IMDb > Eddie the Eagle (2016) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eddie the Eagle

Eddie the Eagle More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Feel-good Biopic

Author: BigGuy from United States
27 January 2016

First of all, I have to say that I'm generally not a fan of biopics, they just aren't the type of movie I seek out. I got tickets to the sneak preview and my wife really wanted to go. Anyway, that preamble out of the way, I really did enjoy the movie.

Eddie the Eagle is a story about an underdog in every sense of the word. One theme that is repeated throughout the movie, is the quote from Pierre de Coubertin (father of the modern Olympics), "The important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win, but to take part; the important thing in Life is not triumph, but the struggle; the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." The story follows Eddie from the time he's a little kid with dreams of going to the Olympics. It follows him through his many assorted set-backs, and all the people around him who saw only failure in his future. It also shows the moments when he got helping hands when he most needed it. This movie is about his struggle.

The casting in the movie was quite good. I remember Eddie the Eagle from TV when I was young, and Taron Egerton does an excellent job in the role of Eddie. Hugh Jackman puts in a good performance as the coach Bronson Peary, and manages not to overpower Eddie's character. But while Taron Egerton really assumes the part of Eddie, a lot of Hugh Jackman leaks into his role as coach Peary.

The roles of Eddie's parents are also well played, and the actress playing his mother, Jo Hartley, gives a particularly poignant portrayal. The father, played by Keith Allen (currently uncredited on IMDb) is a bit of a caricature, but well acted. Actually, a lot of the supporting cast of characters are caricatures, especially the other ski-jumpers/coaches and the British Olympians/Olympic Committee. But to an extent that serves to emphasize the struggle for Eddie. Also, for those intent on seeing this film for Christopher Walked, he has a very small role.

While, I have emphasized the struggle aspect of the story, there is a lot of comedy thrown into the mix as well. The tone is upbeat throughout, even when Eddie has setbacks. While some of the failures are played for laughs (mostly early in the film), it's mostly Eddie's perseverance that makes this film endearing. It also feels like we're laughing with Eddie rather than at him, since it seems Eddie's in on the joke.

If you're on the fence about seeing this movie, I say give it a shot.

Go see it, better than 90 percent of the garbage out there

Author: tony r from United States
17 February 2016

Saw this movie at an advance screening and Eddie the Eagle was awesome.

The movie did not disappoint at all.

Great insight into the story of Eddie Edwards and the sport of ski jumping.

Very dangerous sport but very beautiful to look at.

The movie had a lot of heart and humor.

Will look forward to this movie making its way on Blu-ray.

I would gladly pay to add it to my collection.

Great visuals as well.

I wish the movie gets the praise it deserves as it really is better than a lot of the trash coming thru movie theaters now.

A Great Movie that left my Wife and I satisfied, inspired and smiling

Author: rbeardslee-97817 from United States
11 February 2016

A very funny, enjoyable and inspiring movie for the whole family.

A human interest film that are rare these days with so many movies that rely on bravado and special effects.

Based on a true story, which proves if you have dreams from a young age that persist you should follow them no matter what the odds are against them and ignore all the doubters that tell you you cannot achieve them.

The human spirit and believing in one's self are very powerful forces.

Eddie is a character that you cannot dislike.

Hugh Jackman's character helps Eddie achieve his dream since Eddie would not be deterred.

Eddie unknowingly helps Hugh Jackman's character out of his funk and he is re-born again.

We highly recommend this film.

Must See feel good Movie

Author: homer-45872 from Monroe, Michigan
12 February 2016

With a nice touch of humor you cannot come away from this movie without feeling a sense of accomplishment regardless of the actual outcome. The movie inspires you to reflect on any challenge we may have faced on our own lives and inspires us to actually rethink how we may have handled it or behaved differently. Taron Edgerton played a very believable character giving the audience a real sense at who Eddie Edwards really was and how he lived his youth through perseverance and fortitude by simply not giving up. The film cleverly portrays this very quickly through a brief introduction into Eddies childhood. The story is written well and the story really gives us a sense of who Eddie is and the drive to fulfill a promise to himself. Hugh Jackman brings a humorous side to the film with just enough serious touch that you do not loose sight of the significant effort that was made by Eddie Edwards. I was glad to be invited to a early preview and hope that all who see this film enjoy it as much as I did.

Not an Oscar Winner - But a Satisfying Film

Author: joshh83-283-171837 from United States
27 February 2016

Some films are merely created for entertainment and to tell a story. This is one of those films that you're not going to hear about during award season but it was certainly satisfying and worth the time.

Egerton was a perfect choice to play Eddie, from his off beat humor to his on spot facial expressions, and Hugh Jackman is a great compliment as the supporting role. Both characters are total opposites, each flawed in their own way, but really mesh together on screen.

The movie is fun and the story, based on the Eddie the Eagles dream of going to the Olympics, was nicely told with clean comedy paced throughout.

Not knowing the outcome of the true story, I was on edge rooting for Eddie throughout - just like the crowds in the stands on film.

Really glad they made this film, it's such a fun story and Eddie The Eagle is so deserving for a film that honors his hard work dedicated to his Olympic dream.

Have fun with this one!

Exactly as expected

Author: Sachet Patil
27 January 2016

The film makers themselves warn you with the movie being publicized as a feel-good, underdog tale that provides family entertainment. And that is EXACTLY what this movie is!!! And even though the movie does not bring in anything new or more than what was expected from it, it is definitely a good watch.

The characters are extremely likable and the movie will have you rooting for 'Eddie' in no time.

From what I have read, the movie was not shot in Canada and is very loosely based on the actual life of the real Eddie the Eagle, so people from Calgary and people who actually know a lot about the real Eddie might be slightly disappointed.

Feel good and let the tears of happiness flow!

Author: nrau from United States
14 February 2016

My husband and I saw this in a free screening prior to it opening for regular audiences, and I even wondered if I loved it so much because it was free, but I think I would have liked it just as much had I paid to see it! I do think that the movie benefits from being shown on a big wide screen with all the outdoor scenes - not sure I would have liked it so much had I seen it on a TV size screen. I felt all the characters were perfectly cast. While it may seem like a nit, the only annoying factor to me was that Eddie's glasses were falling down his nose the whole time - and while I know that was part of the character, it drove me crazy watching him!! However, the movie kept my interest the entire time, and was extremely enjoyable. By the end, I had tears of happiness streaming down my face - definitely one of the best feel-good movies I have seen in a long time!! HIGHLY recommend!!

Taron continues to impress as 'Eggsy' (sic) the Eagle

Author: bob-the-movie-man from United Kingdom
29 March 2016

The British love a plucky loser. "Eddie the Eagle" tells the astonishing but true story of everyman plasterer Eddie Edwards who qualified for, and then competed in, the Calgary Olympics in 1988 (probably most famous for those other plucky losers – the Jamaican bobsleigh team of Disney's "Cool Runnings" fame). I have absolutely no idea how the traditionally more success-driven and competitive American audience will see it, but the packed English showing I attended all clearly loved this film as a feel-good classic.

The film starts with Eddie's childhood, struggling out of leg braces to try to pursue his Olympic dream with no success whatsoever. (Excellent performances here by brothers Tom and Jack Costello who set-up the tone for the film). His battle is not just against his lack of skill: whilst his mother (Jo Hartley) is quietly supportive, his father Terry (Keith Allen) is – not unreasonably it must be said – hugely frustrated at his son's fanciful ideas, wanting him to follow in the family plastering tradition with the same zeal. (The gulf in ambition is vast – Eddie: "Didn't you have a dream when you were younger Dad?"; Terry: "Yes, plastering".)

Eventually Eddie finds a sport he is half decent in (by British standards!): downhill skiing, but is thwarted in following his Olympic dreams by smarmy and sneering Olympic selector Dustin Target, played by Tim McInnerny (from "Black Adder" and "Notting Hill"… someone who has rather cornered the market on 'smarmy and sneering'). It is then that he exploits ancient rules in the UK Olympic playbook to try to qualify in the discipline of ski-jumping: something no one has done since the 1920's. Linking up in Austria with an alcohol-infused coach and ex- jumper Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman), Eddie faces the terrors of the 40m and then 70m jumps to try to learn the sport (16 years too late).

This film has been long in gestation, with both Steve Coogan and Rupert Grint originally earmarked for the role. But Matthew Vaughn's involvement in the current project probably contributed to Taron Egerton getting the job following their work together on last year's "Kingsman". And a great choice he is too. Almost unrecognizable from the sharp- suited Eggsy in "Kingsman" and gangster-sidekick Teddy in "Legend", Egerton switches effortlessly between clueless goofball and steely determined sportsman.

The film's emotional heart though is with Hugh Jackman's side-story, battling with drink after throwing his own chance away with US-coach Warren Sharp (a nice cameo by Christopher Walken). Although going a little OTT at times (we see for example that he is no Meg Ryan!), Jackman provides a solid acting foundation that the rest of the cast can play off.

Rounding out the cast are solid performances from Jo Hartley ("This is England") as Eddie's Mum, Mark Benton ("Waterloo Road") as a BOA official, Rune Temte as a bear of a Norwegian coach and the ever-warming Jim Broadbent as a BBC commentator.

An 'attaboy' should also go to the special effects crew headed up by Marty McLaughlin for making believe a man can fly. Whilst – you understand – not in any way doubting Jackman's ability to risk his pretty face on a 90m jump, the nighttime sequence of him doing that jump is really nicely executed (with cinematography by George Richmond).

A quick browse at Wikipedia will make it clear that there has been a lot of license taken with this as a "true story", and to be fair the prefix "based on a.." was used! And the film is not without irritations: Terry's negativity to his son's actions is about 25% overplayed in Simon Kelton's story, and the coach/protégé sub-plot has been overused in the past. The soundtrack (music) by Matthew Margeson is also rather grating particularly early on in the film: it is presumably going for 'period' in its use of Hammond organ cheesiness, but that music was tiresome in the 80's too! Fortunately Margeson redeems himself with some kick-ass (no pun intended) classic 80's tracks neatly edited into the action.

These criticisms aside, I dare you to come out of this film without a silly grin on your face. I certainly did. Directed by Dexter Fletcher ("Sunshine on Leith") it's not likely to win any Oscars, but in setting out to deliver what it said on the can it succeeded in all respects.

(Please visit bob-the-movie-man.com to see the graphical version of this review. You can also subscribe there for future reviews. Thanks.)

Important Thing is Not to Win, But to Take Part

Author: Thomas Drufke
3 February 2016

Everyone loves a good underdog story, and sports films have always been a good avenue for those stories to thrive. I know a lot of people like to complain sometimes about 'biopics' and how they should be as close to the source material as possible, but I look at it a different way. I go to the movies for an experience. Whether that be to laugh, cry, smile, or whatever, I go for the experience. If a film would be better off taking plenty of liberties, I'm all for it. Eddie the Eagle definitely took that philosophy, and for the most part, it really worked.

First of all, I have to give a shout out to Elk Grove Cinema (not that they would actually be reading this) for inviting me to a preview screening of the film a few weeks before its wide release. Of course I jumped at the opportunity considering Hugh Jackman and the up and comer Taron Egerton were starring in a sports film, especially a seemingly uplifting one at that. The film absolutely did not disappoint. Similar to last week's Finest Hours, I went in with mediocre expectations, and came out very pleasantly satisfied with what I got. It's a feel good story that I think everyone can get behind. Eddie dreamed his entire life of competing in the Olympics and was told that he would never make it, naturally that's someone we would root for.

The good thing is that Egerton does more than just portray a sympathetic character. He transforms into Eddie the Eagle. I didn't know much about him before the film but it seems like he really pulled off Edwards' emotions and body language to a T. Jackman is also very good as the clichéd drunk washed up trainer that takes Eddie from being a wannabe to an Olympic athlete. I think that's what a lot of people will come out of the film saying, it's so clichéd. To an extent, they're not wrong. Each and every character is the prototype of what you would expect them to be, whether they are supporting Eddie or entirely against him. But I also don't think it was always a detriment to the film. Sometimes the clichés worked.

As I said, the film is incredible satisfying. It's one of the best examples of a pure crowd-pleaser. There's not much to dislike about the film. I absolutely loved the music choices including the score and some timely 80's song choices. Sure, I think the stakes could have been raised a bit here or there to give an even bigger emotional moment, but I can't say the film didn't already bring me to teary eyes at some points. And that to me, is an experience at the movies.

+Emotionally satisfying

7.5/10

"Eddie the Eagle" soars!

Author: Dave McClain (dave-mcclain@hotmail.com) from United States
21 February 2016

We all have a dream… or have had a dream at some point, at least. You may not have achieved your dream (yet), but I'm sure you remember what it is, even if you're not currently pursuing it. You may have been stopped or been hindered from seeing your dream come true because people told you it wasn't realistic or refused to support you when you needed them to (or both). Or maybe you chose to give up on that dream because you decided yourself that it wasn't practical or because you came to believe that you were too old, too busy, too poor, too… "whatever" to dream anymore. If any of this sounds familiar, then "Eddie the Eagle" (PG-13, 1:45) just might be your kind of movie. (And if ALL of this sounds familiar, you need to drop everything and go see this movie immediately – before it's too late!) The movie poster says "Inspired by a Dream Come True". That's appropriate (even if it's also a bit of a spoiler). In other words, this film is indeed inspired by a true story, but it's a highly fictionalized account of what really happened. There really is an Eddie Edwards who was nicknamed "The Eagle" and became Britain's only ski jumper in order to realize his childhood dreams of Olympic glory at the 1988 winter games in Calgary. Except for a few more details, that's about where the similarities between the film and reality end. Personally, I think the omitted details of Edwards' story are even more interesting than what appears on screen, but maybe they were left out to simplify the movie or make it even more of a crowd-pleaser. If that was the goal, mission accomplished! The filmmakers did, however, cast an actor who could act and be made to look like the real Edwards, right down to his gestures. It is impressive.

Since childhood, Eddie Edwards (Taron Egerton) had Olympic dreams, even though he was pudgy, had no discernible athletic talent and even wore a knee brace for years. But he kept his dream alive. Eddie tried his hand at a number of different Olympic events, unable to find the right one for him. But he kept trying. Many different people, including Eddie's own father, criticized and even mocked his dreams. But he just ignored them. Eddie decided on ski jumping even though he didn't know anything about it and was told repeatedly that, even in his early 20s, he was way too old to learn it and get good at it. But he still gave it his best shot. There were even multiple predictions of Eddie's failure, injury or even death if he pushed forward. But he refused to let fear or uncertainty stop him. At one point, Eddie proclaims, "I taking jumping very seriously. I love it. Nearly as much as I love proving people wrong." That he does.

Eddie didn't even have a coach. That is, until he suddenly left the home of his frustrated father and supportive mother (Jo Hartley), traveled to a ski jumping facility in Germany and met one of the employees, Bronson Peary (Hugh Jackman). Bronson is a former Olympic ski jumper who let his bad attitude derail his jumping career. He squandered his potential, ending up working as a maintenance man and drowning his sorrows in alcohol. As Eddie does small jumps and tries to learn how to jump by trial and error, Bronson repeatedly tells him to quit. Eventually, Bronson agrees to teach Eddie a few things, if for no other reason, to keep Eddie from killing himself as he trains. And if Eddie manages to overcome his alcoholic coach's gruffness – and his own lack of experience (talent) as a jumper, he still must get past the British Olympic Committee whose leader (Tim McInnerny) is intent on stopping Eddie.

"Eddie the Eagle" soars! Egerton is powerful, fun and funny in what is best described as a transformative performance, to be appreciated even more by those who saw him as a street-punk-turned-suave-secret-agent in 2015's "Kingman: The Secret Service". 2016 just serves to confirm Egerton as one of the finest young acting talents working today. Here, he makes a wonderful and endearing underdog. This film's story arc recalls another inspiring (basically) true sports story – 1993's "Rudy". Like many such movies, "Eddie" is guilty of being formulaic (right down to Jackman's charming, but now familiar portrayal of an underdog's main supporter) and I wish this film had stuck a little closer to the actual story, but these issues do little to harm the movie's emotional power and the sheer enjoyment of being in the audience.

Regardless of how successful Eddie is (or isn't) in the end, you'll want to stand up and shout, "Do you believe in miracles? YES!!" Hmmm. Sorry. Wrong Winter Olympics movie, but you get the point. "Eddie the Eagle" IS the feel-good movie of the year! If you have (or ever had) a dream, you're likely to enjoy this film… and it may even inspire you to dream about things you never thought possible. Isn't all that what movies are for? Everyone reading this review is witnessing the beginning of me realizing my dreams. This film reminded me of the rewards of determination and the joys of overcoming obstacles and accomplishing goals. I believe it will do the same for you – and entertain you in the process. "A-"

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]