IMDb > The Legend of Awesomest Maximus (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Legend of Awesomest Maximus

Average Viewing Fodder

Author: djsneakypeaky from United Kingdom
15 December 2010

Literally hundreds of these Spoof films seem to have been made with the majority of them being absolutely rubbish.

While this movie isn't bad it certainly isn't good either. I actually watched it through to the end, so something made me keep watching (although I'm still trying to figure out what!).

A couple of familiar faces in the cast but mostly no one I'd seen before and the acting wasn't anything special, probably down to the slap-stick script.

The plot is a combination of three films; 300, Gladiator and Troy. Which at times is quite confusing because they pick and choose the parts they felt like, not necessarily what would of worked best.

There are some topless scenes every now and again which are so often guaranteed in movies of this calibre. The main lead plays his character well enough and I'm sure you'll be seeing him again in similar movies.

All in all probably only worth a watch if you have nothing better to do...

Surprisingly good.

Author: ssvfolder-1 from Israel
15 December 2010

Wow, I did not expected I'd be laughing during most comedy parts of the movie. Usually spoofs as this one are incredibly stupid and irritating - take 'Meet the Spartans" for example, but this one, despite it's obvious stupidity, actually works. This movie is a mixed spoof of Brave Heart, Gladiator, 300,Troy and Alexander. The cast is great - I think the main reason those stars agreed to do the movie is in order to rejuvenate their careers, because few of them were quite big this time or another. In any case it works. Some jokes are really hilarious. I think it's a first time I gave a movie such as this one such high grade, and I have no regrets. It's a nice way to spend couple of hours in the evening.

horrible...only for the feeble minded

Author: Targ Targer
16 December 2010

Hailed as an instant classic by some sponsored posts here, this movie does not deliver. If you - like I did - had the Lampoon franchise in good memory, thinking of the Vacation and Christmas movies (the first ones always being better than than the later ones), this will disappoint.

Production value: Most scenes are filmed on beaches and/or with lots of sky above. Acting is far below average.

The humor is geared towards ten to thirteen year olds and it's far worse than the usual fare for that age group.

Stay away if you want to be amused (and are not eleven).

And, completing my ten lines here, I would not have written if this movie hadn't been so utterly disappointing.

Watch 'Vacation' if you need to laugh.

Uhu?

Author: diggus doggus from United Kingdom
21 May 2011

Too many bad films and all the sudden people wouldn't recognise a good comedy if it came around and took a crap on their shoes;

The Legend of Awesomest Maximus is really really good.

Thats it, end of review.

I said end of review.

No seriously, what is there to say? Great acting ?? Don't need it. Great production ?? Well, not really but, it's not like it's a ugly film. I'd actually say this is a pretty sweet film production-wise.

Look, some films serve a purpose, and Awesomest does it perfectly, if you like comedy like horror fans like Hammer films, and incidentally like girls everywhere like Gigli, then this film is unmissable and yes, it will become a cult hit.

Go see it or rather, rent it, you will not regret it.

Recommended to anyone who is still a little bit immature, and for everyone else who isn't immature, i say get some immaturity back in your life, you old sock.

Final vote 8/10 - should have been a 9, but they got the spelling wrong in the title. Come on, how hard was it to make it "Awesomus" instead of "Awesomest"... jeez, the writers these days..

got to finish it

Author: rfant01 from United States
4 September 2013

While watching it I was a little put off by the non-historic mix of 300 & Troy - but knowing its N.L. I didn't expect a historical documentary, unlike 300 and Troy with their stupid Kung Fu Hoplites in skirts (if your going to do a Kung Fu movie do it & don't pretend it in ancient Europe! unless it tongue in cheek) which this makes fun of). Put history aside & the jokes were funny. The acting is great. The cinematography is good. The girls are hot. What more do you need? (unless you a pretentious snob - then what are you doing watching N.L.?) The last scene puts it all in prospective (won't spoil it for you it just makes it all make sense). great spoof movie with a great reason for the spoofs (& deserving targets)!

A Faithful Documentary of Roman Culture

Author: dstahl-494-145347
5 October 2012

The Legend of Awesomest Maxiumus is a faithful recollection of the times of the Romans. From the inherent accuracy of the armors and actions of the characters to the way they speak and the gestures they use, it's a beautiful film which I recommend to any culture class or Latin class as a history lesson. Keep in mind, however, that the other reviewers find this as a spoof due to incorrect information spread by the internet about the Romans. This results in some misinterpretation of the intent of this film. The National Lampoon is not only a comedy film making name, but also one of historical significance in the fields of archaeology and historic research. So before you go into a class thinking that Romans were uncouth, arrogant, or at all incapable of providing thought into anything they say, make sure that you watch this movie. It'll set you straight.

Do NOT bother

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
21 January 2011

This is a stupid film, plain & simple. This film proves a disgrace to the National Lampoon series. No way this film can compare to the Chevy Chase era in the Vacation series.

The film focuses on making spoof for Troy, 300, & Gladiators. Not that the idea is a bad thing, though, but the execution is.

There are no funny jokes; just crude sexual connotations and crappy, retarded gag reflexes.

Please do something else, rather than watching this film. And please, do not get conned by the sponsored advertisers, who comments just to get you, well, conned.

Not so "awesomest", but not "boringus" either

Author: kosmasp
14 June 2014

I have to admit, I was surprised that this movie wasn't as bad I thought it would be. Not that it is really good either, but it has some nice acting power behind it (not really looking at Ms. Lokken though). There's also a lot of nudity in it, just in case you were wondering. And the movie takes cues from many films of the recent past, including 300, but also Troy and the Spartacus TV show.

The jokes are hit and miss mostly, but they are one thing: not really intelligent. And they don't have to be. This being just a spoof of one genre, it obviously would not want to expand on that. Still if you like "stupid jokes" and remarks, there are worse movies to watch than this

Fun to watch with friends

Author: reviewleon from Hong Kong
17 March 2012

This movie does have some Dirty humors & a mix parody. While i have stopped watching Spoof/comedy based movie for a long time. And the reason is they over do it now a days. I remember great movies like airplane etc & then from year 2000 onward they started to make silly & dumb parody movies that i think was such a waste of time. But when i checked out this one, i had to finish it. It is okay for this genre of movies. I will ask my friends to come over and have a look together,just like the old days. So guys if you are thinking to pass time with your friends & laugh your *** off then have a look for once. And i can assure you guys that you will have a great time. But if you are a hard critics who watch out every scene in detail then this one is not for you.

Another 8/10-it's got will sasso, YA, its funny Awesomest maximus is funny

Author: thepotatoHasEyes from United States
13 February 2013

I think there are either a lot of depressed people writing reviews or that one guy in the comedy show audience who just refuses to laugh , this is the second or third movie i have watched that had bad reviews on IMDb, that turned out to be really enjoyable

I watch a lot of comedy movies and this one -awesomest maximus -- is definitely funnier than most , i put it right up there with meet the spartans . and i haven't reviewed -305- yet but i watched what i could of it and consider this its review 305 is bad,-

This movie has Will Sasso- he's funny , period . AND THE coach from dodgeball, patches o'whatsisname , he's a king in this movie .

its just comedy , well worth a watch if you have a sense of humor