IMDb > "Flashpoint" (2008) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Flashpoint" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Perps are people too.

Author: Jack from 89118
20 July 2008

Wow, a cop show without perps. A TV drama with guns and not 'necessary' evil. Moral, caring cops with emotional consequences. Explosions, when all else fails.

I like 'The Unit' (also on CBS) when it addresses the egregious use of force needed to defend against force and the guilt that comes from fighting evil with evil actions. They have their moments of destruction far from home and leave the guilt for later (when they are home). Flashpoint takes place down the street. In your office building or mall. The consequences of action or inaction are to be replayed in their mind, home, community and above all on TV. And despite the preparations our heroes take, it just doesn't assuage the situations that go tits up.

This show is grounded in moral motives that will pierce the heart of it's viewers. Let the Rambo's have their shows, and let us tread the thin, ever moving and twisting thin blue line of Flashpoint. In the show's own words, "We're not here to target practice, we're here to save lives".

Great show, hopefully more of the same!

Author: GorobeiOgataSan from Canada
12 July 2008

Excellent show, with movie quality cinematography that shows the behind the scenes of the snipers. It takes from some of those SWAT reality TV shows and throws in the personal issues and struggles that no one gets to see. Only one episode has been aired so far, so I don't have a lot to base this on, but I give it a 9 as this is something fresh although how long it can keep it up remains to be seen. My other complaint is the late airing time, but a very high quality show none the less (as their huge budget indicates).

A refreshing change from the cop shows out there

Author: Seradan from Canada
23 October 2008

The basic premise is that they show the 'flashpoint' of a situation, a brief glimpse at a volatile situation. This teaser provides a context for the story telling that comes afterward as a depiction of the various events that led to the situation, and then goes to resolve the issue.

I really, really enjoy this show. Working in Toronto, I enjoy seeing some of the same places that I travel to in this show. The 'shades of grey' antagonists, the not quite impenetrable armour of the protagonists and the fact that there are unexpected twists to the stories makes for some great watching. Unlike some of the other shows, where you get into a "Oh, we're getting near the commercial, he's going to puke / crash / seize" routine, the show has managed to use believable twists and character development to surprise, despite the 'spoiler' that begins each show.

I sincerely hope that there are many seasons to come, and that it will continue to develop the characters and story lines behind them. Kudos to the wonderful cast for their great performances, and to a show based in Canada that doesn't look like it was crafted on a shoe string budget.

Brilliant series!

Author: mr-bond-1 from Poland
20 April 2009

I just love it. It is so different from the typical gung-ho super-commando, CSIs, Lost or Prison Breaks lasting forever. These guys have emotions, feelings. We see what led to the situation and that very often there isn't a simple solution to the situation. The negotiations are the very strong point and the will to solve it without guns. It shows what it is to shoot somebody - even for a highly trained and tough elite unit member. It takes its toll on every one. There is no going home in glory after a shooting - there is the procedure, debriefing and very strong emotions that not all are able to cope with. It is a unique series and I hope it stays for another couple of seasons. I'd miss it if it was gone.

Great Show

Author: Mel from Australia
18 February 2009

This show is in it's first season in Australia (glad to see we have a 2nd to look forward to!) Only a half dozen episodes in, but so far I'm really enjoying it. Love the way it gives you the 'teaser' at the start, then you get the full story leading into the situation. Although it would help if the network airing it here could show the episodes in order for a little continuity... Yeah, yeah, we all know it's not totally realistic - that's why it's called 'entertainment'. I work in police communications here in Melbourne Aus., and I can assure you we NEVER have anything this exciting happen, but that's probably not a bad thing. I find the at the end of each episode I'm wondering where the hour went!?!

A sleek drama with a few wrinkles to start

Author: letterblush from United States
12 July 2008

First impressions from the Pilot show "Flashpoint" to be a hybrid of special forces, hostage situations, lots of weapons and character study.

The show seems to have a lot of potential, even if the dialog is a bit rushed and difficult to understand for the average viewer who isn't used to the office lingo of the special forces team that handles these high stakes situations.

The team, led by Sarge (Enrico Colantoni of "Veronica Mars") and Ed Lane (Hugh Dillon) seem to gel well so far, but future episodes will tell if they can pull off the show's premise.

There is some humor, but the Pilot also sported multiple slow-mo shots of character interaction, and each of their reactions to the reality of their job.

A bit rushed in places, and jaunty, as any series premiere is expected to be - hopefully "Flashpoint" will find its stride as a sleek, cop drama with brains, edge and heart.

Great overall show

Author: spencer_village from Canada
6 February 2009

Everything about this show is done well. From the cinematography to the locations, and the acting, this show is very well done. I'm a proud Canadian so seeing a great show being set in Toronto is awesome.

Great job to the filmmakers. It's about time we get a show that's made in Canada but doesn't try and look like an American city. CTV has done a really good job and creating this show, and getting the necessary funding with CBS to make this a solid series, and make it survive in Canada. It is doing well internationally as well, being sold to many different countries in Europe and all around the world. I'm a film student and I know what it takes to do the stuff they do, and especially doing it in Canada is very cool. When this season gets put out on DVD I will for sure pick it up.

good show

Author: sabrinaleccese from Canada
13 April 2009

I would have to say since the very first episode I have been hooked, I also got a glimpse of it on a talk show, who showed the audience a clip, then they talked about it. they talked about how the actors dealt with real cops to get an idea of the realism to the episodes they were about to act. The show is a DRAMA not and ACTION so that is why you wont see explosions and gun fights and not all situations come to that they are trying to give the view all the sides that cops would have to deal with on a regular basis. and to see it from my home town is even more exciting cause i have a lot of friends from high school who are metro cops. not tactical as far as i know but still to see what they have to deal with it makes you realize how dangerous their job is. I think anyone who likes a realistic drama that shows the highs and lows of tactical teams day drama with a little action this is the show for you. I watch all the C.S.I's and 24 and dexter, i pretty much enjoy a show that has a good story line unless it becomes unbelievably repetitive like 24. like how many times do we need to see Jack Bauer get captured and fall in love with anew woman and loose the respect of his team for the sake of saving the world! I am sure everyone can agree that not every time a cop gets a call its all about explosions and blood and guts come one now that isn't real life! not in Canada at least maybe in LA l.o.l where all lousy shows take place! the unit sucked i haven't heard one good thing about it he was better as the president on 24 than on that show! flash point all the way.

All in one show! Excellent!

Author: Darwin Palma from Canada
3 December 2010

This is an amazing show! From the production point of view, it's very well done, made with a lot of effort and attention to details. The cast is superb, each actor very well placed in his/her role and with a collective chemistry that is palpable. (Just met Hugh today in the street and he's such a nice, cool guy!)

Each episode is very original, with just the right amount of action, drama and gadgetry to keep our interest and look forward to the next episode. The interesting part is that is also has a very high emotional content, sometimes from the victim's side, sometimes from the team's side and even from the "bad guys"'. I have to confess that I have teared up in the last few episodes at some point. Also love the fact that is set and filmed in Toronto, without trying to make it looks like any other city. I don't know if the real unit in our Police Force is that good, but nevertheless, it certainly makes us respect more their profession.

Glad to see Flashpoint is back on. . .missed it

Author: adelaidetaylor from California, United States
9 July 2010

A breath of fresh air. I love action/police dramas, but most are so predictable you can guess what the characters are about to do or say. Flashpoint is an exception. I find it more original, very suspenseful, and occasionally quite moving. The consistently impressive teamwork and professional attitude of the characters may be a bit unrealistic, but it makes for tight drama and people you can really feel connected to. The ensemble acting is seamless and effective. I am also a fan of Canadian shows such as Da Vinci's Inquest and Cold Squad. It seems our neighbors to the north are quite adept at creating excellent dramas with well-developed, appealing characters, and original plot lines.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]