IMDb > Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Page 13 of 34: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

More nonsense from a pair of hacks

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
5 June 2014

GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE, a sequel to a comic-book movie that nobody asked for, has the misfortune to be directed by the directing duo of Neveldine and Taylor, two guys who came to short-lived fame after the success of CRANK. I'm not really a fan of their hyper-kinetic direction - in fact, I don't think many people are - and it really drags down the quality of this otherwise typical storyline.

Then again, to be totally honest, the first ghost rider wasn't really all that great to begin with. Nicolas Cage is, shall we say, adequate at best, playing a guy who undergoes a Hulk-style transformation into a flaming skeleton at regular intervals. Truth be told, it's all pretty silly and the narrative is as a lightweight and uninteresting as you'd expect (something about Ghost Rider trying to save a kid from the clutches of the Devil).

The best thing about the film? It has to be the ever-reliable Ciaran Hinds, perfectly cast as the Devil and delivering a top-notch performance to boot, just as you'd expect from one of the greatest - and most underrated - actors of our time. What else to say? Well, Cage's performance is occasionally entertaining for all the wrong reasons - watch out for that "scraping at the door" breakdown - and Violante Placido is easy on the eye. Idris Elba bags a neat supporting role. And some of the CGI-imbued action isn't too shabby. But in the wide world of superhero movies, it's fair to say GHOST RIDER: SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE is one of the more forgettable instalments out there.

An action movie by the numbers

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
13 May 2014

If you like cheesy, daft, over-the-top action films (like me for example), you probably enjoyed Ghost Rider. Therefore, you may be drawn into watching the sequel - Spirit of Vengeance.

I'm currently writing this review while the credits are rolling. I am doing this for one reason only: if I leave it another hour, I might well have forgotten the entire film.

It was like someone took a hero, inserted a couple of bad guys along the way, added a monster at the end and an annoying kid to rescue and trotted it out as a film.

This has to be the most generic action film ever made.

I would like to try and say something negative about it - something that really got my blood boiling, but I can't. There's absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Only there's nothing good to say about it either. It's just completely middle-of-the-road.

The only way this film can be perceived as 'amazing' is if an alien came down from space, after living on a planet with no action films, and watched this. Basically, if you've never seen an action film before, you'll probably be blown away.

Me, I've seen one or two before and, now I'm reaching the end of the review I'm having real trouble actually remembering what I'm reviewing. I think it had Nicolas Cage in it, or maybe it was John Travolta? Did I just see someone's head on fire?

After this one there probably isn't going to be a third

Author: Sam from Belgium
3 May 2014

Loved the first Ghost Rider movie so I was really looking forward to seeing this one and hoped it was as good as the first. But it wasn't.

Can't believe they screwed up in so many ways on the sequel. There was never a moment that made me feel that it was worth watching.

The thing I hated the most where those clips in between of the Ghost Rider. They were just ridiculous and should never have been in the final cut.

I'm very disappointed in this movie especially because I like the character that is the Ghost Rider. He looks great and has awesome powers. The story around him also is very interesting. Witch definitely puts him in my top 5 of favorite super heroes.

Overall this movie could have been great but through to bad screen writing it became a huge disappointment. I just hope they didn't kill the Ghost Rider franchise with this movie.

Poor VFX guys

Author: Jerghal from Belgium
9 August 2013

Where to start...Cage's gravely overacted performance is almost as bad as in 'Drive Anry'. Some scenes are so ridiculous it makes you squirm in your seat. I can't believe this is the same guy who did 'Lord of War' or 'Wild at Heart'. Maybe it's a badly copied clone. The director's who's shaky style worked for the Crank series just make this look messy. There are also some daft errors: in the beginning of the film bullets and a rocket send Rider to the hospital and later he can take loads of them without a scratch. Maybe the only good thing about this movie is that the burning skull looks like it's more realistically on fire then in the first one. Thx poor VFX guys who had to work on this crap.

The worst special effects one can imagine

Author: (stevenfallonnyc@yahoo.com) from NYC
4 May 2013

This gets a "3" out of ten simply because Nicholas Cage is so much fun to watch. What a shame - Ghost Rider is an awesome comic book character, the first movie was OK, but this movie is a stupid-looking mess. Not even a hot mess, just a mess.

The entire movie looks like a freaking video game. In other words, fake as all heck and ridiculous. These have to be the worst special effects I've seen in a modern day movie, where the FX were expected to be good. CGI is a joke. Even the big chase scene gets yawns because it doesn't get a single "gasp" out of any viewer - because you can't gasp at something so obviously fake.

The plot is OK, where the devil needs a little boy's body to inhibit, but it's done so sloppily that not even the hot girl can save things.

Really, this flick is such a piece of crap, you really have to watch Nic Cage for Nic Cage's sake and that's the only appeal at all. Otherwise, it's just a big fake cartoon. CGI sucks. Absolutely horrible.

Nicolas Cage worst actor ever.

Author: ssnake20024 from United States
1 February 2013

Why Nicolas, just why? why don't you just go hide in a cave to live your sad pathetic life and never again do any movies, ever!. And Marvel? How could they let this franchise go to waste, I just can't comprehend, it had potential. If they so desperately wanted Nicolas Cage to play a Hero they should've given him the role of either AntMan or DC's AquaMan or some other sucky character not Ghost Rider for Pete's sake.

Acting is awful Effects are OK Sound is good Story = meh Direction = sad, uninspired

All in all a bad, uninspired, poorly executed movie, such a shame.

Not worth the time spent watching it.

Author: Rebecca Bradeen from Boston, MA
26 December 2012

Since it is based on a comic book I expected there to be things that were slightly over the top with a plot that would probably not be acceptable anywhere else. So I was not disappointed with any of that, even though there was plenty. There was a lot of action with fire, gunfights and explosions. There were a few witty lines and some good effects and times of comic book fun. But I hate the way it was shot. There was some split screen stuff I didn't like, and the picture would jump around in a way I found unpleasant, some fast camera moves that didn't make things easier to follow, and several shots that you could tell were there simply for the 3D effect and I hate when a film does that (and I saw it in 2D so the shots were even worse.) If you are a huge Ghost Rider fan or in love with Nicholas Cage go ahead and see this one, just don't expect too much. If you are neither of those I wouldn't bother.

Oh, the silliness burns my eyes

Author: poyrazbaklan from Tokyo, Japan
23 December 2012

OK first of all, I admit kinda liked the first ghost rider movie. It was silly and the villains and the plot were forgettable but it had some nice action scenes and Eva Mendes. Also ghost rider is all in all a cool anti hero and his scenes with the older ghost rider, accompanied by the catchy (you know it) Ghost riders in the sky was awesome. It wasn't good but enjoyable. I hated this one to my guts. I hated the plot, characters, the acting, every part of it. There was no plot to speak f actually, some random action scenes put together. And to make fun of a character like the ghost rider is no east task, and they failed miserably. Take the infamous fire pissing scene for example. Is it because they are trying to soften up a character, making it more likable as a hero who makes fun of himself? No. Just for the heck of it. And parts of the movie was shot in Urgup, Turkey. I was a little excited that the big and only Nicolas cage was shooting a movie in my country but you hardly see the environment and worse, it is being used for the gathering of this devil worshiping cult. They could have shot the same scenes in a studio if they are not going to show how beautiful looking the whole place is. Needless movie, not worthy of anyone's time.

Never thought I'd say this

Author: menneke001 from Belgium
22 December 2012

Never thought I'd say this about a Marvel movie, but DAAAAANG, This is really really really REALLY bad !!! And not bad is in good; bad is stinking bad !!!!

I can't believe Nicolas Cage attached himself to such a weak production and screenplay. My god this is bad. And I'm a fan of the Captain America with Matt Salinger. So you can imagine how bad this is must be.

A short overview of this movie : - the script sucks - the camera work is shoddy (the wanted effect is incredibly bad) - the performance of N.C. is nowhere near his usual level (even Bangkok Dangerous was better than this), - the coloring is all wrong - there's no transformation - Christophe Lambert is in it (which lately has come to mean it can't be good) - there's an overall lack of conviction - the accents are bad beyond belief - the editing looks like a mix between a documentary & a bad 80's punk video - Stan Lee hasn't got a cameo in it

The only good thing in this movie is the joke with the Twinkie (and that ain't even a joke).

So glad i didn't buy it when it came out. At least I haven't spent too much money on it (bought a Blu-ray for only a 3,99 euro, about 5$).

Damn this is bad. I just can't get over it.

Hope the next Marvel Knight movies will be better.

Like The Ghost Rider himself: Soul Sucking

Author: GoodfellaSeinfeld from The Mushroom Kingdom
22 November 2012

In 2007 we were given Ghost Rider, a superhero that has been widely considered to be one of the worst movies in the genre. I have not seen it mostly because I have not found it anywhere that I don't have to pay money for and if a superhero movie released in 2007 is considered worse then Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer then I don't think I could have the glimpse touch my eyes without opening my eyes out with tacks. I went into Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance with just about as little hype as I possibly could. I heard from many friends that this movie was bad so I decided to not see it in the movie theater, I watched on demand for free and hoped for a movie like Transformers where I could tell it was bad but I would enjoy it anyway. No, Ghost Rider 2 was nothing like that. I watched in awe at just how awful Ghost Rider 2 got. I cannot believe this movie was put out at all. The story is just silly. Johnny Blaze is hiding out in Eastern Europe and is called upon to stop the devil, who is trying to take human form. The form is that of a little kid, who just so happens to be his son. I do not understand how the devil could get any work done in transferring from a grown man to a bratty ten year old kid. Spirit of vengeance has exactly one good thing to it, Idris Elba. He actually looks like he is having fun but is obviously there just for a paycheck. Other then that the movie is just full of garbage. Not a SINGLE character is likable. The mother is annoying, the villains are some of the dumbest characters in film history, and the kid is quite possibly the worst kid in media since Carl from The Walking Dead. The camera shakes constantly almost as if they placed the camera on a paint mixer before rolling. Nicholas Cage overacts his lines to the nth degree. SOMEONE must have known that he was awful, I cannot imagine that anyone could possibly green light a performance like that. He is so bad I would almost recommend to watch it just to see him, but you can find the best parts on YouTube so there is no point. The editing is so bad as well. random scenes will just be cut into dialogue scenes especially one of Ghost Rider pissing fire. Also, they honestly expect you to buy the chemistry between this kid and Johnny Blaze. It could be the most awkward scene sharing in film history. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is the worst movie I have seen since Jack & Jill. NOTHING in this movie works except Elba and that is only because he is always fun. I cannot believe this movie was not stopped by production because it is honestly a top contender with Transformers 2 as worst action movie ever. I cannot recommend this movie to anyone even if you are in the mood for a bad movie. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance is a worst superhero movie then Batman & Robin and is, without a doubt, the worst movie of 2012 so far.