same background music score. Bad acting by Salman and Katrina. Zalman Khan, you can't act! Katrina Kaif can only smile like a barby doll. Terrible overacting by Anil Kapoor, an autist who understands emotion. It seems like the director has thought that a consistent story doesn't count and just focus on picturizing and cast nice laughing people who overacts like idiots.

Please Bollywood stop producing this kind of horror. From now on I will only watch movie of Mira Nair, Vidhu Chopra and Farhan Akhtar's.

A Musical Pleasure but Average movie

Author: arundathi
19 January 2009

(1st paragraph may contain spoiler) I wish Subhash Ghai could have tightened the storyline a bit. Zayed Khan and the rest of the supporting cast were unnecessary for the movie. The focus could have just been on Anil Kapoor as a musical genius and Salman Khan as the brother who does not like him and Katrina Kaif who encourages his talent and Boman Irani not wanting Salman to marry his daughter. The inheritance part made no sense at all. (end of spoiler)

Usually Mr.Subhash Ghai brings out a whole new personality in the actors that act for his movies. Only Anil Kapoor fits the bill. Mr. Subhash Ghai wanted to be about music and brotherly love. The music aspect was the strongest part in the movie where as the brotherly love fell short.

Actors/ Cast Members:

Katrina Kaif: Her acting is very sticky and looks uncomfortable. She seems more comfortable in commercial films like Singh is Kinng and Welcome so this sudden change is awkward. Moreover, she could not even speak in Hindi properly for this film and ended up switching to English. Since the setting for Subash Ghai movies require proper Hindi speakers, Katrina Kaif was just too modern for the role.

Salman Khan is alright. He plays his typical character who usually has anger management problem so there is nothing fresh in his acting. There was no room for him to grow in his character.

Anil Kapoor was the best. His role was totally different and very entertaining. He proved that Mr.Ghai could bring a new personality to his actors.

Zayed Khan: He also plays the same typical arrogant character so there is nothing special about him. He barely had anything to do except dance. I really think Zayed should explore different roles like Vaada or Chura Liyaa Hai Tumne.

Boman Irani is another lifesaver. His comic acting provides relief to the movie.

Supporting Cast have no role at all. They were just placed to extend screen time.

A.R.Rahmanji: The songs beautiful and well made. There is a mix of Western instruments blended with Indian lyrics which is Rahmanji's forte. There are catchy tunes is each song and overall the music does justice to the movie. The voices fit very well to each of the character. The costumes and choreography were wonderful.

Storyline: The concept started off as a great idea. Unfortunately, the execution was terrible. The plot was watery and there was no substance. Moreover, the main characters except for Boman Irani and Anil Kapoor were not given a chance to show justice to their characters. There is no dept in any of the characters, making it a boring 3 hour movie with just music to look forward to.

Cinematography: It was nice and different and a change of scenery.

Suggestions: I think Mr. Subhash Ghai should redo his script cutting unnecessary parts and compressing it. It would have been more successful & well received.