IMDb > Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Confessions of a Shopaholic-aholic

Author: misterembryo from United States
8 March 2009

I confess. I fell for the Shopaholic. Isla Fisher is charming, funny, adorably goofy yet undeniably attractive. You can't help but notice her uncanny resemblance to Enchanted's Amy Adams, which is not a bad thing at all, yet she still maintains the same unique kookiness we all enjoyed in her role as Vince Vaughn's equal in The Wedding Crashers. The incredible job on the CGI'd mannequins, done by Lucasfilms' Industrial Light & Magic, is also worth mentioning.

You're not supposed to go into the movie expecting it to be the next epic Titanic love story. You're expecting it to be goofy and sentimental yet genuine and entertaining, and it was all those things.

Confessions of a Shopaholic is a rare gem that's worth the guilty swipe of a maximized credit card.

Becky Bloomwood's Alright with Me

Author: zeedunn from United States
9 March 2009

I have been a longtime fan of the Sophie Kinsella Shopaholic books, which feature the lovable but compulsive Becky Bloomwood. So I wasn't sure what to expect out of the movie version.

Rebecca Bloomwood is a lovely redheaded young woman who loooooves to shop. I am not talking about the reasonable kind of love where she goes monthly or even weekly to see what's new at her local boutique. I am talking about an addiction as powerful as any drug out there. When she walks past a store, the mannequins talk to her and convince her that this, only this, particular item has the power to make her feel better, more attractive, more alive. She shops using 12 credit cards, including her Gold Card, which is encased in a block of ice in the freezer in case of emergencies. The tone of the film is comic, so it's not a tragic type of addiction, but we understand that Becky has a problem and she needs some serious help.

Rebecca also has her own personal bill collector stalker type person following her around named Derek Smeath. All told, she owes Mr. Smeath some $16,000. After losing her job as a journalist, she decides to apply for her dream job: fashion correspondent for Alette magazine. For Becky, this would be equivalent to an alcoholic working in a brewery. The job gets filled before she can arrive, but a sister magazine from the same magazine group, Successful Saving, is hiring. The man at the front desk assures her that the magazine group is a family, and once you're in, you're in. The only problem is that the magazine that ends up hiring Becky is a financial advice magazine. Not exactly the type of place that suits Becky's lifestyle or assets.

Becky's boss is Luke Brandon, a handsome, wealthy man with lots of energy and a black sheep complex. He never feels he can please his parents and leads a life of stress. He's amused by Becky's antics and impressed by her candor. Becky's writing for the financial magazine is a surprise hit. She writes about financial restraint in such a way that the average layperson can relate, comparing it to shoes. It seems like everything's going swell with her new job and a surprise romance with Luke. Derek Smeath can't get a leg in since she's convinced her colleagues that he's an ex-boyfriend stalking her. But like any liar knows, Becky can't keep the truth from her friends and family for long.

I enjoyed this movie. It was fun and sincere. We like Becky because she is flawed. She doesn't have it all together, but her style and spirit charm everyone around her. Sure she's addicted to shopping, but we don't despise her for it. Instead, we relate, because what woman hasn't given in to the siren song of a signature scarf now and again. The pull of a good bargain is a powerful thing, and this film is bound to be a hit with the average female.

The acting is suitable for the film. Nothing revolutionary comes out of it, but Isla Fisher will likely be back in many a comic role. The pacing of the film keeps you involved, but there are enough heartfelt moments to keep us focused.

Some have said that the timing for this film couldn't be worse. With the world in an economic downturn, do we really want to smile and nod at Becky's need to buy, buy, buy? Well, I say this film is healing balm. The nation will recover from this mini-depression, but in the meantime, it's kind of nice to voyeuristically enjoy Becky's indulgences. I have had to natch my weekly Starbucks and batten down my bank account hatches, so I need a little reward, even if it's done through Becky's pocketbook. Also, anyone who watches the film will realize that Becky goes through her own hard time, and she finds a way to get through it. She comes up with her own entrepreneurial scheme to pay off her debt. This is what we all need to do during the difficult times. Find a way to get through. Becky is my hero.

I love a good chick flick - but that was just painful

Author: Peter Kowalski
25 March 2009

Let me start off by saying that I'm not your typical macho male who hates everything that is even remotely resembling to a chick flick. I like a good chick flick - if it's good. Most of them are. Some are not. Confessions of a Shopaholic fall into the latter category. The movie is painfully predictable (you can literally guess what will happen next) and ridiculously not funny. The acting is poor, even though there is a number of well-renowned artists present. The fashions is more than once, more than twice absolutely disgraceful, especially for a fashion themed movie. The plot is flat and it lacks much sense. The main character is annoyingly irresponsible. The list goes on and on, but there is something more that is really frightening. The movie is basically about a person who suffers from being a shopaholic. She has actual illness, which makes her buy everything she sees on the display, which gives her an adrenaline rush. We all know that there is such thing. Nothing wrong about making a movie about it either. The problem is that this is not handled in any good way in the movie. The girl gets off easy, she barely learns her lesson and on top of everything the poor debt-collecting worker is being shown as a negative character for reasons I cannot fully understand. What's even more frightening, I can see this movie being a guideline for hundreds of women who in deed have a spending problem, who do spend more than they make and I doubt that this movie will make them rethink their actions, au contraire: they will find it as an excuse to develop their habits even further. As far as I am from preaching about the state of economy, I really thought that this movie carried a certain amount of wisdom; instead of this, I was left with a moronic picture for brain-dead. Thanks, but no thanks. If a gay guy hates a chick flick, then you know it can't be good.

why did this bomb?

Author: kaj-37 from UK
29 July 2009

I watch a lot of films. I'll watch anything from a slasher fest to some weird arty film that videos bookshelves (well almost).

Last year I pretty much watched every romantic comedy in existence, as that is all my (male) house-mate would watch. I'll watch anything but I've seen enough to know the dire ones (well, we all have our own opinions).

I really enjoyed this film. Maybe it is because I expected it to be really awful. Maybe I got seduced by the good cast. Or I really am a secret girly girl and just thought all the shopping was fabulous.

But seriously, how did this get _that_bad an IMDb rating? I mean, I actually thought it was better than the Devil Wears Prada, which I thought was a bit of a let down. OK, the script is not original but it doesn't contain any big clangers and it doesn't try to hard. There is no wooden acting. No moments of cringe worthy awfulness, and some good cast chemistry. No, if you want to see a bad big-budget rom-com I still maintain Wimbledon is awful. Paul Bettany and Kirsten Dunst looked completely indifferent to one another.

As for being disappointed about books. Sheesh. If you love a book never go see a movie (e.g. Atonement) or accept it is going to be completely different.

Confessions is utterly predictable, but the characters and actors are kooky in a lovable non-Oscar lusting way. Its like cheap chocolate-you know it has hardly any rich content but you keep going back.

F*** it. I really like this movie. Not quite as much as Fight Club or Dawn of the Dead, but its moving up there. Seriously.

Now if only they'd do a sequel involving Christina Ricci and a load of blood...

Should make Melanie Griffith proud.

Author: John DeSando (jdesando@columbus.rr.com) from Columbus, Ohio
12 February 2009

Being a non-shopper, I can hardly call myself expert on the parsing of a shopaholic in Confessions of a Shopaholic. But this I can say: Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) is an addict of major proportions, unable to let go of the exhilaration that shopping brings, a feeling that the world is better for her purchases.

The film is a cliché from the get go, as corny as could possibly be about 25 year old writer Rebecca with the shopping affliction who eventually meets her dream man through a series of subterfuges that would make Melanie Griffith's Tess in Working Girl proud. What saves the film from my scourge, which did not spare the recent Pink Panther 2, is Isla Fisher, who plays dangerous innocence with sincerity and fresh-facedness that makes even Anne Hathaway's Devil Wears Prada role seem downright Machiavellian.

Confessions has this going for it: Although it is not a Judd Apatow comedy with some layers of sophisticated social comedy, it has moments of laughter and social conscience. Coming as it does amidst the worst recession in decades, in which shopping would be a welcome antidote to the fear of spending that exacerbates the recession, Confessions almost makes a case for credit spending; then again maybe such encouragement is not a good thing for shopaholics.

Use your $$ to buy the book!

Author: lulut_17 from United States
15 February 2009

Where do I start... this movie was terrible! I went with my friends on Valentines day hoping for a fun chick flick. We were all so bored and annoyed with the movie that we couldn't wait for it to be over.

If you've read the book, you'll be distracted by how different the movie is. They took a good concept and pretty much ruined it. There is a lot of overacting/squealing/screaming, characters that pop in and out, and laughable, cheesy drama at the end. To wrap it up, there are even creepy mannequins. While the movie is packed with good actors and actresses, their talent isn't utilized in this silly, overworked script.

Invest your $10 in the book... it's much better!

Money isn't everything to Rebecca Bloomwood, but shopping is.

Author: Jerique (kris.hopson@hotmail.com) from Canada
26 February 2009

Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) is a journalist with aspirations to work for Alette magazine. When her current job is lost when her company goes bankrupt, Rebecca is devastated to find she is $9000+ in debt. She, ironically, becomes a financial adviser columnist.

I went to this movie purely because of my crush on Isla, ever since seeing her in Wedding Crashers as the nympho obsessed with Jeremy (Vince Vaughn). It is without a doubt, a gigantic chick flick. Jokes that occur during the film, 90% of them have been seen in the trailer. Not trying to knock the movie, but that's a fact. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, laughed a lot and sat awwstruck by the talent showcased by Isla. She really showed her colors by hitting all elements of the emotion spectrum.

I was surprised that her co-stars are such big names; such as her parents being played by lovable John Goodman and Joan Cusack, with Edgar West being played by John Lithgow and her opposite of the film being Hugh Dancy. There's a truckload of "aww" uttering romance, "lol" comedy and it's great for all ages. It also has a lesson at the end: use credit cards wisely. But overall, it teaches you that only fairy tale romance is active in Hollywood, not in reality. In the real world, Rebecca would not have gotten back in the black side of finance.

The clichés damper the movie's rating, for me, but it's a very enjoyful movie and I wouldn't mind seeing it a few more times before it leaves the theaters. By the way, it's a great date movie. Recommended.

Shallow, Silly, but Makes Laugh

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
30 September 2009

In New York, the journalist and compulsive liar Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) is an addicted consumer that can not resist shopping fashionable clothes and outfits in fancy shops and has several unplayable debts with the credit cards. She dreams on working in the fashion magazine Alette owned by the sophisticated Alette Naylor (Kristin Scott Thomas), but she does not succeed in her intent. When Becky loses her job, she drinks a lot of booze with her best friend Suze (Krysten Ritter) and sends an offensive letter to the editor Luke Brandon (Hugh Dancy) from the financial magazine "Successful Saving" and an article to Alette to show her potential. However, she unintentionally switches the correspondences in the mailbox and Luke hires her to write a column called "The Girl in the Green Scarf" in his magazine using a simple language and metaphors that could be easily understood by common people. Meanwhile the debt collector Derek Smeath (Robert Stanton) is chasing Becky and she is avoiding him everywhere, telling that he is an ex-boyfriend that is stalking her. When her column becomes a success, Becky is invited to participate in a talk show and Luke and she fall in love for each other. However, her lies and debts put her in a difficult situation with her audience, Suze and Luke.

"Confessions of a Shopaholic" is a silly story with a shallow and unlikable red-haired character that is the stereotype of the dumb-blonde that surprisingly makes laugh with some ridiculous situations. One of the funniest jokes is with Finland and Finnish language, inclusive in the credits Becky presents Alicia as a prostitute to the Finnish guys after leaning the language. I believe that people connected to fashion and fashionable outfits will enjoy this forgettable movie much more than I did. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Os Delírios de Consumo de Becky Bloom" ("The Delirium of Consumption of Becky Bloom")

Really Enjoyable.

Author: k-u from United States
22 March 2009

I recently went to see this movie with a friend, and we both laughed until our sides hurt. It has absolutely everything you would want in a chick-flick. Isla Fisher was perfect as Becky Bloomwood. They couldn't have picked a better actress for her character. And Hugh Dancy as Luke Brandon was like a dream come true.

Becky Bloomwood loves shopping - Not in a natural way. Virtually every time she passes by a shop window, she sees something that she must have. All her buying decisions are purely impulsive. She even drives her friend up the wall with her problem, and in result, she begs Becky to seek help at "Shoppers Anonymous" - a club for recovering shopaholics.

This movie is a funny, charming, and heart-warming adaption to Kinsella's book. It even provokes a few tears. I recommend this movie to everyone I know. I'll rate it 9/10 because it simply wasn't long enough.

a colourful, sweet and funny rom-com

Author: aersen from United Kingdom
19 April 2009

Take an adorable girl, dress her with a few complications, add some slapstick comedy, throw in just a pinch of romance; et voilà, a colourful, sweet and funny rom-com.

This movie adaptation of the Shopaholic books delivers a light but yet truly enjoyable comedy. Isla Fisher's is back on the screen with an interpretation that matched the one that catapulted her career in Wedding Crashers. A sweet and lovable personality that will overshadow the less likable facets of lies and compulsive buying in which she draws herself. The romance doesn't steal the show either, flourishing gently on the side and giving the final note of a well executed feel good comedy.

You could argue the lack of seriousness in which this disorder is being treated but I believe this is not what the movie tries to achieve. Don't look for an intellectual masterpiece but instead sit down, get comfy and relax cause this is a chick flick that will give you a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]