IMDb > Chandni Chowk to China (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Chandni Chowk to China

Chandni Chowk to China More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Um......there were some cheesiness......and cringing songs but...

Author: veggwhale from United States
1 November 2009

Well I don't care if people bash and hate this movie....I just thought it was very good. I'm a fan of Gordon Liu and Akshay Kumar. my family enjoyed this movie and I repeat, we aren't even Hindi/Indian, white, or Chinese. So boo ya if ya didn't like this movie. I know that Akshay has a background in martial arts and to see him in action and comedy was all that matters. I thought Deepika was very pretty as Suzy That roger guy who plays the dad was awesome too! Gawd I hate people who are always so negative about a movie. even if some scenes were kind of dumb, I didn't mind. The critics and the haters just nag and nag about the film and the director. so what? there are some bad directors out there, we get it now. But there were some good scenes about believing in yourself or sumthing like that. and i absolutely laughed at the potato worship. I'm not even Hindi or Chinese and I understood this film more than the losers who degraded it. Yeah there were some cheesy scenes, bad choice of music, and stuff but overall I looked beyond that and had enjoyed the movie.

Overladen with clichés

Author: jfsocc from Netherlands
23 January 2009

If you take this film serious in any manner, you will not enjoy yourself. however, if you see this film for what it is: a Satire featuring every cliché x1000, you will laugh until your jaws hurt.

Chandi Chowk to China uses the simple formula of the heroes' journey as often used in comedy. The Protagonist playing the not to bright dreamer who, a la Don Quixote de la Mancha starts on a journey which he believes is full of adventure and heroism, while onlookers will only see a man duped by his own foolishness.

While not going into the story too much, you can rest assured that most clichés pass the revue, such as the long lost relative, Mr presumed dead but no body ever found (jee what would happen), and even, for your viewing pleasure an actual cliffhanger, just before the "break" to get your popcorn. (which I am sure plenty movie theatres do not feature, mine didn't.)

Eventually our protagonist gets wise, but not after the necessary painful experiences, and slapstick. now I'm not too great a fan of slapstick, but the manner in which it is preformed makes you laugh nonetheless.

The whole movie seems just an excuse for sheer entertainment, which you get in the form of very colourful and stylish scenes and surroundings, a great soundtrack accompanying 'fantasy' scenes in true musical style, and over the top martial arts scenes, which for once are choreographed well.

It is a lengthy movie, so if you chose to watch it makes sure to relax and take your time, use that break. mind at zero, and you will have a great time.

all in all it was a good film as it succeeds in what it attempts. it doesn't take itself seriously, and neither should you. although it has to be said, after a while you wonder where they draw the line, because it really is OVER the top. Great for kids and adults alike.

Same formula, but a lot worse this time !!

Author: feziz from United Kingdom
16 January 2009

When I was going to watch this movie, I was just hoping that Akshay Kumar has not used the same formula again which he has been using in his recent movies - where he is a stupid, thick, ill fated guy who everyone hates, but still he makes the audience laugh due to the comical nature of the character. And then something completely unexpected happens which changes his life and he becomes a real Indian movie hero. This movie has also got the same old formula, but this time, the comedy in the beginning is by far the worst in his last few movies. Specially, the constant use of vulgar jokes (like breaking his balls or eggs, threatening to put a wooden stick into someone from behind, etc) don't help at all. Deepika has looked stunning in both the roles she has played. But apart from that, its all the same as "Welcome" and "Singh is King". The makers have tried to show some senseless and boring comedy. For example, Akshay gets away from the attack of about 25-30 enemies, completely unaware of them during dancing in one of the songs. Also, too many fighting sequences are just over the top. In short, the movie is a complete disappointment!!

Awesome cheesy fun!

Author: LaFeeChartreuse from Toronto
16 February 2011

I can't believe the low ratings this movie has gotten! My girlfriend and I just watched it and we loved it. Sure, it's incredibly cheesy and silly and over-the-top, but you can pretty much tell that from the cover and the entire basic premise of it, so anyone who isn't looking for something completely ridiculous should have known better than to watch it in the first place. I mean, come on. Bollywood martial arts movie! Was anyone really expecting high art? For what it was - a completely silly, campy, somewhat insane piece of fluff - it was really pretty awesome. Tremendously entertaining, with some great comedy, cool fight scenes (though it took a while to get to them - my only real complaint is that it was longer than it really needed to be), enjoyable music and dance scenes, and even something resembling an actual plot. Maybe you have to be in the right frame of mind to enjoy it, but if you are, it's a ton of fun and I'd highly recommend it.

Big disappointment from Akshay Kumar

Author: Shreyansh Agrawal from Delhi, India
16 January 2009

I am a great fan of Akshay Kumar. I booked the tickets for the 1st paid premier show for this movie. But I was seriously disappointed.

Comedy scenes wont make you laugh, by the time action scenes come u wont be interested. The movie doesn't excite you much and doesn't do anything to keep the audience glued to their seats. Their is no suspense, Deepika Padukone doesn't help either. Spoils the excitement as and when she appears on the screen. Their was so much fuss about the action scenes involving her, but those scenes has already been shown in all the trailers. The movie is very predictable. Very stupid at times.

I will recommend this movie only if u don't have to pay for it and you have a lot of spare time.

They are already planing a sequel. God bless the producers.

Its like a chowmien gone bad...

Author: Apurv Nagpal from India
16 January 2009

This is a great movie for those who've had 6 beers (or an equivalent amount of alcohol), or for kids (and those similarly intellectually inclined) or those who are fans of the mindless timepass genre, where you leave your brains at home, land up for the movie and then giggle aimlessly for the next three hours.

All others, like me, will find this movie a disaster. And the sad thing is that they had an interesting premise – a Chinese village, suffering from a tyrant, finds out that they can be freed by an ancient warrior who has been reborn in India. But then its almost as if the 'brains' behind the film decided to see how much they could dumb it down, how much unnecessary slapstick & nautanki they could throw in, how complicated (actually that's too soft a word, convoluted is probably better) they could make the plot. How many films could they 'borrow' from – there are shades of Mr Natwarlal, Goldfinger and most old Hindi movies, with the whole twins separated at birth, amnesiac father et all. And in general, how far away from reality could they go… If it weren't for Akshay, who still comes through with at least his acting reputation intact, if not his judgement, the rating would be even lower. Deepika is OK, looks good as always. Most others, well actually I'm being unfair on the actors as they were probably doing what they were told. And the songs were in keeping with the rest of the film. Effects, scenery and cinematography is decent. Fight sequences are OK OK - again too far away from reality for me to enjoy, they've almost created a real-life version of Kungfu Panda.

I actually had high expectations from this one (because the premise was interesting) and maybe that's why I'm so disappointed. I laughed only once or twice throughout the film, most other times I was cringing, or holding my head in my hands. The audience was 50-50, a few walking out in the interval, despite having paid Rs 260 per ticket and some others laughing every time the director intended them to. They're actually planning a sequel to this, but despite being set in Africa, a herd of wildebeest couldn't drag me to that one…

A fun film to watch!

Author: Mandip Sembhi from Singapore
16 November 2010

I think Chandi Chowk to China is a great film and it is fun to watch. I don't understand why most people don't like it but for me, the film was great! Akshay Kumar is just funny as hell in this film, playing his character Sidhu is just lol. I think he acted very well.

Deepika Padukone is lovely as ever! Playing a double role again (First being (Om Shanti Om) she was great. I liked her character Meow Meow, i think that it is a cool name and a very cool character. Her action scenes at the airport was fantastic. She looked great in all her costumes and her hair/ make-up was very beautiful! Her other character was also funny Ms. TSM.

Dada was great same as the other star cast in the film.

The songs in CC2C was funny. I love the title track Chandi Chowkt to China and Tere Naine (The sky song)...

Overall this film is a great watch! My rating for Chandi Chowk to China: 7/10

CC2C rocks

Author: Joe R from India
25 January 2009

This movie is the most entertaining movie I've seen in recent times.. Simply hilarious..Not serious at all..A laughing riot.. The cinematography is are the fight sequences.. Anyone with an iota of lively spirit in them would love this movie.. Every second of the movie is worth your money.. & you never get bored of at any in Bunty babli during which I was like,"when does the movie start?" till the end titles.. CC2C is much better than OSO, Rab Ne, & most of the films this year. All those folks out there who didn't watch it just because sum stupid hearsay, go out & watch it..It's one grand movie...Entertainment at its best.

Author: Venkatachalam Iyer from India
16 January 2009

In the initial years of his career, Ramesh Sippy made two gems that we remember (and cherish) to this date -- SEETA AUR GEETA and SHOLAY. SEETA AUR GEETA was about twin-sisters -- the docile and the aggressive. SHOLAY, of course, needs no introduction. Yet, to update the unacquainted, Ramgarh is gripped by a terror called Gabbar. Resultantly, Thakur recruits two men to put an end to Gabbar's tyranny.

Nikhil Advani pays homage to Ramesh Sippy's movies by merging SHOLAY and SEETA AUR GEETA. But this concoction called CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA is very very bland.

Come to think of it, Nikhil Advani had everything going for him. It's a dream project, what with heavyweights such as Warner Bros., Ramesh Sippy, Akhay Kumar and Gordon Liu agreeing to be a part of this mammoth project. But Nikhil slips and trips, falling flat on his face.

A mas-ala film is always welcome. In fact, two Desi films (RAB NE BANA DI JODI and GHAJINI) have been lapped up by the junta in a big way, but CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA is an unbearable mas-ala fare that insults the intelligence of the moviegoer.

The problem with CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA is that it lacks a watertight screenplay to keep you glued for those 2.45 hours. Agreed, you don't look for logic and reason in hardcore potboilers, but the least the director and his team of writers could do is provide loads of entertainment. Sadly, writers Shridhar Raghavan and Rajat Aroraa make mincemeat of a plot that had the potential to woo viewers from Chandni Chowk to China to Chicago to Cape Town.

So, what's the verdict then? Enjoy Chinese food instead. This one's a big, big, big letdown! Sidhu (Akshay Kumar) cuts vegetables at a roadside food stall in Chandni Chowk in Delhi. He longs to escape his dreary existence and looks for shortcuts -- with astrologers, tarot readers and fake fakirs -- believing anything except himself, despite his father figure Dada's (Mithun Chakraborty) best efforts.

The story takes a turn when two strangers from China claim he's a reincarnation of a war hero and take him to China. Thanks to the devious translator, a conman by the name Chopstick (Ranvir Shorey), little does he know that he is being taken to the Chinese village of vicious smuggler Hojo (Gordon Liu).

Therefore, Sidhu blissfully sets forth to China with Chopstick, who instigates dreams of a delicious future and forgets to reveal the perils, which await him. Along the way, he meets Sakhi (Deepika Padukone), who has embarked on a journey to pay homage to the land of her birth and her dead father and twin.

Hojo catches up with Sidhu and eliminates Dada right in front of everyone. Sidhu seeks revenge and finds the one man who will make him a Kungfu expert and set the village free from Hojo's tyranny.

On face-value, what do you expect from CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA? Laughter unlimited, great martial arts, a glimpse of China. But what's served on the platter is so insipid, so lame, so senseless that you wonder if there was a script in the first place. The comic scenes (that make you laugh) are few and far between. The scenes depicting martial arts are hardly exciting. Also, barring the Great Wall of China, don't expect China country tour here! There are big holes in the script. Sample these... * How and why do the two oppressed Chinese men suddenly land up in Chandni Chowk in Delhi? Also, how do they zero on Ranvir Shorey? No explanations offered. * Deepika's track of visiting China is trite. Wasn't the twin-sister, an infant, thrown off the Great Wall of China? How did Gordon Liu suddenly decide to bring her up? * Similarly, Deepika's father was also pushed from the Great Wall, but he survives. Akshay too is beaten black and blue and thrown off (coincidentally, from the same place -- Great Wall), but is rescued mid-air by Deepika's father. Miracles never cease to occur, must add.

Post interval, Akshay undergoes a grueling training session, but not once does the preparation give an impression that Akshay is seething with anger and vengeance. That's because the director has injected humor in these scenes and that takes away the seriousness from the plot. The climax is equally contrived and hence, makes no impact whatsoever.

Although the year 2009 has just begun, this film is sure to be a strong contender in Razzies in two departments mainly -- direction and writing. Nikhil Advani goes horribly wrong this time. As for the writers, well, they ought to take a crash course in film writing pronto. The songs are okay, with the title track and 'Naam Hai Sidhu' being the pick of the lot. The stunts (Dee Dee Ku) are plain mediocre. Even the dated martial arts' movies produced in the East offered better stuff. Himman Dhamija's cinematography lacks the picture perfect look.

Akshay Kumar is the sole saving grace, but the director hasn't tapped his potential to the fullest. Deepika Padukone is passable. Gordon Liu is decent. Ranvir Shorey is functional. Mithun Chakraborty is bland. Roger Yuan, Deepika's father in the film, is fair.

On the whole, CHANDNI CHOWK TO CHINA is a brilliant opportunity gone appallingly wrong. The film falls way below expectations and is a major disappointment in all respects. At the box-office, the hype might translate into a bountiful weekend, that's it. Thumbs down!

Full mind review: Chandni Chowk to China - Underrated

Author: Sreya Maitra from India
14 January 2012

Its way past the box office time, so this review is for buying DVD and watching it on TV.

Okay everyone, people say this film was bad but my friend said it wasn't. I didn't listen to her and didn't watch the film, but realized my mistake after watching it on TV.

I don't need to type the synopsis, I'll just write my opinion to it. Here's what my point of view says:- Their work - FIRST Indian martial arts film. I say it was well presented and a fresh idea. They shoot in China, used REAL Chinese (not stupid fake characters like in some movies) and good actors. Very impressive action scenes.

Story idea - As said, fresh idea. I really liked the theme. The reason why this film have flopped might be that the story is not very new and some things aren't too. BUT the only overused Martial arts theme typically are of some cop who fights a drug dealer or gangster as revenge for his family or something, this is similar too but not completely. Slapstick comedies, some hard parts and few might look meaningless, but as long its entertainment. But do blend together well and is fine as long you cut stupid things.

Acting - Akshay is good and maintains his comedy like always. I really liked Deepika in this film. She has a double roll (not a spoiler), and I personally liked the 2nd character she played. There's Ranvir Shorey who's fine and some unknown Chinese actors who're actually good.

Music - Minimal songs but catchy enough. Songs "From Chandi Chowk to China", "Tere Naina", "Sidhu theme" and "Fatte Chak Lende" are energetic and probably the only used songs and have good timings.

Direction - I don't know this director, but I don't find him bad. I don't why this film completely flopped. If 'Dhamaal' was a hit, then I supposed it to be at least an average grosser.

Verdict - 6 out of 10. Why? Because this isn't a serious film and 7+ ratings are for really meaningful ones. 6 is just fine and its good.

My opinion - I have seen this film like 5-6 times on TV and I always think what was that bad. If you're a fan of Akshay, Deepika, Martial Arts or just want a time-pass film, this is good for Home Video or even watching on internet. But AT LEAST watchable.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]