IMDb > Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Page 18 of 34: [Prev][13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Would have been a good TV Movie/straight-to-DVD

Author: skm4321
23 February 2012

Before the review let me clear a few things: 1.I really liked the first movie. 2.I am Nicolas Cage fan. 3.Before going to this movie I had already read other reviews. 4.I knew its budget is half than its predecessor.

Still I got disappointed.This is the first movie in superhero/comics genre to disappoint me.This isn't an unwatchable movie,far from it.But Its just a movie of straight-to-DVD level.

Only good thing about this movie are the scenes involving ghost rider.Ghost Rider action scenes are awesome and bad-ass.But everything else is just pure mediocre. Nicolas Cage is average as Johnny Blaze.All the other actors are sleepwalking through their respective roles.Most disappointing part are the antagonists.They are not threatening enough.

It had the potential of being a great dark superhero movie.But alas that chance is blown now.It would have been better as just a made for TV/DVD movie.

Watch this movie: 1.If you are a ghost rider fan(As I said earlier Ghost Rider fighting scenes are noteworthy and entertaining,that's why I gave it 3 stars) 2.If you can't get bored by any movie. 3.You want to support Nicolas Cage.

For the rest, there is no reason to watch it in a theater. Better wait for its DVD to come out.Then you can judge this movie by yourself.

Trash

Author: stewhouse from United States
31 May 2012

I Can't believe they ruined one of the best Marvel heroes ever made. At least the first movie had Ghost Rider doing things from the comics and made his costume look correct. This movie made complete trash of the spirit and made Nicholas Cage look like an idiot when he acted crazy. If they ever do another one, they need to go back to the original look. I can't believe Stan Lee would even approve of this movie, but then again I've seen a few screwed up marvel movies. I think these people who create these movies need to go back and read about the characters they are trying to create. This movie will not end up in my DVD collection that is for sure!!!

Disappointing and Frustrating Sequel

Author: labyfan from Ontario, Canada
8 April 2012

First of all I have to start by saying I loved the first Ghost Rider, but this one made me mad.

3D: I thought this might be a good one to see in 3D, with chains flying in your face and things like that, but there was no point. In all the cities in my area they didn't even give you a choice of seeing it in 3D or not. If that's the case, there had better be a reason for 3D and it had better be good. There wasn't for this movie.

Action sequences: I know a lot of films are doing this now, but I hate it when they jiggle the cameras around and flash quickly between close up shots of something that you can't identify and you have no idea what is going on. This is made worse by the 3D effect. I'm sure they think it's more realistic, like you're actually there, but the would be spectacular scene is lost. I'd be way more amazed if they zoomed out and kept the camera steady so we could actually see what was happening.

Nicolas Cage: He was hardly in the film, and I don't just mean because he was computer generated half the time. Both Johnny and his alter ego Ghost Rider weren't there that much. There was more focus on the other characters and because it was only 1.5 hours long (which I think is too short for a marvel story) Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider didn't get enough air time.

Appearance: I understand Ghost Rider has been going through hell and he's looking decrepit, but I was sad not to see the cool leather jacket with the spikes, tight leather pants, boots on the bike. His bike was looking pretty beat up too. Instead of cool and sexy, he was just plain blah. I didn't like how they did his transformation or how his skull looked either, sorry to say.

Behavior: I guess it was because he's gone insane, but I didn't like how G.R. didn't really say anything. He just jerked his head like some kind of animal. He didn't point at people and pass his judgement: guilty or innocent. When he stared into a person's soul it just went on and on, the two of them staring at each other like they forgot to put in the clip showing all the person's past sins. Then the bad guy just turned to dust. It was completely unsatisfying when they didn't get their eyes burnt out by seeing all they'd done in the past. I also missed how G.R. would whip the chain around then wrap it over his shoulder.

Story: The idea was good (the whole son of the devil thing) but they didn't use it to its full potential. (Again the 1.5 hour length didn't leave them much time.) I didn't like how they redid the back story of him making a deal with the devil and changed it. (This also ate up Nicholas Cage's and this story's air time.) I wished they'd shown more of what's been happening to Blaze since the last film as well.

Things that didn't make sense: Maybe I missed something when I watched it in the theatre, but I don't understand how G.R. gets blown up by a grenade and ends up in the hospital then later gets hit by a bazooka and it doesn't bother him one bit. (I'm sure there were other thing's that didn't make sense, but it's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember them now.) The Devil: I wish Peter Fonda had reprized his role.

In the end I think you still should at least see this movie if you were a fan of the first one. I just warn you that you will be frustrated and probably angered by parts of it. I do really hope they make another one just so they can make it better than this one and give the fans some satisfaction, which in this case shouldn't be hard after this.

Dispiriting

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
4 March 2012

In an opening that just barely sets up the thin excuse for a plot, we are treated to cybermonks(the Nostalgia Critic must be on top of the world) and one of those action scenes(nearly all of which in this are unexciting(with the exception of a too short battle near the end) and only there for the reasonably well-done FX(which are at least less stiff and goofy than in the original, a film that this one, by the way, screws over(...I guess we can't completely hold that against it) in a couple of ways, retconning away some of the few things that weren't negative)) that are confusing in inverse proportion to how enjoyable it is, and since nothing has been established yet, we have no clue who to root for and no reason to care. Actually, it never really produces last-mentioned. Anyway, the titular Ghost Rider has gotten to look(they took a step away from the old skull in this... not that this isn't plenty full of other silly stuff) and behave bad-ass since the ending of the 2007 one, and that provides a little entertainment in an otherwise dismal flick. He's hired by a drunk French priest to protect a woman and her 13-year-old son, since the devil has a vested interest in the latter. They're chased by Carrigan, the gunrunning drug pusher insert other Hollywood bad guy clichés, who has a bunch of hired goons around to shoot at stuff, and, more importantly, fill the role of cannon fodder for our dark hero. Yes, that problem with him remains, he has too little opposition and tends to win with ease(this time, turning plenty of people into ash, by merely touching them), and though they do try to throw some challenges his way(in the form of explosive-based weaponry, if it is inconsistent how effective it is), it again renders those sequences tensionless. The 3D is hardly utilized, except for a cheesy opening gag of threatening the audience... like every other joke in this, it fails completely. A bunch of the time, that has more to do with the dire execution than the material that, at times, shows genuine promise(such as the example of the Twinkie bit). This tries to go into a compelling thematic, with Cage(who delivers a decent performance, as, unfortunately, the only one in the cast in this... Ciarán I know to be skilled, and like Peter Fonda, he has the gravitas to portray Satan, and I wish he'd brought it here... to be fair, part of the blame lies with the tired, uninspired script of insipid dialog and characters that, like everything else in this, are devoid of memorable qualities) being possessed by an avenging angel, and his struggle to control it. It also asks an ethical question or two. Wouldn't it be fantastic if either of those things had us engaged? I can't put my finger on why they don't, but I can't deny that to be the result. When looking this up here, I learned that it was only 90-ish minutes. That caught me off guard. It felt like at least two hours. The flamethrower penis joke is as gratuitous as you might think or worse. This holds nothing worth the price of admission. Yes, this is a Neveldine-Taylor picture, and you can tell from the style, when they choose to apply it. We get a little surrealism, and at times this feels like they're desperately trying to turn it into Crank 3(a series that was actually well-done), with Nicolas stealing pain pills and coming off like an addict during an interrogation as he tries to hold back the physical transformation. It doesn't help that they're forced to fit their work within the constraints of the PG-13 rating. I'm also not convinced that these two should ever go near fantasy again. This doesn't even have that much of the supernatural in it, and the only villain who uses powers makes things decay... you know, just like Blackheart did in the Mark Steven Johnson take on this(at least it's treated to better animation). There is a lot of disturbing content, a little implied sexuality and barely any moderate to strong language in this. I recommend this to those who won't heed the warning. 3/10

Ghost rider eats your soul and Money too !!!

Author: Ragnesh Jani from Nadiad, Gujarat, India
21 February 2012

About  Ghost Rider: spirit of vengeance -- The man on fire is back with his hell bike ... But, looks like he is just serving a barbecue treat  this time ;)

I went to watch the film because of crank fame director duo Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor. But they failed (including script writer) to translate marvel's characters on the screen :( .

Though the length of the film is only 95 mins , you will get shattered on your seats... Haphazard action scenes, poor screenplay and mediocre  acting will defiantly disappoint you.

Nicolas cage as Johnny blaze seems confused to understand his role..However, He is good as Ghost rider (because Ghost rider neither speaks nor expresses ...It's just technical ;) BTW digital makeover of Ghost rider is better than the last1. Idris Elba as Moreau is considerable.... All I can say about Italian beauty violante placido (Nadya) is Miss you Eva Mendes( Roxanne - Ghost rider2007) in this sequel

To conclude : watch only if you have nothing better to do ...

Save yourselves, your eyes and your ears.

Author: Kyle Haywood from United Kingdom
6 June 2012

Greetings all.

I may run out of descriptive words for how seriously bad this is.

Wow, was my expression through the entirety of this.... film? I use that term loosely as I'm certain this assault on my senses was intended for torture or something equally as painful.

There is nothing commendable here, save for one or two comic book-esque, animated scenes and the mention of Zarathos (a comic reference only us nerds will understand).

One would assume that this cast could have produced something far superior, so I place all blame firmly on the directors, and unfortunately a hat tip to David S. Goyer's wafer thin, seen-it-all-before story which doesn't exactly inspire much confidence. To think he has written such epics as Batman Begins, oh how the mighty have fallen, in this case anyway.

The shaky camera work, random zooming and absurd angles do nothing to enhance what is already a dreadful experience. The script, like most of the scenes, the action and settings, is completely incoherent at nearly all times. While the score is loud and ungainly throughout, never attributing to the ambiance if there was any to begin with.

Ghost Rider with a twitch, well who'd have thought it? Here, what was portrayed fairly well in the first installment is completely abstract in both personality and appearance. Constant laughing, noises and very strange movement make this unconventional hero an utter joke, even the penance stare has been altered to what comes across as plain old shouting.

If there were elements to praise then I would gladly do so, but there are not. I enjoyed the first film, which was hindered by a great many flaws. But in comparison, I am thankful to have seen the first, as it succeeds where this garbage fails miserably at every single turn.

Long has it been since I can recount having seen something so ridiculously, outrageously, catastrophically useless.

On the plus side, things can now only get better for this character, if anyone should ever dare to attempt another. Understandable if they don't.

Stay away....stay far away....

Author: theargonaut187-2 from United States
27 March 2012

I don't know who paid the reviewers above me, but I registered just so I could write about this horrible conglomeration that was produced.

The first Ghost Rider was good, it was actually good. It had an origin story, a plot, Nick Cage actually had lines to speak and dialogue with other characters that made sense. The Rider actually had dialogue as he would have in the comics and had funny little quips and such.

All this is left behind in the sequel and it should be avoided like a leper colony.

There are characters in this one that...just appear...for no reason. We don't know why they're there, they just appear on screen and we learn their names and that's it.

Go watch the first instead.

The worst offering from the Marvel stable so far.

Author: geodrake-71-627198 from United Kingdom
26 February 2012

The first 'Ghost Rider' movie was released five years ago. Why the long wait for a sequel? Perhaps because no-one actually knew what to do with the character once his origins had been explained. A lot of the potential had been squandered in the original, the horror aspect was underplayed and Nicholas Cage was miscast in the lead. He's too old for starters. I suspect that if Cage wasn't so desperate for cash at the moment, 'Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance' would have been a straight to DVD release with a different actor as Blaze/The Rider. It was made on the cheap in Eastern Europe, most of the budget being spent on the CGI for The Rider (an improvement on the first outing) and lamely post rendering the whole thing into money grubbing 3D. Cage doesn't even seem to be even trying, if anything he appears to be having a contest with John Whitworth (Carrigan) as to who can be the worst actor. The plot is half baked and it's obvious no real effort was put into the screenplay. Ciaran Hinds makes an O.K. Roarke (aka Satan) but he can only work with the rubbish material he's given. Not enough screen time is given to The Rider - Blaze in human form hogs the limelight, possibly due to financial constraints. Comic book adaptations need to be made by folk who understand the material they're working with. The team behind Ghost Rider clearly don't have a clue. Marvel should have been slower to release the rights rather than jump at the cheque waved under their noses.

i wanted a refund.... such a let down

Author: Esther-grace Rodriguez from orlando, florida
25 February 2012

i love Ghostrider. my husband collect the comic books. and i like the first one so i was excited about this one. but 30 min in to the movie i was thinking already to get a refund. but stayed out of stupidity, hoping the movie will turn around and give a good ending. it didn't. i was so bummed out after it finished. the scenes were like a very tacky music video, and the acting was horrible. i was a big nick cage but ever since "season of the witch" Im thinking.." what the hell is that!" and the plot was just as bad. i don't know if the film has the same director as the first but it seem they took the ghostrider character to a whole different direction instead of keeping him true to the first film's character. this movie you actually don't need to watch the first one to see this one. he narrates through the whole film. every now and then he input his thoughts to the audience as if we couldn't see what going on..(annoying). they seem to care more about the 3D effects than making a good movie. i suggest don't waste your money to see this but if your really curious like my wait for the redbox and pay 1$ cuz that what its worth.

Spirit of FAIL!

Author: dom_ti2000 from Romania
24 February 2012

It's so bad it's good... NOT! Just to get it out of the way, the 3D made a crappy movie ... well still a crappy movie but in 3D ! Not even gonna go in detail about the stupid story, stupid characters, bad acting, embarrassingly not funny jokes, the movie doesn't take itself seriously so why should I(you) ? At this point it's pointless to say that the movie insults your intelligence, witch it does but it manages to do much more than that... it insults film culture for butchering and ruining great characters.

If I could ever say something to Mr. Cage I would say: FIRE YOUR AGENT !!! Your career is going down the drain. Don't waste your money, don't waste your time, stay away from this one !