IMDb > Dil Dosti Etc (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dil Dosti Etc

Dil Dosti Etc More at IMDbPro »

time pass movie for youth.

Author: kjcreativeeye20 from india
21 October 2010

the good point about this movie is that it totally based on real life and no Indian spices will added to this movie. about acting department all are good. new shah are impressive. but i think the direction department is not good i can't understand what actually movie about , what kind of message actually it gave. if the film based on real life then it should contain clear message.location was good. it used real life location. no modification will be used.Songs was not impressive.Casting was good. watching movie. cinematography is good.watchable movie watchable movie time pass movie. hot scene is not well picked. ending of this films is not good.

A masterpiece

Author: bultu cool (tarun-bultu) from India
18 October 2009

this is a kind of a movie that the today youth wants....

its not like that every body not knows what they want but in the end will they get it? its is about how the youth of India reacts....some will want to change the country but not knowing that their morals r right or wrong..

if u r a youth or a sensible person then watch this...other wise u will only enjoy the utter common dialogs...which totally like u speaks with your friend... film is about the delhi university politics....and the work by the directer is awesome..

i think its a masterpiece....

An "Indian Pie" with a social message.

Author: irisstrings from Dallas TX
29 August 2008

Not always a title will blend in everything to a discussion/monologue. The title above may not be suitable to other viewers. But I think Dil Dost Etc does have a social message which is targeted on an individual basis. This film portrays college days of Apurv (Imaan Shah) and Sanjay (Shreyas Talpade). Sanjay is a student from a middle class family in Bihar who is trying to run election and also win it by all the means he can. Apurv is his fellow mate who is born with a silver spoon. These two students have a totally different background but currently they face almost same situations in the college and they have almost opposite perspective on moral/ethics background. These two students bet to each other and that initiates a series of events which connect them together in the end.

I must say that this film is a great blend of psychology and philosophy of college students who are religious towards timely pop culture and matured audience who perhaps are competitive enough to exercise any and every means towards their goal. Debutant Manish Tiwary has written a clever script that from the first minute ("River of White Water") till the end of the film initiates and propagates various thought processes and live it open to individual comprehension. With humor as a positive ingredient his protagonists speak a language which is definitely thought for. The educational institute seems to be a perfect place to place two characters with different backgrounds and mentality. Though I have seen Sanjay at other occasions but Apurv shocks me. Not only his philosophies and self-ethics bother me but when he talks he seem to have understood a much about his surroundings. He does not apologise for a failed kissing attempt to a school girl (Ishita Sharma) and he survives a great deal of endeavor in the end. "A glimpse of the goal clears away some paths" as he utters this line I wondered where is this movie going to end. Manish Tiwary has ended this film with a social message which has to be self realised and self applied.

Imaan and Shreyas both have acted well. Shreyas as usual is very natural. It was good to see him in a matured serious role. I have never seen Imaan before but I wonder about his courage. Whether I should appreciate his ability to focus on the goal or the goal itself is a mystery. Smriti Mishra as the prostitute is also a great portrayal. The direction and screenplay are running at the same pace. For a debut this is a remarkable film. This is perhaps the best college flick since Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander (1992) though I doubt I would watch it as many times as I watched Sanjaylal Sharma and the cycle race.

My rating: 8/10.

Honest undertones

Author: Prateek Sharma from India
23 October 2007

Coldness of the lead actor (Imaad) really makes up for this movie who perfectly lays the foundation of undertones and implicit scenarios woven by this script. Each character whether its schoolgirl (Ishiita) or the prostitute (Vaishali)or even aspiring model (Nikita) is a built-up for the single question raised and rediscovered in the end of the movie. Provocative yet to the ground reality are the high features, but as usual tapping the best out of Shreyas Talpade would have lead to an archetype(...bollywood cinema...did I say that correctly??). This movie gives you a breathing space but the question remains.... Are you aware of it and seek that space?? I was and I liked the movie till the end.

When you are young you believe the possibilities are endless...

Author: holicowpictures
8 October 2007

A young college fresher, Apu – bored with his life in college in Delhi – takes on his best friend's challenge - can he have sex with 3 women in a day? The women that Apu finds himself attracted to range from a prostitute, to a virgin, to a rich model. As our protagonist searches for women he can love, what is explored are the very nature of friendship, male bonding, voyeurism, sexual perversion and love.

The film is set around students in Delhi University. Through two university hostelers, Apurv, a rich cosmopolitan guy and, Sanjay, an old-fashioned Bihari guy, the film juxtaposes the 'new' and the 'old' in Indian society. Sanjay represents the romantic and the idealist who has steadfastly pursued goals using conservative means. On the other hand, Apurv's life is directionless.

He is a modern day skeptic who between the two ways to know love – emotional and carnal - chooses the latter. The three female leads, that of a prostitute, a school girl and a rich model are intricately used not only as love interests of our heroes but also to have the viewers chart a range of emotions. This film uses a rich ensemble of characters, stories and themes to aptly reflect the mood of urban India.

Apurv has just started his college life in Delhi. To avoid the harsh hostel ragging, he spends a few nights in the city's red-light area. Here, he is introduced to Vaisali, an attractive but sharp-tongued prostitute. Apurv joins the hostel residents in a grand yet eerie celebration of the final day of ragging. He is introduced to the hostel's band-of-boys: Sanjay, a popular presidential candidate in the upcoming college elections, Sonu, an energetic loafer and a Sanjay loyalist, Deepak a visually-impaired hosteler with homosexual leanings, and Mark, an indophile American.

Apurv, more relaxed now, begins to discover life in the hostel, college and neighbourhood. However, lectures in the college have little exciting to offer. He remains bored and pensive, and looks for a challenge that could make his life more exciting and meaningful. In the neighbourhood Apurv meets a school-going girl, Kintu whom he wants to befriend while she coquettishly remains noncommittal. He also continues his visits to Vaisali at the kotha. Apurv's major preoccupation is trying to find women he can love.

In the background, rages the politics of college election complete with student gang wars and Sanjay's maneuvers for the presidential slot. Here enters Prerna Heerjawahar: a hot and rich girl with beauty crown aspirations. Sanjay's charismatic performance in a loud street fight ensures Prerna's fascination for Sanjay. Soon the ambitious duo becomes the odd pair on the campus.

Meanwhile, Apurv has made a limited headway with Kintu – she will allow him to come along for a movie, share a cigarette and an odd kiss. Kintu's ex-boyfriend, Rajesh finds this unpalatable and beats Apurv up. Sanjay's gang avenges this. The same evening, Rajesh is dragged out of his house and brutally pulverized. Apurv can now deal with the 16-year old Kintu at peace. However, Kintu's mother with middle-class values intact ensures that the progress remains slow. Apurv's other interest, Vaisali has proved to be more than a handful. She remains brazen and offensive. Apurv decides to try seducing her into submission – taking it as a sign for a prostitute falling in love.

At a party (-turned-orgy) at Prerna's farmhouse, Apurv hits it off with a new girl. The smooth seduction makes Sanjay admire the easy charm Apurv has with girls. The next day, sitting in an old monument, Sanjay challenges him, if he can have sex with 2 women on a single day. The quiet of the place and his own confidence prompts Apurv to say, "Yes, I can". Sanjay throws another bait, "Can you do 3 women in a day?" Apurv answers in negative, but now he has finally got a challenge he wants to live up to. The task carries both a visceral and a symbolic meaning for him. Apurv spends the rest of the film pursuing this goal. For Sanjay, the race for the college elections too has heated up. He is the top seeded candidate but has got two popular and powerful rivals to beat. The film now moves towards a volatile climax. For all the indulgence and decadence that Apurv thinks he can afford, someone now needs to pay a price.

Love Story explores the very nature of friendship, male bonding, voyeurism, sexual perversion and love. This original screenplay full with realism and black humour shows the coming of age of not only a young man but also the social codes & mores of Delhi.

Cult film - no stars acting, no big publicity just pure reality

Author: aksha nanda from India
29 November 2007

Dil Dosti Etc means Love Friendship and Everything else. This is a new type of film that has come out here – with no stars acting, no big publicity just pure reality and some great music (see the music when Imad is with Vaishali). The film is about a college kid Apurv played brilliantly by Nasirudin Shahs son, Imad Shah who to get away from his boredom takes up challenge from his friend that he will sleep with three girls in day. The great things is sex is only part there is so much more…about the challenges of growing up, city life and what value friendship and love has today. The film shows how much aggressive boys and girls are now in getting what they want – the film poster rightly says when you are young you think the possibilities are endless for you (how true!).

When I first saw the film, I came out with mixed feeling. When I heard hosteler boys dialogues on "holes" girls have, I wanted to slap the duologue writer. I went back confused by this film. I know people who had gone with me enjoyed it greatly. Guffaws and grunts if you know what I mean!!! Second day the film had not left me and I kept thinking why? And I could tell what I hated was not the dialogues but I have heard myself and that memory kept coming, The film was just trying to be true. This is not a regular film in any way… the best thing is a wholesome feeling you are left with that of youth life in India/ or Delhi at least.

Dil Dosti Etc may be a uneven in acting by some characters (not Imad), and some scenes but the response I get I think there is a making of cult film here. Now, I wait to see what next idea the director of the film, Manish Tiwary is going to come up with. I give it 9 out of 10.

(you can visit passionforcinema.com for more articles by the director on his film)

Simply a great film to be seen on Indian Screen

Author: abhinav sekawari from India
4 October 2007

Simply a great film seen on Indian Screen. Thoroughly enjoyed the film even if it needs the patience to see what the story teller is trying to show case… he very deftly builds up several characters who go to university in delhi… they come from different background and want different things in life. The two hero are from two mentalities one is small towner and wants to be a politician in college other is this characters who rummages through life and just wants to fulfill one basic need – sex! A great creation of environment, and subtle drama… that is so missing on Indian cinema. what is amazing about your film is that many many things you don't see if you don't bother things behind actors & lines said by people - . what I love and thank you is you don't have to give a message there is a distinct feeling when movie ends that you want to go back and see it again. We discussed why did sanjay die, and would happened if sanjay had actually lived? Highly recommended guys! (and girls! – you will see girls here who are making their own minds on romance, sex and career….) - Abhinav Sekawariv

Clearly A Case Of A Half-Full Glass!

Author: Vishboy from India
10 October 2007

Modern Day India, Young characters, Delhi University, plenty of crude satires-it might have wanted to be somewhere along the shades of "Rang De Basanti", but this movie very much sits on a half-baked plot throughout. The intentions of the director are clear-to connect with the youth but what lets him down is a below-average screenplay. Imad Shah (who plays Apoorva) is one rich and confused guy who wants to know the simplicities as well as the complexities of life through love. And his idea is to bed as many women as he can to understand what love's all about! Day time he's flirting with a school girl (Ishita Sharma) and come night, he finds comfort with a prostitute (Smriti Mishra). All this in the quest to find and define life and love and its finer points. On the other hand, Shreyas Talpade (who plays Sanjay Mishra) is a student politician who has his middle class Bihari values intact. While actively campaigning in the University, he meets Nikita Anand-a rich and ambitious girl. The basic flaw with the movie is that it has plenty of 'neither here nor there' kinds of moments, leading to a plot that never really becomes engrossing. It shows student politics but the deepness of it is clearly missing like that we saw in "Haasil". The friendship and bonding between Shreyas and Imad doesn't look too convincing, basically everything runs out of steam before it actually wants to grip you.

So what you come across is a collage of moments-from University politics to socialite parties, from estranged parents and their confused kid to down-market prostitutes and their view of life. The climax is good (the best part of the movie) but by that time I am sure, one as a viewer wouldn't be too thrilled.

Coming to the Performances, well Shreyas gets my vote hands-down! He really gives a real feel to his character. The problem with Imad is that he plays a character which people would assume him to play in every movie-it just matches his very very understated on-screen personality!! He might just get stereotyped now in a few more meaningless college flicks. He plays his character well but then, one would expect him to be just like that in real life too!!!!! The girls are OK, Ishita Sharma is a treat to eyes in her school girl look. All in all, not a very good product from the stable of Prakash Jha. Watch it if you just want to feel what one call the DU atmosphere!!

my favorite Indian movie

Author: deven malhotra (deven77083@gmail.com) from United States, houston tx
12 November 2007

this is the best Indian movie i have seen, i left India when i was 11. I imagine going to college like this movie says. This movie has a nice look to it, no flashy actors, everyone in the movie did a good job. This is a one of a kind movie, i love the soundtrack of this movie also. i wish i could have seen this movie in the theater (i don't believe this will be shown in American Indian cinemas)

the movie actors speak mostly Hindi which i like, i do not want the movie to be in English. There is a hooker in the movie also, there is the guy who keeps hitting on the girls and never gets a yes, guy going to the whore house every night (even when he has a lot of lady friends). Fighting a little, a serious/funny movie.

dum laga is a great song from the movie. this movie should win the noble prize. Please go this movie, rent it.

please watch my favorite movie A+ 100 marks

Horrible screenplay

Author: Prady D from United States
8 October 2007

Horrible screenplay, under defined characters and wasted talent..

Ishitta and Nikita look cute but thats probably not something that wud compell a person to watch the movie...

Shreyas Talpade is wasted in the role...

Until the last 10 min of movie, he comes across as a Power Hungry politician and as soon as his girl-friend sleeps with his friend, he starts claiming the importance of his principles...

Totally pointless !!

I am having second thoughts about the one star... But its too much trouble to make it a zero now...

Skip the movie and avoid wasting couple of hours of ur life!