IMDb > Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Page 1 of 143:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Great effects - story lacking

Author: brendan5 from United States
26 June 2009

As expected, the effects were spectacular. The fight scenes were extravagant and fast-paced.

The story though, couldn't keep pace. They kept stopping for a romance that was never developed (and no one really cared). The real thing that brought this movie down though was the constant stooping to this immature level. The had to have said @ss and balls 10 times (and that's a low estimate). Not only this, but those two twin autobots were introduced who were supposed to be "hip" maybe? They just turned out to be extremely annoying and to bring down the level of the movie as a whole.

As a fan of the original cartoon series, I have to say I was really disappointed they stooped the level of immature @ss-balls humor and creating new characters with low IQ's. They could have done better. The action though, was amazing and I am still glad I paid to see it on the big screen.

Great action and visual effects - everything else is dribble

Author: provenelk from United Kingdom
20 June 2009

This film is arguably the most highly anticipated release of the summer, and you can see the pressure must have got to Michael Bay with the amount of crap he put into this movie to lengthen it.

Firstly, i will say the action scenes and visual effects are great, and the addition of new "hip" auto-bots is good for young viewers (not anyone else though), but unfortunately you only really see any action until the last half, and then its still separated by unnecessary and tiresome romantic scenes, and even then, the action scenes become tiresome with large amounts of 300 style slow-mo and an obvious intention of Michael Bay to show everyone how great his visual effects are, as well as Megan Fox's boobs for the 14 year olds in the audience. Great Mr.Bay, we can see that, just give us a good film.

The first half is largely made of useless footage of Sam at college and annoyingly frequent comedy scenes with his mum. The whole "college" section could have been compressed to about 20 to 25 minutes rather than an hour long.

The plot is very good, and the stuff about the fallen is pretty gnarly. Its just a shame you don't find out about it till about the last third of the film, and there are a lot of plot holes - like why the hell didn't Sam give the splinter to Optimus Prime instead of his lame girlfriend?! But i think if they had started with the plot earlier and cut a lot of the "inbetween" they could have made the film a lot more fun.

Overall, it is fun, but the faults become tiresome and therefore make the film tiresome, especially with its long length (2 and a half hours i believe). Worth Seeing yes, but definitely not the blockbuster monstrosity we were all looking forward to.

Edit: On reading other peoples comments, i want to say to any self respecting film lover, ignore the 1 or 2 star comments, but equally ignore the 9 and 10 star comment. Especially the 9 and 10s which go on about the special effects, i think they need to learn having good special effects doesn't give you a good movie. They'd get along with George Lucas pretty well though...

It's our fault, really...

Author: aecioborba-2 from Brazil
11 July 2009

In Psychology, we would take this movie as a perfect example of what we call "reinforcement". If people like it, make more of it. If no one said anything about it, no need to make it again. So, what did everyone (myself included) talked in the first film? Those fights were great. Loved the robots, I wanted more of them. Oh, Megan is hot. Let's get more of her too (if by "more of her" you hear "less of her clothes", even better). Oh, Megatron was great, sorry he had a short time in the screen. And do on. No one talked about the story of the movie, or how the characters were different from each other. Of course no one paid any attention to the dialogues. No one said how great was the continuity of the movie. No one cared who the characters were. Thus... why bother with any of this? There was a long time I did not see a movie so bad as this one. I am still in shock, after 4 days. Director, writer, editor... no one had any idea of what do to with any of those characters or how to get from a scene to the other. No one cared for the story, why people should be in one place or other. The plots are so scattered no one bothered to think why a character would do something. So, if you like the characters created in the first movie; if you like stories; if you would like at least that you ears and/or you intelligence don't be hurt by the most stupid lines ever told by a human (or robot) in a movie, be careful with this movie. But, if you want to see a lot of spare parts fighting each other, would like to see great battles, don't care for story, dialogues or continuity, you'll sure like this one, because it has great battle scenes, bigger and faster than the first one. Then, maybe you'll give and 8 instead of a 2 to Revenge of the Fallen. Myself, i like that action scenes be part of the movie, not the movie itself. So, be careful with the movie. Don't get any higher expectations except some time to eat popcorn.

Seriously...what happened?

Author: Lucian from Canada
29 June 2009

i loved the first transformers, the acting/humour was superb and the action was AMAZING. I was super anxious for transformers 2 and after about an hr I was anxious to leave. I couldn't take it anymore, everything was stepped up to a bad degree. Too loud, too much action, too much horrendous jokes and way too many robots! Half the time i was trying to figure out whos who and there were so many plot holes that bugged me, this all being in the first hr alone. There were three characters that I truly DETESTED, the twin robots and that greasy haired buffoon of roommate, it doesn't get any more annoying than those three. GAHHH and when all three of them were in the same scene I wanted to kill myself.

What I expected

Author: lukalele from Australia
29 September 2009

I'm amazed at some of the reviews on here. Seriously, what did people expect outta this film? Shakespeare? The English Patient? You go to see this for the ridiculous action, awesome special effects and just to have a good time, which is what I had. Yeah, it did seem to overindulge slightly and was slow in parts. Yeah, the humour's cheesy, sometimes painfully so. No surprise there though, let's remember we're watching a film based on kids' toys, not a Bronte novel. It ain't perfect, but if you expected it to be, I'm glad you're feeling let down. For me, it didn't try to be anything it shouldn't have and what it needed to do right, it did.

Mindless, thoroughly enjoyable fun, just like the first one.

Too Much Comic Relief Undercuts An Above-Average Sci-Fi Saga

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
2 July 2009

Too much comic relief undermines the dramatic impact of director Michael Bay's visually impressive sequel "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen." If you skipped the original live-action "Transformers," you may not understand the stakes in the sequel or the situation. The original concluded with the treacherous Decepticon jet Transformer streaking off into the sky, guaranteeing the survival of the villains. Original "Transformer" scenarists Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are joined on this installment by "Reindeer Games" writer Ehren Kruger and they bring back the evil Decepticons for a rematch with the virtuous Autobots.

Clocking in at an hour and 49 minutes, Bay's epic length sequel features machine-like entities shape-shifting from various vehicles into gigantic robots with deadly appendages that discharge explosive broadsides whenever they unleash their titanic fury. The problem is Bay neglects the narrative for these massive transformations. When the Hasbro creations aren't changing from innocent machines into destructive robots, Bay and his scribes are slinging visual and verbal jokes as fast as you can blink. In other words, "Transformers: The Revenge of the Fallen" lacks suspense until the last quarter hour when the flesh & blood performers inject some emotional gravity into this superficial smackdown between good and evil alien robots.

"Transformers: The Revenge of the Fallen" opens with a prologue in 17,000 B.C. when mankind initially runs afoul of the alien robots, before Bay jumps ahead to the 21st century when mankind and the Autobots have formed an alliance. U.S. Army Major Lennox (Josh Duhamel of "Turistas") and Sgt. Epps (Tyrese Gibson of "2 Fast 2 Furious"), command an elite squad codenamed NEST that consists of Autobots collaborating with U.S. and British soldiers to smoke out rogue Decepticons hiding anywhere in the world. The opening Shanghai sequence where NEST routs a gargantuan unicycle that wrecks more havoc than Godzilla ever visited on Tokyo gets things started off on the right track. The unicycle warns our heroes that the worst is about to befall them in the form of a monstrous entity named 'The Fallen.'

The sequel focuses on a thousand year old object called 'the matrix of knowledge' that provides loads of power to whoever acquires it. The scene shifts from Shanghai to the Witwicky homestead in California where Sam (Shia LaBeouf of "Disturbia") announces his plans to attend a prestigious Ivy League university and try to live the life of a normal twentysomething. Sam informs Bumblebee, the yellow Camaro that morphs into a monstrous robot, that he cannot accompany him. Freshmen aren't allowed to have cars on campus. Incredibly, Sam is leaving his super hottie girlfriend, Mikaela Banes (Megan Fox), who looks sexier than ever. After Sam's parents, Ron Witwicky (Kevin Dunn) and Judy (Julie White), get our hero situated in his dorm, they head off to Europe for a vacation. Sam and Mikaela are having their first relationship struggle. She wants him to utter the L-word "love" but he is content only to tell her that he "adores" her and they plan to maintain their relationship coast-to-coast via the Internet.

As Sam is unpacking, a shard of the Allspark falls out of his clothing from the first movie and weird things start to happen. Remember, the AllSpark was a mystical cube that contained the key to the Transformers' existence and was thought destroyed in the original movie. Optimus Prime shows up soon afterward and explains trouble is brewing and Sam has a role to play in its resolution, but our hero refuses to participate.

Of course, what Sam wants and what Sam ends up doing are two entirely different matters. In one of his classes, he scans an astronomy book from cover to cover and accuses Einstein of being wrong. Furiously, Sam starts scribbling enigmatic symbols. Later, the Decepticons return in force, steal parts of the AllSpark, excavate Megatron from the bottom of the ocean floor, sink half the U.S. Navy, and set out to destroy not only the Autobots but also the Earth. The Decepticons' primary target is Sam and they perform a full body scan to obtain vital information.

"Transformers" boasts some spectacular scenes. For example, a robot versus robot mêlée around Egypt's Giza Necropolis, with the evil Devastator, a remarkably mammoth mechanoid, absorbing several construction vehicles so it can scramble atop the peak of a pyramid, is truly a sight to behold. Again, Bay and his scribes cannot inhibit their humor and they show two huge wrecking balls dangling like genitalia between its massive thighs. The scene where the Decepticons resurrect Megatron from the bottom of the ocean is exhilarating to watch. The last thing that you should be thinking about is the nincompoop who decided not to melt Megatron done into a pile of metal so nothing like this could happen. Unfortunately, had they done so it is likely that there would not have been a sequel.

Mind you, "Transformers: The Revenge of the Fallen" qualifies as a big, dumb, noisy action-paced sci-fi saga that doesn't make any sense and revels in its larger-than-life idiocy. Humans take a backseat to the fracas between the mechanoids until the final moments when only Sam can save the day. Unfortunately, the humor gets entirely out of hand. Sam's college roommate follows him around the globe and spends more time screaming in terror rather than fighting. Agent Simmons (John Turturro) is back acting just as flaky as ever, too. The Ghetto twin Autobots are as obnoxious as Jar Jar Binks was in the "Star Wars" prequel. The gags and the pranks displace the drama. The language is often rude and verges on the obscene. The surprises are few and far between. Without enumerating them, we are asked to believe that essential characters can die and never be revived. Anybody who believes for an instant that the Decepticons will vanquish the Autobots is clearly delusional, though it would have been a nice cliffhanger touch on Bay's part to stage an ending similar to "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back."

Could have been better, but could have been much worse!

Author: hugh_booth from Canada
1 July 2009

For the most part, this film is the decent thrill ride that the movie going audience is looking for. As an action moving, it has scenes to astound and thrill any avid fan. As a science fiction movie it stands reasonably well. It doesn't over-explain things and doesn't throw in concepts as central plot points that are blatantly impossible (super novas that threaten entire galaxies, I'm talking about you Star Trek). The movie also does relatively well on a comedic note, and from a standpoint of general plot. Though others have complained about the central importance of Sam's role being unlikely and a retread of the first film, it follows through logically from where the first film left off.

Though the film is a lot of fun, it does have its flaws. Unfortunately the humor descends to the low brow a little too often. Also the Autobot twins that Michael Bay apparently loved so much were frightfully annoying. They did also lean towards offensive cultural stereotypes a little heavily. It is unfortunate because a couple of their funnier lines could have been delivered just as well by completely different characters. In fact they might have been funnier coming from a more straight laced Autobot. The use of the twins in pure Jar Jar Binks fashion (though not quite as irritating) was unfortunate given how many underused robots there were. The comment about Sam's roommate's bravery could have been unexpectedly hilarious coming out of Arcee.

Most of the other glitches in the film were relatively minor and not worth mentioning, though the writers could use a geography lesson. If you enjoy action films and don't need a deeper artistic message, Revenge of the Fallen is well worth the watch.

An Action-Packed Thrill Ride

Author: college_bound_cutie_1987 from United States
24 June 2009

We all have a feeling of dread when we heard of a sequel going into production when referring to a movie that we enjoyed. Especially if that movie is based on something left over from our childhood. While the first Transformer movie was enjoyable, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen exceeded all of the expectations I could have possibly had while all the while blowing the first movie out of the water.

~Possible Spoilers~ Shia LaBeouf turns in a finely tuned performance that exemplifies his growth from child star to emerging actor. Josh Duhamel returns as Lennox as a side character with his own plot that quickly steals the scene. Megan Fox was the only low spot in the cast, highlighted mostly in action scene involving little dialogue and a lot of bounce. The special effects were amazing and the exotic locales were excellent as the journey takes the viewer on a whirlwind tour of both the world and human history. Michael Bay pulled no punches in the witty banter involving the giant robots and their human counterparts. The plot though stretched at times was credible in the overall action of the story. Clearly audiences know better than to go to a Michael Bay film if they want an Academy Award winning performance.

All in all, this movie was not to be missed. It will be one of the hardest movies to beat this summer in the action department as young adults and adults alike will enjoy the action, drama, romance and scenery.

Fun silly film.

Author: sandipbharj from United Kingdom
18 June 2009

Adapting Transformers into live-action movies is always going to be a bit of a nasty challenge to get right, but I enjoyed most of this action-packed extravaganza. It doesn't have that same magic of seeing Transformers battle for the first time and it seeming like a spectacle, but it makes up for it by having more action and more explosions.

So a quick few words on what I thought of the first movie.

Transformers 1 HATED: - Megan Fox's 'acting'. It's absolutely all form and no charisma; - most of the Transformers talking; - the scene where the Transformers are hiding in the backyard of Sam's house while he searched for the spectacles in his room (just seemed to take all the seriousness away from the Transformers and portray them as silly).

Transformers 1 LOVED: - watching the Transformers battle each other; - Shia Labeouf doing his great mix of nutty comedy/nervous acting.

Transformers 2 - HATED: - Film tends to sag in the middle when the action slows down to progress some of the silly plot. Transformers is not a film about plot, it's about the action - just keep it coming and don't try to make a story from it because it's RIDICULOUS; - Megan Fox still looks amazingly hot but cannot act to save her life. You may as well just put a cardboard cut-out of her next to Shia Labeouf and it'll do the same job for a fraction of the cost; - A scene towards the end of the movie where there is a small "dream sequence" of sorts, and the word "destiny" is mentioned. I almost vomited. The word 'ridiculous' doesn't quite do it justice; - The girl that Sam meets at college and who she is. I am simply AMAZED that they actually let that whole thing get put into the movie - it just doesn't fit into the Transformers world and leaves stupendous plot holes and questions; - There isn't enough slow-motion in the action sequences for you to take it all in - Transformers trying to be "funny" - yuck.

Transformers 2 - LOVED: -The action is mind-blowing. This is what you go to see the film for, and apart from the slow-mo flaw, it's pretty breathtaking and surprisingly violent too; - Sam and his parents are genuinely hilarious.

And that's it.

I went to see Robots doing battle, and for 90% of the movie that's what I got. This isn't a film for those looking for a smart plot or realistic story lines and physical motion - this is something to visually gawk at, and sonically admire. This is special effects without having to think about it. There are plenty of other films that showcase superb character development and plot, but this isn't it and nor does it try to be.

This is a live-action movie that you could easily imagine being a cartoon. If that's what you want to see I think you'll enjoy this as pure entertainment. If you didn't like the first movie I can't see how you would like this one, but for those who liked watching metal smash into other metal, you'll be buzzing from this flick.

Pure Action

Author: danishcuti from Denmark
25 June 2009

Lets just start with the critics. I have a lot of respect for critics and their opinions but lets face it Transformers 1 and 2 are not made for critics. They REALLY didn't like the sequel and I in all honesty see why. But, and it's a big but, I am the kind of person who enjoys a good Oscar movie and a good sob in a sad movie, but i am still a HUGE fan of action movies.

For me personally an action movie is crude language, many explosions, a hero of some sorts, and a decent soundtrack and for me Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen does indeed deliver on that point. The movie is visually fascinating and "explosive", and I knew what to expect so I was therefore not disappointed.

After giving myself time to consider the movie more clearly, yes, there are points I could have been without or enjoyed more of. Megan Fox's and Shia LaBeouf's lovey dovey stuff could have been left out for all I care. The sense of humor does indeed border on the idiocy lvl but todays generation might not be as clever as others. I would have loved to see Devastator more than others, but drives me to the same conclusion as Spider-Man 3 where I would have loved to see Venom a lot more than I did. The action scenes (and there are a lot of them) are a bit crowded and you do have to be in a certain state of mind to be able to focus well.

But all in all the movie is visually dynamic and has the most outstanding special effects since the last Transformers. It was genuinely entertaining. As for stars i give the explosions 2 stars, the SFX 3 stars, Shia LaBeouf 1 star, Josh Duhamel 1 star and the robots 2 stars leaving the total at 9/10.

Go watch it if not for the massive explosions or just because you want to see the sequel see for the impressive ability Michael Bay has to bring the wildest toys to life yet again.

Page 1 of 143:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]