IMDb > A Princess for Christmas (2011) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Princess for Christmas (TV) More at IMDbPro »

A Modern Day Fairy Tale

Author: Phoebe Edna Beau
20 November 2011

A romantic, modern day fairy tale that is perfect for all the family, but especially for young girls and their Mothers, Grandmothers and their Granddaughters, Aunts & nieces, etc.

Boys, be warned, this may all be a tad emotionally mushy for your taste, but who knows, you may learn some wonderful manners during the process of watching it. Every little girl (and we are all little girls at heart), dreams of being treated like a princess, whether they like to admit it or not.

The beautiful Katie McGrath plays the lead female role and I felt at times, she gave a rather wooden performance that actually enhanced her displays of awkwardness in an unfamiliar situation and so rather than distance the viewer, it actually made her character more endearing to them.

It was wonderful to see Sir Roger Moore acting again, in his typical, suave male role.

A wonderful Christmas Fairy Story.

Great family fun

Author: cyberpretender from Canada
4 December 2011

Usually I watch romantic Christmas movies with trepidation, as there have only been a few that have been good, but this movie was definitely one of those that I have kept in my collection. It was a wonderful Christmas movie. I have only seen Katie McGrath on Merlin as the evil Morgana, but she acted very well in this movie, and you empathize and can't help rooting for her. And of course Sam Heughan was dashing as the prince. The only person who I thought they should have replaced was the actor who played Milo, he's acting was a little wooden. But other, than that, the actors were great, and the plot was smooth. Of course you knew how the movie was going to end, but that's with any romantic movie. And there were times, when I was hoping the movie would not end, it was just that good. Great family movie!!!

A Christmas Fairy Tale - no less..

Author: lucyinthestars from United Kingdom
22 December 2011

When you imagined the castle of cinderlla - it may have looked like this one. When you imagined how nice Prince Charming may be - it might have been just like this one.

Its a fairy tale - are fairy tales ever meant to be realistic? Of course not!

My family did not like the movie because they believed it to be poor acting but good looking performers and a unimaginative plot.

I loved it because it was heart warming. It is not a thought provoking movie. Its lovely. That's all it is.

Merry Christmas!

Absolutely brilliant - WATCH IT!!!

Author: andreas_pitters
14 January 2012

Even though i am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to romance movies, this one was amazing. It gave me goose bumps on every sequence and i would definitely recommend it if it were to watch it with family, loved ones or just by oneself! It has greatly rounded characters, great storyline and brilliantly built emotional charge - it makes it the perfect movie; i would easily give it 20 out of ten, because I am not into genres like this one and it definitely surpassed my previous beliefs; it deserves much, much more than the IMDb rating and even though it has "Christmas" as part of the headline, it is much more than a Christmas story, it is a love story, built with courage, grace and over-passing of obstacles and difficulties - WATCH IT!!!

No Idea Why I Watched This

Author: Zoooma from Oakland, New Jersey
28 January 2014

Chick flick. Only moderately Christmasy. Filmed in Romania! The castle they use is gorgeous! Stars someone apparently from the Merlin TV series named Katie McGrath. Plays a girl from Buffalo, New York and gives a pretty decent American accent. More interesting to me is a supporting role by the 82 year old Sir Roger Moore. It was his first time in front of the camera in 9 years! I've been watching all the James Bond films recently and I am currently in the Roger Moore years. Saw one about a week ago and about to see another... so it's kinda weird to see him so much older. He looks kinda frail. 007 he isn't anymore. Well, at least he's acting which is more than can be said about Sir Connery.

In any case, this is not so much a kid's movie but a young female's movie, or for any woman who has dreamed of one day being a princess. The princess story isn't huge in this as it's about Christmas at Canturbury Hall, which is an alternate title for this in Europe. Oh, and not that it matters so much but it was directed by Michael Damian who had a hit song in the 80's called "Rock On" which was the main song in the Corey Feldman/Cory Haim flick "Dream A Little Dream."

Considering so many "Christmas movies" nowadays are just an everyday story set at Christmastime, this one is actually acceptable as a Christmas movie.

--A Kat Pirate Screener

Loved it

Author: Jules Pav from London, England
23 November 2012

I loved this movie. It's a lovely story/film. One of my favourite Christmas movies this year, I can't count how many times I've watched it, and I still can't find fault. I'm not bored with it either, which is unusual for me with movies these days.

Take it for what it is, a traditional Christmas fairytale and don't look for/expect anything else, and you'll get everything you want from it. Personally I think too many critics don't know what 'artistic license' is and feel the need to spoil everyone else's enjoyment of a movie making a deal of it.

Get over it, and keep it to yourself!

Why do I do this to myself and why do I like it?

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
18 December 2013

Every Christmas I submerge myself into as many Christmas movies as I can pack in. Last year I stumbled onto the horrors of ABC Family's Christmas movies and I was hooked. Every cheesy moment, every old teen star, the insanely cute and sweet movies that won me over. On Netflix I stumbled across this little gem (which I don't believe is ABC Family) but it might as well be. It looked like the perfect cheesy sweet Christmas movie so off I went. I kept thinking how truly awful the acting was (and I still stand by that), the movie is sugary sweet, barely slapped together, and yet somehow still manages to make you smile at least twice and end up not being all that bad. It isn't good...don't get me wrong. I wouldn't even say it was remotely as good as half the stuff on ABC Family for Christmas but I'll be darned if it hit the spot for cutesy Christmas fluff. I was actually surprised at how many IMDb reviewers really enjoyed it and also knew of the story beforehand. Apparently there is potentially even a sequel in the works? I imagine the demographic for the film is young girls and it is appropriate enough for them or for the whole family. Its cute and fun and as long as you go in with the proper expectations you can't help but enjoy it in all its campy glory.

The film will unfortunately do nothing for this cast's career. There isn't one performance I can say was truly good. Watching Katie McGrath act in this is almost excruciating. If the film wasn't so sugary sweet she would be atrocious but instead somehow you warm up to her and she is so naive looking that her bad acting works for this for some reason. I do enjoy that they went out of their way to find a famous face and icon to play the grandfather and that is Roger Moore. Moore does a solid job, probably ironically the least campy of the cast. His character could be interesting in a sort of Captain VonTrapp sort of way. He is emotionally distraught over the loss of his son, he is an aristocrat who looks down on people, and he survived a near death experience himself so he has a lot of growing and learning to do and its cute and they sort of rush the whole process but he does very well. Sam Heughan is our Prince and the object of McGrath's affections. He is decent but way underplayed considering he is the romantic lead. He stands there, smiles, has a few decent lines but nothing that stands out. The chemistry between them is decent (thank goodness) but he should have had more character given to him. The two children are played by Travis Turner and Leilah de Meza. Turner seems so awkward in the role. I'm certainly not meaning to be cruel to this young actor but he looks funny, talks funny and over plays certain scenes. He did an okay job but he didn't seem to fit the part somehow. de Meza though was excellent for a young actress with a fairly small part. She will literally melt your heart with her few lines and she is appropriately adorable...if that's a talent than she has it nailed. Charlotte Salt is completely underused and misused as a potential villain. I felt like she had ten minutes of screen time and a Disney film would have made her the "mean girl" and made it memorable!!

The movie is cute. It also wasn't made for my demographic so I'm being harsher on it than I should. Kids and family will likely enjoy it. It had some good physical comedy (which I am a huge fan of), a sweet romance and it did try its best to centre itself around Christmas though I felt like that was forced in a lot of ways. Director Michael Damian comes from Television and from a Soap in particular so it kind of shows in the melodramatic style of this little Christmas special. It certainly isn't anything that would become a permanent staple in my Holiday viewing but it was cute. 6/10

A lovely film

Author: tdcheck from United Kingdom
24 July 2013

Watched this having heard that Sam Heughan had been picked to play Jamie Fraser. Spurred on by the fact Katie McGrath was also in this (loved her in Merlin!) Really enjoyed this easy to watch Christmas film, Sam was definitely the best thing in it! Although the children put in good performances too. I won't go into the story too much, but one of my favourite scenes has to be the dance lesson and their initial first meeting. My only down point (and the reason I gave 9 instead of 10) was Katies's accent which did waiver a little through out the film. Should have just stayed with her natural accent. My 5 year old also sat with me and also enjoyed it, and wanted to marry the prince at the end of the film :-)

Best Christmas romance movie of all time!

Author: Vladimir Morales Sánchez from Mexico
20 July 2012

I just watched this movie and I was deeply impressed by the story and the actors. The movie basically brings out the best in people and renews the belief in Christmas, family love and happy endings.

The story is simple yet elegant. After playing the evil Morgana in Merlin, Katie McGrath plays Jules Daly, an American heroine who wants to spend a good Christmas with her nephew and niece. She is receives a visit from Paisley Winterbottom, a butler working for the kids' grandfather, invites them all to celebrate Christmas with their grandfather at England. There, Jules falls in love with Prince Ashton, and the two prepare to celebrate Christmas in the best way possible.

It may seem cliché and a Cinderella ripoff, but believe, the movie is awesome. It's not perfect, it can be predictable sometimes, but the movie accomplishes its job at helping people believe in the virtues of Christmas.

I highly recommend this movie. That's it, good watching!

A Lovable Tale Infused with Christmas Magic

Author: lakshanyalikitha
24 December 2012

This is a modern day fairy tale with no fresh spin whatsoever in the story line yet it was a truly enjoyable watch. I watched it on a lonely Christmas day spent away from family and friends, and " A princess for Christmas" somehow managed to get me into the Christmas spirit albeit only for an hour and a half. I watched this movie with no great expectations and at the end of the day it turned out to be a pleasant watch after all. So, if you are willing to disregard all the parameters that you might have in regard to this film, you might turn out to enjoy this light-hearted, holiday spirited movie. After all, who wouldn't want their happily ever after to become a reality right? Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!