IMDb > Kismat Konnection (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Kismat Konnection More at IMDbPro »

Same Old Formula from Aziz Mirza

Author: bobbysing from India
13 August 2008

Aziz Mirza returns with his new movie after "Chalte Chalte". But this time its not Shahrukh but Shahid in a role of next to door young person with a mission to make it big. The movie starts off lazily with some repeated scenes of a middle class person looking for work and this gives you a feeling about what will be coming in the later reels.

The story line has the same old tried and tested formulas of love & misunderstandings so there is nothing new to see. The director doesn't try new plots or topics but opts to stick on to his old story ideas only. You feel restless watching the movie as it becomes bore and slow most of the times.

The only lighter moment comes with Juhi Chawla who plays a fortune teller and who guides Shahid for his future and about his luck factor. This part of the script makes you remember an English flick "Just My Luck" which has a similar plot where, good luck gets transferred from one person to another. But even this interesting part is not handled well enough and it completely fails to entertain the viewer.

Shahid tries to do his best but he doesn't have an author backed role. Vidya Balan is not convincing at all. At times she looks overconfident in what she is doing. Boman Irani as the last minute saviour entertains to some extent. Music department has only one foot tapping song from Pritam and all the other songs are just OK.

Even when the promos of this movie started, they failed to create any excitement and the same was the result after its release. There are all elements of an Aziz Mirza film in this. A boy wants to make big, meets a girl, an affair starts after misunderstadings, a talk about social values, a group of old people, clashes between classes in the society and last minute drama. But sadly the movie fails to entertain.

Falls Below Expectations.

Author: Nikunj Jha from India
19 July 2008

Clichéd. Very clichéd.

Those expecting a romantic extravaganza akin to Shahid's Jab We Met will be very disappointed. Nothing about the movie clicks. The comedy is non-existent. The storyline is predictable and the portrayal is mediocre.

The beginning of the movie although not very promising was at least decent. The first half is light-hearted and raised expectations. But the second half is lengthy and stretches on, much to the impatience and frustration of the viewers. Even the twists and turns were stereotypical and had nothing new to offer. The songs were good and refreshing. The acting was OK. The chemistry between Shahid and Vidya was not very good. All in all it is not a movie worth wasting your time and money on.

A lousy effort.

I Didn't Connect ..

Author: the_birs from Belgium
23 November 2008

I saw this movie lately and now I'll try to comment about it in few words: There is nothing interesting in the whole movie. It's so boring sometimes. The story line is so simple and not connecting at all that when we end it we aren't satisfied at all.

There is nothing about he chemistry between the 2 principal actors. If only the story was more credible and the script stronger than what we had to see.

I liked the dress of the actors and the general colors of this movie. The music was too modern I didn't like it.

It's the kind of movie to watch once and never again.

My vote: 5/10

So Does It Konnect?

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
24 July 2008

Aziz Mirza makes a comeback with 'Kismat Konnection'. I've always liked his films, especially those starring Shahrukh Khan and Juhi Chawla, because they have a unique charm and quirkiness and I love the fact that the story of his films usually revolve around the common man and his problems. 'Kismat Konnection' isn't exactly an original idea. The script draws inspiration from Hollywood films like 'Three To Tango' and 'Two Weeks Notice' but it's not a scene by scene ripoff.

This time Mirza introduces a refreshing pair: Shahid Kapur and Vidya Balan. Kapur's Raj Malhotra has Shahrukh Khan written all over it and the actor acts almost exactly like Khan minus the raw energy and natural spontaneity. If Shahid is copying Shahrukh's acting style, he's doing quite a passable job of it but a copy will always be a copy. I almost gave up on Vidya Balan after seeing her ghastly performances in 'Bhool Bulaiyaa', 'Lage Raho Munnabhai' and 'Eklavya'. However, here she's a lovely surprise. She plays Priya quite well. Aside from her wardrobe, she looks good too. The two share a good chemistry.

Of the supporting cast pretty much everyone does a good job. Juhi Chawla clearly stands out. Her scenes provide some of the best LMAO moments. I still can't get that scene out of my head, where she, as the semi-stoned psychic Haseena Bano Jaan, tells Shahid's Raj 'Shake those booties, babe'. I usually find Om Puri terrible in comedy but here he and Himani Shivpuri are fun to watch. Vishal Malhotra gets a decent role this time and does an adequate job (but sometimes he's a little over the top).

As a whole, 'Kismat Konnection' works to an extent but unfortunately, it does not reach the levels of Mirza's earlier films like 'Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman', 'Yes Boss' and even 'Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani' because of the following reasons:

1. It's shot in Canada. What made Mirza's previous works likable was that they were set in India and concerned common problems of the ordinary man but in this film, it is presented like just another NRI story when it could have easily been set in India. Thus, some of the charm is lost.

2. Not to put down their performances but even though Shahid and Vidya share a good on-screen rapport it's no match for the on screen magic between Shahrukh and Juhi. Perhaps the two newer actors will improve with time if they work together more often.

3. Mirza's films were also known for their awesome soundtracks and the lovely visualization of the songs. However, he's picked one of the worst music directors for this film and as a result 'Kismat Konnection' suffers. Not only are most of the songs horrendous, their picturization is unimpressive and they really slow down the pace.

4. Dialogues were another strength in his movies and 'Kismat Konnection' has plenty of those. But, Shahid's monologue in the end gets too political and a little out of touch when he starts talking about global warming and corruption. I understand that the writer's intentions weren't ill but it just looks out of place and a crucial scene like that needed strong but to-the-point lines.

Yet, even with the flaws 'Kismat Konnection' is quite an alright flick. For me, even a bad Aziz Mirza film would be worth watching and this one ain't so bad.

The connection of lady luck

Author: jmathur_swayamprabha from India
9 September 2014

Lady luck is the personification of luck in the form of a lady bringing good or bad fortune for a person (mostly a male as it's the males who thinks this way). Males look upon the females they love or like as lucky for them and it's just a wild thought that their association brings good luck to them. Well, such phenomena may not exist but several people believe in its existence. And as they say, man's thoughts only reveal themselves to him in tangible form, such things do happen also (may be out of pure coincidence or due to the famous Law of Attraction). Kismat Connection (2008) tells such a story only.

Set in Toronto, the story of Kismat Connection (the connection of luck) is the story of two young architects - Raj (Shahid Kapoor) and Hiten (Vishal Malhotra). They are talented and sincere but their luck does not favour them and they are struggling hard to get work. While continuously approaching Mr. Gill (Om Puri), a director of a construction firm - Batra and Gill in their bid to get a contract, they stumble upon Priya (Vidya Baalan) who runs a community centre meant for the modestly earning people. Soon Raj starts feeling that Priya is his lucky charm. Love blossoms in his heart for Priya and he expects better days for him when two significant developments take place.

Raj comes to know that Priya is engaged to Karan Behl and they are going to tie the sacred knot soon. On the other hand, the coveted contract sought after by Raj and Hiten turns out to be the one which will result in the demolition of the community centre Priya is associated with. After a good dose of comedy in the first half and a good dose of sentiments in the second half, the movie ends in the Bollywoodish 'All's well that ends well' style.

The director of this movie is Aziz Mirza and it is the signature movie of this director who had earlier directed movies like Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman (1992) and Yes Boss (1997) having a similar tone. The movie is entertaining, no doubt. And the theory of lucky charm may not be a scientific one but it may appeal to a sizable chunk of Indian audience (including myself). It's a weak movie all the same with the director trying to pack too many things in the climax when the hero delivers his emotional speech and gets what he wants.

The first half of the movie which focuses on comedy is more interesting and makes the viewer sit through it. However the later part follows the tried and tested formula-studded path and starts boring. Well-identified scenes appear first to bring the members of the lead pair closer, then to separate them and then to reunite them, rendering a feeling that the filmmaker has nothing new to offer. The later reels have a clear hangover of Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006) also when the issue of the dismantling of the community centre for the sake of the project of the mall creates a twist in the story. However everything remains quite predictable and the audience knows the end beforehand.

It's difficult to understand why the filmmaker has set the story in Canada whereas the same could have been narrated with an Indian backdrop in a much better way especially when all the characters of the story are Indian only. Setting the story on a foreign land has diluted its impact for the Indian audience because it becomes difficult to relate to it on account of this very reason.

Vidya Baalan has replicated her Lage Raho Munna Bhai act because she has got a similar role and similar script as well. However while she was perfect for Sanjay Dutt who's much older to her, she is quite a mismatch for Shahid who is younger to her. She appears to be her aunt from all the angles and their on screen chemistry is quite unappealing. Shahid Kapoor, Vishal Malhotra, Om Puri, Boman Irani and others including Juhi Chawla in a cameo have done their respective parts well. More than the chemistry between Shahid and Vidya, it's the chemistry between Vidya and her peculiar friend Boman which impresses the audience.

Technically this movie is good and the beautiful locations of Canada have been captured very well by the cinematographer. The movie is lengthy and should have been made crispier through proper scripting and editing. Pritam's music is good.

I recommend Kismat Connection as a decent entertaining watch to the regular movie buffs. Well, whether you consider someone special as your lucky charm or not, is up to you but you can enjoy this movie which is more or less a fun movie.

Good entertaining movie

Author: Paddy Raghunathan from United States
2 November 2011

First Kismat Konnection is what it sounds like: a movie about kismat and chance.

Most reviews on this site criticize this movie on two grounds. The first being that Jab We Met was better, and second being that the movie is all over the place.

In general, they are right. That doesn't mean the movie is badly made. Nor does it mean the movie is not entertaining. It is not a great movie, but certainly one that has the ability to stay in your minds for a while.

I am glad I did not read the criticisms on this site. I am glad I saw it and enjoyed it thoroughly, and I hope that folks who read my review are actually encouraged into watching this movie.

Since I don't really care for SRK's acting, I don't go by the comments that SRK would have done better justice to the role of Raj Malhotra. Shahid Kapoor has done a fine job. His ability to get into a character is in full evidence.

To put a long story short, Vidya Balan's Priya is Raj's lucky charm, and the narration builds it up in the first quarter very well. The second quarter is Raj finding himself falling in love with Priya. The third quarter is about Raj getting the kabab mein haddi out of the way, and the fourth is when he must convince Priya that he loves her more than his Kismat. The denouement is superb, where we find Raj getting Priya, and his new found Kismat remains intact. In fact, Priya's realization that she is very important to Raj's cause, gives her a new meaning to her life.

Where is the script weak? When Priya tells Raj, "Thee na main tumhaare saath. Hone dete jo hota." The truth is she wasn't really with Raj all the way at the time. Getting rid of the Kabab mein haddi, Priya's love interest, is not all that well done. Those are aspects when you feel the film is a bit all over the place.

When is the script at its strongest? When Priya gets in the way of Raj on his important billiard's shot, no doubt.

Vishal Malhotra, as Hiten and Raj's faithful sidekick is simply outstanding. Om Puri is great, and so is Ms Shivpuri.

Give this movie a try: you will not be disappointed.

excellent movie..loved it!!

Author: muhibur15 from london braaap!!!
6 December 2008

this movie is really exciting and heart touching..i just loved the movie..the acting the story it is so building and really entertaining and one of the song is really good..its worth watching it..really great movie!

if you are into love stories and romancing movies then this is the movie for you.

the story is really good and the acting are perfect..there is nothing negative i can say about this movie all i can say is that i just loved it!!!!

so go and watch it..i am sure if you are into Hindi love story movies then you will enjoy this movie....

by R-A-S-H-3-L

Good Movie , Great Shahid

Author: q_devil from Kuwait
29 July 2008

The movie is really fun to watch it's not the typical Hindi movie shahid really done great job with this project loved his acting the dancing was brilliant the plot is simple with no over acting from vidya or shahid yes he do look like srk in the movie with the hair and the director who only worked with srk how could we not compare him with shahrukh but he done it his way Guys u really have 2 stop comparing him with srk some said it's a srk movie but it's a shahid movie live with it .

if you want to have fun and dance in ur seat watch the movie u won't regret it :)

Good Cast, Poor Screenplay

Author: uncle_g1234 from United States
20 July 2008

Finally, after many months, I climbed on a bus and went to see a movie in its first release weekend. A number of things drew me to see it: Jab We Met was a good movie, so I wanted to see if Shahid was continuing his momentum. Wanted to see how Shahid and Vidya worked together. And was drawn by stories I read about Juhi's role.

Well, Juhi was just great. Boman Irani had a cameo role and was appealing. Om Puri did his role flawlessly. Shahid and Vidya do make a dandy couple, maybe not QUITE Shahid and Amrita, but very good.

My problems were really with the screenplay. It was very uneven to me. In a few moments I thought it very good. But in a lot of moments I thought it was not well written. They were trying for zany comedy and didn't quite make it.

So its hard to give it a rating. I felt the cast tried very hard to make an inferior screenplay great. But I just didn't come away feeling the way I did after other recent movies like Jab We Met. So 6/10.

A Good One To Watch.

Author: Pratik Jasani from United Kingdom
21 July 2008

This was a much better movie then expected.

Raj Malhotra, who was once the most popular person in his college. when he was also top in almost everything, finds himself unable to get any jobs, any projects or any clients as an architect. In fact his Kismat is bad until he meets a Gypsy woman who begins to predict things for him and that he needs a lucky charm to change his life.

Inspired by the Hollywood movie "Just My Luck," it stars Shahid Kapoor, Vidya Balan, Vishal Malhotra, Juhi Chawla, Om Puri, Himani Shivpuri and Boman Irani. The voice over is by Shahrukh Khan and is directed by the director of movies such as "Chalte Chalte, "Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hidustani" and "Raju Bangaya Gentleman," Aziz Mirza.

This is definitely one of the better movies for Shahid Kapoor and one is able to see some sort of chemistry between him and Vidya Balan, who also looks quite gorgeous. It is also one of the better movies that I have seen this year, considering the amount of flops that have been taking place. There are also some moments that are at times funny and Aziz Mirza has done a good job of this and has managed to bring out the best from both his main actors - Shahid and Vidya in terms of expressions.

Conclusion: Although the story is predictable, this is one movie that can be watched with family members and children. Worth watching.