IMDb > Footloose (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Footloose

Footloose More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Footloose 2011 brings back home the Bacon!

Author: ArtandJoyofMovies from United States
20 October 2011

A terrific remake on par with the original from 1984 with Kevin Bacon. TMG generally scorns remaking good films, but this one hits the mark. It helps greatly that newbie Kenny Wormald started dancing when he was only six years old. The story is exactly the same. So is most of the music. Dennis Quaid takes the role of the father-preacher held in the original by John Lithgow and does a decent job. So why does this film work so well again? The dancing is literally off the wall great. Visit ArtandJoyofMovies.com and listen to America's No.1 radio show on movies.

The Footloose story is loosely based upon the history of Elmore City, Oklahoma, not the fictional city of Bomont, Midwest Somewhere. While Elmore had banned dancing for 100 years until high school kids changed things in 1980, both 1984 and 2011 versions are based upon a ban arising from a tragic car accident after a party five years earlier. All said, the story plays second fiddle to the dancing and music. Great film? Maybe not. Great entertainment? You bet. TMG loved it!

ugh

Author: shalimar-4 from Canada
7 February 2012

Sorry.. but aside from a few moments.. it's a very very sad misguided bad attempt at the original.

#1.. pro dancers s "real" characters... that alone sunk it.

#2.. horribly unneeded remakes of original songs... really???? #3.. BS "acting" from above mentioned pro dancers. They can dance.. no one will argue.. but god help them when they try to act.

etc etc..

Sorry but HORRIBLE is the end result for those of us that know better.. and have lived it.

Elaboration beyond this is a waste of typing other than as a warning to those knowing the original and contemplating this POS.

Oh and "DonFishies" nailed it for the last paragraph... possibly the only real redeeming performance.. sad as I am to say it.. :(

Surprisingly entertaining, even though it's a remake.

Author: Matthew Day (day310m@yahoo.com) from United States
14 October 2011

So, I won't lie, I went into this movie very skeptical and scoffing at the idea of a remake of Footloose. After seeing it advertised endlessly and not generally being interested, I only went with friends because it was one of the few movies we could agree on. Two hours later, however, I walked of the theater with a grin from ear to ear.

This might be attributed to the great atmosphere in the theater; between my friends and everyone else there, we were all having a great time laughing and cheering and commenting on things. However, the movie itself was quite entertaining as well. Without going into to much detail, this is Footloose, almost just like you knew it, just in the modern day and with new actors. Not all of the actors are perfect, but, as a whole, they have a charm about them that makes you like them.

The dancing, obviously, is wonderful. Almost all the dance scenes are energetic and interesting, filled with some great moves from all cast members. The music, while still retaining some of the classics, is updated with mixed results. Not all of the songs are as fun as the originals but it is understandable for the modern tone here.

On a bad note, though, there are some parts of the film that aren't the best. Some plot holes (a character getting arrested but showing up later) and a story we all already know by heart don't make the plot anything to write home about. There are also some questionable scenes that feel odd in how they were updated (I'm looking at you new "tractor race" and solo dance in the warehouse).

Overall, though, I had a blast. I laughed, I jived as much as my seat would allow me, and I genuinely had a good time which is what I went to the movies for in the first place. I'm not sure why everyone is being so hard on this movie; it's quit a good adaptation that brings Footloose's energy and excitement to a new generation. If you go in with an open mind, and fun-loving people, expect to have a blast; just don't hope for anything new.

I liked it, its a remake, its fresh!

Author: ylopez4-1 from United States
18 October 2011

So I went with an open mind to see this, since I am such a fan of the Original movie Footloose, I actually Liked it, the main guy playing Kevin Bacon's character, Ren he was cool and SUPER CUTE! love that smile, he can dance, he has that sexy Boston Accent,call me LOL I mean it was for real there were not stunt doubles or anything like that. The Girl playing Ariel Moore (hough) she's really pretty, and a great dancer, it doesn't really surprise me if her brother (Derek Hough) is one of the dancers from (DWTS) lol, anyways it was a fresh look towards the modern version to the original, The guy that played willard was amazing, he played Chris Penn's character to a T, he was funny, naive, and refreshing.... I really liked it, I am sorry who doesn't well then either go with an open mind or don't go at all.. you definitely have to have an open mind for remakes, because if not then you are constantly going to be comparing it to the original and thats not fair....... LOL its good. :) plus i am a sucker for dancing movies...........

Can't Touch the Original But It's Good

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
7 December 2012

Footloose (2011)

*** (out of 4)

Remake of the 1984 cult classic about a small town who pretty much shuts down all alcohol, loud music and dancing after five seniors are killed in a car crash after a party. Soon a guy from Boston (Kenny Wormald) coming to town and wanting to see things changed. He ends up involved with a troubled young girl (Julianne Hough) who just happens to be the daughter of the preacher (Dennis Quaid) keeping everything under control. There's not a single frame in this remake that comes close to the appeal of the first movie but based on its own merits, this here really isn't too bad and it's entertaining enough to make it worth sitting through once but if you're unfamiliar with the Kevin Bacon version then that's definitely the one to start with. There were a few problems with this version including the fact that the film really drags at 112-minutes. The movie feels quite long at times and especially the final thirty-minutes when things turn a bit too slow. Also, you have to take into consideration that this is pretty far from original as it's basically just a straight remake, although this one here updates some of the music. Still, for the most part I found the story to be entertaining and the characters, while not as good as in the original, fun enough to make this worth sitting through. I thought Wormald did a pretty good job in the lead, although that annoying Boston accent seemed to come and go in ever scene. Hough made for a good good girl trying to be bad. Quaid was fun in his supporting role and we even get Andie McDowell playing his wife. The rest of the teens fit their roles nicely. The music here is another plus as it sticks to some old stuff as well as mixing in the new while also sampling from many genres. This remake of FOOTLOOSE certainly wasn't needed and as I said it doesn't improve on a single thing but it's still an entertaining movie.

Why Do People Always Say The Original Is Better?

Author: Matt S from United States
13 October 2012

This is not a full review of the movie, as I would hope everyone knows the premise of Footloose!

The original is a modern classic. But I would have to say that, after seeing the original again last night, I am really impressed with the remake.

Overall, the characters are more believable and the set-up for the story, the reason why Ren ended up in the town, the death of the son in the car accident and the impact it had on the family is just more believable to me.

Sure, Kevin Bacon, overall plays a better Ren. But Kenny Wormald did a great job too... looked great and can DANCE! It must be hard to play such an iconic character that is associated with one particular actor.

My one nark is that Julianne Hough is too old to play a high-schooler.

So, don't get too emotional, looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses. Rewatch the original (For the movie - not reminiscing about the memories it invokes) and you might just be impressed with the new version.

not buying

Author: random-jaime from Canada
16 December 2011

the original was better! the mad dance scene was terrible. that has always been my favorite part of the movie. i grew up watching the original at least once a month and was looking forward to seeing the remake. classic's just should NOT be remade! Kevin Bacon was a better dancer as was the rest of the cast from the original, i had wished with all my heart to be able to dance like them. and this remake just breaks my heart. dancing movies are brilliant. footloose, step up, step up 2, save the last dance, take the lead, 7 brides for 7 brothers. why couldn't they just make a new movies with new plots. i hope they smarten up and stop remaking the classic's

Entertaining, but not necessarily exciting

Author: raisleygordon from Ladson, SC
30 October 2011

"Footloose" is a pleasant-enough movie as it is, but I think it could have used tougher material and characters with more depth. We don't get nearly enough scenes involving the priest. Even if he is an obvious character, he still could, would and should have given the movie some juice. Ren, the character previously played by Kevin Bacon, isn't as troubled as you'd expect him to be, or as he should have been. With the title "Footloose", I expected something more. And I also wanted more dancing, too. The only dancing that's offered here comes during the opening titles, the last scene of the movie, and somewhere after dancing has been outlawed. If this is supposed to be a "musical", then the movie really falls short. I was moderately entertained, but not necessarily surprised. On another note, doesn't Ren's girlfriend remind you of Ellen Pompeo? And a little of Jennifer Aniston? **1/2 out of ****

Give me the original!

Author: wendyluhardy from United States
22 October 2011

I can't believe I wasted $7.50 last night to see this horrendous remake of "Footloose," but I was desperate to see a movie and nothing good was playing at the $1.50 theater. Why can't Hollywood leave remakes alone? Are screenwriters nowadays that unoriginal? Even though I felt that the 1984 film had a lame script (and acting), I loved the score, dancing, and scenery and the movie remains one of my favorite "guilty pleasures." Dean Pitchford wrote this script, which is almost a carbon copy of the original movie. Most of the same songs were used but were "updated." The only big difference is that the two leads--Kenny and Julianna--can actually dance whereas Kevin Bacon and Lori Singer couldn't (or at least not much). I'm still fuming at wasting all my money last night and would have walked out if I had paid only $1.50. Sorry to be so harsh in this review but I was not impressed. But I do hope that a better "dancing movie" comes along for Kenny and Julianna, because they are terrific dancers.

A Nutshell Review: Footloose

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
25 October 2011

No music no life, and for some, it's no dance no life. My memory of Footloose back in the 80s when I first saw it as a young boy, was Kevin Bacon, and the nifty dance moves that he did not perform. So do we need another remake to correct that, through the casting of a proper dancer in the lead role? In many ways this film by Craig Brewer is unnecessary, being nothing other than a platform to launch or further the acting careers of the multi-talented lead cast, and to satisfy his inner geek of coming up with his own vision of one of his favourite films, but in reality I'd rather stick to the Kevin Bacon version please, even if it meant having a stunt dance double twirl around the screen. It's almost as good as the original, almost, but lacking a little bit of its own soul since it's a superficial copy at best.

There's no major change to the structure of the story, set in a small town where loud music and public dancing are banned, following a tragedy involving the accident and deaths of a few high school kids after a dance party fueled by alcohol, and the knee jerk reaction to this is to outright ban such activity, obtaining the stamp of approval by the town's pastor Rev. Shaw Moore (Dennis Quaid) to impose a tight rein on morals, enforced by the cop with an attitude Herb (Jayson Warner Smith). But as we know all too well, what you ban never really stays away, as all you do is to force it underground, which the young and the rebellious would take to like fish to water.

As a teenage/young adult film, themes like challenging the status quo, or authoritative figures, is never quite far off, and usually it takes an outsider to come into a closed community to shake things up a little, and wake people up from their slumber of complacency. This change agent and catalyst comes in the form of Ren MacCormack (Kenny Wormald) who following the death of his mom and the unknown whereabouts of his dad, made the trek from Boston to his relatives in Bomont, looking very must the angst-filled young man coming with plenty of family and emotional baggage and looking for any outlet he can to release pent up frustration, from a souped up Beetle, to of course, loud music and dance. Being told he can't do any of it means a set up for a rage against the system.

But before that comes the romantic aspects in the form of the village bicycle, so ironically the preacher's daughter herself Ariel Moore (Julianne Hough) who parties like there's no tomorrow, and with a token red neck, race car boyfriend Chuck Cranston (Patrick John Flueger) in tow who doesn't like that Ren can dance into the heart of his woman. So begins the love triangle, and the usual plotting about having a best friend (Miles Teller) who can't dance but can do so after a training montage.

In essence you'll know just what to expect since the story's basically the same, about not judging a book by his cover, where the townsfolk slowly realize that Ren's pretty much the harmless guy despite his macho exterior. I mean, the guy dances, and dances well, and Kenny Wormald has the advantage of being a professionally trained dancer to pull this role off convincingly, though it would be a stretch if one considers this film to be his calling card ala what Saturday Night Fever did for John Travolta. Having Juliianne Hough play that romantic interest also seemed like a logical choice given her career thus far, and undoubtedly these two look great together whenever they heat up the dance floor, be it improvised numbers, or conforming to the steps of a line dance.

Unfortunately that's about the best parts of the film, although the dances with their stylish choreography somewhat pales in comparison in just about any big budgeted Bollywood film item number. There are some nice attempts at enriching the plot, but these remains just attempts as a number of scenes just fly by for the sake of, such as the drug incident at the library and the aftermath with the school principal, or the very fleeting non-discussion between separation of church and state, which will work as timely reminders for the religious over-zealous folks around us, that it's almost always counter-productive if one gets pushy in wanting everyone to adopt one's moral compass. Unnecessary distraction in the form of Ren's car having its hood appear and disappear also inferred scenes got shifted around because of indecision.

It's a good thing nobody had the insane idea of reworking the theme song for Footloose, but given the country version covered by Blake Sheldon, I'd still say, like the film, to give me the original please, with Kenny Loggins. Strictly meant for those who haven't seen the original or the fanbase of Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough, otherwise go dig up the original.

Page 8 of 12: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]