IMDb > Welcome (2007/II) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Welcome More at IMDbPro »

Welcome: See no Evil

Author: mausar from Italy
10 August 2009

This short and entertaining horror movie is a real rare jewel. You should have seen it on YouTube only in September 2007, when it was presented in Reel Moments contest. It's the debut of Kirsten Dunst as director, starring Winona Ryder. This work is not perfect, of course. The film contains some disappointing flaws, due to its short format.

(Spoilers)

Its sudden ending doesn't let us to understand the dynamics of the characters, their psychology and the motivations which let Winona Ryder to change completely her behaviour (I don't want to add spoilers… so I can't explain other details!). But during the movie, you could be attracted by the rare atmosphere created by the dark scenes, the sounds of a semi-empty house (and no music at all), the camera which follows every character from a mysterious point of view. Kirsten Dunst is trying to recreate a suspense in which you see nothing but you fear to see something. And she reaches her scope perfectly, until the end of the short. Contrary to many other horror movies, this one reflects a real optimistic sense of life: respect and friendship are always possible, the unknown must not be feared. In this Dunst's movie, at least, we see no Evil.