IMDb > Little Ashes (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Average

Author: silvinamc from Argentina
5 July 2010

All in all, I liked the story, the relationship is quite believable. I liked the way it evolves through time, the way their love is depicted in the movie. All the same I would recommend it just to watch while you are cooking or doing something else. I must say that the guy that plays Lorca is amazing, I'd never seen him before but i think he was great, he takes the movie for himself. As we say here,in buenos aires, "se come la pelicula" (in the good sense, mind you). On the contrary, though I like this pantinson guy, besides his looks, hes still not up to a Dali...far from him. He'd better continue playing parts as sexy vampire who walks the catwalk. Something was missing in his attempt to play the eccentric and genius Dali. Probably had they chosen another Dali, it would have been more effective. Great scenery, being Figueres in Girona,could not have been otherwise.

an incredible film with an amazing amount of talent

Author: crazytheatre from United States
17 March 2010

I stumbled across Little Ashes when looking for Robert Pattinson movies as embarresing as that is but I soon became irrevocably in love with the story. I generally am a very open and accepting person and this story truly showed me different styles of life. I believe that the acting all around was fabulously done not only by Robert Pattinson but also his amazing co-stars. Although like the description says, there were a few disturbing images in the film i believe it was necisarry to understand the main point, "no limits". I was so focused on the movie it was only half way through that I realized I was standing up the entire time. even after a few weeks of watching it, I am still left pondering the very well written lines and the character motavations. the movie inspired me to research Salvador Dali. after completing an autobiography on the great man, I realized that Robert Pattinson didn't show the true side of Mr. Dali. Dali was always "mad" even as a child and even though quite and reserved I believe that Robert could have showed some of that side in the beginning. over all though an amazing film and I recommend to anyone with an open mind to watch!

Never stop fighting for what you believe in

Author: blackberrybabe from Moline, Illinois
16 March 2010

Little Ashes is a little-known film that was released last year. It stars Javier Beltran as Frederico Garcia Lorca and a pre-Twilight Robert Pattinson as Salvador Dali.

Starting in 1922, we are introduced to Dali as he arrives at a university in Madrid to study art. He is already convinced of his genius and meets Lorca, a writer and poet. The two form an instant friendship and Lorca finds himself attracted to Dali. During this time, homosexuality was frowned on and even illegal, so he has to keep it a secret. There are shots of Lorca in prayer, no doubt trying to purge the 'impure thoughts' of Dali from his mind. At times he even seems like he wants to avoid his friend. This it proved futile and finally, Lorca gives in to his growing attraction.

As the movie progresses, so does their relationship…until Dali decides he's had enough of Spain and goes to France, leaving Lorca in the dust. Although he is attracted to him, Lorca's obsession is too much and he feels he must leave. The two meet again a few years later with Dali sporting a moustache. After a passionate kiss, Dali tells his friend that he is attracted to a woman and will stop at nothing to have her. He later watches Lorca and his girlfriend, Magdalena, have sex, the whole time Lorca's eyes never leave his. Dali returns to France and eight years later contacts his friend to start a business deal. Dali realizes that he hurt him by leaving and wants to make amends.

Lorca, by this time, is over him and his politics have changed. He speaks out against Franco and unwillingly signs his death warrant. He meets with Dali, married to a woman named Gala, and Dali promises to start things up again, including a romantic relationship. Lorca is unconvinced, realizing that this is not the same Dali as was at the university and leaves. That is the last time the two friends see each other. Lorca is captured and executed shortly after and Dali cries over his loss. Only towards the end of his life does Dali admit the attraction between himself and Lorca; he kept the memories of his friend quiet for years.

Beltran and Pattinson are fabulous in these roles. Both sport Spanish accents and portray their attraction to one another perfectly. Pattinson captures Dali's craziness and uniqueness, giving him life like we've never seen. Beltran makes Lorca real; you can feel his pain when Dali leaves him without a goodbye. I was crying for him at the end of the film. Marina Gatell is absolutely beautiful as love-struck Magdalena. She knows that Lorca and Dali are close friends, but doesn't realize the extent of their closeness until after she and Lorca have sex. I suspect she saw that he was watching Dali and realized her heart would never belong to him. The two remain friends after that and her unrequited love never faltered. She cries with friends upon hearing of Lorca's death on the radio.

The scenery of 1920s Spain is beautiful. We get to see a part of it when Lorca and Dali go for a bike ride through the country. Several times you see the men walking through the square and the scenery is perfect. There's also a beach where they spend some time talking and getting to know each other. The men also swim in the moonlight and that is when their friendship is taken to a new level. Pattinson is convincing as a confused and tortured Dali who is unsure of taking things farther. He finally does but cannot consummate the relationship. Because of that, he begins to pull away from Lorca and this ultimately causes the downfall of their friendship.

I wanted to see this movie because I am a huge fan of Robert Pattinson. I was sick of people saying "he can't act," so I rented his early work. I must say, I'm glad I did. Pattinson CAN most certainly act and he captures Dali to a T. Every good actor does his or her homework when playing a biographical character and this is no exception. Pattinson's eyes convey Dali's emotions during the sex scene, when Lorca comes to visit him and when he hears of Lorca's death. Nothing has to be spoken during those scenes; his eyes tell us perfectly what he is trying to say. And for those of us who find him quite attractive (like me), there is a shot of Pattinson naked standing in front of a mirror near the start of the film. I almost fell out of my seat when I saw that. Gorgeous!

This movie won a GLADD award for Outstanding Film in Limited Release. It is breathtaking, refreshing, funny and sad. If you enjoy Robert Pattinson's work as much as I do, see this film before judging his acting ability. This proved to me that he is more than a tortured vampire; he is an actor. And that is what it's all about.

Vague and silly

Author: potato2
27 January 2010

The year is 1922, and young Salvador Dalí arrives at the Students' Residence in Madrid, hoping to become a great surreal artist. He meets poet and writer Federico García Lorca and budding film maker Luis Buñuel and, though shy, joins their group of avant-garde friends. Lorca falls instantly in love with Dalí who returns his affections, to a point.

This low-budget, art-house biopic is poorly written and directed. We never learn anything about the personalities, talents, or inspirations of the three main characters and Dalí changes from morose student to flamboyant exhibitionist without explanation. Javier Beltran stars as García Lorca and is quite charismatic and sympathetic. Robert Pattinson ("Twilight") is badly miscast as Dalí, however, mumbling in a bad Spanish accent, avoiding eye contact, and looking uncomfortable and often quite silly on the screen.

The script wanders all over the place and becomes dull when Beltran is not on screen. There is no real drama or intensity, in spite of the longing glances and groping. Disappointing.

Not what you expect...

Author: sboyd84 from United States
20 May 2009

HIGHLY Disappointed!! I am a huge fan of Dali and Dali is not even the main character as it is made out to be in all of the previews and reviews! It was hard to understand most of the movie and Pattinson's accent kept changing as well as he has many freak out moments of voices in his head that you have NO IDEA why! They never explain a lot of things. Most of the acting was very good but that was probably the only good part of the movie. It is a fine line to being a gay rights film with the cover of a biography of Dali's school life, (i have nothing against that but they should have been more up front about it) which it is barely about. It was almost as if they picked a famous artist so they could get people in the seats. I am very sad about this because it looked amazing and turned out to be a HUGE disappointment. I recommend if you want to see it, wait until it is released on DVD and save the money.

I hope my expectations will not be vain.

Author: Gelindra from Russian Federation
6 August 2009

I certainly understand, that my voice can be removed from here, but I so would like to learn as much as possible about this film, that I cannot be kept. To me still long to wait, thanks for reviews. But me will have to buy also DVD to listen to "lacks" of accents. While translating all these insignificant trifles leave on the second plan. I would like to see at last film about my adored artist of the Dali. I read its books. It seems to me, I understand why the role of the Dali has got Pattinson. Such over timid and over shocking the person as Dali could play only same over timid and at the same time over emotional Robert. To wait still very long and I has decided to buy film in England. I hope my expectations will not be vain.

One of the worst films I've ever seen

Author: ambynyc from United States
1 June 2009

As a fan of independent movies, I went into this film with an open mind. I thought that Pattinson's performance as Dali was wooden, boring, and uninspired. He is completely miscast and his attempt at a Spanish accent is laughable. Beltran does a decent job in his role as Federico Garcia Lorca, but I was left wanting so much more from this film than was actually delivered.

The entire premise of the film, the revelation of a relationship between Dali and Lorca during their school days, is thin and there doesn't seem to be enough material to base an entire film on. The film is partially redeemed by the cinematography and beauty of several of the locations, but I'd rather have those three hours of my life back.

Gorgeous photography, terrible accents

Author: dromerito2003 from United States
9 May 2009

I would have loved the movie had it not been for the unintelligible accents. I spent most of the time trying to figure out what the actors were saying. If a director fears the US audience will reject a movie with subtitles, he should fear more accents interfering with acting. Better to have a cast of native English speakers. Or make sure to hire some good speech trainers. It was obvious the actors were not comfortable with what they were saying and it really hurt their performances.

I agree with the previous reviewer, at least those parts where Lorca was reciting, should have been subtitled. The photography was beautiful and the story works as a love/friendship one, not much as a portrayal of cultural and intellectual history/environment.

== Just a quick reaction to a later comment: I'm not so sure how authentic it is that Dali, Buñuel and Lorca would be speaking English among them...in Spain. Yes, it would be authentic they would be speaking English with an accent -as perhaps Lorca did while in New York, when he happened to need it-, but it is completely artificial they would be speaking English at all while in Spain, with no English speakers around. Perhaps, Dali and Buñuel would speak French, but when speaking to Lorca, even if they might have mixed in some French, the main language of communication would be Spanish. It would be more believable to have Dali speak Spanish with a French accent after returning from France.

So a cast of only English speakers with no fake Spanish accents would have been better (more authentic, as whatever they would speak would be the default native language in the fictional setting).

Even better would have been a movie in Spanish with subtitles.

Worst Screenplay Ever

Author: harrysdixonjr from United States
8 May 2009

The New York Times Review said it all.

Casting may have been part of the disaster, but the screenplay was so silly, insipid and dull that the cast was stuck with a turkey.

It is amusing to think that the Dada movement, anarchists and surrealists may have been that third rate, but I doubt it.

But some lines do stick out. Dali being evicted from the Surrealist movement.

The accents were a total disaster. Subtitles should have been used when Lorca read his poems in Spanish.

An astonishing waste of money and talent!

All the actors would have been superb with a decent screenplay.

Dali's costumes became an irritation.

Page 5 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5]