IMDb > Camp Rock (2008) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Camp Rock

Camp Rock (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

For a camp that supposed to rock no one can play instruments...

Author: sillybilly21486 from United States
21 June 2008

I was very surprised at how bad they added the music to this movie. The scene by the water where he's singing to her with his acoustic where did the bass and background vocalists come from? Also the cast doesn't know how to lip sync to the songs, nor do they know how to play guitar (Peggy during her solo playing an E major almost the entire time up and down the neck of the guitar) and the strumming of the guitars never matched up to the music playing. The dancing sucked..one dancer looked like she was thirty.

The movie never had a beginning she wakes up sings...acts like she goes to school then boom she goes to Camp Rock.

This movie was great to make fun of...it seemed like Disney took recycled scripts from Hannah Montana and other Disney shows and made them into a movie that seemed to be poorly edited and unoriginal. The rich snobby white girl is overdone in ever Disney show and typical plot line to follow..they made the one Jonas Bros (the not so popular one..Kevin) and made him dumb and as flamboyant as Carson Kressley.

I'm sorry Disney but you could've put more time into this movie instead of rushing through it to make a quick million. Save your time people don't watch this.

Predictable Yet Entertaining

Author: HollisterNights from California
20 June 2008

Okay, DO NOT get me wrong. I love the Jonas Brothers and Demi Lovato to death but honestly, it feels like this film is missing something. I know this is supposed to be a Disney Movie and that it has been endlessly compared to High School Musical but I have to say that... High School Musical carries an element of magic that is missing from Camp Rock.

The songs are all catchy and entertaining and unlike the unpredictability of a musical, when the characters sings: It makes complete sense. The acting is mediocre, there were points where the actors delivered completely while in others, their ability comes into question.

The movie itself was relatively interesting and kept me vaguely hanging, even though there were times where I just got up and walked around (got food and refreshments). Shane Gray is a convincing jerk. Overall, you can see where the movie was headed from the moment it started. But it carries you through the movie and you believe that there is such a camp out there (which is something we all wish).

I NEVER said that the movie was bad, just predictable and half-hearted. But no matter what, THERE IS SOMETHING TO ENJOY.

Even though I was jealous of Demi Lovato when Joe Jonas sang to her lakeside. & I had to pause my DVR when he got out of the lake because well... look at him.

Watch the movie and you'll find something you'll like but don't come in expecting Oscar standards.

Preditable Mess

Author: seniorrah08 from United States
21 June 2008

The only reason I am giving this movie a "2" is because of the singing. The voices were very good, but the actors were not. Predictable roles: disapproving daughter, outcast, two girls ruled over by one "teenage drama queen", the cute troubled boy, and of course, the poor parents who happen upon giving their daughter (who is the disapproving)the chance of a lifetime. Disney movies are not what they used to be. I grew up on the classics; Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Snow White, and Aladdin. I did watch High School Musical, and was impressed. The sequel was a disappointment, but to be honest I only watched it to see Zac Efron. (a bit shallow, i know). I did watch Camp Rock, only because it was sooo heavily advertised and I wanted to see what the big deal was. High School musical was incredible for a few reasons: Little known actors who could really act, incredible voices, although predictable it was well scripted, cute people (shallow again), and left the audience with a positive message. Camp Rock, while incredibly predictable : SPOILERS!!!!! AHEAD:

-Poor Parents tell disapproving daughter she cant go to Camp Rock -Poor Parents tell disapproving daughter she can go to Camp Rock if she helps as a "Cinderella" in the kitchen with her mom -Disapproving daughter lies and lies and lies -Disapproving daughter is friends with hottie -Disapproving daughter is found out after hanging with the "in-crowd" -Disapproving daughter is dumped by hottie -Disapproving daughter gets into trouble by "in-crowd" leader -Disapproving daughter sings and in noticed by hottie -"In-crowd" leader is not all that tough -"In-crowd" wanna by leader sings and is crowned winner. (totally surprised by this honor OF COURSE!)

Camp Rock may have been better if the Jonas Brothers had not been apart of it. This may have been a publicity stunt, and they are just NOT actors. They can seriously sing. But COME ON! Disney has left me with two hours torn for me that I can never get back.

If you are contemplating on seeing this movie, let me make the decision for you; buy a couple of songs from the soundtrack and call it good. Don't waste your time.

Embarrassing

Author: powerdragonmaster from United States
21 June 2008

This movie is an embarrassment to music. Every song in the movie was clearly lip synced. The voice in the songs didn't even come close to matching the characters' voices. From what I can tell, the characters are all terrible singers and know nothing about music. They sang their cheesy, repetitive, annoying songs in some studio, their voices were heavily edited to make them sound good, and the music was dubbed in. If Disney wants to do a musical, maybe they should find actors that actually know how to sing. Second of all, why did they call their little concert things "jam sessions?" A "jam" is where many talented musicians play together and simply improvise for a while. Everyone trades off solos, and it's not perfect. A jam is not a rehearsed event where everyone is doing a choreographed dance and pretending to play the guitar. Awful and embarrassing. As a musician, I find this absolutely atrocious. The only reason I watched the whole thing was because the girl is very pretty (don't worry, I'm a high schooler).

Not worth all the hype...

Author: shani_luvs_movies from United States
20 June 2008

Although this was at times a cute movie (mainly because of the Jonas brothers), my friend and I found ourselves laughing at the movie more than laughing with it. Maybe it's because I'm no longer in the pre-teen age group the movie was suppose to reach out to and I was only watching it because nothing else was on, but I thought the plot was unoriginal and extremely predictable. Sure, the Jonas Brothers added to the musical value and it had a few great songs in the end but the sound editing made it sound like the performers were lipsynching(who knows,some might've been).

The clique was annoying and extremely one-dimensional, and it was even more annoying to see the lead actress lose herself and try so hard to fit in. I'd give it an B for effort but it pretty much sums up the movie with the fact that the most entertaining part was seeing the blonde girl and Jo Jonas trying to fake cry.

Bland and Predictable - Doesn't measure up to High School Musical

Author: itsmrhippo from United States
22 June 2008

Insert sadface here. This rockin' was supposed to be so much more than it lead on, but it really failed to deliver. I'm quite sad to say that Camp Rock may not be a failure to Jonas Brothers fans and teenage girls, though compared to other Disney Channel Movies, it just does not deliver.

The story starts off with Michie Torres, a girl that desperately wants to attend a Rock and Roll camp, and subplots Joe Jonas being throw back into his old stomping grounds before he became the hotshot that he is in Connect 3.

Right in, they establish the characters of Michie as the shy girl, and the rather rude Shane Gray. It seems that cliché character development only kicks in after a few scenes, for little to no reason at all. The work done by the actors was relatively decent, with a few small exceptions. However, having to deal with a horrible script like Camp Rock, is a task in it's on. The film tries to create conflict with an enemy that nobody really cares about, or has any ill feelings for. The mark of good character development is to love your enemy. Perhaps Meaghan Jette Martin had a scene or two that was cut that really showed us that she had such feelings for her family.

Camp Rock has all your normal stereotypical Disney children in it. Your hero(in), the hero's sidekick, other friends introduced for comedic value, the hero's enemy, and the enemies cronies. Disney does not fail to deliver an overdone plot of being ashamed of your family and how lying is bad. Blah blah blah... Girl lies, gets out casted, expresses remorse and sticks up for herself. Haven't seen this stuff in a Disney movie before! Nope, not me! Lastly, the music. Though it is somewhat strange that a rock star would be a hip hop teacher at a rock and roll camp, I found that it worked for the most part. Most of the songs are forgettable at best until the finale, as many musicals are. Though, these select songs make this movie re watchable and marketable for Disney. It will probably launch *a* career...

I'm quite sure it's got to be just a big Jonas Brothers promotional video. I'm sure the funds raked in for this film will also be astronomical much like its musical counterpart, High School Musical.

All in all, the story is boring and forgettable, but some of the songs you'll be singing to your self after seeing the film once or twice (or perhaps 20 or so, if you know Disney Channel). Watch this once, definitely, to see if it's your cup of tea. But it didn't quite do it for me the way HSM did it for the rest of the world.

Worst Disney Channel Movie Since Cheetah Girls 2

Author: hellosunshine from United States
22 June 2008

I do not want to put too much spoilers in my summary so I will just summarize the horrible acting, singing, and awkward dancing involved in this horrible made for TV movie.

So basically the movie is the first acting experience for the JoBro's and sadly for me they failed terribly. Joe Jonas being the main character who attends a rock camp called Camp Rock. He meets a girl, Mitchie, (played by Demi Lovato) who is a worker at the camp. Quick summary would be that he hears a voice, likes it, tries to find the girl behind the voice, finds her, likes her, rude blonde girl tries to breakup their relationship, she spoils Mitchie's secret and everybody finds out she works at the camp to pay for her admission, Mitchie is kicked out of the group performance, a ton of awkward dance and singing pieces are spread throughout the movie, Mitchie apologizes, the blonde mean girl becomes nice, and they all sing a happy, energetic, and group orientated song together. This basically sums up the whole movie.

The acting was horrible and WAY over the top. The singing was great because Demi Lovato and the JoBro's can singing (obviously). But the dance sequences were all very awkward and strange. This movie could've used Kenny Oretega's help.

All in all, the movie was very cheesy and was very uncomfortable to watch. Forgot to mention that it had a lot of plot holes that did not make sense.

Horrible Disney movie that was WAY over-hyped.

Will not be the next "High school musical"

Author: MelRocks from Canada
21 June 2008

I admit, they were probably trying really hard to make this movie liked by everyone, but it's just not that.

Even after watching just the first few minutes of the movie, everything seems unnatural and forced. Plus, nobody really creates a full song and their outfit just a few minutes before school.

The singers are very good, and I'm just disappointed that they went to Disney to start their careers. Also, Joe Jonas is an okay singer, but not an actor at all.

Also, the Jonas brothers being put together for a final song seems very cliché!! Expect your kids and friends to be wearing chunky jewelry, high heels, sparkly tops, and leggings to camp instead of jeans and a t-shirt, be prepared to buy more suitcases. :) It's a very disappointing movie with music that is tolerable, and a rushed storyline, but it will never be as good as High school musical.

Plus, there's a lot of shoulder bopping and what not.

Thanks, Anonymous

Doesn't Rock Completely, but Not So Disappointing.

Author: adidasplayya from Japan
21 June 2008

Face it, the majority of viewers were Jonas Brother fans. Nothing wrong with that at all, in fact, it was probably the movie's selling point.

However... The script was poorly written. Unrealistic moments and scenes are embedded throughout the movie, Camp Rock sitting at the top of them all. The plot was VERY predictable, and lines seemed forced and very, well. PLOTTED. haha. The Jonas Brothers made their appearance, as promised, but don't expect any acting close to Zac Efron's or Shia LaBeouf's. Joe Jonas, playing the main protagonist, is not meant to be an actor. His voice is mediocre and sounds nicer with backup vocals and guitar. Nick Jonas seemed robotic (why were his swim trunks so short?) but Kevin Jonas played a pleasing and likable airhead.

Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff and Shia LaBeouf have left Disney. Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens are on the way out. Disney has come to realize that they can't keep depending on the JoBros and Hannah/Miley Cyrus to reel in the cash. So, they introduced a new, but not-as-cute as Hilary Duff face: Demi Lovato. Okay, she's not edgy and charismatic like La Lohan, not NEARLY as exotic as Hudgens, and not as experienced and cheeky as Cyrus, but hey! She did okay. Her voice is good enough to be unforgotten, but also be hard to remember. I'm happy they didn't use her best friend, Selena Gomez, who is another tool in Disney's attempts to recreate lovable shows that don't come close to Lizzie McGuire or Even Stevens.

Anyways, the music's simple, sounds familiar, but is fairly pleasing. The acting (including MORE not as talented faces)is mediocre and slightly painful at times. (Excluding Alyson Stoner, who was probably the best) I don't recommend watching the movie more than twice, because by then, you'll know each line, each verse, and each forced laugh, and fake diss. This doesn't rock completely, but it's not so disappointing either. :)

Not worth it

Author: trillionare12 from United States
21 June 2008

I was excited to see the premiere of Camp Rock, because I figured that it would be a fun, music filled movie featuring the Jonas Brothers. But I was greatly disappointed.

Camp Rock is about a girl named Mitchell Torres. She isn't very popular, doesn't have many friends, and her family is a little poor. When her mother announces that she is to go to Camp Rock, a camp for inspiring musicians, she is thrilled. When she gets to camp, she finds out the pop star sensation Shane Gray will be instructing there. Unlike all of the other girls, she doesn't fall all over him. Then one night before dinner, Mitchell starts playing the piano and singing on the deck, thinking that no one is listening. But Shane is, he's hiding behind a bush. He thinks that the song Mitchell was singing was just the type of music that he likes, but when he goes to see who was singing it, Mitchell is gone. So that Mitchell will be popular, she gets herself into a bundle of lies that her mother is president of Hot Tunes in China, etc. Then she befriends Shane and when he finds out about all of her lies, he gets mad at her, and all of that jazz. Then at the end they sing together and all of that. See? Even my short summary sounds cheesy, like the flick.

Anyway, this movie isn't worth your time so don't watch it unless you like movies that can make you fall asleep. My rating: 4/10

Page 1 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]