IMDb > Couples Retreat (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Couples Defeat

Author: ArthurMausser from United States
22 October 2009

This is not a comedy. This is not a drama. This is a dramatic tragedy! Jon Favreau needs to move up a level and start producing movies using the scripts of the next generation of comedic writers who are just waiting to get their material on the big screen.

Vince Vaughn could still act in these new movies, but he would have to learn a new Shtick and drop his predictable, no longer funny, Wedding Crasher type character.

The movie itself has bursts of humor but are minimal when sitting through this debacle. The movie is set up to be funny but the characters just don't work well together and the comedy falls with it.

All you teenagers out there, take your date to this one, your partner won't mind doing other things during this mess.

Sorry Favreau, I have a script you can use if you would like to see it.

LOL

A fairly average comedy

Author: lakshmi kanth vizzu from India
23 May 2011

Once take a look at the cast , Vince Vaughn, Jason Bateman, Jon Favreau, Faizon Love, Kristen Bell, Malin Åkerman, Kristin Davis, and Kali Hawk .Directed by: Peter Billingsley. the cast is talented and proved themselves from years

First of all , the cast is good,the great tropical setting , the basic plot is good enough to be a successful movie , well also they got the budget needed for their movie..

But what goes wrong? Here is the answer ..The script, The director who gave up the movie ,The Execution ,Editing,screenplay ,finally a plot with full of plot holes..

I know what is romantic comedy , but this isn't that , it is dumb comedy with some romantic scenes..

Even with lot of negative points , the movie runtime is up to 113 minutes,Editor Dan Lebental(known for Iron man) must be blamed for this..

The script is very dumb , and loses its pace everywhere.I could have written a better script than what was used here

The best part of the movie is first 20 minutes of the movie and the climax. The one thing this film has going for itself is the spectacular scenery

Conclusion : watch the trailer instead , it is better than the movie.

Review : Nothing more than a couple of laughs and a beautiful settings

My Rating :5/10

Well-cast, and I'm pretty sure it's well-intentioned, but only mildly amusing.

Author: Theothervip from Philippines
23 April 2011

Rating: ** out of 4.

COUPLES RETREAT is like a small get-together where married guys in their forties having a small pick me up. I'm pretty sure the film has no other intention but to get together for a movie and do what they would normally do, but I don't think good intentions are good enough to make a good movie.

OK, based on the reviews the movie got upon release, COUPLES RETREAT ain't as horrible as everyone else says. It's watchable, and the stars do what they do and they seem to enjoy it. Plus, the scenery's not bad eye candy. But if you're looking for anything special or even a simple formula comedy done right and hits the right marks, then it's a total letdown. COUPLES RETREAT tries to do a movie that isn't to much slapstick and I respect that (it really could have been worse), but there's just not much effort here. It's going through the motions and not much is happening.

The story follows a group of tightly-knit couples who decide that the only way they got really get close as couples is to attend a couple's therapy session on beautiful Bora-Bora. Actually, only the married couple of Jason and Cynthia (Jason Bateman and Kristen Bell) are supposed to attend, but since a packaged rate would be more affordable, the others decide to tag along and eventually forced to attend the same seminar since participation is not optional. So there are a couple of gags where the couples have a fit at it each other and other parts where their councilor named Marcel (Jean Reno, in another waste of his talents) making them do goofy things while being himself a bit goofy. Well, it's not much fun.

The cast here, including Vince Vaughn, Malin Ackerman, Bateman, Bell, Jon Favreau, Kristin Davis, and Faizon Love try hard, but they're having much more fun than we do. The location is the real star here as Bora- Bora is just simply eye-catching and impossible to look away from. But the movie is still so-so and I guess reading the brochure for this resort will be much more interesting than this movie.

Overall, not terrible but there are better times spent on a tropical island resort with beautiful people in them. A lot!

it's supposed to be a comedy...

Author: J_Charles from over there
9 December 2010

I missed the first 30 minute so perhaps I lost something there - some genius bit of exposition, some wonderful character development, that would have made the rest of the movie enjoyable. But coming in as I did - it didn't seem too hard to follow. Years of watching sitcoms on TV made me familiar with the same old usual formula being employed here.

4 couples go to a Couples Retreat. Only one of them is obviously malfunctioning - the rest of them have their dysfunction simmering beneath the surface. But they join the one couple that wants to do this in hopes of getting a wonderful vacation. During the course of all the inane therapy sessions, all the couples experience crises of various shapes and sizes and of course, at the end - alls well that ends well.

The funny parts are far and few in between. The gags seem to run on just a bit too long. The funniest bit is probably the yoga instructor who's positioning always seem to involve genital to genital contact - for men on women or men on men. That was funny but went on far too long.

Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn seem to dominate the screen at times, babbling on and on, hoping to find a funny joke in all that verbage. It worked for Vaughn in Wedding Crashers but he's quickly lost steam since that movie. Favreau just seems to be in love with the camera - mugging for all he's worth. The other two male costars barely make a dent.

The highlights for me would be watching the gorgeous wives and girlfriends prancing around in their bikinis doing various things. Kristen Bell's impromptu nighttime swim in bra and panties was the highlight for me.

4/10 for the movie. Kristen Bell's a solid 9

Another movie that doesn't live up to its cast.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
17 September 2010

"Be an ass for your marriage. Be an ass for your children. Be an ass for love."

Couples Retreat should have been way more entertaining than it was. The story premise should have provided plenty of opportunities for laughs. The majority of the movie was filmed in Bora Bora, which is as close to heaven as you'll find on this earth, The cast has proved in other movies that they can be extremely funny, and the gorgeous actresses are in their bikinis more often than not. Despite all these obvious advantages, Couples Retreat ended up being a bland and unimpressive comedy.

The main problem was the script, which was very weak. Lots of the jokes fall flat, and the characters weren't well-written at all. It's a shame that these actors were wasted this way, because I'm convinced that with a better script, they all could have shined. Vince Vaughn, Faizon Love, and Carlos Ponce (in a small but hilarious role) are really the only three actors that get any laughs, but they seem to do it in spite of the script, instead of because of it.

If you want to see a funny relationship comedy that's set in a spectacularly beautiful place, I strongly recommend that you check out the far superior Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It's much funnier, and you'll still get to see Kristen Bell in a bikini. Win-win.

Poorly Written...

Author: nama chakravorty from India
9 February 2010

Peter Billingsley's 'Couples Retreat' is a poorly written & executed film. Writers Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn & Dana Fox must have been on drugs or high-to write such work. The film doesn't work! Based on 4 couples, who go-for a therapy holiday & finally bond.

There's Vince Vaughn & the gorgeous Malin Akerman, Jason Bateman & Kristen Bell & two more. The film starts off very well, but becomes a bore as soon as these characters go for a holiday. The film's climax is so so predictable that you can easily shut or walk out of the film & let your friend enjoy. It's a poor show all the way!

Coming to acting, Vince Vaughan is the only one who stands out with a good performance. Jon Favreau tries really hard, but falls flat. Jason Bateman is okay, so is the fat guy. Malin Akerman, Kristen Bell & Kristin Davis have nothing to do. A supremely talented actor like Jean Reno is terribly wasted. What a waste of great talent!!

Nothing else to write about this misadventure... Thumbs Down!

Vince Vaughn - the only saving grace

Author: davet2464 from United Kingdom
22 November 2009

Was dragged to see this by my girlfriend, admittedly, I wasn't THAT reluctant, because I am a huge fan of Vince Vaughn and the trailers for this looked pretty good.

But - oh dear - I'm afraid this is one of those films that shows every single good gag in the trailer, and leaves the rest of the film completely boring! The beginning of the film was rushed and the writers used a pitiful excuse to actually get all the characters to 'paradise.' Once there, the antics are predictable and the gags set up well in advance. For a big budget movie, the 'shark' effects were appalling and you get the distinct feeling that much of the film was left on the cutting room floor, as scenes jump around and never actually seem to finish. Thank god Vaughn was on fantastic form, as there's nothing much else worth seeing in this movie.

awful comedy.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
11 June 2011

Their relationship in danger of dissipating, a couple racing to salvage their marriage invites three other couples to join them at a tropical island resort. Upon arriving at the island paradise to enjoy some carefree fun in the sun, the other couples are disturbed to discover that participation in therapy sessions is mandatory if they hope to remain at the resort. Peter Bilingsley directs a comedy penned by Jon Favreau, produced by Vince Vaughn, and pairing the two Made collaborators on screen with co-stars Jason Batemanand Faizon Love.

oh man i don't even wan't to talk much about it. this was one of the most awful comedy i have ever seen. not even a comedy at all. a bizarre frustrating movie. awful, bad, dull, empty boring.

Waste of Film

Author: perry-winkle656 from Canada
3 June 2011

OK, this probably isn't the worst movie I never got through, but right now I can't think of anything that could compare with this or even come close to being as bad...Oh, and like I mentioned above, no, I never even got through the whole movie before I had to shut it off and run for the bathroom. We won't say more about that! I guess I should be thankful that I never actually paid to see this. I can't imagine why anyone would. And, if they did, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be demanding a refund after the first 20 minutes or just as soon as they finished their popcorn. I didn't like anything about it. It's Not funny, it's Not entertaining, it's just............well, like I said in the title, a Waste of Film.

Simply horrible

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
5 March 2010

Couples Retreat is a horrible comedy, but its cast includes some solid comedians who provoke a few smiles due to their natural talent.But the rest of the movie is constituted by prefabricated situations, artificial emotions and the typical modern humor, which combines the clichés from uncountable sitcoms with a bit of bad taste in order to pretend "sophistication".

Couples Retreat works much better as a touristic pamphlet of Bora Bora than as a comedy.The humor lacks of the enough audacity and ingenuity for it to really work; what is more, it is excessively obvious, predictable and lacking of soul.The characters are absolutely generic: the men are immature idiots; the women are weak and indulgent; and the supporting characters are unidimensional constructions.

As for the cast, Vince Vaughn, Jon Favreau and Jason Bateman made me to have the few smiles I mentioned on the first paragraph.Jean Reno, Peter Serafinowicz and Temuera Morrison are totally wasted.They are competent actors, but this movie wastes them as ridiculous jesters who only provoke irritation.And the female main cast is only used to show them using bikins, and occasionally contributing a sensible and conciliator comment.

I cannot recommend Couples Retreat, mainly because it is a comedy which did not make me laugh.And on a movie from this genre, that is an epic fail for me.

Page 11 of 14: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]