IMDb > Insanitarium (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Insanitarium (V) More at IMDbPro »

Cuckoo's Nest Meets Living Dead

Author: JoeB131 from United States
26 July 2008

The premise of this movie is that a man gets himself committed to an insane asylum to rescue his suicidal sister. What he finds is that a mad doctor is injecting his patients with a new nano-tech drug that turns patients into cannibal vampire killers. This is the setup that allows about two hours of unremitting gore.

The saddest thing about this is the participation of Armin Shimmerman of Star Trek. He's actually a good actor, and he spends all of his four scenes on the same set. They probably only had him for a day, and had to work him into the otherwise meaningless plot.

It's not a great movie, it's typical of its genre. It has some interesting performances and some good production values, but honestly, I didn't really care about the characters and don't see a reason for you to.

Watchable; if you like gory films and zombies...

Author: Jon Gillett from Bournemouth, England(UK)
11 July 2008

I watched this last night with some friends, who all appreciate gore-fest style films. I thought it was a watchable film that does show some potential at the start, but about halfway through does unfortunately descend into standard slasher/horror cliché territory...

One of the redeeming qualities of this title was the gore, it has plenty to keep even the most ardent crimson fan happy. The make up is quite well done, considering that most of the meagre budget was probably spent on the two main stars. There are the usual huge plot holes; such as people who are supposedly insane, suddenly becoming lucid and capable of defending themselves, perfecting motor functions and having sensible conversations (keep the bullets, we'll need them!).

The main features include: a doctor having her arm torn off, scalpel to the chin, cleaver to the face, metal spike through the head/mouth, a fair amount of topless female nudity & a couple of cheesy one liners! It won't rock your world by any means, but if you are a fan of this kind of film and you need a bit of escapism (no pun intended), you may find this appealing. I would recommend watching this after going down the pub/bar for a couple of drinks, then back to a mate's place to watch this at the weekend.

I give it 5 out of 10; not Oscar material by a long shot, but not such a terrible way to spend 80 minutes of your life, especially with some friends...

Very disappointing

Author: FntiC from Germany
7 July 2008

I thought this movie would be average .. maybe good .. because of Peter Stormare. But it was extremely disappointing. The plot is very awkward and many parts are missing logic.

The first 20mins are promising because of the creepy atmosphere. Good music and quiet believable characters. But then the story turns from "that could be interesting" to "please not the flesh-eating-zombies again". After the first half it is getting worse. We all know the music from 28 weeks later. You have seen stuff like this a thousand times before and this one isn't very original.

4/10 because they tried it.

Bad Direction and not interesting

Author: Amit K
21 September 2008

Movie is bad, the direction was poor, the plot was uninteresting.

Initially it seems those who turn to zombie like are slow moving and by end they seem to turn fast.

The movie is a copy of other many projects like 28 days later etc but was poorly made. It gets real boring and unwatchable after sometime. Those who don't watch much of horror movies might find it okay but the usual horror buffs wont like this sort of crap.

Overall the acting was just okay, nothing more than that.

The movie is over hyped. A disappointment.

I wont recommend it, don't watch.

I would give it a generous 3.

Not convincing ... but entertaining to certain sense.

Author: robinhood3549 from Hong Kong
20 July 2008

I don't understand why the leading actor think like ... I must get into the institute to "save" my sister? I don't get why on earth suddenly he got the keys to open the doors of highly secured level? The few seconds that I am most "UNCONVINCED" is when "the man contained inside the cage break the arm of the girl"??? How easy an arm to be broken??? I understand the flow of the plot needs to be bloody RED, but I think it can be shown in some other ways convincing. If you take it easy to it, it is quite entertaining because we (with my friends) really laugh about some scenes, and to us, it became a kind of comedian soap opera kind as the film run through the end, then we looked at each other with laughters. Conclusion : many spaces for improving in "directing & producing".

Absurd Premise, but Gory and Funny

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
7 September 2011

The only sister of Jack (Jesse Metcalfe), Lily Romero (Kiele Sanchez), tries to commit suicide after the death of their mother. Jack is in despair since Lily is sent to a mental institution and Jack is not allowed to visit her. Jack pretends to be insane and is arrested and sent to the same asylum with the intention of rescuing Lily from the place.

Sooner Jack learns that the administrator, Dr. Gianetti (Peter Stormare), is a deranged scientist that is using the patients like guinea pigs, forcing them to use the experimental drug Orpheus. Further, the side effect is turning patients and staff into flesh-eating zombies. But Lily and Jack are trapped in the mental institution and there is no way out for them.

"Insanitarium" has the absurd premise of a sane man that pretends to be lunatic to meet his sister that is institutionalized in an asylum. Jack does not seek the justice, but acts like a crazy man instead.

Out of the blue, the plot turns into a gory and funny dementia, splashing blood everywhere like in the trash "Braindead" and other zombie films. In the end, despite the stupid story, I found it funny and entertaining for fans of the genre. My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): "Insanatório - Quem Entra, Não Sai" ("Insanitarium – Who Gets In, does not Get Out")

Cannibal feast in a mental hospital.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
29 July 2008

After his mother died our hero Jack was forced to have his sister Lilly committed to asylum because she began to struggle with suicidal thoughts and became a danger to herself.In order to get close to Lilly,Jack fakes insanity to get committed to the same asylum.Doctor Gianetti,who runs mental ward,created a new drug called Orpheum which turns crazies into cannibalistic killers with the urge to butchery.The plot of "Insanitarium" is routine and silly with tons of corny one-liners,but this has to be one of the goriest horror films I have seen during last few months.The acting is pretty decent and the blood flows in spades with severed limbs,impalements and decapitations painting the screen red.Overall,"Insanitarium" has enough goods to recommend it for fans of blood-drenched horror.

whatever -- I liked it!

Author: cupcake666 from United States
16 July 2008

This movie is a riff on genre flicks like Shock Corridor and Dawn of the Dead. The lead character's name is Jack (Cuckoo's Nest anyone?). Also, anyone who casts Peter Stormare as a "mad scientist" obviously gets the genre... from "Fargo" to "Constantine" to "Insanitarium". Awesome.

So there's an awful lot of blood. That didn't bother me so much and I had to block out some of the really nasty bits but there seems to be a sense of humor running through the film that some of those bitchy critical movie nerds seem to be missing.

This is a movie that relishes the genre. The guy's last name is Romero (as in George A.) for God's sake. And the crazy guy is called Loomis (the doc from Halloween), plus a Hannibal Lecter guy and a Nurse Rachet guy...

If you don't know classic b-movies you might miss the point but if you do you're gonna have a blast.

"If you're reading this letter it's because I've been committed to an insane asylum."

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
28 September 2008

~Spoiler~

When I first saw the trailer for Insanitarium I had no desire to see it. Then I caught Midnight Meat Train and really liked it. I found out that the writer of MMT made his directorial debut with Insanitarium and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. I now regret that act. Insanitarium is just not a good movie. It's about a guy who pretends to be crazy so he will be committed because that's the only way he can see his crazy sister. And wouldn't you know it there is a mad scientist who is experimenting on his patients turning them into brain dead zombies. How many times have we seen this scenario? Nothing new is added and it's not nearly as much fun as the 80's flick Dead Pit (which is a very similar flick that I recommend over this one). Let's face it, when an over-the-top Peter Stormare can't save your movie, you are in a world of trouble.

It was alright

Author: zitzy2000 from United States
21 July 2008

OK, forget the realism you are looking for. Its a zombie movie. Ain't no realism in there. Just like all the other zombie movies.

The first 20 mins I really liked. I think it would have been a cool idea to have him committed and then the movie go from the crazy/mad/psyche kind of view, ending up along the lines of... maybe he is really crazy. But no, they went the zombie route, which was fine with me too, just they could have made this into a ...really maybe he is crazy kind of movie.

Overall, this was a pretty good movie, definitely not for the ones that don't like blood and guts spraying everywhere, a few scenes of nudity, a corrupt guard, and an even worse doctor running the show, makes for a fairly entertaining movie.

Don't take it too seriously, if you are looking for a regular movie, with a not so Hollywood ending, then this one is for you. This is definitely not a Romantic Comedy that you would want to sit down with your wife/girlfriend/partner/significant other with.