IMDb > I Am Omega (2007) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
I Am Omega

I Am Omega (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Dacascos is Charlton Heston is Will Smith...

Author: sexytail from Olympia, WA
14 November 2007

Behold the inevitable straight to video incarnation of Matheson's now thrice adapted "I Am Legend" which effectively combines the titles of the two latest ("Omega Man" and "I Am Legend") into one that will fool the unsuspecting movie renter/buyer. As with most knock-offs available from The Asylum, the much labored over box art promises a far more interesting and far more expensive film (it may be a tragedy that these are some of the last examples of good movie-related graphics). But since this is from The Asylum I'll assume you all also know what sort of inexpensive film to expect.

Trashing the straight-to-DVD industry aside, it is hardly the worst movie of its kind (that honor belongs to "Forsaken" with turns the story into a vampire road movie). "I Am Omega" has pretty good location use and competent production value. The editing is fairly stellar and the zombies weren't that laughable (although they were no substitute for the cloaked mutants of "The Omega Man"). And mercifully there are no bad video after effects like a lot of these low budget movies do.

The main problem is the slowness. The flashbacks in this version of the story (which cause the first 30 minutes to drag badly) choose to explain Dacascos' character as a tortured soul rather than unfold the explanations for the world being near over. The decision to use mindless zombies rather than intelligent mutants makes the action a little repetitive and doesn't actually help much with the horror. Red necks and the token female are added to give our heroes someone else to deal with. Director Furst and writer Meed add an explosion count down to move things along as well.

It won't hurt you too much if you keep your expectations low. If you're new to The Asylum, this is perhaps one of the better examples you'll find.

I Am Omega (2007) **1/2

Author: JoeKarlosi from U.S.A.
18 February 2008

I'd heard about this one, another apocalyptic combo takeoff on I AM LEGEND and THE OMEGA MAN, that was independently produced on a low budget and released direct to DVD on the Asylum label. It's about a man who is one of the few survivors on Earth after some sort of catastrophe (it's never made clear) has turned people into grotesque and marauding zombies. He meets up with a couple of other guys who need his aid in reaching one known female survivor somewhere who may have the cure within her own blood.

There is nothing that's new or unique here, but it functions very much like a "LAST MAN ON EARTH meets DAWN OF THE DEAD", and is more of a zombie film than anything else. On that level I think it succeeds pretty well in spite of the lack of funds... the ghoul makeup and special effects are actually quite good, and there is a decent amount of one-on-one threat and action with the creatures (who are played by real people). In fact, while watching this I thought to myself how much better this aspect of the movie played out than ANY of the silly and needlessly cartoon-like "dwellers" of Will Smith's mega-budgeted I AM LEGEND (which wasn't released until after this, also in 2007) ! Sometimes less is more in this regard, and a tiny budget requires more realism. Sure, there are many curious mistakes (how do computers still work, and why are there lights everywhere at night, for instance?) but I got the impression that hearts were in the right place and the filmmakers did the best with what they had. **1/2 out of ****

In the garden of eden...

Author: Frank Markland from United States
20 February 2008

Mark Dacascos stars a lone soldier looking to blow up the city to destroy zombies that are overtaking the world, seems that you can be effected by their blood, but through kickboxing and gunfire Dacascos saves the day and perhaps the last woman on earth. Here's the deal I Am Omega is better than average for an asylum released product. Indeed the thing that is strange about Asylum films is that where as people liked Cannon and Full Moon, this group is universally hated and though their movies sell well the public opinion is of disgust and dislike. I Am Omega actually isn't too awful of a movie. I mean it's still a bad movie but it does have it's moments of goofy fun and with the reuniting cast of Kickboxer 5's Geoff Meed and Mark Dacascos the movie is watchable for fans of Dacascos. I think the main problem with this movie is that we know so little about how the apocalypse came and many loose ends are left at the end. That being said some of the action is okay and the movie's fast pace made it watchable. As for Asylum, I understand why people dislike their films, Transmorphers, Snakes On A Train and so on were all really awful films but I give credit to this one, in that I think fans of Dacascos will enjoy this movie. The bad acting (from everyone but Dacascos), the cheap production values and underwritten script detract the casual viewer but like I said fans of B.movies may find some enjoyment in this.

* * out of 4-(Fair)

For an Asylum Film, not bad...

Author: JoeB131 from United States
14 December 2007

okay, I am only given this a four because I also watched "Undead or Alive", a truly repulsive "zombie comedy" starring the unfunny Chris Kataan. So this little Asylum stink bomb actually took on a new luster after watching that abomination.

If you've seen the Omega Man or Last Man on Earth, you'll understand the plot. The majority of the human race has been wiped out by a plague that turns people into flesh-eating zombies. A single survivor lives in a fortress home and fights off nightly attacks by Zombies. During the day, he is planting bombs with the intent of blowing up an entire city. (It is never clear why he wants to do this, other than killing off all the Zombies.)

He gets a call from a woman trapped in the city. Yes, humanity has fallen, but the internet still works. She is the only person immune to the plague, and maybe they can make a vaccine from her blood. He meets up with two survivalist types who help him rescue her, but they intend to kill the girl so that a world where survivalists aren't considered nuts will continue.

Well, anyway, after losing the survivalists, the Hero finds the girl, and they find a car in an underground parking garage where surprisingly, the lights are still on. Yes, humanity has fallen, but the lights are still on. After a running battle with zombies who spend way too much time doing the sneak past the camera maneuver, they meet up with the surviving survivalist, who shoots the hero in all his limbs and leaves him to die.

A final battle ensues where he rescues the girl from imminent rape, and the hero and the girl ride off into the sunset, watching the city blow up in a cheap special effects sequence.

Okay, it isn't good, but you have to admire works like this, where a lot of beginning filmmakers can show their stuff. It is a lot better than garbage like Undead or Alive, where people who should know better make bad movies.

Not that bad.

Author: pistu34 from Hungary
13 November 2007

Before watching this I asked myself, why doing an "Omega" movie, just before I am Legend comes to the big screen. Is this supposed to be just another remake of The Omega man? Well, while watching it, I was still asking the same question to myself... And I could not answer it even after the cast rolled. Well, I enjoy end-of-the-world and post-apocalyptic movies, that's why I watched this title. But it seriously lacks originality. Casting and acting is in line with the budget, cinematography is quite weak, but the weakest point here is the screenplay, that once tries to be funny than in another minute it tries to be serious. The world as we know it has ended, after all, and the zombies are on the loose, for god's sake. Don't make the fancy move with the machete when you are one of the last survivors on Earth, just silence that damn creepy zombie, please!!!!!

Last man standing

Author: ctomvelu-1 from United States
22 March 2009

Yet another remake of I AM LEGEND has Mark Dascasvcos as one of very few humans left on our planet after some major catastrophe. Everyone else is now a flesh-eating zombie. Mark D. plays a former military type who is planting bombs around the city to take out as many zombies as possible. He also shoots and beats to death as many as his schedule allows. In the middle of everything, a distress call comes in and he finds a lone survivor in the heart of the city, a young female. He reluctantly embarks on a mission to save her, in the company of two other ex-military guys who show up seemingly out of the blue. Lots of decent fight scenes, as befitting the film's legendary kickboxing star. OMEGA is moody, well photographed and has a great first half that loses some steam in the second. The gore is cartoonish, and the goofy-looking zombies are clearly played by stuntmen in rubber monster suits. No harm done, assuming you can accept the lead in this umpteenth version of the Richard Matheson story being a kickboxing machine.

Dacascos is The Last Man on Earth—except for the other men.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
30 December 2010

In a post apocalyptic world ravaged by disease, embittered survivor Renchard (Mark Dacascos) leads a life of solitude dedicated to the destruction of the mutated plague victims that killed his wife and son.

Having planted high-explosive time-bombs all over the city where the zombie-like creatures now reside, Renchard is forced by two highly trained special forces soldiers, Mike and Vincent (Ryan Lloyd and Geoff Meed), to lead a dangerous mission into zombie central to rescue immune damsel in distress Brianna (Jennifer Lee Wiggins), who might just hold the answer to a cure for the epidemic.

I might be stating the bloody obvious here, but martial arts star Mark Dacascos really doesn't possess the necessary acting chops to convincingly portray a lonely, tortured soul pushed to the edge of his sanity in a world gone wild—which is why Asylum mockbuster 'I Am Omega' works best whenever director Griff Furst abandons character development in favour of showcasing his lead performer's undoubted ability to kick ass.

Between the banal scenes in which Renchard goes crazy, listens to imaginary radio broadcasts, urinates morosely on the Vasquez Rocks (surely US cinema's most overused filming location) and gibbers like a loon, he exterminates any zombies stupid enough to wander onto his patch, which gives Dacascos a chance to show off his moves, splatter heads, and shoot stuff. During these moments we get some genuinely tense action and several effective scares and for a while 'I Am Omega' looks set to fulfil its potential as an enjoyable piece of B-movie trash.

Unfortunately, once Renchard enters the city and the clock ticks inexorably towards the inevitable explosive ending, matters get progressively sillier. It ultimately all falls apart in a mess of plot holes and culminates in an extremely dumb finale that sees our battered and bruised hero not only managing to run and push a car, despite having been shot in the legs, but also perform an impressive combination of martial arts moves to beat the bad guy and save the day.

5.5 out of 10, generously rounded up to 6 for the hilarious 'zombie in the dumpster' scene.

Oh my...

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
19 February 2009

Starts of nicely. Mark Dacascos kills some wicked zombie thingies and plants some bombs to create havoc. In the mean-time he starts going mad and hears voices after the prolonged period of isolation.

This part of the movie actually works with Dacascos hearing stuff that is not there, talking to himself and doing an adequate acting job to go with it.

Unfortunately it goes downhill when new characters arrive and Mark ends up going on a rescue mission into the heart of the zombie manifestation. Plot-holes start appearing galore and no logic is really given behind the actions of main protagonists.

Not terrible, mildly adequate piece of fun, but to be quickly forgotten.

Mark Dacascos Versus Zombies!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
16 March 2009

Indeed, "I Am Omega" is an "I Am Legend" knock-off from those copycats at The Asylum, but the Will Smith movie stank like three-day old tomatoes rotting in the sun with its pretentious plot about the last guy alive with recurring flashbacks about his family and the destruction of New York City. In "Universal Soldiers" director Griff Furst's low-budget,predictable, but exciting,straight-to-DVD, B-movie "I Am Omega," Renchard (Mark Dacascos of "Cradle 2 the Grave") is one of the last survivors of a mysterious pestilence that has mutated virtually everybody else into ravenous, bloodthirsty zombies. Renchard is holed up alone in a compound of a house in the mountains wired to an alarm system, barbed wire, and a satellite computer link. Thank God that he doesn't have a dog! He does, however, have a mannequin with which to interact. Anyway, one day Renchard receives an incoming video message on his lap-top from Brianna who has holed herself up in a laboratory in the city that he is trying to destroy because it has become a haven for zombies. Brianna (Jennifer Lee Wiggins of "Dracula's Curse") has a built-in resistance to the pestilence, and she is desperately trying to reach a sanctuary called Antioch. Repeatedly, she contacts Renchard, but he wants nothing to do with her because he is going crazy himself. It doesn't help matters that she resembles his late wife. When he isn't staring at photos of his family, he is killing zombies left, right, center, and sideways. By the way, the zombies look pretty nauseating which adds at least a star to this fast-moving, 85-minute Apocalyptic tale.

"I Am Omega" is one of those horror movies where zombies spring out of nowhere to scare you with their ugly, hideous faces while blood dribbles down their lips. Daniel Maldondado's editing adds a visceral quality to their attacks. These zombies share little in common, for example, with the zombies that menaced Vincent Price in the original Richard Matheson movie. Those zombies staggered around, but these undead demons could be Olympic medal winners what with the way they scramble from here to there. Our physically fit hero uses his combat skills with automatic weapons and his martial arts prowness, but he is like Custer at the Last Stand. These zombies keep popping up like dragon's teeth sown in the earth. Indeed, these feral combat scenes give this movie it's edge, and that edge escalates when a couple of normal but insane soldiers show up about 36 minutes into the action in a van at Richard's place one day. They convince him to lead them into the city so they can rescue Brianna. These guys, however, aren't completely honest with our resourceful hero.

Mindless Asylum action galore with no science speculative or otherwise in sight predominats, but the adrenalin-laced hand-held camera-work salvages this nonsense. Actually, Alexander Yellen's photography is a notch above what you usually get from this kind of tripe. There's an amusing showdown in a high rise parking lot where our hero tries to crank a car while the zombies assemble behind him and he has to face them down alone with this kick-boxing skills. "I Am Omega" clearly is not for everybody's taste but it ranks as a better-than-average opus from Asylum. Nothing really surprising happens here, but Furst stages the action with a senes of style and gusto. The sympathetic Renchard (Dacascos in a good performance)and his woebegone plight along with the momentum in the action scenes partially redeems this derivative, one-dimensional slaughterhouse saga.

Apocalyptic Survival Horror Not bad !!!!

Author: tigpoppa from Satans Inner Circle
29 June 2008

Just got done watching this movie. Seems like a solid story and I like the parallels with the I am legend movies. Seems like they tie in well and flush out more of the background. Be warned this is low budget but that does not mean it is a waste of time. People who complain about them not having money to make it better need to chill out and realize that the story is solid. The acting is great except for the girl who I just wanted to die. Whenever she talked she ruined the movie. The guys did a great job with their characters and they really came to life. I would have given this an 8 but that horrid acting from that girl made me give it a 4. She turned low budget film into a disaster. I would rather watch babies get kicked out windows then watch her in another movie.

Yes this movie is low budget so why complain about that. If you like good stories that are survival horror or apocalyptic you might like this. I liked it except for that girl who just ruined the movie for me. Her acting is very out of character and it shows unfortunately. Luckily her horrible attempt at acting didn't lower the morale of the other actors on the set.

Hope this gets remade with the same people minus the stupid girl who has no talent!!!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]