IMDb > Midnight Son (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Midnight Son More at IMDbPro »

Hidden Gem

Author: RockDragon from Canada
25 October 2011

Got to see this at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival. Wasn't really expecting a whole lot, as these are generally low budget movies. Except, this film ended up being the type that transcends the need for a large budget.

Can a movie about Vampires feel plausible? This one can. Everything was done with subtlety and grace, there was no need for suspension of disbelief. There were no unbelievable premises, sparkles or holy water.

Ultimately, there are lots of issues that could be applied allegorically to this particular brand of vampirism. It could have been a story about AIDS, Drug Addiction or Religious Zealots. Any condition, communicable, debilitating and ostracizing.

The casting was great, characters seemed organic and multifaceted. Everyone has their flaws and they are better for it. This is a gritty, raw film which never treats the audience like idiots. Never causes one to ask why, or shake their head in idle disbelief. It is smart and honest, authentic and unyielding.

A great first full length effort which will hopefully propel the careers of all involved.

Here we go again

Author: Perry Bee from On a distant star
26 June 2012

I have been a fan of vampire films since I was young, and grew up with the classic vampire myths, no day walkers, no fighting werewolf's and no teenage never die over the top Hollywood type of films. Sure there are some great films about bloodsuckers that had huge budgets, great cast. great script, and then there are all those oh so forgettable cheap teen kiss love over the top vampire films of late, but this small budget B grade film fits in with the better ones.

Don't sit there and wait for a well know actor to show up, the acting is kind of stiff at times, not to much blood, but those short comings are well made up for with a fresh new story line, sure it sort of grabs bits of other films, but it still stands by it self.

It is well paced, direct to the point, and a whole lot better then some of the garbage of late, give it a go! I gave it a 7 out of 10

Captures the Desperation of Loneliness. This is the adult drama that Twilight should have been.

Author: leonthesleepy from Singapore
6 July 2012

Making an absorbing drama film in this day in age is a tough job, let alone a Vampire drama.

In an age where the mainstream craves for constant action and visual effects, or shallow drama's with their favorite teen stars, Midnight Son is a burning example of an emotional and captivating drama.

It isn't flashy, it isn't filled with actors you would know, it is instead filled with grounded performances, and people, instead of caricatures.

First, i want to address the comparison to Twilight. Don't worry, this is NOTHING like Twilight, and i wont spoil anything, but i have to admit, the setting is pretty similar, even the main character looks eerily like Jasper.

In Twilight, we have Edward, a vampire masquerading as a teenager to fit in, in which he falls in love with Bella, beginning 4 novels of shallow wants and needs, without ever showing what it means to be a vampire.

In Midnight Sons case, its the same premise, except without the fake glamor, and watered down drama. It focuses on the transformation, and the slow realization of the impossible happening, as well as the consequences.

Midnight Son for the most part, is a character study on its lead,Jacob.

Jacob is an outsider.

He sleeps in the day, works the night shift as security. Since young, he developed a disease in which sunlight hurts his skin. As a result, loneliness became his daily function.

For the bulk of the film, it isn't just an exploration of the vampire lore, it explore the people behind them.

On one of his nights, his rare conditions starts acting up, he seeks help, after exhausting common methods, he goes for more drastic measures.

A slow realistic buildup is the name of the game here.

Midnight Son never feels false, Jacob is entirely self aware of how ridiculous being a vampire sounds. So he proceeds with caution. Upon a chance encounter, he meets a local bartender, who is just as broken as he is.

The performances all around are brilliant, with a strangely personal performance by Zak Kilberg, Jacob. He balances dread, danger and sincerity flawlessly, and becomes the films driving force. Pacing is strong as well, we never delve too long on a plot point, and the story never stalls.

The supporting cast is uniformly strong as well, from the love interest to the smallest roles, the craftsmanship here is impressive, and not just from a low budget perspective.

Again, the less you know of this film, the better. Jacobs journey is one of both warmth and sadness. The tones switch masterfully, due in no small part to its atmospheric score, and the love plot has a constant danger to it, something the entire Twilight series lacked.

Filmed in a documentary style, this is a no nonsense, at times brutal approach to vampire lore.

Its mature serious atmosphere is reminiscent of other greats like Let The Right One In.

There aren't much flaws to this gem, other than the fact its a small scale film, and the realistic art style isn't the most attractive, and visually, it could be more inventive, as its the only aspect that comes off as low budget. Though it does lend to the films realistic tone.

Other than its visuals, its low budget aesthetic never distracts.

In a perfect world, this would be the cultural phenomenon that Twilight is. If you want an adult drama about real people, with real emotions, consequences and danger, pick this one up. Even if you aren't into vampire lore, the drama here is certainly for anyone who can stomach it.

Hopefully it finds the right audiences and is appreciated for the mature, sincere adult drama that it is.

Highly recommended.

Jewel of the Festival

Author: lisacarrera from United States
16 June 2011

Watched this last night at San Francisco's Hole in the Head Festival held at the Roxie Theater. Film way exceeded my expectations. Love the needling pace that works on the mind and builds tension, slowly, throughout. Well-acted. Great casting. Main actor reminded me of a more soul-less Robert Pattison. Clever storyline for an old world theme. A few scenes were abruptly edited but as a whole seemed to work as it left a lot to the imagination. I felt chills run up my spine and eked out a few edge-of-the-seat screams as I grabbed the arm of the guy sitting next to me. Would definitely see this film again. Highly recommended.

Excellent.

Author: crayonzero from Ireland
10 March 2013

An excellent, atmospheric and brooding horror film with a soul. This is not a cheap and tacky gore fest, it is a sharply written and engaging story of a young man who develops a condition that utterly changes his life.

The lead actor, Zac Killberg, inhabits his role totally. He is surely a massive name in the making, the other parts are all solid and convincing. The director, Scott Leberecht is now on my film stalker list. I'll hunt down his next film eagerly.

It is appalling that a film like this is barely heard of while utter drivel like "Transformers" rakes in the millions.

It deserves to be widely seen, so see it.

Slow starter but brilliant at the end.

Author: madsimon from Bristol
13 January 2013

First part of the movie is slow. I was watching it thinking is it actually going to be any good or maybe it's another cheap try on very popular recently subject. It looks cheap but not ridiculous thanks to a very decent acting (especially from Jo D. Jonz). The movie eventually is gripping you and the second part is very good and some shots are just brilliant. There are few details/mistakes that slipped or points that could have been resolved in a more logical way but they don't spoil the movie. I was expecting certain mood and atmosphere in this film and watching it in a cinema really helped. It seems to be inspired by "Addiction" by Abel Ferrara. The director shows lots of potential and I can't wait for another one to see if he can prove it.

A Vampire Romance

Author: billcr12 from United States
31 August 2012

Jacob works a night shift as a security guard in a building in Los Angeles. He has a rare skin condition, preventing him from being able to be out in the daylight. He develops a need for blood, which he satisfies at first, by getting it from a butcher. His body soon rejects the animal source and he finds a way to buy the human variety from a street hustler. He meets Mary, a strange girl selling candy and cigarettes outside a club. They begin an offbeat romance of sorts, and the first time they try to have sex, Jake's eyes turn cat like, and Mary leaves. When she returns and sees paintings of sunsets, she asks to take one home. An art gallery is shown the work, and Mary convinces him to let her try to sell them at a show. In the meantime, the vampire artist/security guard, struggles to obtain fresh blood. The romance is on again, off again, as the odd couple dance around the truth. The story is a standard one with two very good performances by Zak Kilberg and Maya Parish. They have chemistry, and made me want to see them make it and survive their troubles. It is certainly a step above the Twilight series of Stephenie Meyer.

Terrible Marketing Campaign, Good Movie

Author: gavin6942 from United States
18 July 2012

The story of a young man confined to a life of isolation, due to a very rare skin disorder. His world changes when he meets a local bartender and falls in love.

I have to get this off my chest: this film is not "Twilight". For some reason, someone decided to make the movie cover and the text on the back of the box imply that this was a "Twilight" ripoff. It is not. In fact, the romance is a relatively small part of the film compared to the man's struggle with his illness.

Why the box did not emphasize this better storyline or that it starred Arlen Escarpeta ("Friday the 13th") is beyond me. Nor did they mention that the executive producer is Eduardo Sanchez ("Blair Witch Project"), who is getting to be quite a respected figure in the world of cinema.

I am torn on whether this film is good or not. I liked it, I think it has potential and was made very well, but then it has one possible problem: plot holes. Not plot holes in the sense that things did not make sense, simply that they were left out. I do not want to get into spoilers, but I will say the illness is rather mysterious, as is a night nurse's extracurricular activities. Both could have been explained more, but were not. (Perhaps they are in the commentary, I have not checked yet.)

I give this film an endorsement, but only a minor one. There are enough films out there that there is no rush for this one. But for those who like the more biological approach to vampirism, this may be worth checking out. It could make a good double feature with "Martin".

Better than Twilight

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
12 April 2015

MIDNIGHT SON is an ultra low budget obscurity about a mild-mannered young man, hanging out on the streets of Los Angeles at night, who comes to discover that his rare skin condition (he burns in sunlight) is actually vampirism. The film follows two separate paths, following the guy's coming to terms with his real nature alongside his developing romance with an equally damaged drug addict.

For a really low budget film set within an overworked sub-genre, MIDNIGHT SON is a surprisingly decent little movie. It helps that the script is smart and literate, but it's the likable actors who really make you pay attention to this one. Zak Kilberg is fine and sympathetic as the newly fledged vampire while Maya Parish is heartbreaking as the object of his affections.

Although romance plays a big part in MIDNIGHT SON, the story is so dark and brooding that I didn't mind. This is much, much better than the big budget nonsense of TWILIGHT, filled as it was with silly scenes and bad acting; MIDNIGHT SON is much more realistic and downbeat. I particularly liked the evocative soundtrack, full of held notes and distorted sounds which add to the sense of growing unease.

Infuses fresh new blood into a tired genre....

Author: ccmiller1492 (ccmiller1492@yahoo.com) from Fairfax, VA
4 August 2014

Lately the vampire genre has been done to death, with long-running TV series, etc. But somehow, this fine little film has slipped through the cracks, while infusing new blood into the tired formula. I had no expectation of this film being anywhere near as good as it is...but now I would rank it among the best in the genre which boasts very few good entries beyond some of the classic treatments based on the original Bram Stoker novel such as "Brides of Dracula", and the rarer contemporary updates such as "Vampire at Midnight", and "Blood and Donuts"

Zak Killberg's is surely the most realistic and sympathetic portrayals of any of these films...his depiction of the confusion, fear, hesitation, and abysmal lack of self-esteem and loneliness as he struggles to cope with his "illness" and its consequences is nothing less than masterful. It is obvious that this young man is a great actor not yet discovered. His own personality as revealed in an interview extra on the DVD is nothing like the character he so brilliantly portrays in the film. Killberg is upbeat and confident. Contrast his own character with the persona he portrayed and it seems worthy of an Oscar! This is certainly a film that deserves a much greater audience and it may very likely become a treasured cult film in future. Hopefully viewers will have the opportunity to see much more of Mr. Killberg in future..