IMDb > "Murdoch Mysteries" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Murdoch Mysteries"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Murdoch Mysteries" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

A fine series with a charming lead

Author: skoyles from Calgary AB Canada
1 May 2010

Having neither read the books nor seen the original television movies, I come to the series with unbiased (if ignorant) eyes. My wife and I, who lived briefly in Toronto, are both charmed by Murdoch and his slightly daft colleagues. "Charmed" is the word, for we find the actors, scripts, clothing, details and the City of Toronto itself charming. The bigotry faced by a Catholic detective in the city of the Family Compact rings very true as does Murdoch's gentle piety, a refreshing change in today's detective shows. It is a bit mystery, a bit soap opera, a bit character study and a lot of fun. We, at least, have been captivated by William Murdoch as portrayed by Yannick Bisson, a character who is a genuinely honest, gentle and quiet man of strength facing ethical, moral, professional and legal challenges in each episode. George Crabtree and the Inspector become more interesting as time goes on. The corruption of Toronto and Ontario politics hides behind several episodes while the turn of the 20th century fascination with science and "the coming thing", as Brisco County Junior would say, gives some lightness to the whole thing. In the final analysis it is the interplay of characters, centred on the troubled but charming Murdoch himself, that elevates the Murdoch Mysteries to the level of Midsomer, Taggert or Poirot. A fine series and not only for Canadians.

Simply The Best Mystery

Author: landew from United States
27 February 2010

I'm been watching mysteries for many years and never have enjoyed a series more than Murdoch Mysteries. The time period, set design and writing matches the great performances by the cast, who you can't help but appreciate. If ever a series deserved a wider audience and advertising, it is this one. The unfulfilled love affair between Doctor Ogden and Murdoch is so well written and performed perfectly by Helene Joy and Yannick Bisson. Also, top notch acting by Jonny Harris in his portrayal of Constable Crabtree gives just the prefect comic relief while Murdoch solves the case using every scientific method available. Thomas Craig is also marvelous as the cranky Inspector Brackenreid. I can't help wondering why this show does not have a larger audience base since it is the talk of so many people I know, both at work and socially. My wife and I eagerly await each and every episode. Please make many many more!

The Season 2008

Author: slrehlau from Canada
29 April 2008

The Murdoch Mysteries is like; The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, with Jeremy Brett meets CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

Yannic Bisson had made a master piece in establishing 'Murdoch's" character, which in my opinion, takes the best of William Peterson's role as "Gil Grissom" and Jeremy Brett's as "Sherlock Holmes". The feel of this show gives me the impression that these characters are believable, I actually care about how their relationships' enfold and in the exploration of the early sciences of crime scene investigation, it shows an appreciation for the intelligence of it's viewers.

For example, the episode: "Still Waters", where Murdock uses his "new fangled lie detector", show us a level of sophistication in helping the viewer, me, see how through science and experimentation these early "machines", might have actually looked like.

The production company, SHAFTSBURY FILMS, has created a "Canadian" show that doesn't look like any other "Canadian" show I've ever seen, way to go everyone!

S. Lucy Rehlau

Very well made and acted Victorian era set Canadian crime series.

Author: Celticnationalist from Wales
4 April 2010

'Murdoch Mysteries' stars Yannick Bisson as Inspector William Murdoch who solves crimes in 1890's Toronto, is an exceptionally well made and acted series, which makes a nice change from CSI/NCIS etc. staple of whiz-bang, FX laden crime shows

Bisson is likable as the handsome Inspector, with English Actor Thomas Craig suitably sceptical and at times dopey as his by-the-book boss and Johnny Craig is good as his rather naive partner and at times hindrance Constable Crabtree.

Helene Joy is suitably understated as the resident Doctor/Pathologist.

Now in its Third series, currently being shown on UK Cable channel ALIBI, (It surely deserves a wider audience on a Major British Channel)

The writing, set design and Photography is exquisite and convincing

Fans of well made and intelligent Mystery Series will find much enjoyment in Inspector Murdoch's cases.

Murdoch Mysteries Show

Author: Jay S
24 June 2012

Great Canadian show. Simple, yet top notch with a Canadian like atmosphere.Very realistic for the times. History is great. The clothing designs and artifacts is exceptional. It seems the times were simple back then. Well written with a touch of humour. The cast are all excellent. You can tell they all get along really well. The show reminds me of Sherlock Holmes and yet it also reminds me of Sue Thomas FB Eye and Due South which by the way it sure was nice to see Paul Gross (from Due South) appear in an episode as his brother, although not sure what episode it was. We didn't see his name on the cast list as a guest star. The guest appearances are outstanding and it sure is nice to see some familiar faces. We love and watch all the episodes. With each season the character story lines change as in the case of Helen Joy, Yannick Bisson which is excellent leaving us more curious with what will happen next. That is one of the reasons we like the show. Now that the show is in it's fourth year the plot lines are continually changing which goes to prove that Murdoch Mysteries is a true success. Keep up the excellent work.

Message from 'down under'

Author: janice-lowing from Australia
28 December 2012

There are so few shows that I thoroughly enjoy. Murchoch Mysteries is one of 4 particular shows that I watch regularly - and tape so that I do not miss them.

There are three main reasons that I like MM.

First, it is such a pleasure to watch something that does not have swearing, sex scenes, and gratuitous violence. Even though there are the odd (bordering on) romantic interludes the story line remains true to the theme of the title and they do not over-shadow the stories.

Second, I quite like viewing shows that depict times gone by and it is interesting to see how detectives'/police duties were (supposedly) undertaken in that time.

Third, the acting and story telling - as noted in a previous post - equals that of Midsummer Murders, Poirot (another favourite of mine), Judge John Deed (again, another favourite).

I like each character who has a distinct role and adds to the show as well as the enjoyment of watching the show. I do hope that there are quite a few new series planned.

A fun, yet thoughtful show.

Author: llawrance1972 from Lowestoft, England
9 April 2010

I caught 'The Murdoch Mysteries' by accident while drifting around the satellite channels and was instantly hooked. A well performed, touching and interesting show caught my eye. The characters are involving, are worth caring about and have a strong sense of purpose. Each one brings something to the mix and adds their own skills to the events of each episode. Each episode has a strong mystery to be solved, sometimes offering an intriguing moral dilemma to both Murdoch and the viewer. It is also very reassuring to not have modern day morality thrust into the past as happens so frequently with other shows (yes 'Dr Quinn Medicine Woman', I mean you), dealing with the nineteenth century. Instead we are allowed to explore the world as they see it, enjoying the discoveries and trying to find a way forward into a new century. Well done to all concerned and long may it continue.

Great Series

Author: hmflashgordon from Canada
11 April 2008

I like this series as it has so much to offer. The scenes & locales are interesting & very real to life. The actors demonstrate their abilities to fit the characters & make the characters real. I've seen both versions of Murdoch Mysteries with the 2 different lead roles & find them both a credit to each of the actors. Yes, obviously, they present different aspects of the character but each brings quality to the part. I really enjoy this series & look forward to each episode. It's great to see a Canadian production of this quality on TV - such a rare gem. I do hope this series is kept on & is appreciated by both the public & especially by the TV providers - cable & satellite.

Rush to judgement - A series versus movies of the week

Author: idenford from Canada
27 January 2008

The inevitable comparisons are going to take place between these two actors, Peter Outerbridge and Yannick Bisson. Their interpretation of the material is different for one very important reason, the movies of the week were based on novels, the series is based on the characters with the exception of one episode which is an adaptation of Let Loose The Dogs. My feeling is that you should not rush to judgement or make comparisons until you are able to see the entire series of episodes and witness how the characters unfold. The series is excellent and I would urge viewers to form an opinion after viewing a number of the episodes and see how the actors nuance their characters as well as the different textures that are shown from story to story, episode to episode.

Quality Canadian Entertainment

Author: dlbach1 from United States
5 January 2013

If you are a strict history buff, this program isn't for you. However, if you can turn off that mechanism in your brain that upholds the strictness in history you may see the humor that has been set within the confines of this show set in the Victorian Era.

Detective Murdoch is a bit of Sherlock Holmes and a bit of 21st century crime scene tech melded together in an HG Wells/steampunk manner. The show looks at things and uses techniques that were perhaps in their gestation period during the time setting of the show.

One big issue with history I have with the show is their 21th century mannerisms when it comes to sex and sexuality. In one episode, the detective asked the victims mother if she knew her daughter was pregnant. In that time period it would have been handled more delicately and possibly phrased as "in the family way" or "with child". The mother's reaction was also more 21st century. She just replied that her daughter had no beaus. A mother would have become flustered and averred her daughter was a "good girl".

Another issue I have with the show is that the only intercepting storyline that moves from episode to episode is the sordid affair between the detective and the doctor. One instance, in one episode the detective is rotting liver to hatch larvae and no one knows but him. Everyone (including the pathologist) who comes into his office gasps at the stench and he states he is used to it. The very next episode he walks into the pathology lab where the doctor is working on a rotting corpse and the detective nearly faints from the smell.

I can turn off my history buff mechanism in my brain and prepare to be entertained. I just don't enjoy inconsistencies slipping into the story.

All-in-all the show is what it is, entertainment provided in a superb quality as only Canadian television can. Had this been put out by Hollywood, as was inquired about on the message boards, it would be far worse and not worth the time to watch.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]