IMDb > The Darkest Hour (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Darkest Hour

The Darkest Hour More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 21: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Promising but half-baked

Author: Dm. Piyavkin from Russian Federation
5 October 2013

Well, there are many flaws in the movie. Simple and pretty familiar plot. With some inconsistency at times, as if there were some extended cuts.

F.e., the advanced technological alien space forces could be defeated with some microwave ejector on batteries? I don't think so. Especially if the electricity is their (aliens) major.

You can walk on streets being unnoticed at night (because the approaching searching units give up themselves by electromagnetic induction? I don't think so. I think it is much easy for them to watch the surface (and even under-surface) activity from the sky. As even we (bloody humans) are able do it today.

And so on.

Common clichés. Absolutely redundant American characters (there no need in them). Absolutely flat and stereotypical Russian characters (with pretty stupid, actually un-Russian, attitudes and behaviors). I wonder, why there are no bears, vodka and balalaika in the movie... No, wait! Vodka is there, I just recall (though, some weird non-common Russian brand). Well, by the fact, there are two alien species in the movie: lightning things and fake Russians. ) All this are just caused by marketing. Good premise, good idea, good plot are usually just twisted and skewed to accommodate to mass average supposed demands. It almost always kills the genius and inspiration of any story. And result appears always as some lame crap. You know what I mean...

What is OK with the film.

There is good initial idea. There could be a good moving story.

It is visually not so bad. There is mood. And much of the scenes are real Moscow places, but in apocalyptic dressing.

If there was just Russian characters and it was filmed by Russian director, it could be good (at least decent) Sci-Fi drama without pseudo-Russian grimacing and stupid stereotypes. About last days of humanity. If the invasion ran up to the stage, it probably means that human race is doomed (if we talk about Sci-Fi but not about hi-tech fantasy). There is no chance to hold out if all organized structures and institutions (army, industries, etc.) had been destroyed. And what is left is just agony and tragedy. Those who work on military at servicing present-day invasions should know it well. There is the point when all the social structures begin to crumble dramatically.

In that way the movie gives us much material for imagination.

I give the movie the relatively high rate because I didn't wait from it too much and was rather pleased and surprised because it turned to be not so lame as I afraid it should be. Soon I'll forget the plot details anyway, it is just the idea and the mood what will last with me. And they are actually not so bad.

Darkest Hour- Fade Into Oblivion, Please 0*

Author: edwagreen from United States
5 April 2013

Simply dreadful movie where two guys venture to Russia regarding a sales pitch they want to do. This falls flat and unfortunately so does the rest of this absolutely miserable 2011 film.

While in Russia, the world is attacked by some electric nonsense and there are few survivors. Naturally, they attach themselves to 2 girls and the 4 seek shelter in the American Embassy. Can they reach there? They must travel only at night to avoid these eerie electrical creatures.

Naturally, there are sympathetic creatures and a man who survived who made some sort of contraption that can fight off these creatures.

They've got to get to a submarine to take them back home and fight the invaders. Home? Everything has been destroyed. What a ridiculous, nonsensical film this is.

A serious version of "Ghostbusters" that doesn't work

Author: KineticSeoul from United States
20 December 2012

This is a very generic and predictable sci-fi thriller with nothing thrilling about it. So the plot is about this object that came from somewhere that is surrounded by electricity or something and can activate anything electrical and goes around trying to incinerate every living human on earth and has the ability to do so and it can't be seen with the human eyes. Sounds terrifying the the direction this movie goes lack any tension or shock factor. Instead it becomes very predictable and boring throughout. Watching this movie was like watching tag and hide and seek take place in Moscow most of the way through. Since the movie take place in Moscow and it felt like watching a teen drama without any good drama than a sci-fi thriller. None of the characters have development and it just seem like they are there for the body counts. Even the annoying prick in the group doesn't do anything to build up the plot, like set up a conflict or change characters after going through traumatic scenarios or anything like that. The main conflict is with the Ghostbusters look alike gun that can stone the object that is terrorizing and killing everything it touches. Since apparently it just stops working during only crucial moments. This is a unoriginal and boring movie that has almost nothing that makes it stand out and dull to the core. It isn't a very awful movie but there is way better movies of this type that is worth investing time in.

3.8/10

Check your facts before writing a movie!

Author: soger from Romania
28 November 2012

This movie is an insult to everyone who cares about physics in general. You can't just throw around big words like the Faraday cage. At least one should read the wikipedia page before using it in a movie to get a general idea how to construct a proper one. But wait there's more: they argue that the aliens can't see them if they stand behind glass because glass is an insulator. Well guess what, air is an insulator, so how can they see them at all. It's really sad when someone doesn't know the difference between an electric current and an electromagnetic radiation.

Oh, and by the way, the script is mediocre and the CGI is really-really unsatisfactory. But I still gave the movie 5 stars because believe it or not, I've seen worse movies.

Seemed like a Syfy flick to me!

Author: hnt_dnl from United States
16 July 2012

In theory, THE DARKEST HOUR (2011) seemed like a great idea for a fun, popcorn summer sci-fi horror movie, but the execution is about as bad as I've ever seen for a "big-screen" film of the sort. Obviously made on the cheap, the movie basically took a single "neat" effect and beat it into the ground! The unique way that the invisible alien pulverizes it's human prey into dust was cool early on, but later in the flick, it got really stale.

Now before I get into the meat of my review, I am not a prude when it comes to movies like this. In fact, "teen" horror movies (and variations thereof) are a guilty pleasure of mine. I know these aren't teens, but I lump any movie with under-30 somethings into the teen genre. Basically, it's a movie with a bunch of very attractive young people thrust into a perilous situation with either aliens, zombies, monsters, psycho killers, etc! It's aliens in this one.

I did like the early Moscow scenes prior to the alien strike because the actors were convincing as young, ambitious, partying, free-spirited up-and-coming modern yuppies. Also, the very early scenes where the 5 survivors manipulate their way through the buildings and streets of Moscow were tense. The movie really falls apart, though, once the first of them is killed (he was the most interesting character!) and then it is a total borefest the rest of the way.

The 2 "main" characters played by Emile Hirsch (apparently fairly famous from reading other reviews of this movie, but I've never heard of him!) and Olivia Thirlby (I recognized her from Juno as her "blonde" best friend, although she is brunette in this movie) were pretty appealing, but they were stuck with one of the worst dialog I've heard in a "big" movie in a while. The other 2 characters, their respective sidekicks played by Max Minghella and Rachael Taylor (from Transformers) were extremely annoying. Minghella's character only purpose was displaying an incredible inability to read maps and Taylor's character remained useless up until she bit the dust! I actually think the director purposefully made them annoying and then decided they deserved to die the most!

The last half of TDH really devolves into Syfy territory. In the first half, the movie actually fools you into thinking it's kind of big-budget with cool-looking nighttime CG effects and colors and sets, but the second half looks bad and you can really see how cheap this movie really is in the daytime setting. All of a sudden, random annoying characters pop up and noticeable inconsistencies occur.

For example, when the group runs into those Russian freedom fighters led by the guy on the horse who are fighting the aliens, why are the Russians yelling epithets in "English"?! The stereotypical weird "scientist" guy shows up with a magical solution to beating the aliens. A teenaged, wisecracking more verbal version of Newt from Aliens appears, talks a good game of how she can take care of herself, but does NOTHING the rest of the movie and actually gets one of the group killed! A nuclear submarine operated by ONE crewmember conveniently is waiting for who exactly? The only people who even show up (and at the last minute)! are what's left of our original heroes and the ragtag team of Russian misfits they picked up along the way. Even in the horrid disaster (pun intended!) film 2012, it showed literally thousands of people running for the rescue ships. I know that much of Moscow was wiped out, but are we to believe that only this handful or so people are the only ones who found safe haven?

The final "battle" on the bus was pretty lame. Good thing only ONE of the multitude of the aliens bothered to go after the group at the last minute. Syfy can do better than this!

Classic old school sci-fi

Author: StevinTasker from Author of Freedom's Run
9 April 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It reminded me of "day of the triffids" not the remake, I hasten to add! It's a simple survival story with fairly recognisable characters and it plays out by the numbers towards a satisfying conclusion. I didn't watch it for clever dialogue or plot plausibility and I do have a chuckle at those reviewers who seem to have mistaken the movie for something deep and meaningful; I can only assume they didn't watch the trailer beforehand! The effects are effectively realised and the stark, silent, Moscow streets are a welcome change in terms of setting. Some of the sets, like the crashed plane in the shopping mall for instance, are a real visual treat. For me this is a totally acceptable addition to the genre.

Great concept - dreadful execution and poor acting

Author: Jules from United Kingdom
7 April 2012

I wasn't expecting a great deal from this movie and as a result I wasn't too let down. The concept of invisible aliens was a good one but sadly the dreadful acting and cliché human element let it down. I didn't relate to the characters (didn't even know any of their names except the main actor) and actually I didn't really care what happened to them...in fact part of me was willing for one of the females to be taken by the aliens as she was so irritating. The movie turned cliché within the first 15 minutes with the two male best friends meeting two girls in a bar then having the 3rd spineless, 'i will let everyone else die to save my own skin' character introduced, to finding a way to fighting the aliens to joining up with a band of mercenary types to ending up with 'yee-hah we will save the world'...... only highlight was that it made a change to see an end of the world movie shot in Moscow instead of New York or Los Angeles etc other than that, seriously...don't bother!

Much Better than some of these Reviews

Author: elliott78212 from United States
31 March 2012

I enjoyed this SciFi romp, don't listen to all these people who think they don't know how to sit back and relax to a movie with good performances, interesting premise, well paced, with enough visual FX that are well executed. I'm so glad I didn't pay attention to the reviews these days there aren't many films of this type much less ones that are made well if you ever catch Syfy Saturday night movies you know what I mean. I went into the film with no expectations and came out very pleased. Check it out I even liked that it took place in Russian rather than NYC seems every movie has to be in attacking or taking place in New York or some other major city in the U.S. Stark visuals of the city, with a better than average script that I thought was hip youthful not dated and boring with a few surprises, I'm not gonna say that its the best but its worth seeing and is original in its concept and to a degree its execution.

Extremely dull with nothing to say

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
22 February 2013

I often think that horror/sci-fi films get a rough deal on IMDb. However this is one time that I think the rating is actually too high. This is a formulaic and incredibly dull film. The scenario has been done to death better even through relatively weak films such as Reeker. The special effects are woeful ( though I don't think these ever make a film) the acting is weak, even from Emile Hirsch an actor who is capable of far far better then this drivel.

I lost interest in this film relatively early on and it only scores a four due to some decent cinematography.

Overall a pointless and extremely disappointing film with nothing to recommend it to even the less discerning viewer.

Garbage, unless you're dimwitted. Then it's fantastic.

Author: mbgjb1 from NZ
8 September 2012

A concept that could have been brilliant if handled better. I got excited at the idea, which sounded genuinely thrilling, but the execution was abysmal. Energy parasites come to Earth to steal our mineral resources and are cloaked in microwave fields that make them invisible to the eye. It's set in Russia, not that you'd tell, considering that the only Russian characters are in minor supporting roles and have a tendency to die quickly.

The major characters are two American software engineers who were in Russia on a business trip. While there they meet and band together with a Swede, and two girls (an Australian and another American). All of the non-American characters take it in turns to become hysterical and act in cowardly and irrational fashions, then die, whilst the American software engineers make heroic, motivational speeches and act with stoic clam. Somehow one of them comes to the conclusion that the aliens can see our bioelectric fields and thus cannot see through any object that doesn't conduct electricity. How a software designer knows anything about how a nerve functions is beyond me.

Exactly who is going to die and in which order is absolutely apparent from moment to moment and nothing takes you by surprise. The only interesting character is the ageing, reclusive, eclectic Russian scientist, who is dead within minutes. The young and attractive American couple live to the end, despite a series of the worst, most illogical and suicidally stupid decisions two people could possibly make.

This whole movie was a heavily disappointing waste of time. Made more so because the basic concept actually had real potential.