IMDb > "Skunk Fu!" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Skunk Fu!" More at IMDbPro »

It's more fun to be sprayed by a group of angry skunks than watch this show

Author: jediforce10 from United States
21 May 2013

Skunk Fu is one of those TV shows that is a perfect textbook definition of a completely boring and utterly bland TV show. The concept of the show is not only cliché for the most part, but the show itself is full of every cliché you've seen on other TV shows.

The story centers around a dragon, named Dragon, who was once a good friend with a Panda, named Panda, but was punished by Heaven because of his arrogance. He blames Panda and the rest of the forest animals for this, so he plans to take it over. All hope rests on one creature named Skunk, who is coincidentally a skunk. So Skunk must train and master the Kung Fu ways to defeat Dragon and save the forest. If the premise alone doesn't sound weak or bad enough to you, it only gets worse from here on out.

The first major issue with this show is the names of all the characters. I already pointed some of the names out, but you'll notice one thing very quickly in this show about the names. Every single name is the same name as the animal they are. Seriously, Panda is actually a panda. Skunk is a skunk. Baboon is a baboon and so on and so on. Would it have been too much trouble to come up with actual names like Leon, Billy Bob Jones, or something other than use the names of whatever animal the characters are? You just know a show is going to be bad when they can't come up with actual names for the characters.

Speaking of which, none of the characters on this show are likable, much less are they memorable. Every character on this show has only one personality trait and are completely underdeveloped. The only exception is for Dragon and why he's evil, but we don't see how he was "arrogant" like how the show says he was punished for being. Everybody else is no better at all. Panda is your stereotypical wise man. Rabbit is the generic tough guy who thinks he can do anything. Skunk is plain reckless and never truly learns anything. The Ninja Monkeys are brainless thugs. The list goes on and on. None of the characters are developed at all and are utterly forgettable as a whole.

Another issue with this show is that the plots for each episode are so repetitive. It's always Skunk having to learn some new move, Ninja Monkeys attack, Skunk uses move to win, he's congratulated, and just recycle. There's absolutely nothing else in this show and there are no two part episodes at all. The only episode that's slightly different is the one where Skunk pretends to be sick to miss out on a lesson. Aside from that, the show is so repetitive and may actually be more repetitive than Johnny Test.

The artwork in the show looks bad to say the least. The set designs are okay at best, but the character designs are just horrible to look at. Everyone has either really bad legs that get skinnier until they look like twigs. Fox looks like she has no stomach at all. Panda look less like a panda and more like a blob with arms and legs. Dragon looks more like a burnt snake or lizard than an actual dragon. It's like the creators have never seen any of these animals before or were just very lazy.

The animation is no better at all. The characters move very stiffly and have no real movements to them at all. When a fight scene happens, it seems all the characters move around like they're all having a seizure.

In the end, Skunk Fu is a very weak show that's not memorable in the tiniest bit. It could've made for something decent to watch, but the entire show is filled with characters who have no real personality or development, really bad artwork and animation, and repetitive story lines. If you want to watch something involving animals doing kung fu, then go see the Kung Fu Panda movies instead and forget this already unmemorable show.

A slick modern animation

Author: atomius from australia
7 October 2007

Skunk Fu! is about a skunk who is training in martial arts, a pupil of Panda, a martial arts trainer. He has several allies, all animals named like Fox, Killer Bees etc. The animation is of excellent quality and smooth, the plot tiring to the point of repetitive and somewhat unoriginal even though using original features. The title music is alright, and the opening and closing credits very well done, on par with those of Pitt and Kantrop. The show itself is a touch boring- but is alright for kids who don't want to try to appreciate something more complex- and is fairly entertaining. It's the kind of show that's good between two better ones- and isn't that bad. The characters aren't that complex, and rely mostly on several key characteristics, without much deepness to the plot. However this allows for a relaxing and enjoyable show. Not the best cartoon, but not a terrible one either. 5 stars

Never as cool and stylish as the credits suggest it could be but still good enough for the intended audience

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
13 August 2007

A long time ago, Dragon protected the valley but was punished by heaven for his arrogance. He blamed us. Now, trapped in his icy prison, he plots to destroy us. Our only hope might be Panda's pupil Skunk-Fu. "Balancing the earths and the heavens with the old wise Panda and a whole pack of brethrens. Fox, Rabbit, Pig, Snake and killer bees. Duck, Crane, Tiger fighting off Ninja Monkeys – and Baboon – that evil tyrant won't prevail over young Skunk's skills and that ill stink tail. Defender of the valley from the Dragon in the lake, using mind, body and soul with a fly-ass meditate".

Having recently massively enjoyed Shaun the Sheep in the same time slot, I was hoping that Skunk Fu would be a similar animation in how it appeals to adults as much as children. Sight unseen I set my video to record it daily for a few weeks before I finally sat to watch it and, on the basis of the credit sequence alone I must confess that I thought it was going to be wonderful. In fact, such a joy are the credits that they are worth a mention. Visually they are a fantastic mix of Oriental and flash animation cut together in a way that is stylish, slick and cool but it is the title music that stuck in my head. It isn't what you expect from an Irish children's animation on at 4 o'clock in the afternoon, but the credit sequence plays out under a great, if short, track recorded for the series by Ghostface Killah of the Wu Tang Clan.

Problem is though, the title sequence is so cool that it did mean my expectations of the show itself were maybe unfairly raised because, although enjoyable, the series didn't draw anywhere near as much laughter as I would have liked. However, I do acknowledge that I'm being unfair to it by expecting too much. For what it was, the show itself is quite funny because there are imaginative narrative devices put in there as well as several little touches that adults will appreciate more than their children. However there is not really enough of it to make it good enough for adults to really make a point of taping it in the way that many did with Shaun. This is not to say that it is not worth seeing though, because for target audience it is an enjoyable cartoon, with simple morality tales making up each story.

Visually it is bright and cheerful but understandably not as cool as the titles in that regard. The characters provide some comedy. Skunk is a cheerful sort and makes for a bright lead. Panda is well cast and fits well in a clichéd "old master" way but it is the support cast who provide some colour around the edges. Praying Mantis is a Christopher Walken impression of sorts for no real reason, Rabbit is gung-ho and is a bit like Han Solo (and indeed has some of his dialogue). Pig sounds like Bob Goldthwait (from the Police Academy) movies. Baboon is quite a good "sergeant-major" type but Dragon is better pitched to have genuine menace as the main "baddie".

It is rarely hilarious but I did enjoy it for what it was. The opening credit are by far the best part of it and adults will probably find there isn't enough for them to justify them watching more than a couple of times. For children and young teens though it will offer more because it does have a slightly adult edge (reminded me of Ren & Stimpy in some regards) but still also be clean, suitable and accessible for younger viewers. Wanted it to be cooler and smarter but it is still good entertainment for the intended audience.

The Art of Entertainment

Author: David Hicks from United Kingdom
25 September 2007

Skunk Fu! This show is basically about the adventures of a western Skunk, currently a kid, he learns the art of kung fu from a wise Panda. Skunk lives in a valley along with other animals. However, Panda used to be friends with Dragon, however, Dragon became trapped in a cave to the present day, and blames the animals in the valley for his arrogance. He now threatens to destroy the valley, by using a large group of 'Ninga Monkeys' and his own powers. It is up to the animals in the valley to stop Dragons attempts at destroying their habitat. At the moment Dragon appears to be the most powerful creature, and the only thing keeping him at bay from destroying the valley is the cave he is trapped in. However, Skunk is likely to be the animal that can out do Dragon, as he has a secret weapon no other animal possesses, the ability to create a noxious smell which can knock out all the animals in the valley and a good weapon against Dragon. Skunk however needs to learn how to control this.

When I first saw this advertised there was something about it that looked good. However I didn't take much notice of this until after the first two weeks of it being shown, since it looked cool on the ads I decided to watch one. I was not disappointed, in fact it was better than I thought it would have been. First you get the background story in flat-screen, then it opens to full with this really cool rap music in the opening titles. Then you get to the episodes themselves which are fantastic.

The animation style of this is beyond any other, I love the fact that they use a bright range of colours and you even get gradients being used (like on Skunk and Rabbitt) which works really well. The story lines are easy to follow which makes it more entertaining and the episodes have been kept relatively short which is good as it leaves you wanting more. I love the action sequences where the animals fight (usually against ninja monkeys).

Another great thing about this show is the humour. There is so much of it in this. Whether it is play on words or just humour through the animation there is humour to suit all audiences. Though this show may be designed for a child audience I think there is adult humour it this. I really like the character 'Rabbitt', who provides a lot of humour though his language, such as in one 'The Art of Revenge', he and Skunk have battled against monkeys and won, he then says, "pretty darn good", Skunk replies, "not bad yourself", then Rabbitt replies, "I was talking about myself". I think there is also humour in the way that the animals names are basically the names of the animals they are (e.g. Skunk is a skunk). In my opinion this has humour that not only suits kids but also adults and I think this show suits all audiences.

So this show has good animation and great comedy, but what I think makes it very unique from any other cartoon is the fact that the creators (Cartoon Saloon) have managed to make the star of the show Skunk, before Skunk Fu skunks were not the most liked animal and basically known as animals that 'smell'. Now after this we will think of skunks differently. Cartoon Saloon have managed to take an animal rarely used and create a star character in a fantastic show. That is what makes this show so unique. The voices used in this show are brilliant, I especially like the voice used for Baboon (leader of the ninja monkeys).

In my opinion I would give this a definite 10/10 and encourage everyone to see this. Skunk Fu is a whole new look on animated comedies. Well done to those that created this.

Skunk Fu-A Superb Animation for All Ages!

Author: banjomick from NE coast of Luton
2 August 2007

Well,I for one have been waiting for this animation to be aired on the TV for quite a while,was it worth the wait?

The hero of this animation is a young Skunk who is learning the 'Art of' Kung Fu from his Master,a wise old and often sleepy Panda! Each episode centres around Skunk and his friends Fox,Rabbit,Tiger and all who have to fight of the Evil Black Dragon and his Army of Ninja Monkeys.

The story lines are well thought out with humour that will appeal to all ages,often reminiscent of the old favourites but with a new twist.

The animation work is excellent with vivid colour schemes that make this animation stand out from the crowd on this point alone!

Well worth the wait in my opinion and well done to all concerned.

Skunk Fu!, instant Classic

Author: tommypezmaster from United States
23 October 2007

This show is absolutely terrific. It took the idea of animals we know and made it better with great characters like Panda, Ox, Bird and Baboon! This isn't your average flash animated series. This is actually better and more interesting than Gym Partner. That is why the networks hurry up and purchase the rights to it before Nicktoons air more junk to make people forget shows like this!, like rarer shows, was never intended to be a kiddy show! Don't even think about watching junk like CatDog! Nobody desire to watch that one! But, seriously, this is a great series and I'm wish to know why it was removed.

This is a great show ever made.