IMDb > The Class (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Entre les murs

The Class More at IMDbPro »Entre les murs (original title)

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

it's your own time you are wasting

Author: CountZero313 from Japan
14 March 2013

A teacher with a vocational sense of duty takes a pastoral interest in his multi-ethnic class of Parisian teenagers.

The Class is both powerful human drama and a treatise on the nature of mandatory education. A vibrant, diverse group of inner city pupils assert their individuality day-to-day in ways that sometimes please their teacher, and ofttimes challenge his authority. The teacher, Marin (real-life teacher François Bégaudeau) has his work cut out for him, spending more time dealing with the agendas of his charges than on any content input. The cinema verite style makes this seem more like reality TV or documentary, and compels you to engage with personalities you'd rather avoid. Or perhaps forget, because the film so encapsulates classroom culture that it is impossible not to recall your own educational experiences, and that is a raw sore for many of us. As Ken Robinson said, the thing about an education is that we've all had one and feel entitled to offer an opinion, hence the debates raging around this film on this forum and elsewhere. (By way of example, read Roger Egbert's review, where he slides off into a tangent, a painful reminiscence of his own sense of futility in the classroom).

The film refuses to take sides and so purposely engenders debate. I found myself recalling the dysfunctional classrooms of my own youth, while also reaffirming respect for any teacher who undertakes high school teaching in current times (writing this from Japan where "classroom breakdown" is a major concern). I read the film as suggesting that these individuals would treat each other differently in a different environment, and so the classroom is an experiment that does not always work.

A worthy film, with a refreshing approach to narrative.

Unconventional but Realistic Take on the Education System

Author: Kong Ho Meng
24 November 2012

Terrific film and probably amongst the best films on education i have seen so far. Whats so unique about this film (and probably the reason why it won the cannes palma award) is that it is a real reflection on the happenings in everyday classroom within a school year. It doesn't need to rely on a series of events or plots, or the need for a happy or sad ending. As what u will see throughout are unrelated sequences, but all the more so, events that show a very realistic portrayal of the interaction, challenges and the social behaviour among teachers and students.

All of these cannot be possible if the main actor and screenplay writer is not played by the person who wrote the book and was a teacher himself. Clearly he does not need to act at all to bring out 100% of what he intended to convey the message to the audience. But still, it is a magnificent feat to produce a film of this quality, as if directly shot from a classroom in real life! Moreover, he is not afraid to reveal the weaknesses of teachers. We all know that teachers are human and sometimes we hated them too.

There was a critical mistake his character made in the film, causing an unnecessary loss, and there was no attempt at all to find a proper remedy other than to stick to the the system -- this just make the film even more realistic, as in real life, how many teachers will actually be brave enough to act otherwise? Not many films manage to reflect on the challenges faced by teachers, and the conflicts they face with their students, and the conflicts the students have with the school. Probably this is the first successful masterpiece to link all that

An interesting--but discouraging--film

Author: Red-125 from Upstate New York
23 October 2012

The French film Entre les murs was shown in the U.S. with the title The Class (2008). The film was co-written and directed by Laurent Cantet. It's based on a book written by François Bégaudeau, who plays himself in the movie. (He's called François Marin.)

The movie presents a school year in an inner city Parisian middle school. The film is a work of fiction, but its actors are real students, who improvised much of the dialog.

The Class is discouraging, because the year is full of friction rather than learning. The students, many of whom are immigrants, are underprivileged and seemingly unprepared. They spend most of their time and energy challenging their teacher.

François, in turn, doesn't respond well to their challenges. He's never able to establish a relationship with the students that would suggest "we're all in this together." He uses sarcasm when honesty would be better, and verbal attack when kindness would be better.

The situation is sad, because nobody gains anything. The students appear to be basically decent young people. However, it struck me that they're dissatisfied with French society and their place within it. The closest representative of French society in their lives is their teacher, and their basic reaction is to push hard against him.

François appears to be a basically decent person and teacher, but he just doesn't seem to be able to deal with the students in a way that would satisfy them and him.

No one wins, everyone loses, and in the next school year the same cycle will continue. The movie presents many, many questions, but no answers.

Entre les murs was shown as part of the excellent Rochester Labor Film Festival. It takes place almost entirely within the classroom, so it will work well on the small screen. It's definitely worth seeing, but you'll probably feel discouraged--as I did--after you see it.

Realistic and educational; Yes - Entertaining and thrilling; not so much..

Author: TheTrueDeMesa from Denmark
20 June 2012

If you're looking for a slice-of-life, documentary style film about the subject matter - this one hits all the marks, I guess. The acting and technical elements of the film are also just fine, and it does have some really great moments, but...

My problem with the film, is that it just isn't that entertaining - the "dramatic" episode that the film revolves around isn't very dramatic - I've seen a lot more exiting stuff going down in the school where I grew up in Denmark - and let me tell you - not a whole lot went down there either...

And considering how little actually happens, 2 hours is way too long to keep things interesting.

Kind of punch

Author: Armand from Romania
12 November 2011

School system. A brilliant teacher. And the class. Fragments of society. A movie about good intentions and sick universe. Fights and waves of a war. Half documentary, half description of fall. And many faces. Of same problem, with many names but same essence. Steps of surrounding, it is only a empty circle. In France, USA or Romania. The integration problem or identity as delicate question in global village are crumbs. Important is the place. The place of teacher and class, the place of knowledge and punishment, the sketches of future more than symbolic projects. It is a film about naked school. And about education as large Red See. Nothing more. So, it is difficult to define it. Palme d'Or is a small stamp for a letter about disintegration of a way to be. A movie like a punch. Or lead carpet.

Fresh and thoughtful

Author: Imdbidia from Planet Earth
3 March 2011

A French film, a real-documentary look alike, that shows the daily life of a Paris secondary school located in a multiracial and very poor neighborhood. It focuses on the French Language lessons, the teacher that delivers them, and the students attending. Oddly enough, the actor playing the teacher is the author of the novel on which the script is based, who told in the novel his real experiences as teacher in a French college.

The subject is, a priori, not very interesting, really, but there is plenty of stories, of emotion, of real people and real problems presented in a fresh way, and that's always engaging. At the beginning I thought that I couldn't stand the 2 hours of footage, but it surprised me that time flew.

I liked the portray of the teachers' problems in such an environment, the rebellious character and behavior of the students and their lack of interest in learning in general, and in Language in particular, and their lack of respect for the authority of any teacher. I think these are contemporary universal issues, and that's why the film can interest anybody not only French people. I also liked that it offered both sides of the coin, not just the teacher's or the students' only, and none of them appear as good or bad, but both.

All the actors are terrific, especially the young amateur ones playing the students, who play their roles with great conviction; perhaps because they are playing themselves sometimes.

The main defects of the film to me are 1/ that there is no substantial plot 2/ that the boundaries between fiction and reality are so weak that an uninformed viewer may think he/she is watching a documentary, which is what the film actually seems to be. I also missed in the story that there was barely any mention to the private life of the teachers, which could have given the story more dramatic depth and complete and counteract the glimpses we get about the personal lives of the students, which are a few.

Still, a terrific film.

"Illuminating examination..."

Author: Sindre Kaspersen from Norway
21 February 2011

In French screenwriter and director Laurent Cantet's fourth feature film which in 2008 became the first French film since Maurice Pialat's "Sous le Soleil de Satan" (1987) to receive the Palme d'Or, sparks randomly occur in a multicultural class filled with hormonal teenagers, but these sparks also create a shimmering collective identity.

In a Paris suburb Francois Begaudeau wishes his old and new students welcome to a new school year. With fresh humor and a noble goal about educating his students in the best possible way Francois opens the first hour, but it doesn't take much time before the secondary school students put their French teacher up against the wall with all kinds of challenging questions.

The year after Francois Begaudeau had worked at a secondary school in Paris he wrote a book about his experiences as a teacher called "Entre Les Murs". Later on his book was discovered by director Laurent Cantet who had been wanting to make a film about teachers and students for a long time. In the book "Entre Les Murs", Laurent Cantet found the material he needed for his film and in time he realized that the writer was tailored for the lead role in "The Class", which explores topics such as independence, ethnicity, pedagogic methods, self-expression, identity, respect, discipline, cultural differences, class differences, personal development and immigration.

This illuminating examination of a modern school society where the teaching methods are not working quite as intended, brings the viewer to the inside of a classroom and depicts the students relation to the school system and the teachers demanding task of motivating them to take their education seriously. The acting is surprisingly good from all participants, and the heartfelt interpretations from the unprofessional actors who had to improvise several of their scenes, strengthens Laurent Cantet's credible portrayal. As a viewer one believes in the teacher's tenacity and the students' opposition, and the more one become involved in the energetic debates, the harder it gets to choose side. Even though the teacher is an articulate man with noble intents, the students often make pointed arguments which are just as reasonable and thought out. Many essential questions are raised in this substantial and realistic depiction of everyday life where one and all are equals.

A Real Classroom

Author: Mike B from Canada
28 November 2010

There are pluses and minuses in this film. It struck me as very real and gave a portrait of teaching that was at times harrowing. If you plan or want to be a teacher watch this.

No one is saving the world in this classroom – it's a day-to-day struggle amid the insulting confrontations. There is no sugar-coating and no students are rescued (Hollywood-style) from the depths of the slum to achieve greatness. It's easy to see, when watching this, why teaching is a profession noted for a 'burn-out'. It's not an easy job and it has a lot of trials and little tribulations.

However this movie is more like an existential classroom – there is no story-line – it's just day to day in a classroom with teacher and parental meetings tossed in. It's almost like a documentary cinema-verite style.

The Class

Author: Threnos from Australia
22 November 2010

From the title of the movie and the description on the back you go into the movie thinking you know what will happen, thinking this is another 'teacher wins over the students' kind of film. But that kind of plot is used when a film strives for entertainment leaving behind what actually happens in a classroom or a school. This is very realistic; you could be sitting at a desk at the side of the room and watching the schoolroom banter, and even at times trying to learn.

Set in a school that takes in children from the poorer areas of Paris that includes many immigrants this class is made up of a colorful and diverse array of students: a cocktail of many types that I had come across when at school. This is how we can relate to the movie; we have been in or seen many of the scenarios, the types of characters, and the methods used by certain teachers. Not necessarily in the same class but at some point in our education.

Mr. Marin, the teacher, never seems to get a hold on the class. Someone will always disagree, or not understand or they won't listen and will become preoccupied with something or someone else. And we may become irritated, just like the teacher or another student trying to learn, but we also understand not everyone in a class is equal. Not everyone can learn or wants to learn and certainly not everyone will learn, especially in such a mixed class as this. One teacher cannot suit everyone's learning capabilities or preferences. And this movie doesn't pretend that they can.

There are some questionable decisions as to the roles of some of the students which may have been used to nudge the story on, and the dialogue between the teachers is fairly stale after the lively classroom discussions, but for any student 'teacher-to-teacher' talk would most likely be boring too. What this movie ultimately represents is my six years of high school in one class, dealing specifically with the theme of identity and the battle between teacher and student respect. Some people will say they've had classes exactly like this, some like me will see it as a microcosm of their school-life, and others may not find it familiar at all; but there's no doubting its realistic simulation of the classroom.

Lively but lacks the rhythm of the book

Author: aFrenchparadox from United Kingdom
21 September 2010

It seems to be an unsolvable challenge to adapt a book into a film. To be fair, the film is pretty good and gives you the measure of the gap between the teachers's world and expectations and their students' life. It gives you also the measure of how a job that should fulfil you (teaching is not quite the kind of career you choose by default) can finally leave you full of bitterness. But the two hours are just not long enough to build up the rhythm you can find in the book. I especially missed this repetition of events which demystify the teacher's job, appearing then as just as repetitive and sometimes boring as any other random job. This repetition is also quite fundamental of why the tension between Souleymane and his teacher are turning so bad. All the times they actually ended in the head teacher's office contribute to the escalation; it didn't just go from one relatively minor incident to a major one. I also missed the second class Bégaudeau describes in his book. Where you have much more of something which is slightly neglected too: those students you just don't know what you can do to help them given the width of the gap. The sadness mixed with condescension he shows for them is an important component of the book. . It gets mirrored by the affection you can develop for those students who are not always behaving but who you forgive easily because they're brighter. For all these things it couldn't be as great the book. But can a film ever be as good as the book it's inspired from?

Just a note because I am stubborn and slightly resentful sometimes: I still don't get why this got rated 15 in the UK. Especially since I realized today the two 'Mesrine' got rated the same... They got to explain me this. In the contrary as a French mother this was a great sharing time.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]