Shanghai (2010) Poster

(2010)

31 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Intrigue and Betrayal in a Great City
ajfdomingo1 October 2010
Shanghai impressed me as a very well-made film. This tale of espionage and double dealing kept me hooked throughout. Shanghai compels the viewer to pay attention in order to piece together a jumble of unclear relationships and alliances. There are many acts of betrayal in the story and they unfold from start to finish. The film also gets high marks for its depiction of pre-World War II Shanghai. The audience get a good visual sense of the cosmopolitan characteristics of the city and in fact, even its delights, like its bars and casinos, compare favorably with those in other modern cities. The acting in this film deserves commendation. Though I am not much of a John Cusack fan, I found his performance believable and not overdone. Li Gong and Yun Fat-Chow are also well cast. Their demeanor came across as natural. I would recommend this film to anyone without reservation.
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beautiful looking and superbly acted movie
movielover002131 August 2010
I expected a lot with an international heavy weight cast like this one. All the way to the smallest characters are filled with great actors.

The cinematography is excellent and successfully recreates the feel of 40's Shanghai, along with the a secretive atmosphere that enhances the film noir mood. The story moves at a good pace where there isn't a scene too many and you have to keep your mind working to uncover the mysteries Paul Soames is trying to solve.

The excellent cast doesn't disappoint, John Cusack is solid and believable as an agent posing as a journalist. It's not hard to understand he would fall for the insanely beautiful Gong Li who seems to have found a fountain of youth somewhere. She plays the role of Anna Lan-Ting with a seductive and secretive flavor which is a joy to watch. Her husband, mob boss Anthony Lan-Ting, is being played by Hong Kong icon Chow Yun Fat who exudes charm and power but still manages to walk the fine line of a character you feel attracted to but also know you should actually stay away from. His performance adds the right amount of flair the production needs. Ken Watanabe plays out his sinister vibe along with a human grace perfectly and Jeffrey dean Morgan is believable as the friend who ended up dead.

Instead of a movie about politics and war, it's more about human relations and the different side to people. How people are used and mislead at times like this, and matters of the heart play an important role in the decisions the characters make.

If you are open to a movie that makes you think and wonder, you will definitely love 'Shanghai'.

The only thing that I did not get into was the romance-angle between John Cusack and Gong Li.... but maybe that's how it's meant to be. It's easy to see why he would fall for her but she, on the other hand, might have a whole different agenda.
40 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Captures a period well, great performances too
thomvic29 January 2011
This movie captures that period of 30's Shanghai quite well. Well I wouldn't be the best person to judge considering I know little about that time, but from what I had seen in this film, it was very intriguing.

This espionage/war film gets your attention. The plot is not too complicated, has a nice pace, good performances and an international cast. John Cusack is decent in this role, Gong Li is gorgeous as ever and her English seems to have improved. She captures the screen with her grace and beauty, but also a believable performance. Chow Yun Fat is equally as good. Ken Watanabe - a good performance though he really needs to work more on making his accent understandable as I still have a little trouble with him, but nevertheless makes a good icy character.

The last act creates the suspense very well, though I'll have to admit, though I found the ending dramatic and decent, it might have been more interesting if they actually filmed what happened instead of doing the voice-over, but hey I guess budget constraints and time can get in the way, so I'm alright with it I suppose.

This is a visual feast. It is good to see many actors of different nationalities blend in for what is a cross country story. Japan/China/Germany. Franka Potente has a role here too, which I enjoyed as well.

The only problem with the film, though it wasn't it's fault, was that the version I watched did not have English subtitles when they were talking in Chinese. At first, I thought that this was part of the movie, as you weren't meant to understand it, but there are important scenes near the end where I had no clue what they were saying. It didn't mean I didn't get the rest of the plot or what was happening, but that could have given me a bit more to work with and more juice as well. Oh well, it's not their fault.

This is an enjoyable movie, and it captures that sense of mystery, mistrust, betrayal and fear that you experience during an espionage/war film. Though this isn't essentially a war film in that it's main focus is about blowing up people etc, it is about the struggle of invasion and the effects of it. Recommended.

I hope it gets a wider release in the US and here in Australia because it is a good film.
18 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An almost great film, but more importantly an excellent homage/throwback to film-noir.
dvc515922 July 2010
They sure don't make films like these anymore. Back in the 1930's - 1950's the cinemas were filled with reels of gangster/detective films shot in black and white. The days of classic films such as "Double Indemnity", "Notorious", "The Maltese Falcon" and "Touch Of Evil" were long gone. In it's place we have, today, overbudgeted, overblown films that causes today's youthful audiences to have Attention Deficit Disorder and be bored at any film that is not filled with explosions every two milliseconds. In between then and now we had many homages to film-noir that stand out on their own. Roman Polanski's "Chinatown" for instance is the best "neo-noir" film ever made and many films directed by Michael Mann also have strong noirish influences. "Shanghai", while not excellent, manages to become a good, neat little thriller on its own right, but properly includes the classic noirish themes of the 40's - 50's that gave the classic films the reputation they have now.

Granted, the script by Hossein Amini has mostly nothing new apart from the noirish elements from those other classic noir films. It's an old- fashioned American murder mystery, but set in the Far East. Familiar plot revelations take place as our hero weaves his way through a web of lies, deceit/deception, betrayal, romance, murder, corruption, and in this film's case, war. What stood out in the film's screenplay is the number of languages used in the film: English, Japanese and Chinese, although I wished the latter two were featured more prominently than they were in the final film. And I have to admit, although unoriginal, the twists in the movie are intriguing and kept my attention.

The international actors are great and fit into their roles like tailor- made suits. John Cusack as the protagonist gives off his Bogie-like character a subtle and calm performance that is also charming. Gong Li, beautiful as ever, is the main dame of the film and she has that sultry, mysterious look in her eyes that you can't take your eyes off of her. Chow Yun-Fat, finally in a role worth watching him in, is the mob boss who may or may not be on Cusack's character's side, as he adapts an extremely charming yet secretive personality under that face of his. And Ken Watanabe has that sinister vibe in him as the film's primary antagonist, though he exudes a certain class to his villainous character. Fine supporting characters played by interesting actors such as David Morse, Rinko Kikuchi, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Franka Potente round up the very distinguished and diversified cast.

Production value and cinematography are top-notch as they transport you back in time to the glamor and grit of pre-occupied Shanghai, with its well-designed and furbished sets/locations filled with plenty of real extras instead of CG ones for a nice change, and crisp, properly lighted scenes with big and wide camera angles so to appreciate the settings even more. Klaus Badelt scores the film with a proper suspenseful element to it making it feel more at home with the noirish crowd without feeling to overdone, thus also making it easier to evoke emotions in the audience, especially to those who are new to the noir genre. Thanks to Mikael Håfström for his focused direction in bringing the best out of the actors.

This is, more importantly, a throwback to the noirish days of old. This film would be a great starting point for those new to noir, and people who like thrillers should give this nostalgic time capsule a chance.

Entertainment value: 9/10

Overall: 7/10
45 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A captivating drama about spies in the turbulent Shanghai in the 1940's
Gordon-1125 August 2010
This film is about the lives of several spies from America and China in the turbulent Shanghai in the 1940's.

"Shanghai" is a mesmerising film that successfully recreates the 1940's feel of Shanghai. The film is engaging throughout, with no unnecessary scenes. It is also straightforward and easily understandable, which is a rarity for spy dramas. It is also captivating, as it beautifully captures the stress of people living deceitful lives, not knowing who to trust, without any back up. Even your best friend can be someone entirely different, befriending you only for intelligence.

Gong Li is great in "Shanghai", she radiates beauty and charm, and yet at the same time her extraordinary elegance seems to be begging for pity and mercy. She is rightly cast for her role.
31 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Holds no surprises but you can expect some commendable performances from its cast
moviexclusive28 June 2010
What a crowd. Over at one end, we have the underrated John Cusack, who has proved that he can headline a movie with Roland Emmerich's disaster flick 2012. He plays an American who arrives in Shanghai to find himself in lots of troubles and conspiracies. Over at the other end we have two Asian mega stars – Chow Yun Fat and Gong Li. Viewers may be familiar with Chow's Confucius and Captain Sao Feng (from Singapore, nonetheless), but he is also fondly known as Hui Man Keung the charismatic triad leader in the 1980 TV series The Bund, which takes place in, yes, Shanghai. Hence, it is most apt that Chow takes on the role of a vicious triad leader in this movie. Gong has stunned the Western audiences with her performances in Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) and Miami Vice (2006), but the most memorable and stunning performance yet (for some male audiences, at least) has to be with her bountiful assets in Zhang Yimou's Curse of the Golden Flower (2006), where she plays wife of, call it a coincidence if you must, Chow. Here, she plays again plays Chow's beautiful wife, and flaunts her figure quite a bit in some scenes. Elsewhere, we have Ken Watanabe, an Oscar nominee (for Edward Zwick's The Last Samurai), who takes on the role of a shady official who has more than a few dark secrets to hide. So it is with this wonderful ensemble of actors that we have this period piece set during the years of World War II. A few months before the bombing of Pearl Harbour, these four characters in the Japanese occupied city of Shanghai come together to concoct a dangerous tale of government secrets and forbidden love. Sounds like your typical period piece with gunfights, grand sets and predictable plot developments of double crossings? Yes, it is. Director Mikael Håfström pulls no surprises here, treating his viewers to scene after scene of impressive set designs (expensive sets were built in London and Thailand because the Chinese authorities said no to the shoot weeks before production was set to begin), remarkable cinematography of sweeping camera angles and intricate costumes of an era now gone. While these help to satisfy the visual senses, they do not do anything more. We've seen similarly high production values elsewhere, and the "been there done that" storyline does not push the somewhat dreary pace of the movie forward. So what we have left are the cast's sure footed performances. Cusack, whom we have always loved, does a fine job here as an American who arrives in a foreign land, only to find his compatriot murdered. Through his investigations, he discovers things he isn't meant to find out. The always reliable Cusack plays this role with conviction and has us going along with the ride. Chow is an Asian icon, and his portrayal of the suspiciously treacherous triad leader is spot on. The might and valour he exudes holds the movie together. Gong, as sensuous as ever, commands the screen with her alluring voice and, ahem, her well endowed figure. Watanabe turns in a somewhat touching performance as the villain with a heart. In one scene, he shares with Cusack his past. The emotionally touching sequence will strike a chord with some romantic die hards. So will you walk away with new insights about Shanghai, which is now the bustling metropolis of China? Probably not, but be assured that you'd be wowed by the fine performances of the well directed cast.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very Thrilling War Detective
denis8882 January 2011
I have really enjoyed this excellent movie, since i love war films. This one is about a pre-Pearl Harbor Shanghai, where Japanese, Chinese, Nazi, American intelligence services clash, and it's common people who make history. John Cusack is a great choice for the main role, and he delivers his part impeccably. Being a secret agent, he is deeply sensitive and sensible man, who wants to reveal some mysteries and he is right in the whirlwind of a war craze. Other actors include Chow Yun Fat, Gong Li, among others, and they all do great jobs. Japanese soldiers fight the Chinese partisans, Americans try to find out what they think will help... and all this is a dizzying background to a deep touching story of love, hate, cowardice, friendship, bravery and valor. This movie is highly recommended
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fascinating to watch
phd_travel24 January 2011
The subject matter is interesting. There is suspense and action and romance. Too bad it didn't get a bigger box office release and reception. Some slight imperfections are there.

The cast is good. All top notch Asian actors. Chow and Watanabe add stature. Gong Li is alluring if a little older. Cusack is a bit goofy looking but blends in to the scenes well. Heard Johnny Depp was interested probably would have been worse.

The sets are bit too theatrical and lacked a little on location feel.

The story is feel good old fashioned adventure romance and not irritating. Sometimes it was hard to catch some of the dialog and because of that got a bit lost.

Overall worth watching.
15 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Shanghai
DICK STEEL8 July 2010
If I were to trace my lineage, then the city of Shanghai would feature only two generations away, and having been there for the very first time only last month, I marvel at the magnificence of the city, and just about how modern development have taken place in the last 10 to 15 years with shiny new skyscrapers sprouting up on the opposite bank of the river where Old Shanghai still stands, where it's quite the experience to just stroll along the Bund to marvel at architecture of old amongst thronging crowds; if you think Singapore is bad well, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Shanghai the film happened to be a somewhat troubled project, with the shoot being blocked just weeks before production was scheduled to begin, then faced with the abandoning of sets and the relocation to Thailand and London, followed by question marks on its release date. Well, it's finally here, and I'd think it was well worth the wait, given no scrimping on its production values, and director Mikael Hafstrom splashing plenty of noir in his approach to tell a tale of spy versus spy set against Shanghai in 1941, where the city has yet to fall to the Japanese, and thus becoming a hotbed for resistance movements, with plenty of foreigners still in country setting up protective enclaves for their own citizens.

While it may be a Hollywood production, the cast was predominantly Asian, assembling some of the largest names in the region for this project. John Cusack plays the lead character Paul Soames, a naval intelligence agent sent to Shanghai to investigate the death of his good friend Connor (Jeffrey Dean Morgan of Watchmen and The Losers fame), whose eyes from which we witness a series of intriguing events unfold, dealing with crossed loyalties and flimsy alliances. Going under the cover of a journalist with pro-Nazi sentiments, he works his charisma and know-how to get to the upper echelons of German society in the city, and from there, linking himself up with the German's new ally, Japan.

For Paul, there's more than meets the eye each step of the way in his investigations, and soon he finds himself on the teeters of discovering something large, with a hint on the sinister plans that might be hidden under the cloak of misinformation. History buffs may know what this will allude to, but for those not in the know, then it's time to read up, and to find out from the plot as it unfolds.

But the story happens to strike a parallel with a heavy examination into human relationships, and how the ties that bind can sometimes hurt, especially during a time where the environment is extremely tensed, and nobody is truly clear of one another's motivation, and deep dark secrets. For local triad leader Anthony Lan-Ting (Chow Yun-Fat), his wife Anna (Gong Li) seems to be there when needed, yet can disappear either to entertain his guests, or do so without qualms when he's in the company of his mistresses. There's always suspicion that she's hiding something and is more than the dainty seductress that she's made out to be, especially when Paul gets enamoured by her charms, and Ken Watanabe's Japanese intelligence officer Tanaka ever keen to break her cover.

Yes, this film looks more like an Asian film, which reunites Hong Kong's Chow Yun-Fat with China's Gong Li again after their collaboration in Zhang Yimou's The Curse of the Golden Flower, and Japanese stars Ken Watanabe and Rinko Kikuchi even given a small role. All of them recognizable names, all of them leading their star power to the film and delivering stellar performances mostly, dealing with the double crossing of one another through an intricate web of love and betrayal, and how emotions get the better of Man eventually.

There's no one dimensional character here, with supposed villains surprisingly having a heart when protecting their loved ones against harm, and how everybody will use everything within their power to ensure that family, friends and even strangers stay safe in a time of danger, although not always leading to their desired results. For romantics, Watanabe's Tanaka even opens up in a rare demonstration that he's not always that stoic, but can also be the unwitting victim of the complicated affairs of the heart, which the finale finally assembles all the broken pieces together, and we'd come to appreciate more on what motivates these characters.

The only let down will be Chow's turn as Anthony Lan-Ting the mob boss, as his role, together with Rinko Kikuchi's, is really playing second fiddle to Watanabe in terms of charisma, and screen time compared to what Gong Li occupied here. But this is still one recommended ensemble thriller that has a strong underlying romantic thread, beautifully crafted to highlight the frustrations of love, and that of survival in a black, white and grey world.
25 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
opulent throw back to the films of the golden age of film
dbborroughs28 August 2010
I saw this English Language film dubbed into Chinese with English subtitles on an import DVD from Chinatown.

The film stars John Cusack as an American spy in 1941 Shanghai. He's arrived from Berlin to meet up with a good friend, whom he soon learns has been murdered in the Japanese sector of the city. As the threat of war becomes less threat and more real Cusack must try and figure out what his friend was working on before it's too late.

Huge sprawling epic that's the sort of things that they don't make any more. This is an action soap opera at it's finest. Its a wonderful popcorn film that undoubtedly looks great on the big screen. Made with an international market in mind it has a great cast with Gong Li, Chow Yun Fat, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Ken Wantanabe all strutting their stuff. Sadly I can't see this becoming a huge hit in the US, not because it isn't good, more because American audiences don't know what to make of films like this.

For the most part this is enjoyable in the way that the wartime films of the 1940's are. They are some what predictable, some times surprising and purely contrived in the plotting. The plotting's twists toward in the last half hour is where the film kind of skids since its connection to Pearl Harbor, and some character motivation, is a bit too much to ask.

Its a fun guilty pleasure thats worth a look see. I don't know if you need to pay full price to see it in a theater (then again this is a great looking film, but at the same time if you like this sort of epic drama try it on cable.

As for me I can't wait to see how this plays in English.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great production values but a hollow core
coxaca4 September 2012
This is a fascinating movie in many ways, not least for its partially successful elucidation of a particularly dark period in Shanghai's colourful history. However, "Shanghai" comes across all too often as a confused mish-mash of other movies - Casablanca and The Third Man both spring rather too readily to mind - while offering little of its own in the way of an original plot or any intriguing character arcs.

Solid acting work all 'round. Franka Potente is probably the most watchable of the actors here, despite being less toothsome than Gong Li (who looks every bit her age in this movie but is still ravishingly attractive).

There are a few intriguing glimpses of Shanghai as it might have been in the early 40s, including one particularly well-recreated crane shot of the Bund - although I have to say the ships look just a tad too close to the imposing British-built buildings lining that famous boulevard. There's another shot from inside the Cusack character's hotel room showing a few of Shanghai's classic buildings through the window, clearly digitally composited as those particular buildings could never have been viewed that way from the one vantage point.

However, it seems (judging from the credits) that the vast majority of this movie was shot in Thailand, and thus most of the street scenes and interiors are fairly generic and not particularly evocative of Shanghai's history. For a much better rendition of this you need to have a look at Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" which treads similar territory (Shanghai, spies, Japanese occupation etc) with much more style.

Indeed I find myself wondering why this movie was made at all, given that pretty much 100% of its thematic territory had been covered by Lee's movie just a couple of years before, and with considerably more chutzpah.

Nevertheless...if you're a fan of any of these actors, it's worth a look.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Coulda been a contender.
Edward J. Hahn29 August 2010
Somebody saw Ang Lee's "Lust/Caution" and sold the idea of making a similar film in English with an all-star cast.

As my movie-making friends say, "Nobody starts out to make a bad film, but it happens a lot" This isn't a horrible film, it's just bad. Historically inaccurate with holes in the plot you could drive a Japanese tank through and a cast that just seems to be going through the motions.

The first hour is bearable and then things go all to pot as one unbelievable thing after another fills the screen. Gong Li is the only cast member who does a credible job. This may be the first John Cusack vehicle I haven't liked, to say nothing of Ken Watanabe and Chow Yun Fat.

It's no wonder, it spent 2 years in editing. It boggles the mind to imagine what the editors left out. Definitely not worth leaving the house to see. If you hanker to see one director's idea of what Shanghai looked like in 1941, rent the DVD. Otherwise "fuggedaboutit"!
21 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Too Bad it Wasn't a Better Movie
djhreg4 July 2011
Reading the other reviews, I can hardly believe I watched the same movie. While there were a few good scenes, on the whole this was a crummy movie.

So, we start with a reasonably believable premise for a thriller: Shanghai in 1941 definitely did have Japanese who were not nice. There definitely were Chinese collaborators who were not nice. There were large gambling establishments and a certain amount of glamour (along with a lot of horrible misery) in Shanghai at the time. Stuff was going on in the run-up to Pearl Harbor and the U.S. was not the entirely innocent, naive, passive bystander that U.S. elementary school textbooks portray. So... a U.S. Naval Intelligence guy undercover in Shanghai in late 1941? Great premise for a fiction movie!

Add a first class Japanese and Chinese cast and a good to excellent American cast. Gong Li and Chow Yun Fat are among the best China (Hong Kong) has to offer and they have done stellar work in other movies. Ken Watanabe is arguably the best living Japanese actor at the moment and was outstanding in "Inception", the "Last Samurai" and dozens of others. John Cusak was excellent in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" Mix in a large amount of effort, opulent sets, tons of money....

AND....somehow end up with a wooden turkey!

I ordered the DVD and we set it up with our projector at home. Primarily, it was my son studying history at the Naval Academy and speaks Japanese - very interested in the subject) and I watching while my Japanese wife dozed off happily on the couch.

The first clue was the subtitles. As a multilingual household we always check the options. We were surprised to find that this was an English language movie...OK...there was a certain logic to that. Should we turn on the English subtitles? Naw... that would be silly. We started the movie. One minute into the action we were stopping the movie to turn on the English subtitles. Why? Ken Watanabe was mumbling and unintelligible.

This wasn't the fault of Ken Watanabe. He did fine job delivering perfectly intelligible and compelling dialog in "Inception". Poor speech intelligibility is the symptom of sloppy production.

Next problem was the wooden script. The constant stopping for the Chinese or Japanese characters to apologize for speaking their own language might be believable for someone who has never actually been in the Far East. Real life is rarely like that. When you are the lone American in a room full of Japanese or Chinese, they are pleasant and polite, but by no means do they stop every 30 seconds to apologize for speaking their own language.

At first I thought that the stiff performances might be the result of forcing otherwise outstanding Japanese and Chinese performers to speak in English. However, as I continued to watch the rest of the movie, I realized that the native English speakers weren't doing much better.

By the end of the movie, the problem was clear: the script writer was desperately trying to scrape together every cliché in the history film noire and somehow stuff it into the movie. Less would have been more.

Ang Lee's "Lust Caution" (based on the semi-autobiographical short story by Eileen Chang) is a much better movie on roughly the same subject. By the way, I has the same reaction as the only other reviewer who wasn't enthusiastic: I thought this movie was "borrowed" from "Lust Caution". However, in poking around at the background, it looks like this one took almost 10 years to get produced...meaning the initial story predated "Lust Caution".

I love the subject material and all the performers...Too bad "Shanghai" wasn't a better movie.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
An entertaining film for the one who is tired of the same old same old
Shin Obi13 January 2011
A good selection of actors cant save the fact that being an American made film about the orient is going to obscure the facts and bias the point of view.

Trying to make out that the most blood thirsty, violent war mongering country in the world was a mere pass-a-by in WW2 is non-sense.

Still, its a detective, romance, rebel uprising set in decadent shanghai makes for the lack of facts. Don't expect a documentary, but it beats watching another of those 999,999 type of American movies about American teenagers in American high school showing how superior America is.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Li Gong the Great
larkinoz16 August 2010
Whenever I see Li Gong in a movie she dominates it so much that it has to be good for me because I adore her. Her presence takes a movie to new heights and sensations. Just one glance and she says a thousands words. I think without her this movie would have been a much lesser thing.

As an Asian movie lover I enjoyed it. It was a brave attempt to recreate that fantastic old Shanghai. It didn't quite do it but did it enough to make a colourful historical backdrop for a fairly routine story line. What really made this movie successful was actor performance and there are plenty of top class actors in it to make it really worthwhile. For actors alone it is worth watching and especially that wonderful lady Li Gong who is simply hypnotising.

I watched this in Chinese with English subtitles which I found an interesting change. Japanese is also spoken.

Well worth a watch
14 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Noir that takes place in Shanghai
KineticSeoul22 February 2011
The plot takes place in Shanghai a part of China the Japanese didn't completely take over yet during the Japanese invasion and occupation of China in 1940's. Jeffrey Dean Morgan has a scene in the beginning a very short scene and you wonder why he would want to be cast for this movie. But he gets some flashback scenes which makes his decision sort of makes sense. Anyways the plot mainly revolves around Paul Soames(John Cusack) investigating a friends death while the Chinese and the Japanese are basically having something similar to a gang war between each other in Shanghai. Mainly between the Chinese resistance and the Japanese servants to their emperor. The movie also has spy elements to it and doing espionage on the Japanese and Nazis, mostly on the Japanese. The flaw of this film is that it just doesn't have good character interactions sometimes and not very clever and sometimes not all that believable. I could tell this movie is a homage to noir and even if the topic at hand is interesting, the movie as a whole just wasn't that great. The movie moves slowly and doesn't cover as much as it should with it's run time. both actors play a role they probably wasn't proud of. Not much is accomplished during the run time of this movie. This is a decent film and a good homage to noir, but I can see why this movie didn't do so well. It just isn't for mainstream audiences and and besides the performances it just seemed like a straight to DVD film despite the large budget. Even if the film to some degree accomplished what it tries to do to some degree. I was disappointed in a way since the movie didn't go the direction I wanted it to go, which isn't anything against this film but my own wants. Mainly because almost all the screen-time is on John Cusack despite it having well known Asian actors. The second most screen-time goes to Gong Li. The biggest reason I wanted to see this movie is because it has Chow Yun-Fat and Ken Watanabe and was expecting a face off between the two different characters these actors will play in a clever manner. Which would have been cool, but that wasn't the case. And another disappointment is how these two Asian actors hardly has any screen-time, their roles are small. The main element that drives this film is the characters impulses and intentions, which will keep you guessing and until everything is put together and everything comes together is a above average manner.

7.8/10
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A movie genre that should never be let to die
John Raymond Peterson1 November 2011
They don't make 'em like this anymore. When was the last time you saw a thriller, edge of your seat mystery, action pact, period piece, and relentless pace with a bunch of accomplished and well know actors who ply their skills for the art and not for a big budget by today's terms? This is one. In the tradition of movies like 'The Quiet American' (2002), 'L.A. Confidential' (1997), 'Chinatown' (1974) , "Mulholland Falls' (1996), 'Double identity' (1944 & 1973), 'Touch of Evil' (1958) and even the classic 'The Maltese Falcon' (1941), the movie 'Shangai' seems to stand out today in a sea of glitzy flicks and romantic comedies galore. I was very pleased by its storyline, to see the cast of names I knew and liked, so I jumped at the chance to watch it. It was like re-experiencing movie going fun like I had not in a long time.

Considering the cinematography, special effects and staging challenges that brings us back in time to the days preceding Pearl Harbor and in Shangai of all places (what a backdrop), and considering also the cast, if you have cinematic knowledge, it is almost incredible that this film was made at all and more so for a mere $50M budget. I trust the ratings will only keep going up as more viewers record their own ratings, because it deserves better than just 6.5 as of the time of my review. Most of the movies in which company I included 'Shangai' are admittedly better to equal.

I was looking for something recent featuring Li Gong because she is one of those actors (actress) who has a knack for picking movies that are excellent and in which she plays roles that are demanding; I came across this movie. I read the names of the cast; I'm a fan of most of John Cusack's work, and the same goes for Yun-Fat Chow, David Morse, Ken Watanabe, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Franka Potente. My movie collection includes several movies from each of them. It goes without saying that I liked it and recommend it.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Spycraft is so much more meaningful when you do it for a dame
siderite15 September 2015
We've seen this in spy movies before: men do things because it is their duty, for whatever reason they feel it is, until they meet a woman. Then it all goes haywire. Most of the time, people love this kind of script and when you have the cast that you have: Cusack, Chow, Watanabe, Morse, Morgan, you expect to love a good old fashioned spy movie that also teaches about the period before the Japanese entering the second world war. Asian sensibilities in the romantic noir period: win!

However, the biggest sin of the movie was, believe it or not, the editing. John Cusack is not a fantastic actor, but he is good enough. Ken Watanabe is always good, no matter what kind of movie you cast him in, and all of David Morse, Yun-Fat Chow and Jeffrey Dean Morgan had marginal roles, yet well acted. However the editing of the material was horrendous, to the point where you didn't actually get what the movie was about, who was who and what were they doing. For Western audiences that do not know the history in the region - as myself - would be especially difficult to understand where the plot is going and what are the different factions and what their goals are.

I wanted to like the movie, a detective noir about spies in Shanghai before the Japanese declaration of war and the reasons why Americans might not have found out in time about the Pearl Harbor attack: women! :) but it didn't work out that way. Instead it felt a little bit like another bit of Asian/Cusack melange: Dragon Blade, which was just as epic and just as clumsy a production.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good period piece about 40s China
Anssi Vartiainen4 August 2015
Shanghai takes place just before Japan entered the World War Two. Paul Soames (John Cusack) comes to China to look for his friend who, like him, worked for the American intelligence effort. From that basic setting we end up getting a good mystery thriller, with all the usual good stuff. Glamorous women, elegant locations, the looming threat of war, betrayals, reveals, backstabbing and more.

One of the film's strengths are its actors. I haven't seen Cusack in anything for a while, but he's still in great shape and gives a good performance as your typical silent neo-noir investigator hero. Li Gong is also very good as Anna Lan-Ting, the resident femme fatale.

Truth be told, I kind of wish the script was a bit better so that these people could have really stretched their wings. As it is, it's not bad, but it's not really all that original either. You can figure out the mystery pretty early if you know anything about history, the biggest twist when it comes to characters also comes near the beginning, none of the romance subplots really surprise and as a whole, while I was entertained, I wasn't really that thrilled.

Shanghai is a good film to check out if you're a fan of wartime period pieces and want to see one that, for a change, doesn't take place in Western Europe. It has great actors, a decent script, excellent production values and a tight enough pacing to make up for its unoriginality.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great and Fast Moving If ur up to it!
shanthosh1210 January 2011
Shanghai is a tale of romance and drama before the time of the pearl harbor attack,and is an excellent Noir Film If you're new to the genre.It includes a great ensemble of John Cusack,Li Gong and Ken Watanabe,whose potential steal the show!...

The story revolves around Paul Soames(Cusack) who investigates the murder of his friend Conner,who was a fellow spy like himself and who was working inside enemy lines in Shanghai,investigating the troubling relationship between Japan and China.Anna Lan-Ting(Li Gong) meets Soames during a gambling match and John Cusack tries to gets attracted to her(and meets her husband!).Her Husband Anthony Lan-Ting(Chow Yun-Fat) is a major man in Shanghai with political and mafia connections.And it turns out that Anna works with the resistance and the Japanese Captain Tanaka starts to pursue her......

The Highlight of the movie is its great atmosphere!(u call it editing,u call it sound design.....both wer gr8!).The cinematography and Lighting wer also equally good from the first shot till the last.....

This movie is definitely a must watch either if u like Film Noir or not,All the characters are given equally important roles,even though the story revolves around Soames(A lot Of Cusack Fans in India!) and one can safely say it is the best that Mikael Håfström has created.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gong Li rules!
stevenball27 April 2011
Few international movie stars of a certain age can compare with Gong Li - she is in a class all her own. Acting since her 20's - she is now more beautiful than ever in her 40's. She has only made a handful of Western movies & her command of the English language is still developing. She was great as the bad geisha in Memoirs of a Geisha - she was great as a drug lord's mistress in Miami Vice & now she is back in Western movies as the wife of a shady character in Shanghai. Unfortunately this movie made in 2008 has yet to be released in the US - so the only way to see it is to buy a DVD. It was made for the big screen & that is where it belongs. Julie Weiss's costumes are Oscar worthy. There are some similarities to Casablanca. Both movies are named after cities. Both female leads are in the resistance. Both movies have Nazis. & John Cusack does his best to channel Humphrey Bogart. But the best reason to see this movie is to enjoy the divine Gong Li dressed in some fabulous costumes. You will be entertained.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
confusing
dromasca17 April 2014
Maybe too many pictures were already made about that city and that period and they look too much one like the other. Or maybe after Ang Lee made one of them (Lust, Caution) there is not too much to say about this subject, even of that was not even Lee's best. In any case Shanghai made by Swede director Mikael Hafstrom does not succeed to be more than routine and confusing, and looks much less authentic than other attempts which were part of the same stream.

The story is set in the few months before the entry of the US in the war against Japan, and actually the heroes (some of them American agents) seem to discover preparations about Pearl Harbor and the breaking of the war in the Pacific, but they do not seem to care very much, as they are busy with their personal intrigues and revenge, as well as romantic stories, none convincing, all confusing, and certainly lacking the burning eroticism in the film by Lee. Actually never had John Cusack looked to me so uninvolved emotionally as in this film! I personally have a lot of sympathy for this actor, but he really seemed by himself unconvinced about what his character is supposed to do, so he failed to convince us as well.

Besides Cusack we have in this movie Li Gong, one of the greatest stars of the Chinese-speaking screens who makes all efforts to create something credible and worth remembering but eventually fails as well because of the lack of clarity of directing intentions. Ken Watanabe on the other hand is such huge an actor and has so much charisma that he looks convincing and deadly dangerous all over the film, with a human twist by the end. He may be actually the only reason for which the sentimental turn taken by the story towards its end does not look so bad despite the (bad) cartoonish Shanghai in flames.
Well worth the watch!
Thomas Aitken27 May 2012
Not sure why people haven't been more generous in their reviews of this film.

It was a great piece of film making with a great premise, good characters, excellent acting, and scripting, and it is beautifully shot.

This isn't an Oscar contender, but then it doesn't have to be to actually be a good and entertaining film worthy of a viewing.

I really enjoyed the way it placed a murder mystery into such a tense and dramatic period of history - World War II effectively becomes another central character in this film, and to great effect actually, because we all think we've got the big secret figured out right up until the very end when we discover it's not actually what we thought we 'knew' it to be.

I also really enjoyed the fact that it presented us with a strong notion of the fact that even during moments of huge historical importance, at the centre of these events are still real human beings, just like you and I, with real human concerns and affairs that consume their attentions (as well as the big things like world war).

A solid little flick, definitely worth the watch!
Great spy thriller
Enchorde18 August 2011
Shanghai is unfortunately the kind of movie that I rarely watch, the low key spy thriller. Luckily, once in a while a movie just like Shanghai turns up and reminds me how good the genre really is. Because Shanghai is a really good, entertaining and above all an intriguing movie. It shows once again that you don't need the tempo and effects of the big blockbusters to make a really good movie. It is really all about the story.

And Shanghai got a good one. Cusack plays the American agent Soames that is sent to Shanghai to investigate the murder of his best friend and fellow agent Conner. Conner seems to have fallen for the wrong girl, but Soames are convinced he was on to something big. Set in the besieged city of Shanghai during second world war (1941) the city is split between the Americans, British, Japanese and Germans. Not counting all the Chinese that are actually living there. The Japanese and Germans are allied, and has an agreement with the local branch of the triad. The Americans are supposed to be neutral, but the trail Soames is following leads to a dangerous and alluring woman, the leader of the Chinese resistance and the wife of the triad leader. So, everyone is scheming behind the others backs.

Important to these low key thrillers are the cast, and for a movie set as Shanghai is, I couldn't think of a better cast. John Cusack is joined by Yun-Fat Chow, Ken Watanabe, Li Gong, David Morse, Franka Potente and Rinko Kikuchi. Most of them is severely underrated and once again gives very good performances in Shanghai.

Shanghai is a modern film noire, and for me a refreshing addition to the genre. Highly recommended for anyone who doesn't need high octane explosions all the time to like a movie.

2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a throw back to how films used to be
jfmscouse4 June 2011
This is a mesmerising film. The camera shots and directing are truly beautiful. From its opening shots on the Shangai waterfront the film sets will captivate you and make you yearn for the days of Bogart and Raft. It is more like watching a colour version of a forties film noire than a modern movie, all the better for it. I think I noticed one swear word in the whole movie, otherwise I could have stepped back in time to the days of the studio system and old more stars than in heaven.

John Cusack has always been a favourite of mine,Yun-Fat Chow, Ken Watanabe are excellent and Li Gong steals your heart and never gives it back. Her performance is a true femme fatale of the old school.

If you are a fan of old Hollywood movies then I strongly recommend this film.