IMDb > New in Town (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

The efficiency expert

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
7 February 2016

New in Town is a bland inoffensive rom-com that wants to channel the off beat spirit of Fargo without a murder mystery.

Rene Zellweger is Lucy Hill, a troubleshooter sent by headquarters from her base in tropical Miami to turn round an under performing food processing factory in Minnesota.

Hill soon finds that the weather is far from warm as Miami (she arrives in heels and any lack of warm clothing) and the locals are hicks used to small town ways and so there is immediately a culture clash.

Hill also falls foul of the kind hearted local union representative (Harry Connick) who also conveniently happens to be a widowed single parent.

As time goes by Hill who in effect needs to fire people realises that she can turn the company around by taking a high risk approach but needs to rally the town together and proves to the company that she works for that she is prepared to scrap with them to save the factory.

This is really a fish out of water comedy of a woman who realises that the town has depth and comforts missing in her life. The hunky widowed union rep helps.

This is watchable but it would never amount to above average. The accents were laid on thick, sounded Canadian to me but it there is never anything original in the pudding baked in this movie.

Don't Waste Your Time

Author: folsominc2 from KCK
26 October 2015

I had high hopes when I turned on this movie last night for the first time with Renée Zellweger, but my hopes were completely dashed as the stupidity of her character and the formula plot was exposed.

A management personnel, played by Renée Zellweger, shows up in cold Minnesota (I think) to take over management of a company and lay off 50% of the staff. Harry Connick Jr (amazed he is still around) plays the labor union representative.

Of course, she is under dressed and made fun of by the locals who considered her in-affective and not necessary, and of course, she falls in love with the town, Harry Connick, Jr and endeavors to save the factory by producing another viable product.

The so-called romance is boring with absolutely no chemistry, and the most funny items they can add to the plot line is him trying to open her britches so she can go to the bathroom!

I never saw Renée Zellweger look so bad - not even in her movies with Colin Firth when she was overweight.

There were many questions throughout the movie that were never fully explained nor represented to help the viewer understand the plot better, and the way that they ran through the holidays endeavoring to show time passing was very painful to a viewer.

The one good thing that was in the film that surprised me was the fact that, although Renée Zellweger made two patronizing remarks about Jesus and God, the main contact member of the town, did not seem to find it funny. I did enjoy the town's Christmas son around the Christmas tree which really gave a piece of good spirit ... until it was almost the next day (she was returning the tapioca dish) and it was supposed to be Valentine's Day!

New In Town

Author: babbsjc from United States
22 September 2014

This was a charming movie about an executive sent from a big company to do what many Minnesotans are familiar with....downsizing. She is sent there to downsize and the folks there know it. They aren't too happy to see her and as she prances down the stairs in her high heal shoes and business suit they aren't too warm to her. As time goes on, she sees how genuine and loving these people are and that they need these jobs. Then she is told to close down the plant. She has learned how those of a smaller town have more caring and concern for people than those she may have seen in the big city and she grows to love them. At the same time, she meets a man who she thinks is just a country hick and finds that he loves to live this way and is happy and actually...has money. But before knowing that...she starts to fall in love with him. I loved this movie. I could relate because I was born and raised in Minnesota and also live here again. The only thing that kind of bugged me is that the accent/dialect that the people used was not true of Minnesotans...maybe Canadians but not Minnesotans. It reminded me of FARGO. And New Alm is close to the cities and people don't talk that way in Minnesota.

Much better than expected!!

Author: jarten1 from Vancouver, WA
5 May 2014

Funny, charming and romantic. My wife and I both liked this movie a lot. Cannot understand why it was not better received. Great cast and by the way did I mention that it was FUNNY! Not only a good movie, but much better than the formula.There are no car chases or much in the way of special effects, but there is a lot of heart. Cast was uniformly excellent. J K Simmons did a great job as did the entire cast. I had not heard anything about this movie until my wife found it while changing channels. We tivoed it and watched it a second time and it was just as good if not better. We even liked it enough to buy the DVD so we don't have to ff through the commercials and hopefully see whatever the broadcaster took out.

Rom-com without much chemistry

Author: SnoopyStyle
30 December 2013

Lucy Hill (Renée Zellweger) is an aggressive executive from Miami who's new in a freezing tiny little Minnesota town. She's a fish out of water in town to downsize half the plant. Only the workers aren't cooperating. Plant manager Stu (J.K. Simmons) takes advantage of her. The union rep Ted Mitchell (Harry Connick Jr.) clashes with her right from the start.

This is an attempt at rom-com without any likability or chemistry. The jokes of Zellweger and the cold are more misses than hits. Nobody really shines in this one. They're mostly just competent. Like the weather, it takes awhile for anything to warm up here. It's a fairly flat effort, a flat 5/10 effort.

Formulaic culture clash comedy

Author: tieman64 from United Kingdom
10 June 2013

Directed by Jonas Elmer, "New In Town" stars Renne Zellweger as a big city consultant who finds herself transferred to small town Minnesota for the purposes of overseeing a failing factory.

Resolutely formulaic, the film watches as Zellweger teaches the locals a little about big city life, whilst they in turn expose her to the charms of small town Minnesota. Along the way, Zellweger feuds, falls in love with, loses and reclaims a sexy single dad who also happens to be a union boss. To see these clichés done about as well as they can be done, see "Local Hero".

5/10 – Worth no viewings.

Been there, seen that

Author: alan-lohf from France
11 November 2012

At last, a fresh and imaginative comedy. An ambitious, hard nosed, big city mover and shaker (Zellweger) goes to small town USA to shake up a local company that's behind the times. She falls for the local hunk (Connick Jr) who is the union rep, which of course complicates the situation. Throw in a few 'mom and apple pie' characters plus dollops of homespun philosophy ...... what, you've seen it all before? No kidding! Yep, this effort is as stale as last week's buckwheat pancakes. The cast does its best but the story line and characters are so hackneyed that nothing could save this film from mediocrity. Utterly predictable and cloyingly sweet, you should watch it only if you've finished reading all of your junk mail catalogues.

Predictable but enjoyable enough

Author: huwdj from Wales, UK
30 July 2012

Your know where you're going with this film as soon Harry Connick's name appears on the cast list. It is an utterly predictable, formulaic little movies that plods along from one cliché to the next until it arrives at it's inevitable destination. High flying, city dwelling executive Zellweger is sent to a mid-America town to down size and modernize the local plant where Connick is the Union Rep. The town is populated by good hearted folk with eccentric accents who depend on the one factory for local prosperity. You'll never guess what happens next - indeed you don't really need to guess - just think of all the similar films you've watched. And yet it's a well made little film. The principles delivering the goods and are well supported by the rest of the cast. So I have to admit I did enjoy it even though I don't think I be watching it again any time soon.

Quite funny if familiar

Author: badajoz-1 from United Kingdom
6 April 2012

Some funny moments, some shrewd observation of middle America (presumably that some critics do not wish to be reminded of!), a couple of charming leads, but an over-familiar storyline and development (Doc Hollywood etc) and far too rushed ending spoil a decent and fairly cheaply produced movie. The story of a hard assed career woman (and we keep seeing it in a pencil skirt) out of sunny Miami descending on freezing Nowheresville, Minnesota, to close the only industrial plant in town I've seen on TV, but so what, if the observation of her coming to terms with a slower, more honest, community-based Us proves truthful and funny. And for the most part, it does. Yes, she falls for the hunk who rescues her, she does not manage to slip on her Jimmy Choos on the ice (something you are so expecting), and she warms to the friendliness of her workers. She saves the plant, but.... Well acted, nicely written, unflashily directed, a surprise on Film Four after the bellicose pomposity of 'Avatar!' And it is not afraid to mention Jesus in a serious context! Wow!

A pretty good feel good movie

Author: JohnRayPeterson from Montreal, Canada
2 March 2012

This is a pretty good feel good movie. The storyline in IMDb is sufficient if you wish to avoid spoilers; that wasn't my reason for wanting to watch the movie, nor was it the work of director Jonas Elmer who I knew nothing about. Turns out Elmer did not make any mistakes and manage to capture all the good parts of a romantic comedy is suppose to have. Elmer even makes the landscape a kind of character, which was the thing to do here. I'll remember, I hope, Jonas Elmer, in a good way, next time I see his name as director and it might influence positively my choosing a movie.

That being said, it was Harry Connick Jr and J.K. Simmons' work that influenced my decision; Renée Zellweger I am sort of indifferent about. Given she has the lead role, I'll admit she did not disappoint, not like in the Bridget Jones trilogy or Appaloosa. Connick and Simmons did however live up to my high expectations; I can't think of any movie in which I've seen them in, with a bad performance by them. They made the movie worth watching. Connick also happens to be a talented musician and excellent composer, of whose work I'm a fan.

The story was good enough, a little predictable as all, OK most, romantic comedies are. I recommend it to guys who have to make up for watching guy movies with their bored better half. If anything, you can get an appreciation for Jonas Elmer's work as director.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]