IMDb > Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Page 8 of 34: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

The sequel that few people demanded.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
15 November 2014

I believe that I am in the minority for enjoying the original Ghost Rider, and I was looking forward to this sequel despite its current low IMDb rating of 4.3. As it turns out, I should have listened to the masses: Spirit of Vengeance is virtually unwatchable, even for a Nic Cage fan like myself.

The first clue to the low quality of this film is its locale: as a rule, I find sequels that inexplicably take place in Eastern Europe to be inferior to the original, the seemingly exotic setting often chosen for no other reason than pure economics, productions costing less to film in places like Turkey and Romania. The other big clue that I would probably hate this film was the directorial team of Brian Taylor and Mark Neveldine, who were responsible for the ADHD Jason Statham action flick Crank, a film that annoyed me from start to finish.

To make matters even worse, the plot is derivative, reminding me an awful lot of the far superior sci-fi classic Terminator 2: Judgment Day (a boy and his tough mother are protected by a once-bad, leather jacket wearing, partly human protector who rides a motorbike), the script is terrible (even Cage's wild eyed mad acting technique cannot detract from the awful dialogue), and there are some truly lousy performances from the supporting cast (worst offenders: Fergus Riordan as irritating kid Danny and Christopher Lambert as facially tattooed monk Methodius)— all of which had me struggling to stay awake.

I will definitely not be getting my hopes up if a third Ghost Rider movie should ever get the green-light.

Another nail in the coffin of Nicolas Cage's career

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
2 February 2014

I am so saddened by the fact that Nicolas Cage cannot pick a good script to save his life. Gone are the days when he was a respected actor and highly in demand. I thought this movie might be bearable because the first one wasn't too bad but boy was I wrong. It was absolutely terrible. I was forced to give it a 1 (and I never rate things a 1) because he is so much better than this and it broke my heart to see him sink so low.

By the end of the movie I still didn't really know what the movie was about. It's like listening to a politician's speech who dances around the issue so much, avoiding answering anything that by the end you have no idea what they actually said. (Note: I don't think all politician's are boring just a select few. Every country has at least one who never seems to answer anything yet talks endlessly).

I will continue to remain hopeful though that Nicolas Cage can return to his former glory. You never know, stranger things have happened.

Below "C" category

Author: leadfog from BD
18 June 2013

I can not Believe I watch this. This is by far the worst movie I have ever seen.

I did not think the actors can Act this horribly. There is no Strong Story. The "B" or "C" category movies have much interesting story and they have lot of things to watch. Right now it this film is rated from 1 to 10, if it was possible I would have give it is negative ratings. My score would be story 2 out of 10 and acting (-) 8 out of 10. The first movie was great. The only reason many people watch this movie because of that. But after watching this I doubt that any one will watch any thing from this cast or director.

Do not waste your time. Sleeping would be Better use of time.

Horrible

Author: Kerem Gogus from Turkey
1 November 2012

As today's unfortunate event I just watched the Ghost Rider II on TV. I wonder what they were thinking... It was bad, really bad. Even the VFX was very weak compared to the first one. Story was horrible (I wonder if there was a story written down at all), characters were ridiculous, there's no atmosphere on the movie, overall look of the "color scheme" of the scenes were almost amateurish. Guys, you suppose to shoot (some of) it in Turkey not turn it into a Turkish movie.

And something I should say that cool, stylish, elegant and beautiful chopper gone and replaced with a horrible bike. Ghost Rider not appearing like in the first movie. It was a clean, burning skull with characteristic lines. Now it looks like a rotting zombie. Soul Stare gone, replaced with a "blank stare"... GR looks to his victim a lot but nothing happens. Actually there are too much nonsense things happening in the movie that I can't digest here.

Actings are simply horrible. Just Violante Placido is very beautiful but it's not saving the day.

Well, I know people who are making better productions with almost zero budget in Hollywood. I wonder what they've come up with a budget spent on GR II - which was a total waste.

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011)

Author: SnakesOnAnAfricanPlain from United Kingdom
17 July 2012

Nicolas Cage must have some big balls to return to this franchise. After the appalling reaction to the first film this series should have died immediately. Well Cage is back and he promised us a little something extra. What we got was a lot worse. We have a plot of no real significance, where the devil is trying to kidnap a boy so he can take his body. Ghost Rider tries to stop it. This films biggest crime is being insanely boring. Cage showed us how to have stupid violent fun with Drive Angry, so why can't he do this correctly? It's set in 'Eastern Europe', a place with no discernible landmarks or colour. It's like the old quarry sets from Doctor Who. Everything is just dusty and gray. Nothing else happens. We have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd act fight scene, which are all the same. The actors are barely that, with only Elba giving it a shot. Cage just comes off as confused. It's like he saw that 'Nic Cage Loses His Sh*t' internet video and wanted to create more material for it. I think they tried to develop a caring relationship between him and a child, but what the hell is this? ET? The direction is also poor. Neveldine and Taylor may be able to create weird and exciting visuals for things like Crank, but this needs some focus. A few monologues suggest that it wants to be a comedy but the jokes fall flat. I've already forgotten this film and I finished watching it 10 minutes ago.

A very disappointing movie

Author: abudavari-417-431831 from United States
8 July 2012

This was the absolute worst movie ever! You would think that the creators of this movie would have at least followed the first one. It is supposed to mimic the Marvel comics, but the graphics were horrible. The Ghost Rider looked old, tired and used. What happened to the cool chopper he rode in the first movie? The ugly heap of junk in this movie should have been at the dump not on scene. What was with the stare with the open mouth? I kept waiting for something to happen but nothing ever did. There was absolutely no storyline until about the last ten minutes or so. I am disappointed that Nicholas Cage would even consider this storyline. The acting the was the worst I've seen in a long time, which is a shame because I love Nicholas Cage. The psycho facial expressions made by Nicholas Cage were so lame and fake. No acting involved in this one. Please, please spare us number three. I don't think we can handle another dive of a movie.

Sooooooooooo Bad!

Author: Z-Rider from Ireland
8 July 2012

I'm not going to waste my time searching for positives on this one. There simply aren't any. The first 'Ghost Rider' was so awful I at least thought that 'Spirit of Vengeance' had to be an improvement but I was so wrong! I almost felt embarrassed for Cage as he 'Attempted' to act his way through this rubbish. The characters were not introduced at all and I found it difficult to figure out the plot which quickly went nowhere.

Firstly the special fx were dreadful and seemed very low budget. There were times during the movie where 'Blaze's' facial expressions left me cringing. Also, I recall from the first 'Ghost Rider' the moment when Blaze sold his soul to the Devil while in his shed working on his bike.....well for some reason this looked different when Blaze is recalling this in the 'Spirit of Vengeance'.

If you have nothing better to do well then watch this but if you were disappointing with the first installment I think you will throw this one in the bin.

Like punisher warzone?, you might like this. like GR1 but not 2? stick to spider-man.

Author: metalcactus667 from United Kingdom
7 July 2012

So they say that while it has nicholas cage again as blaze, it's actually more of a reboot than a sequel. So it's a bit like what they did with the punisher/ punisher: warzone, and even hulk/incredible hulk films. With each film they tried doing a new start with an origin story to kick things off with... Then when those films flopped and they wanted to do more films with those characters later, they decide to reboot but rather than retread more origin stories (that people are getting sick to death of) they decided to just do a recap-heads-up of what their deal is pre-credits or during, so they could get on with a separate story to focus on. And for each film these reboots bettered the originals by pushing the action factor.

With what i read i thought GR:SOV was going to be rubbish, but i was pleasantly surprised. what made this rewatchable was mainly both the action scenes at the construction site and the road chase later on, they were much better than the none event fights in the first film against the demons, and telling helicopter to go away... I heard the new skull had too much black smoke obscuring it, but no, it doesn't. The new skull is loads better, and on rewatching the first again I found GR1 to look far too cgi clean. The new rider has more chaotic personality than previous, perhaps because cage had his head rigged up and actually acted the skull out rather than a computer simulating movement and speech. This film leans more towards the darker grit side though not full on punisher warzone grit due to certification. They really shouldn't bother marketing marvel knights to kids, it's like keeping the training wheels on. Luckily it doesn't really effect this film.

If you don't like this film, but liked the first then maybe you should stick to spider-man, because this one is closer to how movie ghost rider should be. Or even how a knights movie should be. The first encounter isn't very eventful, and the story just holds the scenes inline, but at least there is a proper villain this time in the form of blackout. If they do another, rather than yet another blaze reboot, i'd like to see the power passed onto the danny ketch version.

Don't waste your time

Author: lanakorten from Tennesse, USA
6 July 2012

I liked the first Ghost Rider. But this sequel, if that's what this movie is, is just awful. The writing is awful, the special effect are poorly done and the acting is sub par. The camera shots are so choppy that at times it almost gives one a headache. The ghost rider no longer looks into people's eyes, instead he just runs around killing people. The skull and hands no longer have a good fire effect. Instead it looks like they added it behind the skull as an afterthought. The chain is no longer a fiery whip. This movie is so bad that I'd really like to give it a negative rating. I saw this movie for free. Even so, I'm just mad that I wasted two hours of my life watching this garbage. Don't waste your time. If you like the first Ghost Rider stay away from this one.

Not bad but disappointed :(

Author: corxbeans from Canada
23 February 2012

OK Where to start... Well when i first saw this trailer back in the summer 2011 i thought HOLY Crap this will be amazing i watched the trailer like 10times and i still wanted to see it. Saw it just a few hrs ago and wow.... little disappointed:(. I was a little mad about how Nic Cage was just like not on his best acting skills like come on. The whole like joking thing when he had this guy up against the wall and the part where he is trying to not let the rider take over. What really only got me in this movie was 1st time seeing the rider and the action. Yah OK the action was my favourite but thats mainly it. But i hated how GR was just like fooling around in the 1st scene. Why didn't he just kill everyone! No stand there and make a joke and see what people do. He spent like 2mins doing his Penance stare to one guy and then eventually got 4 rockets up his butt and then the bad guys took took the kid. But was really bad was the ending! Don't even start. GR is killing the rest of the bad guys and then flips the car (like u see in trailer) then takes the devil and puts him back too hell then. Grabs the kid and takes him to the mom. (Be aware when u see him standing with the kid in his arms (its the 1st Ghost Rider!! LOOK at his clothing and head!!) Then johnny saves him and says yes....hell yes! then its like the last one GR he rides off but this time it was blue fire then at the end "Im Ghost Rider" Then credits. I don't hope they make a 3rd one because this wasn't the greatest BUT I will buy this on Blu ray and 3D for the sound and action and bass.