IMDb > Eagle Eye (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Unoriginal but very entertaining

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
29 September 2008

In the plot of Eagle Eye,there are elements taken from the books written by William Gibson,the video game Portal and movies like Enemy of the State,I Robot and a long etcetera.But,in spite of that,I had a very good time watching this movie.There's no doubt it's unoriginal but the movie has an enormous energy that takes possession of the spectator,so the final experience is very entertaining.The action scenes are very well filmed : they are exciting and they feel realistic.The movie has a good tone because it never stops entertaining.The actors also did a good job.Shia LaBeouf,Michelle Monaghan,Billy Bob Thornton,Michael Chiklis and Rosario Dawson bring a lot of enthusiasm to their characters.I'm usually against the lack of originality but,there are some occasions in which,that fail is redeemed with a lot of good elements.Eagle Eye is one of that cases.I can easily recommend this movie.I had a very good time watching it and it did not bore me even a second.

A summer blockbuster at heart...just sit back and enjoy the incredibly unrealistic ride

Author: The_Amazing_Spy_Rises from United States
25 September 2008

Ah, the seemingly perfect combination of Steven Spielberg, director D.J. Caruso, and everyman leading star Shia LaBeouf. These guys took us by storm with the pleasant surprise Disturbia last year, and pretty much anything with the name Spielberg on it has to be at least entertaining, if not excellent. That's what Eagle Eye is.

First off, I cannot stress this enough: don't take this movie seriously. Please don't get mad because the movie isn't realistic. I know it's unrealistic. You know it. Shia LaBeouf knows it. That doesn't stop Eagle Eye from being one of the most entertaining and effective thrillers of recent memory. Is it as smart or as gripping as other chase and mystery thrillers such as the Bourne series? Of course not. However, whenever Eagle Eye stretches our minds to the breaking limits with the insanity on screen, it manages to throw in a mind boggling action sequence or two right as we start to get mad.

The film, very well masked by trailers that really only show the beginning of the film and small pieces of the end, deals with cyber-terrorism and a secret military project dealing with destruction and national security. The US Secretary of Defense is portrayed (Michael Chiklis), it's incredibly unrealistic, has Shia LaBeouf, and has a prominent military character (Anthony Mackie). I can already here the Transformers comparisons flying in. The film also lacks in the originality department elsewhere, as elements of I, Robot and Live Free or Die Hard are also present and quite obvious.

I cannot give enough accolades to whoever thought up this action - Eagle Eye boasts arguably the best action sequences of the year. The CGI is seamless and more than worthy of an Oscar nomination. With car chases to rival the best of them, as well as one of the most clever "on-foot" chases I've ever seen within an airport, Eagle Eye never fails to grab your attention with the incredible action sequences.

Now to our cast, the headliners of which are two of film's biggest rising stars. Both live up to their names and reputations admirably. Shia LaBeouf revisits the "troubled youth" character he created in Disturbia, though his turn here is darker and has more depth. He really stretches some acting muscle in the beginning of the film, and it is because of this early success that we are willing to go along for the ride with him, following, trusting, and believing in his Jerry Shaw. Michelle Monaghan, long one of the most underrated in the business, also helps us believe in her character with a convincing show of emotion early in the film. The whole film, despite the action sequences, rides on the shoulders of the leads. If the audience doesn't like them, the film will ultimately fail. I'm pleased to tell you that they rise to the occasion and carry the film with ease.

Our supporting cast includes veterans Billy Bob Thornton and Michael Chiklis. Maybe it was the script, but Thornton's character was so stereotypical and overdone that it almost made him laughable - especially towards the end. Chiklis did great in his role as the Secretary of Defense - and the unfortunate "victim" of circumstance. Rosario Dawson and Anthony Mackie are acceptable in even smaller roles.

I remember when I watched my first D.J. Caruso film a few years ago (Two For the Money), and I remember how much I hated that film. However, Caruso has certainly grown as a filmmaker and has found his niche in the hugely entertaining action blockbuster genre, even if a lot of "movie borrowing" is done. This will be his breakthrough that will allow him a little more freedom as a filmmaker and possibly allow him to blossom into more than just an action film director. The touches of Spielberg are obvious, as the legendary director/producer's presence is only a plus.

Eagle Eye, in short, is a summer blockbuster released in September. It feels like a summer film, and has the components of a summer film: explosions, terrorism, and Shia LaBeouf. It is everything you want in an entertaining action thriller. Don't go looking for your super realistic epic here - Eagle Eye prides itself on blowing your mind every way possible.

If you have half a brain, wow did this movie blow...

Author: firedude34 from Ohio
12 October 2008

Where to start with this movie. There are so many unbelievable premises I don't even know where to start. Conspiracy theorists will love this movie. Everyone else will just constantly find themselves saying "Riiiiight…." & "You've got to be kidding me…" Let's just cover some of the premises we are asked to believe:

1. There is a Super-Super Computer (called Aria) designed to recognize threats to national security by monitoring every cell phone, computer, video camera, and radio frequency in the world. All by itself. Stupid evil Patriot Act.

2. Aria can make high tension power transmission lines overload and snap exactly where she needs to just so the wire can fall and kill someone that disobeyed her (Aria has a female voice).

3.Aria has decided that the President and his entire cabinet must be eliminated because they didn't listen to her advice on a missile strike in the Middle East, and thus must be a significant threat to the national security of the United States. Pres and his cabinet must be Republicans.

4. Aria can read lips and follow conversations just by observing the vibrations of the conversation on the surface of a cup of coffee.

5. Aria can hack into any security camera, cell phone, airport metal detector, remote controlled crane, etc. on a moment's notice and take control of them. Totally anonymously.

6. Aria can control anything and everything electronic in the world, but can't overcome some internal programming that prevents her from accomplishing her mission.

7. There is a newly discovered crystal that when properly triggered, a 1 carrot diamond sized piece of this crystal will demolish the Capitol building.

8. It seems we have remotely piloted vehicles (RPV) that look just like a Predator RPV sitting around the U.S. on military bases fully loaded with missiles and machine guns… just waiting for a demented Super-Super Computer to take control of them.

9. Apparently it takes about 4 days to get to D.C. from the Midwest by passenger train. No wonder Amtrack is always in trouble...

10. If you slow your metabolism enough, you can survive a ride in the un-pressurized bay of a military transport aircraft.

11. A single missile strike in the Middle East triggers the 'real' Jihad world wide and threatens the U.S. and it's evil capitalistic interests.

12. If you dress like a cop, you can waltz into the Capitol building when the President and his entire staff are there and Congress is in session. With a sidearm. Oh, and there is a secret access tunnel under the Capitol.

13. The rest of the world has to pass through 20 layers of heavy security to get to Aria's secret level of the Pentagon. But, if you know the right computer, you can get direct access to Aria's level via a service elevator that is nowhere near any security.

It just goes on, and on, and on through the entire movie. Jeez I couldn't wait for it to be over… and boy was I glad when it was! Uhg. Nothing in the movie was believable. I thought Vantage Point was a bad movie… this was worse. Wait for the DVD.

A great popcorn flick

Author: mneiai from United States
25 September 2008

Eagle Eye is a well-paced, action-packed popcorn movie up at the same level as most of Shia LeBouf's other movies. It had just enough mystery to keep a intellectual interest throughout the explosions, horrific deaths (though, of course, the rating meant they were off-screen), and originally awkward interaction between the two main characters. While an attentive viewer will guess most of the "surprises" before they are revealed, the question as to how the movie will ultimately end makes up for any disappointment.

The acting was better than expected, the storyline as original as it could hope to be, and, all in all, it is certainly a movie I suggest to fans of action, Shia, or government conspiracies.

Something old, something new

Author: wordsmith_57 from United States
26 September 2008

Yeah, there is a bit of 2001 Space Odyssey, I Robot, Bourne Supremacy--any movie that has computers, surveillance, and government, coupled with unwilling participants. But it works. It does. Don't let the naysayers dispel you from a movie worth watching. Who cares if Spielberg favors Shia? I couldn't think who else could duck cars, cranes, the FBI, and still crack a joke that fits right in place. From Holes to Eagle Eye, Shia proves worth watching (okay, I Robot, was a bit silly). Eagle Eye does start out fresh and exciting in the beginning, gets a little boggy in the middle, and is soft at the end--BUT, it is still worth the admission price. You won't want to leave at anytime during the movie, the pace is so tightly executed. The stunt action is primo--the car crashes alone are standout. And the chase scene in the airport conveyor system is something else. The whole question of do we have too much technology is the theme. Don't forget to leave your cell phone at home.

Not the greatest but at least it was fun

Author: judy from Waukee, IA
28 September 2008

Eagle Eye is not the best movie I've ever seen but it's much better than some of the other junk that been out lately. Yes, it copies almost every recent political thriller and yes it rips off some other movies too, but don't most movies recently do the same. The action was good and the main characters at least were made to be real people that you could connect with. And Billy Bob Thornton was having so much fun and was at his best since Armageddon. This movie proves again that Shia LeBeouf has some talent, too bad he can't seem to stay off the tabloids. Michelle Monaghan also was very good. Unlike some of the critics I thought the ending was quite noble. 8/10

This is what is wrong with modern cinema

Author: (imdb@ottothedog.com) from United States
14 November 2008

This movie is what is wrong with modern cinema. This movie is an insult to the public's intelligence. This movie is crap. First off I'm going to spoil the hell out of this movie because if I succeed in anything here it is to convince you to watch anything else. Watch Madagascar 2 if you have to. I give the movie a free pass on all the fantastic assertions it makes about the capability of computers. This is a supposed high tech, futuristic, super duper secret computer... so anything is possible. HOWEVER: 1) Hollywood needs to get it through their thick skulled craniums that the inclusion a powerful artificial intelligence does not have to always be the big bad wolf... I get the poetic significance of the human spirit vs. the evil machine but it's been done hundreds of times by people far better. Even collectively the writers: John Glenn, Travis Wright, Hillary Seitz, and Dan McDermott are not a tenth of what Kubrick is. 2) If there were such a super computer capable of anything from phone calls, traffic lights, planes, trains, TVs and satellites it seems a little bit difficult to fathom why it would need to recruit two numb skulls to do its bidding. 3) We spend 2 hours watching these two unwittingly participate in an elaborate, explosive (yet oddly perfectly timed) storyline to ultimately fail. Apparently our super computer wasn't smart enough to launch a missile, crash a plane, or any number of far simpler plots to take out our government. In fact... even to take the given storyline for what it was, all that was needed was a necklace and a note to be played at the correct time. We sat through 2 hours to see that complicated circumstance manifest itself? 4) Secret Service shoot to kill, they do not wound or wing or pleasantly ask strange men with guns shooting up the state of the union to please put your gun down. They kill you. Why didn't they? Well that's what big bad evil computers do. People don't kill people, that's just silly. 5) How is it a super dooper future computer with unheard of technology and fabulous artificial intelligence is brought down by a pipe to the eyeball? The thing takes up a 4 story room and its eyeball is the weak spot? Why the hell didn't they just stab it in the eye to begin with?!? I'd give this farce less than one star but Flixter won't let me. I'll be waiting for Eagle Eye 2. A supercomputer writes it and saves us from having to sit through another collaborative effort of the 4 nitwits that gave us this movie.

You've Been Activated

Author: Manny the Movie Guy from California
24 September 2008

The "technology is everywhere" idea for "Eagle Eye" was hatched several years ago from the brilliant mind of executive producer Steven Spielberg. He wanted to do for electronic devices what he successfully did for sharks in "Jaws." People feared going to the water after watching Spielberg's 1975 masterpiece but I doubt they will stop using technology because of "Eagle Eye."

Yet, the film succeeds in instilling paranoia. It may not have reached the cinematic tension of "Jaws," but you will still feel suspicious about your cell phones, laptops, and GPS. Is Big Brother watching? In "Eagle Eye," it's Big Sister who's doing all the controlling. Her soothing but commanding voice (Julianne Moore in an uncredited role) is manipulating people into doing exactly what she wants them to do. Her motivation may be patriotic, but the means by which she carries out her duties can be considered terroristic.

Acting as Big Sister's unwilling puppets are Shia LaBeouf and Michelle Monaghan. Their characters unite to figure out who's the person behind Big Sister's voice.

In his first adult leading man role, LaBeouf stars as Jerry Shaw, a copy clerk in Chicago who's detached from his family. Compared to his successful twin brother, an Air Force public relations officer, Jerry is an underachieving loser with no ambition or dreams.

When his brother gets killed in a car crash, Jerry's life takes a drastic turn for the worse. Suddenly, huge amounts of bomb-making materials show up at his apartment, which prompt the FBI, headed by Agent Thomas Morgan (the scene-stealing Billy Bob Thornton), to label Jerry a terrorist.

Meanwhile, Monaghan's Rachel is busy being a single mom. Her little boy is off to Washington, D.C. to play for the President in his school band. That night, Rachel is enjoying an all-girls night out when she receives "the" call. Her child's life is in danger, if she doesn't follow directions precisely.

"Rachel Holloman you have been activated," says the soothing voice on the other end of the line. "Your compliance is vital. We will derail your son's train unless you do what you're told!" Cue action-packed music.

Directed by D.J. Caruso, LaBeouf's partner-in-crime in "Disturbia," "Eagle Eye" is a non-stop action-thriller that's frenetic, chaotic, and at times, overwhelming. Get ready to be assaulted by quick edits and jerky camera movements – a barrage of sights and loud sounds which sometimes culminates into mind-blowing special effects.

Amidst all the noise, the quiet performance by "The Shield's" Michael Chiklis as Defense Secretary Callister stands out as the heart of the movie. You can see that a world of responsibilities rests upon his shoulders.

I also enjoyed the chemistry between LaBeouf and Monaghan. The romantic tension is evident albeit inferred. If this is an 80s movie, the actors would have made love, with guns a' blazing and a Journey soundtrack playing in the background.

The biggest element I liked about "Eagle Eye" is its strong "what if" factor. The hi-tech central plot of the film doesn't feel like science fiction. Spielberg's imagination is truly ahead of his time. He conjured up this scenario long before cell phones, laptops, and GPS rule the world. So get off of your computer and watch "Eagle Eye." And for that, "Eagle Eye" gets 3 "Big Sister's Watching" kisses.

Mildly enjoyable, but not entirely memorable.

Author: Jamie Ward from United Kingdom
20 October 2008

I think this is possibly the third film this year that has directly involved a higher power turning 'insufficient funds' into a considerable amount, and while this comparison is valid in a sense, that's where similarities end. From the trailers I was imagining Eagle Eye to be a cross between The Matrix and Wanted, but it's not… not at all. No, it is neither creatively similar nor anywhere near the same quality. So despite some similarities, Eagle Eye at least delivers an experience that is refreshing, but at the same time familiar. Not much risk-taking is implemented here; there are virtually no new ideas of any kind, and the themes present have all been battered to death in countless novels and films that have frankly done the job far more successfully. Read aloud, the script could easily be interpreted to be a techno-phobe's transcription of a recurring nightmare; the government tracking us all on phones, cameras lip-reading us etc. etc. and for the most part, that is how the movie plays out. While these elements leave an experience that will always have you guessing as to where the movie is going next, the eventual climax of the film boils down to character rather than plot, and as a result of spotty characterisation, the film eventually falls flat. Despite some major issues however, Eagle Eye still manages to retain a sense of spectacle, and the story, although mostly a science-fiction dud for the most part, does move forward at a decent rate. In this regard, the movie makes for good popcorn watching, but not much else.

Following meek photo-copy shop clerk Jerry Shaw (Shia LaBeouf) as he takes the road after being wrongly suspected as a terrorist by the FBI, Eagle Eye is standard political thriller material; there's the hard-ass government officials, the misunderstood civilian who is inevitably on his way to save everyone, and the fragile love interest along for the ride in the form of Rachel Holloman (Michelle Monaghan). What makes this feature at least a little more interesting than the cookie-cutter outline of thriller scripts however is that both these lead characters are being led on a mysterious journey across the country by a voice-on-a-phone who has access to all sorts of technology that governs our civilisation from computers, phones and TVs to billboards and alarm systems. Through this voice, Eagle Eye delivers its main theme of technological sabotage and paranoia; Big Brother with ones and zeroes. Of course, it's not the most original of ideas, and the movie's script plays them as obvious as can be with no desire for subtlety at all. As such, the writer's lack of anything interesting to say becomes apparent after the first act comes to an end. As far as science-fiction goes, it's standard thematic material. Again, no real developments or ideas are plugged in here for you to digest, only well established ones reiterated for your brainless entertainment.

One of the script's far more successful elements however lies in the character of Jerry, and his off-screen relationship with his recently deceased brother. Although the movie never transgresses beyond the rather a-typical successful brother/lazy brother aesthetic, the writing is focused and sharp enough to give actor LaBeouf enough material to work with. So far this year LaBeouf has proved himself a highly capable performer, and Eagle Eye does well to showcase his talents here. While his chemistry with co-star Monaghan is almost non-existent, the actor does well to cover up most of the holes in this mismatch, and in his character in order to make Jerry a sympathetic, but engaging persona to watch. As a leading man, LaBeouf still shows some restraint and doesn't ever quite improve on his less-than-charismatic performance in Transformers, but as was the case there, his small image often complements the scope of the movie.

In the end, all the characters and their developed relations do eventually come to an emotionally engaging climax that capitalises on such developments with great conviction. Of course, there's a dud of an ending that follows the real climax in order to provide picky viewers with a bow on top of their cathartic package, but it doesn't hurt the final payoff too much. Taken as a whole however, Eagle Eye certainly isn't perfect but it isn't bad either. For popcorn entertainment, director D.J. Caruso does his job well enough to create an engaging thriller that delivers some action, some character and some plot, even if it all feels a little underwhelming when put together. Anyone looking for anything but fluffy action-orientated thrills driven by mystery and spotty politics would be best to find something else to chew on; mildly enjoyable, but not entirely memorable.

- Written by Jamie Robert Ward (http://www.invocus.net)

Surprised to discover it's SF

Author: RichardSRussell-1 from United States
26 September 2008

I went to the midnight Imax showing of Eagle Eye without my note-taking material, thinking it was going to be just a political/espionage thriller. To my surprise, it turned out to be science fiction, and pretty effective SF at that.

Young slacker Jerry Shaw (Shia LaBoeuf) and single mom Rachel Holloman (Michelle Monaghan) are being psychologically manipulated by an imperious woman who orders them around over whatever phone happens to be handy, giving them seemingly impossible tasks requiring split-second timing for no obvious purpose. I seldom appreciate the cinematic technique of frenzied, blurred, jumbled cuts of hard-to-follow high-speed action, but here they're used to good effect as the protagonists are rushed from one crisis to another way too fast to figure out what's going on. Their confusion and panic becomes yours. All they know is that they must obey or die.

Billy Bob Thornton and Rosario Dawson are investigators who start out suspecting our heroes of terrorism but gradually figure out that everyone's being jerked around by the mysterious Aria. Many crashes and narrow escapes. No comic relief. No comic bookness. No time for romance. Dead serious, with dirt under its nails.

Welcome to Surveillance World. I'd like to say it's set in the near future, but it may well be here already.

Page 1 of 33:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]