IMDb > Opposite Day (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Opposite Day More at IMDbPro »

It Is Only Worthwhile On Opposite Day

Author: dollpenguin from United States
24 November 2010

I watched Opposite Day yesterday and it was possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. My wife couldn't believe how awful it was either - we both like kids movies and even a lot of movies that people say are terrible don't seem too bad when we keep in mind that they are for kids. I have enjoyed children's movies starring Pauly Shore, Jim Varney as Ernest P. Worrel, Hulk Hogan, and most recently Jackie Chan and Dwayne Johnson. However, Opposite Day was terrible; I'm talking Baby Geniuses 2 terrible.

It seemed as if the writer of Opposite Day didn't know his own plot. Situations presented for supposedly comedic effect were not indicative of the alternate reality that we were supposed to accept. The script was also filled with throwaway dialog that was humorless even for children too young to understand simple jokes.

The director seemed to think the audience was dumb (over explaining concepts that ruin the suspension of belief even in young children). Maybe he was overcompensating for the horrible writing. The shot angles were adequate, but I don't think the director had a plan.

I also think the acting would have been better with a different director - some characters in kids movies must overact to emphasize their emotions for people who may not otherwise understand (very young kids); in Opposite Day there were no subtle characters which causes the effect to be lost on young and old alike. The movie had some good actors; George Wendt, Ariel Winter, etc, but they must have been told how to perform scenes rather than the director letting their abilities carry them.

I'm not trying to over analyze the movie. I am willing to glaze over most faults I find in a movie like this. However, I should have turned this movie off way before it turned me off so entirely. I do not see how anyone can truly enjoy this this movie. It is not so much that it is stupid, it is that the writing doesn't even try to be funny.

At one point a character says "We're going to have so much fun it will be coming out our ears!" and the kids laugh hysterically. I really think that was supposed to be a funny one-liner, but can't tell. This movie lacks humor and tries to rely on sight gags that not only get tiresome from repetition, they are so dumb that a typical child will have his/her intelligence insulted. My 5yo son loves movies, but was bored with this - anyone older than him would not even care enough to make a joke like "This film is great - WAIT - it's Opposite Day!"

Family fun

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
14 February 2010

This is a family movie of the better kind.

It have good entertainment for kids and adults alike. The story of the movie is good and interesting, especially for the kids. The movie contains it all; action, humor, drama, family values.

For a family/children's movie, there is a good solid story to the movie, and I am sure it will keep children entertained from the very start till the very end.

I especially loved the way the contents of his malt (or milkshake, or whatever it was) kept changing as the camera angles changed. Sometimes the glass was full, other times some was gone. That was cool. Got to love continuity errors like that.

But back to the movie, it provides a good, whole entertaining experience for families getting together in front of the TV. The cast was good for the movie, and the children were actually doing a really good job in their roles. So if you want to entertain your children with a movie, this would be a good choice.

Perfect Movie for Families!

Author: Tepie Meng from United States
18 November 2015

This is probably the most heart-warming movie I have ever seen. The content and storyline were creative yet relateable In a positive way. The author included some advanced scientific innovation but yet keeping everything simple and easy to relate. There was also quite a good sense of humor implied from time to time making the story entertaining. In addition, it is educational at the same time. It has taught me how to appreciate every moment of my life, to learn to see things from different perspectives and understand others, and to know the value of a family. The Opposite day is the type of movie I can't easily grow tired of. I still feel contented every time I rewatch it.

Watch it like a kid, with your kids

Author: rickhodges from United States
30 November 2013

It's a movie for kids, people! Get in the spirit and watch it like a kid would, and have a little fun.

Okay, the plot's kind of confusing aside from the opposite day premise, and the acting is, well, often juvenile, and it's all a lot of silliness, but that's the point. It's like kids wrote and directed it, which is what makes it good in the eyes of a child.

Of course, the message is that being a parent is harder than it seems -- duh, any adult can see that one coming. But most kids won't.

My 7-year-old girl enjoyed it, and it was fun to watch it with her as her parent -- and that's all that matters.

Not awful...but let the kids decide!

Author: jessedepoy from United States
13 February 2013

First off, I'll mention what I said in the message boards. My curiosity when I first heard about this movie was compounded by the lack of availability...and if you have a pass or subscription, such as Blockbuster or Netflix, I would recommend using that for a viewing rather than spending money to purchase it prior to seeing it firsthand.

Now, as to the movie itself: Yes, there are issues with the plot, continuity, and so on, and yes, I also noticed that there may be some creepy incestuous undertones and was laughing when I saw that the other reviewers noticed as well. But, I do think the filmmakers here intended for it to be seen through a child's eyes and hopefully most kids aren't thinking like that if they are in the target audience (probably under 9).

So for me, this was mildly entertaining and it was nice to see Pauly Shore and French Stewart mix things up a bit by acting both mature and immature in the same movie. However, my kids are all under 6 and they seemed to like it quite a bit. So maybe the concept of the movie plays on two levels - the movie itself, and the reception by the viewers. I haven't seen any reviews by the 5-and-under crowd yet, but from the response at home I'd say it was a hit.

I know it may be an odd paradigm of parental philosophy to let your children decide what they do and do not like, but if we don't pay attention to what they think about things, we may be in need of the corny lesson this movie tries to "teach" us anyway.

Opposite Day

Author: cynthia-jimenez1 from United States
7 August 2011

As I watched this movie, questions similar to the comments others have already posted ran through my head. It was odd to see the brother and sister for example, waking up in the same bed (their parents bed) and the parents in the children's' bunk beds. Other than that, I wouldn't take the movie too seriously, after all it was a comedy (somewhat). Pauly Shore didn't behave as ridiculously as he has in other movies, which was good. He didn't over do the acting as I was expecting, and the same for the children. The children did a great job in my point of view. Children do overact, as in the many children shows on t.v. I wondered though, who's voice sang the songs. My grand daughter and I thought maybe it was Celina Gomez? I could not find any information on that. Does anyone know?

Cute movie that lead me thinking about incest?????

Author: danielacadet from United States
27 November 2010

The movie is cute, that's it, cute... but I don't know if my mind is too corrupted by this world or what, but I couldn't pass the thought of incest! When the kids switched with the adults, the parents become the kids and the brother and sister become the mother and father? It was a little disturbing to see how the "now kids" call the brother and sister mom and dad as they take on their new roles as parents. Very very weirs. That made me think, how about if the family only had two brothers? will the adults as kids call them dad and dad? and even more disturbing, how about if the family had a boy and 4 daughters? will they become a polygamist family? I think the director could have avoided this by just having the kids becoming adults, but not necessarily the parents of their parents.