IMDb > "Baseball" The Capital of Baseball (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Baseball" The Capital of Baseball (1994)

« Prev | 7 of 11 Episodes | Next »

It's All About New York City

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
12 August 2007

This tape (DVD) is definitely for New York City area baseball fans, but the rest of us can enjoy a lot of this, too. The 130 minutes centers on the decade's dominance of the game by the New York Yankees, Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants. This was interesting and I don't dispute the New York City teams' dominance but they could have given more coverage to some of the great stars from the other teams: men like Stan Musial, Ernie Banks, Al Kaline, etc. Instead, it's almost all New York.

The highlights, of course, begin with Bobby Thompson's famous 1951 home run, "The Shot Heard 'Round The World." We also see the famous catch by Willie Mays in the '54 classic; Sandy Amoros' catch for Brooklyn the year "the Bums" finally beat the Yankees as Johnny Podres pitched two big wins, then Don Larsen's perfect game for the Yankees.

Speaking of the Yankees, we get a nice profile on Mickey Mantle. Who knows how good he might have been - maybe the best ever - if he had been healthy. Mays also is a candidate for one of the top three players of all time and Boston's Ted Williams, some still think, was baseball's greatest hitter and he starred in this decade, too.

With so many contributers to this series being New York City-based people, I expected and didn't mind all the New York teams coverage, but the bias went into the political realm here with enormous plus for New York governor Mario Cuomo. It looked like the Liberal Democrat's campaign team put out this tape! I couldn't believe the amount of time they gave him here, but it's not a shock considering it's Burns and PBS, too. Also, I didn't care for George Plimpton's blasphemous statements in this segment. His elitist views fit right in, I suppose.

Despite the incredible decade for the NYC teams, the decade ends on a real downer as the Dodgers and Giants move West to Los Angeles and San Francisco, respectively, in the late '50s.

New York, New York

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
19 June 2012

Baseball: Seventh Inning 'The Capital of Baseball' (1994)

**** (out of 4)

The seventh of the nine part series takes a look at baseball during 1950-59. The title itself refers to New York, which had three great teams playing at the start of the decade but by the time it was over they'd have just one. Others topics/players covered in this episode include Jackie Robinson being released from his original contract, Yogi Bera, The Miracle at Coogan's Bluff, Joe DiMaggio's retirement, Hank Aaron, Ted Williams returning to active duty, midget Eddie Gaedel drawing a walk, Don Larson's perfect game in the World Series and the legendary Willie Mays catch. Needless to say, fans of the game are really going to love this episode, which is just as great as the previous six. Considering the years covered, the majority of the footage shown is actual video of the games, which is great because we get to see so many of these terrific players. One of the best moments deals with Ted Williams finally retiring from the game and hitting a home run on his final at bat. Williams is also interviewed and talks about his 80/20 on tipping his hat to the fans of Boston. A large majority of the running time is devoted to the three New York teams who were pretty much in every World Series for a period of time. We take a look at the three teams as they hit several highs throughout the decade but of course there's the downfall of the Dodgers and Giants moving out West. Also covered is Mickey Mantle taking his place as a Yankees legend and we also get an interview with him. Bob Costas and Billy Crystal are also interviewed and share some great stories about their fathers taking them to Yankee Stadium.