IMDb > Inheriting the Earth (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Inheriting the Earth More at IMDbPro »

Unsettling....a great directorial debut

Author: woods_k from Anderson SC
23 October 2007

I had the opportunity to view Inheriting The Earth earlier this summer during a break from shooting on another picture. I was very impressed with it. And a bit unsettled by the "reveal". OK, I admit it.....I jumped. I think my reaction got a rise out of the people viewing it with me, but even they admitted that it was a powerful scene. Props to Vanelle on delivering a solid short film. Exceptional work for a first time director!

I am very much looking forward to seeing what else Vanelle has planned for her future directing gigs. She's an incredible actress but showed that she has the talent to do something phenomenal behind the camera too.

Wow, I did not see that ending coming, no really.

Author: Aaron1375
16 June 2010

No really, I had no idea that the movie would continue like more than a minute after the shocking revelation that anybody should see coming a mile away. This is a case of a short film being way to long. Not that it was all that good up to the reveal or during the reveal, but why bore us with more movie long after the reveal. The story does not really have that much going for it, but then I have seen shorts where there is no dialog that are really good. This one has a little girl singing happily while walking side by side with an old man who is pulling along a little red wagon. They come up to a place where some mainly older children are kind of playing in a bored looking way. They all kind of go into the woods, and I will say no more than that. There is really nothing to this short and I would say a good two minutes could have been knocked off this short and they still get there point across. It is sad when six minutes feels like a lifetime and it did here. One positive though I really liked the music they played during the closing credits as it had a nice melody to it.