IMDb > New in Town (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
New in Town

New in Town More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Entertaining and full of "inside jokes" only those from the frozen tundra will get

Author: traceylu21 from Minnesota, USA
31 January 2009

My daughter and I really enjoyed this film. We weren't expecting much, but were pleasantly surprised by the humorous take on Minnesota life. Yes, the accents are overdone and no, it isn't really 10 degrees below zero from November thru April here in Minnesota, but those exaggerations aside, it did hit on many "traditions" like meatloaf, polka music, hunting, blizzards, and ice fishing. If you are from Minnesota, Wisconsin or North Dakota, you will most likely understand all of the one-liners and euphemisms. If you haven't experienced life in the frozen tundra of the upper Midwest, this movie will probably not make sense to you. Also, the actors in this film seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves. I can't recall ever noticing that in any other movie I've seen. It just seemed very genuine and sincere to me.

New in Town, Old in Theatres

Author: j-willums from Hong Kong
28 February 2009

Although a personal Zellweger fan myself, I did not feel that this was one of her shining moments.

The movie was predictable-one of many romantic comedy plots that have graced the screens of theatres. The characters were rather stale and unoriginal, and the jokes were old enough to have multiple colonies of mould growing on them.

Haivng said that, there were some bright spots in the film (though admittedly not enough to power a small light bulb), they did save the film from making my "Worst Movies of 2009" list. The jokes and quips were cute, and the exaggerations on small town life were amusing.

Both Harry Connick Jr. and Renee Zellweger were just about average in this film; not bad enough to avoid like the plague for the rest of their movie careers, yet not good enough to stand out from a crowd of actors.

Special mention, however, must be given to Siobhan Fallen, who happened to be one of the "bright spots". Her accent and mannerisms were hilarious; one of the few things that saved this movie.

My suggestion? Don't waste your money watching it in theatres when you can do so in the comfort of your own home.

Zellweger Shines in entertaining formula romantic comedy

Author: lor_ from New York, New York
25 January 2009

Though its payoff scenes are as predictable as could be, this entertaining romantic comedy is an effective vehicle sure to please Renee Zelweger fans. Well-timed to a winter release (the film's heartwarming Xmas scene occurs early in the story as an intended anticlimax preceding the plot complications to come), this modern fable set in a small town in frozen Minnesota is well-photographed on atmospheric Manitoba locations. Zellweger top lines as the fish out of water, volunteering in her high-profile Miami based conglomerate to head north to makeover a tiny food plant, cut its workforce by half and retool for an automated new product launch. She's the typical jargon-laden, fast-track advancement type, dreaming of CEO-hood and sorely lacking in empathy or any recognizable people-to-people skills. Strutting around in inappropriate high heels (closeups of which are a bit overdone by Danish director Jonas Elmer making his Hollywood debut), she quickly alienates every Minnesotan in sight and looks to be headed for disaster in a hopeless hatchet-woman assignment. Led by a warm & funny supporting turn by Siobhan Fallon Hogan (who channels the local persona even better than Frances McDormand's Oscar-winning stint in Fargo), as her local assistant, a tapioca pudding whiz who spends equal time on scrapping (making scrapbooks) and religiosity, the very cute cast of hayseeds play off hard-bitten Zellweger quite well in a time-honored clash of city smarts vs. folksy wisdom. Sure it's very, very corny, but fun all the same. Harry Connick Jr. plays the area union chief who is always in view as Renee's romantic interest, and there is also a dynamite turn by J.K. Simmons (fresh from his triumph in Juno) as the plant foreman who runs afoul of Renee's plans. New in Town is not in the league of the great old movies of Riskin and Capra, but is genuinely amusing and a fine platform for Zellweger to display both physical & romantic comedy skills. The spectre of layoffs and disappearing companies we are currently living through was probably not in mind when this light feature was scripted and shot, but it resonates as a timely, escapist treatment of all-too-painful realities.

I was a little leery

Author: John B from United States
28 February 2009

The IMDb ratings were low (5.2) and I was expecting to regret my decision to go to the movies. Renee Zellweger and Harry Connick, Jr., were certainly a draw but it was the low matinée price and the fact that I had plenty of time and nothing better to do that got me in the door. Sometimes preconceptions can spoil a good movie, but not in this case. For me the movie greatly exceeded the rating.

I enjoyed the movie and while it was fairly predictive and was what another commenter described as a sweet story, I don't think you will find a better movie for this 2009 winter of dismal news. Predictive, in these times, is a much desired thing and a little sweetness certainly doesn't hurt. I was not disappointed by Zellweger or Connick; I enjoyed their performances (but I always do). The supporting cast is strong. The rural Minnesota accents may have been a little strong, but if so, at least for me, the accent treatment added to the enjoyment of the movie. Just so you know, I can be critical, but I don't look for things to criticize. I really liked the movie.

I Loved This Movie and Story

Author: John Grey from United States
26 December 2009

I have no clue why some of these unfair and off balance reviews. I was expecting this movie to be very simple and average, I was pleasantly surprised and found it very funny and to have a great story line and heart warming lesson or two. Perhaps some of the stereotyping offended some? I thought it was dead on and rather funny. The campy, just rolled outta bed, let's make some home made crafts and pudding Minnesota characters were dead on accurate from my experiences visiting Minnesota. Whoever did the research and background on Minnesota obviously spent some time there and put it all together in a nutshell just perfectly for what is a very funny and heart warming story. Where is your sense of humor people? The story itself for that matter was one of believing in the common good as we see the educated and professional city girl played by Rene Z learn a few good lessons about more every day people. She takes a bad situation and turns it into something very good, great in fact. By the end if you follow the story you are left with a tear in your eye. I loved her character, loved her, Harry Connick was great too and so for Rene and the people who worked hard on this movie, it was well worth the rental and I will watch it again today before I return it in fact. Don't listen to these snooty know it all critics here, especially if you are a Rene Z or Harry Connick Jr fan, you will love this movie and story, I promise.

A heartwarming comedy

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
11 April 2009

This film is about a business woman from a big city who got transferred to a small town. She encounters much trouble adjusting to the small town life.

"New In Town" is another romantic comedy with Renee Zellweger as a person who achieves despite her mischievousness. She is already heavily typecast, but then she really is adorable and likable so it is OK. The plot is very predictable, but is enjoyable mainly due to the small town warmth. Seeing acquaintances and colleagues help each other out, and giving hand made gifts is refreshing. It enhances the positive spirit of the film, and makes the characters more engaging.

"New In Town" is a heartwarming comedy, I enjoyed watching it.

So not worth the low rating!

Author: Rianne Laros from Netherlands
17 February 2009

This movie is hilarious! I usually go by IMDb's rating and so the 5.3 average got me entering the movie theater reluctantly. Boy, was I surprised.

OK, I'm sure Minnesotans feel they're being made fun of. Even to my Dutch ears the Minnesotan accent sounds more French than anything. But movies never get a Dutch or German accent perfect either so I just accept it and don't let it spoil the fun.

Sure, the story is predictable, but it is a comedy. It has been ages since I laughed so hard in a movie theater (and I go almost weekly) during the scene where Renee's character has to pee in the woods.

If you want to have a good laugh, go see this movie!

J.K. Simmons is the old guru of "New In Twon"

Author: meeza (themeezaman@hotmail.com) from Miami, Fl
2 March 2009

Guess what is not new in town at your local movie theatre? Another formulaic romantic comedy. This one is called "New in Town" but old in design. Not new= a female protagonist trying to prove that she can tackle any challenge. In this case, a once again mediocre Renee Zellweger plays Lucy Hill; an executive living in sunny Miami who is ordered to reside in cold Minnesota for a few months to play efficiency expert at a company plant. Not new= independent girl bickers with hometown boy and eventually fall in love. In this case, a once again mediocre Harry Connick Jr. plays Ted Mitchell; a Minnesota labor union rep who fights with Lucy and then … well, do I have to repeat myself? Not new= Female protagonist is seen by small town residents as an unruly big city tyrant and then eventually changes her ways because of unforeseen circumstances. In this case, Lucy is seen as the "mad slicer of jobs" by the plant workers until …….. well, do I have to repeat myself again? To say the least, Director Jonas Elmer fuddles and struggles to provide creativity in "New in Town" and does not give Minnesotans justice by copycatting the "Fargo" character playbook. Jonas my brother, sorry to share! Screenwriters Ken Rance and C. Jay Cox did not interject any verbose ingenuity in "New in Town"; in fact, everything sounded kind of old. Now there is something that kind of salvaged the film from the boring cold! That came in the form of another spectacular (also not new, but we like this one) acting performance by the underrated J.K. Simmons as a Plant Foreman. "New in Town" should not be deported from your movie wish list, thanks to Simmons, but then again it is far from being the best new movie in town. *** Average

Your typical chick flick in the cold country

Author: Douglas Young (the-movie-guy) from Memphis, Tennessee
28 January 2009

(Synopsis) Lucy Hill (Renee Zellweger) is a high achiever shooting to become a Vice President. To show the President that she has the ability, she takes an assignment to restructure one of their small manufacturing plants in Minnesota. From the high life in Miami to the bitter cold, snow, and icy roads, Lucy must endure these hardships to succeed. Lucy is treated as an outsider when she arrives, and the locals give her a week before she leaves. Lucy is a fighter and wants to win. She meets Ted Mitchell (Harry Connick, Jr.) who is the union representative. At first, she has some conflicts with the workers, but soon they begin to accept her. The new product line is a bust, and she is ordered to close the plant and fire everyone. However, she has a better idea of making money for the company and saving everybody's job.

(My Comment) This is your typical chick flick, girl meets boy, she thinks he is a loser, and he thinks she is too. After a few disaster type dates which should have ended the whole thing, you guessed it, they get involved. Along the way, they save the company, and both become heroes. Renee Zellweger did a fine job of being the outsider in the small Minnesota town and getting them to accept her. What do you think, who wouldn't accept Renee Zellweger. I know the women will like Harry's performance as well. Even though you know how the story will end, you will still enjoy the movie. You will love listening to the Minnesota accents that were used, and seeing some of their customs. (Lionsgate, Run Time 1:36, Rated PG-13)(5/10)

It's actually pretty damn funny

Author: www.ramascreen.com from United States
8 March 2009

If Renee Zelweger were any cuter, I think world peace might be possible after all. But it's her character in this romantic comedy that… will get you hooked. NEW IN TOWN is surprisingly funny story of adjusting and falling in love with more than just a person. Anybody who's ever lived in small towns would find it nostalgic and dead on.

I like the story. Granted it's not Oscar worthy material but be that as it may, I didn't expect it to be so engaging and easy to relate to. It doesn't have any of those cheesy over the top jokes that only the filmmaker and the crew would enjoy but instead, it carries simple sense of humor that will get you at least to chuckle, funny things at the cost of the winter cold for example, or at the cost of getting lost in the accent, or the huge difference in ways of thinking and doing things between a city girl and a country girl.

Renee Zelweeger is radiant, full of energy, even when her character seems to get beat down, she manages to capture our attention only because she has the charm of a leading lady. She has excellent comedic timing which is not anything new, keeping in mind that she's tackled drama-comedy successfully in the past. Anytime that she tries to attempt something out of her comfort zone, that's when you can expect hilarity to show up. It's clear to see that everybody involved in this project did not have the desire to try too hard to make this movie more than what it is. The plot line tells Reneez's character dealing with the new place within the one year that she was there and I appreciate it's not done in a way that Sex and the City Movie had its one year story which felt a bit slow. Actor J.K. Simmons is under-appreciated, his performance as the wise-cracking Stu is proof that it's only a matter of time before this man gets nominated in the near future. NEW IN TOWN will arouse your curiosity to get out of your comfort zone and try new places, setting, and habits.

--Rama's SCREEN--