IMDb > Dragonball: Evolution (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dragonball Evolution

Dragonball: Evolution More at IMDbPro »Dragonball Evolution (original title)

Page 15 of 53: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

Dragonball Failovution

Author: mejgan from United States
11 April 2009

"Dragonball: Evolution. The movie made by Fox as a live action adaptation of the popular anime series Dragonball.

Now, I knew what I was getting into when I stepped into the theater earlier today, but that didn't stop me from being enraged at the blasphemy that unfolded in front of me. I know this review will be a little biased, as I am a Dragonball fan, but let me start off by saying that this movie is TERRIBLE. Fox really screwed up on this one. It doesn't even seem like they tried at all. Now, lets review the movie piece by piece.

Plot: Fox had an entire wealth of story an characters and everything to go off of t o make this movie. What did they do? They tried to make their own story. they failed. Horribly. Let's address the length. 1 hour and 10 minutes roughly. Movies now adays are usually an hour and a half to 2 hours long, but AN HOUR AND TEN MINUTES. That's not near long enough to get any of the story to Dragonball out.

The movie went way too fast. There was virtually no time for character development. Scenes moved way too fast, the story went too fast, and overall the movie was too fast (which could be a good or a bad thing).

The story itself. It just doesn't seem like Dragonball. the plot just seemed like generic action movie. You could've replaced all the characters and it would've made just as much sense. There were so many flaws and inconsistencies with the actual Dragonball story (way too many to write about right now). Any Dragonball fan will just be asking Why? the entire time. Also, Goku going to high school. WTF?! Let's just move on

Characters: Let me just get this off my chest, JUSTIN CHATWIN IS NOT GOKU, AND HE NEVER WILL BE. Now, Goku's character, if you've never seen the series, is basically happy, dumb, and doesn't know the ways of the world. In the movie, however, he is typical anxiety, smart-ass teenager. The character is nothing like Goku in any way shape or form, physically, or in behavior.

Next character: Bulma. Again physically looks nothing like Bluma. They put one streak of blue in her hair I guess to make people tell that she's Bulma. Since when can we not give characters colored hair? Seriously, what the hell? She seems like much more of a bitch than she does in the series. Not much character development there.

Master Roshi: Master Roshi is supposed to be a perverted old man who teaches Goku the Kamehameha. He teaches Goku the Kamehameha, but he is in no way the Master Roshi I knew.

Chi Chi: Goku's love interest. Since when is Chi Chi the popular chick? Other than that she just seems like a generic love interest.

Yamcha: First of all, he's blond. WTF? Second of all, they actually got this character pretty good, voice and all. It just doesn't match the look of the character. Also, WHERE'S THE WOLF FANG FIST?!

King Piccolo: All I can say is, Space Voldemort.

Mai: Just a random villain character because I guess they couldn't pick out any of the other various villains of Dragonball.

Overall, the characters just have no uniqueness to them, none of that special Dragonball flavor that they're supposed to have. None of the characters seem like themselves, with the exception of Yamcha, and there's virtually no character development.

Special effects: The special effects are very low grade in this film. The ki blasts look okay. The Kamehameha does not look like a Kamehameha. Piccolo looks like Voldemort. Shenlong looks like a generic dragon, and doesn't speak. Oozaru looked horrible (too small, and Goku didn't have a tail in which to transform).

I'm sure I left out a lot, but I just don't feel like typing about this anymore. If you're a Dragonball, fan do yourself a favor and don't see this movie. Watch it online if you just HAVE to see it. This movie is NOT Dragonball, only in names (which they surprisingly got right). Overall, terrible movie, and will never see it again. Also, they are actually making a SEQUEL!! WHY?!?!?! No......just no. Fox, you've already ruined it. Stop beating the already dead, burned, chopped up, and run over, horse."

I knew it was gonna suck, but expected something, anything for $100 million bucks!!!!!

Author: David Gutiérrez from United States
7 May 2009

Don't even know where to begin.... I've been reading some of the comments posted here, and I must agree with pretty much everything real fans like me have to say about it. I already lost 2 hours off my life (thank God I didn't pay to see that sh*tty movie), so at least I won't have to waste much more time bitching about every little detail about the hideousness that the movie was. I mean, c'mon!!!! Goku can't even take a bullet here??? He could not jump his ass out of that hole??? He likes girls??? I bet he even wacks off to Chi Chi. And what's the deal about the kame hame ha??? The real Goku learned it just by watching Master Roshi when he put out the fire from the castle. This one couldn't do it until chi chi taught him. The poses were all wrong. And the Oozaru transformation??? He needs an eclipse to transform, but not a tail??? And that was probably the dwarf version of the great ape. Why couldn't they have made a really cool fight with punches and kicks, just like they did in Matrix Revolutions??? I mean, the budget was almost the same and the effects shown in The Matrix Revolutions were a whole lot better than these, a movie made 6 freaking years before this hideousness!!! To the producers: Please, oh please, don't even try to make a sequel. If you don't need the money, donate it to a charity or something, don't break our hearts again.

Fail. Go with forbidden kingdom instead...

Author: aleclemlij from Peru
7 May 2009

as many other reviewers, I grew up watching DB. Between some good action series (dark angel) and action movies (Fantasic Four) I thought Fox was going to do a good tribute. But no. This movie was terrible. Plot was changed deliberately it had almost nothing to do with the original saga. Fight scenes were good but minor and other than one or two cheap "After Effects" power blasts (won't reduce myself to call those abominations kamehameha or mafuba) the movie failed to impress me. Not only they disprespected us old-school fans, but also a great and very known Japanese singer Ayumi Hamasaki, who composed a song SPECIALLY for Toriyama and the movie. And guess what? Fox didn't use it!! Well they did, but only in stupid credits that song was fantastic for an action scene. What a joke!! If you want to see a good "live action version" of Dragon Ball, go with "Forbidden Kingdom" (Jackie Chan and Jet Li). Not really based on Dragon ball but on Monkey King (DB too so they have some similarity) This movie just doesn't worth it. Except three hot chicks and a fantastic (altough terribly misused)song by Ayu, there is nothing I can save nor recommend about this movie. Are you a DB fan? You can avoid this. I give it two stars instead of 1 because granted, its still way better than the one china did in 1991. But don't get fooled: both movies suck anyways.

Waste of Popcorn!!!

Author: Eko Nugroho from Germany
2 May 2009

I can not agree more with most of the reviewers! The movie is so bad that I feel really guilty to eat my popcorn. Afterward I really think that my popcorn was too precious to be eat during such a movie! If you are a die hard fans of the comic...you will wish to have have all 7 Dragonball in your hand, so that you can make a wish that those who in charge in making this movie were never been hired!!!

OK let's be fair...let's make a list what is good about the movie: 1.The color and the background, some time they were so beautiful and look like a big painting in the wall. If I could stop the movie, take a good picture of them, I thing it would worth as a background of a background (that no one can see).

2. The "Kamehameha", it was so funny, reminds me of my best friend who always go the the toilet and scream a loud!

3. .....I am sorry, it's just to painful to push my mind producing an imaginary good impression about the movie, please allow me stop here!

I dedicated this review for my salty, beautiful popcorn...I am sorry, I really should keep you for the other (better) movie! James Wong..sir...you own me a big salty bag of popcorn!!!

By the way, if you ask me why I give the 2 stars rather than 1, I should tell you that the other star is for my popcorn! They are just good and salty!

Dragonball (Emo)lution

Author: dorado_germin53 from Venezuela
13 April 2009

Well... I've been a fan of dragon ball since i was a kid and to be sincere, THIS MOVIE WAS A (DISASTER OF CATASTROPHIC PROPORTIONS)OH MY GOD.!!!!WHAT WERE THEY THINKING.!!!!!!! I'm extremely disappointed..!!!! this movie was about an Emo Goku.!!!!!!! I can't stand it! FOX YOU HAVE RUINED ALL MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES. why..??? why did u guys made a movie like this..!!!! don't u have any respect for the fans, do you????? After watching this movie now i realize that there's nothing in common with the actual anime, only some of the characters names and the dragon balls. Dragon ball is an epic - fantasy - martial arts - comic/anime, NOT AN American PIEDISH, KARATE KIDDISH MOVIE FOR GOD's SAKE.!

the awful true

Author: warsome87 from United States
12 April 2009

this movie 1 out of 10 is a 0 . but i have to choose 1 to 10 , so i put one.

OK , its a dragon ball movie!! , that was the reason that i went to see it , i was thinking American dragon ball have to be not much good , but i went to see it any way , because is a dragon ball movie.

to words

short and bad (really bad) , the movie was a pain to see , my girl went crazy , she was like "men this is really bad" and i was like , let finish it is a dragon ball movie hehe , but really it was bad , bad casting , bad actors ,yun-fat chow was the only actor that i fell was more or less good ,Justin Chatwin acting was terrible , with all the respect he don't look like a warrior or a action actor ,its an American dragon ball but everyone is Asian except justin chatwin. WHY???. there's not much fight scenes , is a action movie what the...... is James Wong thinking (i like "the one" with jet li he was the director but "the one" was really short like dragon ball).

don't , i say it again; don't!!!!! waste your money in that movie , the economy is bad , so if you like to see a movie , go and see other movie because if you see this movie you will be sad ergo you will fell like you just trow your money to fire , or the theater rip you off.

Total Frustration

Author: starzhoney33 from Singapore
25 March 2009

This movie is an all-time disappointment! We have been waiting for years for the movie to happen. When the announcement was made to produce the movie at last, we, the avid Dragon Ball fans, were all tearing in excitement.

Little did we know, we came out of the theatre after the movie preview full of resentment and grievance.

To the true Dragon Ball comic fans out there, do not expect the story or characters to have major colleration to the original. Not only the story line twisted but character-play was utterly out of the way. Shenren the dragon, was really crappy. One glance at Master Roshi's flowery shirt put me off the dinner table for days. Give us back the perverted Roshi!!

This movie needs a serious re-make to stay truthful to its origins and be answerable to the disappointed comic fans worldwide.

Awful

Author: geraldhans from Indonesia
25 March 2009

Judging from the trailer, I don't expect much what will be in the movie. Acting are quite Okay but storyline are really awful. This movie can't be compared to Original Dragonball. Well, at the beginning is quite okay but as the story goes, make me want to sleep. And even what they did to Bulma? Bulma didn't carry any gun (If I not mistaken). Well to be honest, I just may advised for those who still have respect Dragonball, I recommended you not to watch this movie as you will get angry after watching this movies. Sorry for all the cast, but I only be able to give 1/10. However for those of didn't like Dragonball, you might find this movie is interesting.

King Kong meet the power rangers in Dawson's creek the movie

Author: dwigth from Mexico
2 April 2009

Like all B-movies fan, i can say this the new Z-movie, not for Dragon ball Z or even Zombies content, this is the worst ever movie adaptation of a book or action movie ever made. Maybe the cast of the chars could be passed for all the people, including the fans, but the screen lines turn this down, all the people who expected to see a great kung fu, full of action and super powers movie get's a young comedy movie, with bad yokes and worst FX and fighting scenes(i have seen more action with the Star wars kid), in King Kong meet the power rangers in Dawson's creek the movie. The film Vision of James Wong, dig the grave for the most expected movie of the FOX, in screen we get, bad direction of the cameras, bad use of the scenarios, a poor makeup department, a deficient use of FX (i have seen better Kame-hame-has FX made by a boy of 12 years in you tube), and a lot of disappointing use of costumes (piccolo using a batman armor, with red pajamas and the red coat of his aunt), just missed to let some filming equipment visible, to make this the worst movie ever made.

"Dragon Ball" name tarnished with this spoof movie.

Author: squall_kay from Malaysia
13 March 2009

i went to watch this movie with very low expectation, guess what, i turns out, one of the lamest movie, 2nd to legend of chun-li. both movie can be considered as spoof movie like those "meet the spartans", "superhero movie".

the movies don't have good storyline, disrupt the real dragon ball (comic & anime) storyline, really poor characters development, and the movie only have +/-85min running minutes - the storyline seems rushing. They describe Piccollo seems strong and dangerous, but the fight quick+lame+not entertaining at all.Piccollo seems really week when fight with Goku.

to the director and producer, no need to make a sequel for this Dragon Ball: Evolution, you all only will tarnish the "Dragon Ball" name only.

if really wanna do Dragon Ball movie, hire excellent director (Michael Bay, Peter Jackson, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, etc), reboot back the movie like Batman Begins do.

last but not least, thank you Hollywood for making this awful movie and destroying "Dragon Ball and Akira Toriyama's name" and and finally make most of the fans, disappointed.