IMDb > Water for Elephants (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 27: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

Rosie gets her man.

Author: gkeith_1
16 April 2014

Rosie is one smart elephant. She understands Polish commands; not really commands, but gentle suggestions. She performs her 'answers' on cue. She is perfect. This is in sharp contrast to that brute, August, who beats her and stabs her with all the grace of a Neanderthal psycho ignoramus. Elephants never forget, so it is said, so Rosie eventually doles out her own intelligent solution upon the evil August.

August is cruel to animals and people. He may physically abuse his wife. It looks that way, but I don't remember actually seeing it. She knows she has to do what he says. Meanwhile, he throws employees from the train because of budgetary problems. It is the Great Depression. I know from my own historical studies that circuses struggled financially in that time period. Some of these employees were killed upon impact with the ground or sharp rocks. August could not pay them their salaries, so he just dumped them.

Robert Pattinson was wonderful as younger Jacob, and Hal Holbrook was excellent as his older self. Reese Witherspoon was perfect as Marlena. She had a very nice figure, IMO, to wear those lovely and skimpy circus costumes. August was a perfect villain.

I love circus history. This was a very interesting movie.

I loved this film

Author: jspattzfan from United States
18 December 2012

I really enjoyed this film, not just because I'm a big Rob Pattinson fan.(He did do a wonderful job- a change from buttoned up Edward Cullen). I 'm also a fan of Reese and Christoph. The film looks perfect. Jack Fisk is to be commended for working to keep the look of the early 30's and even the costuming was excellent. It was an old fashioned love story set against the circus venue. No bad language, minimal violence and the mistreatment of the elephant was handled off screen, mostly. I read the book, and like the changes that they made to tighten up the story. Christoph Waltz gave August a more human touch even though he was a psychopath by the end. Rob brought the right tone to Jacob, fresh and naive in some ways and Reese did a fine job also. She did all her own stunts, too I read, which is amazing! I saw this film twice, both times there were some older folks in the audience and in both cases, there was applause at the end, which you don't get a lot of today. It's an old fashioned film- no explosions or car chases, just a nice story that ends well.

Amazing!

Author: loopytaylor16 from Seattle, WA
4 October 2012

I was amazed by this movie! Now, I never read the book either but I am really considering doing it now. The story line was so sweet and exciting at the same time. I never liked Robert Pattinson in any of the Twilight films or "Remember Me" but he was the perfect Jacob. He was shy at first but then really broke out of his shell when he became more accustomed to all the animals around him.

I remember when I went to the circus when I was little, and being completely in awe of the elephants; and the elephant Rosie was no different. Such a big animal being trained to obey commands on screen was pretty phenomenal.

I loved all the costumes. Marlena's clothes were always pristine and time appropriate. I have never hated a movie that Reese Witherspoon was in and this one was no different. She was perfect as always.

You know how in other movies they always end at a bad time and you're like "AWW Man! I wish I knew what happened to them after!" You don't feel this way in this movie. They do a little re-cap of their lives afterwards. So cute! And the older gentleman that kept popping in to re-tell the story was truly remarkable. I shed a few tears; I am not going to lie.

Overall this was one of my favorite movies and I swear to you that you will love it to. You will not be disappointed.

Water for Elephants- Tusk! Tusk! **1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
5 May 2012

With his parents being killed in an auto accident on the day of his final exams to be a vet, a young man leaves college and instead joins the circus in depression stricken 1931.

Robert Pattinson is wonderful in the role and he gets fine support from former Oscar winner Christoph Waltz and Renee Witherspoon. Waltz plays the sadistic circus owner and Witherspoon his wife.

You definitely get the depression era feeling as the film unfolds.

The problem with this film is the choppy writing which we have to endure. While the Waltz character is a definite brute, we needed to see more of this. Witherspoon rides the elephant and shows some emotion, but her part is actually quite limited in scope. It is only Pattinson who is given the opportunity to do some fine acting here. Hal Holbrook is effective as Pattinson as an older man revealing the story to another man.

Water for Days

Author: Skiplittle from United States
5 May 2012

I was originally asked to watch this movie by my girlfriend at blockbuster. I said no. This movie had chick flick written all over it. So I watched it by myself on HBO about a month later. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jacob Jankowsky (Robert Pattinson) a finishing student at Cornell is studying to become a veterinarian but after learning of his parents untimely death in a car accident Jacob is left with nothing. He hops the rails set in the 1930s only to join the Benzini Brothers circus. Acting as the ivy league vet Jacob quickly endears himself to the tyrannical ring leader August (Christophe Waltz) and the star attraction and ring leaders wife Marlena (Reese Witherspoon). The bond formed by Jacob and Marlena over the new elephant Rosie doesn't go unnoticed by the unpredictable August.

Surprisingly Robert Pattinson isn't ridiculous at all and actually decent. Christophe Waltz is one of the best actors today and doesn't let up here. Reese Witherspoon is great in all endeavors and exudes a white glow on that elephant. The scenes are vivid and fluid with epic steam engine shots spilling across the screen. A well done picture.

Amazing

Author: becky-lauren from United Kingdom
14 April 2012

This film did not appeal to me at first despite being a fan of many of the actors in this film, however I watched it anyway and I was blown away by it. It is a beautiful storyline that isn't complex but definitely evokes a lot of emotion from the viewer especially with the animals. The acting was really good and very believable, especially from the two main characters (Witherspoon and Pattinson) and their bond became very believable. This storyline had me gripped from the start and for anyone else who is looking for a film that is slightly different, this is what you need to watch. I have seen a lot of reviews that don't like this film but I think that this film is for a selective audience who don't mind going outside of the normal genre. Overall this film was amazing for me and I would watch it again.

Good Story, Good Acting Sans Witherspoon

Author: pc95 from San Diego
18 August 2011

A solid movie and captivating story, "Water for Elephants" is well thought-out and as big a spectacle as the source material it covers. Director Francis Lawrence has done his homework as the script, set design, and costuming are all strongly convincing. Stealing the show surely is Christoph Walz as a great layered antagonist - aiding in keeping the movie above water. His character is a harsh businessman who has been out in the cold it seems. The leads are not quite as good but satisfactory although Reese Witherspoon seems to have skated in her performance compared to "Walk The Line". That could be some on the direction, but the chemistry is fairly wooden between her's and Robert Patterson's character. The ending is a bit meshy and kind of thrown-in but if it's based on a novel, so be it. Still worth a watch for the general story and settings.

Not so much

Author: pswitzertatum from Portland, Oregon, USA
6 July 2011

Although we had not read the book, we wanted to like this movie, but my husband and I spent a lot of time during it feeling bored and restless for some reason. He is a horseshoer and for one thing was not impressed with what the film said was wrong with that poor horse that was supposedly going to "founder." Then also the pacing of the film seemed a bit static, and so was Reese Witherspoon's acting. Pattison certainly has potential and a good strong screen presence. The ring master part was played with great intensity, so that character was compelling to watch. And many of the bit parts were very good. But mostly we thought the charming elephant was the real star and deserves an academy award.

A nice, watchable movie

Author: woinaroschy_1979 from France
5 May 2011

I have not read the book, so I can't say if this is a good adaptation...

The movie is enjoyable, nice to watch, you don't see the time pass, the characters and their story unfolds and you're caught into it. The acting is very good, Christopher Waltz especially, alternating between brutality and tenderness. Robert Pattinson is very natural as a naive, kind-hearted, unexperienced young man struggling to find his path in life and follow it. I do not understand why some people criticized Reese Witherspoon, I thought she played the character of the mature married woman very well. Marlena knows the bitterness of life, and is mature enough to understand that her teenage dreams will never become reality. Jacob with his innocence, kindness, idealism and love of life touches her heart. And it's here that something is missing...I did not see real passion, this is not a love story à la "English patient" or "Asylum" between a mature woman and a young man, with all the sexual tension..instead the story plays it safe, and there are just 2-3 kisses in the darkness between her and Jacob. Actually, my impression was that Marlena in a very strange way understands and pities August, and that she feels a lot of gratitude and admiration towards this man that took care of her and made her the star of the show. She knows his demons, and she is the only one who has the power to tame them and keep him sane. Her sudden change of mind to jump off the train with Jacob, and spend the night at the hotel with him seems more like a desperate attempt to find another anchor point in her life to replace the one that she has lost, than real love. And since Jacob is (fortunately) able to fulfill all her dreams, they live together forever after in domestic bliss, surrounded by their 5 children and all the circus animals (dog, elephant etc).

A nice feel-good story. The only thing missing is the passion between the main characters. They're more like a middle-aged couple than two young people freshly-in-love.

7 out of 10

Follows the journey of a young veterinarian as he joins the traveling circus.

Author: nina_borghese from United States
14 June 2012

Water for Elephants is based of the novel bearing the same title written by Sara Gruen and is set in great depression. Jacob (Robert Pattinson), the son of Polish immigrants, is about to finish his education to become a veterinarian before he finds himself poor and homeless. Having no other options he sets off to find a job and he encounters a train carrying a circus and is taken in by the workers. Jacob is introduced to August (Christoph Waltz), who is the owner of the circus and his stunning wife and star performer, Marlena (Reese Witherspoon). Jacob is instantly attracted to Marlena and her act and wants to spend time with her and all of the animals. August is reluctant to take Jacob in but eventually tries to become his mentor. Jacob works hard to earn his way into this family of misfits where everyone seems to have their own place. Marlena and Jacob's connection continues to grow when August acquires an Elephant named Rosie in hopes of selling out shows. Augusts' cruelty to not only the animals, but the rest of the performers is a running theme throughout the film and eventually everything comes to ahead. The movie keeps your interest and keeps you on edge that when the tragedy of this traveling circus is revealed you have no idea what to expect. This film is romantic, heartbreaking, and inspiring and very well made. The film's directing, editing, and soundtrack makes the scenes flow together so seamlessly and naturally that you have no trouble understanding the significance each situation impacts each character and the time period it is taking place. The acting of all the major and minor characters and the insight into what life was like for people throughout the great depression were realistic as to the struggles that people went through. I would highly recommend this movie and look forward to watching it again.