IMDb > "Transformers: Animated" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Transformers: Animated" More at IMDbPro »

Autobots rolled too far out.

Author: Kareiyasu from United States
9 May 2008

When I first heard or rather saw that Transformers the TV series was going to be remade, I like many other fans ran to our TV guides and marked the date of release.Unfortunately to many and my own dismay, this was nothing like the old shows.In fact I felt that this was a whole other show on its on, because it didn't feel like a remake or a continuation.

My problems with the series begins with the voice actors.It feels as if they brought a heavily underpaid group of VA's to fill in some very huge shoes.I didn't expect A+ voice acting, but what was given isn't even worth of a C grade.They fail mostly on Optimus Prime's voice.While he is very articulate he sounds more like an angst teenager than a grown autobot.One could blame the poor writing but the voice itself just doesn't match the drawn character.

Another problem I noticed was the transforming itself.I'm a huge fan of the transformers, mainly due to the unique transformations of every Autobot and decepticon.Now I know the old shows didn't lay out every part switching panel to panel, but some sort of transformation was shown.In this series it's only masked by a flash of light and some well sped action line.Ultimately leaving anyone wanting more out of a simple transformation that took Michael Bay all of five minutes to show.

In conclusion this series needs a major overhaul and even some new artists.The show feels like it was rushed just to match the date of the movie.The action is very lackluster and most episodes consist of slapstick humor the easily becomes very old and very boring.If your a fan, you'll hate it, and if your into Animated Series you'll watch a few episodes here and there but will ultimately find something better to watch.

Not what I had hoped it to be. *Spoilers Ahead*

Author: Kefka_8203 from Sweden
17 March 2008

Well then, a pop-culture phenomenon enters the stage again, with a blockbuster movie and a lackluster cartoon. I am not quite sure where things go wrong these days, as the TF cartoons after Beast Machines and Beast Wars have been so bad as to make watching them a physically painful event. Armada was decently animated, but the humans combined with mecha-Pokémon's annoyed more than they helped the show. Energon was pretty much abyssal with it's human hero being a typical Japanese animation "brash hero" type. Cybertron was the kind of thing you play at Guantanamo to get a confession out of people.

Then comes Transformers: Animated. I've gotten the notion that people love this show, which only confirms what seems to be a cultural handicap amongst some western viewers: That if it is from japan, or at least mostly influenced(red: Ripoffed) from Japanese animation it is inherently superior in some mystic way. because you know, it's totally cool with preteens saving the universe with superpowers while they also attend to college. Back on track then.*coughs* TF:A is a show heavily influenced by Teen Titans, a show that at least was watchable as it depicted superheroes and super-villains. Transformers is pretty much the same show, only with big mecha Pokémon's along and a preteen girl running around wielding the "All-Spark"...Which of course s in the shape of a car-key...Of course.*brain implosion*

The quality of the cartoon is probably good, if you can stand the style, which I by the way, cannot. It's lackluster and childish. The mood of the show is so confused it should get professional help..is it a show about superheroes and super-villains? Or a show about aliens battling it out? is it a serious show with brutal action, betrayal and such? or is it a show that should replace Barney the dinosaur? The greatest consistency is to make the Autobots look like advanced toys and let those toys battle it out with the kind of super-villain you think would be cute in a movie or show making a parody of DC COmics. Highlights like Meltdown (cuz..he melts stuff..both himself and others...), Headmaster(cuz'...He dresses as a Galactus reject and builds a head that is supposed to sit on robot bodies...) and Angry Archer. (guess what he does...) Seriously, this show takes such a huge step backwards Im ashamed. People whine and b*tch about how the humans in the movie got too much place. Then same people come here and praise this train-crash of a show? That's hypocrisy people.

I would give it a lower rating, but at times it shows promise...or just good character ideas. So maybe, in twenty years more..We can get a decent Transformers show not for the culturally challenged.

Transformers With Transformers Veterans

Author: Terryfan from United States
1 January 2013

After the 2007 Live Action Transformers Movie was a hit blockbuster film Hasbro has choice to create a new Transformers Cartoon that tells a different story with The Autobots and Decepcticons The Story is that Five Autobots, Optimus Prime (David Kaye) Prowl(Jeff Bennett) Bumblebee(Bumper Robinson) Bulkhead(Bill Fagerbakke)and Ratchet(Corey Burton) discover a ancient Allspark the forces that gave Life to all Transformers They are soon chase by the Decepticons with Megatron (Corey Burton) Starscream(Tom Kenny) Blitzwing (Bumper Robinson) Lugnut (David Kaye) and many more.

The Autobots crash land on Earth where they remain for many years. Years later the Autobots awaken and soon meet a human friend Sari Sumdac (Tara Strong) The daughter of Isaac Sumdac a man who discover Megatron and use what he learn to make a robot empire.

As the series goes on we meet many Autobots and Decepticons and learn a great deal about their personally.

The story I thought had some promise since they took the time to think of where they want the series to go and have some good characters to go with the storyline the Human villains are just terrible and unneeded.

The cast and voice acting is very good and it was nice to have a great cast of many famous actors and Transformers Voice Acting Veterans like David Kaye and Corey Burton.

The Animation still is a mix bag not that is bad but they really had some issues that I wish could have fix but still they did well with what they did.

So over all if you're a fan of Transformers like me then Transformers Animated is worth a try.

Too bad the series was canned before we could have more promising story lines to go with this series

A fun show to watch.

Author: IceDoll from United States
4 January 2012

It isn't the best show, but it's far better than Beast Wars. (BW hurts my face.) The characters are nicely developed, and you certainly develop feelings for them. Some of my favorites are Prowl, Blitzwing and Starscream.

The voice actors are a little over the top sometimes, but their overall performances are excellent. They picked voices that match the character's personality. Optimus (voiced by David Kaye) is young and inexperience in TFA, and Kaye portrays that well in his voice. Prowl (Jeff Bennett) is calm, cool, intellectual, but still powerful and fierce. His voice completes the image. Starscream (Tom Kenny) is...well, Starscream. It's hard to describe him in just a few words. But Kenny does an awesome job voicing him.

The plot of each episode usually provides some sort of moral or lesson without being overly preachy, and the script is well written; balancing humor with seriousness. There are a few things that I could have done without,though. I didn't like that Sari was really a robot (that just instantly made her a Mary Sue), and I didn't like Blackarachnia. And killing Prowl is possibly the stupidest thing that the writers did throughout the ENTIRE series. You don't just kill Prowl, dangit. Because once you've seen Prowl playing peek-a-boo with a baby, it's impossible not to fall in love with him.

Overall, the show is enjoyable. Not my favorite, but I like it.

My kid loves it! And that's what matters.

Author: reinardian from Philippines
7 December 2008

I'm a fan of Transformers G1... but as I grew older, I lost interest. I don't follow each of the reincarnations like Beast Wars and Armada.

Transformers Animated sparked my interest back, especially seeing my kid watching it religiously. The art style is different - but it grows on you. I just wish they show more of the autobots I grew up with like Hound, Iron Hide, Sunstreak. My kid saw the old Transformers the Movie cartoon, and he had no interest in it... it was too serious and the action is a bit lame.

I guess the powers-that-be in Cartoon Network knew what they were doing. They've also brainwashed my kid into buying the Animated style toys as opposed to the movie figures and Transformers Universe.

A cheap cash-in, nothing more.

Author: Ithorianjedimaster2 from United States
30 July 2008

"Transformers" by Michael Bay was a box office hit. With the mix of action movie and special effects expertise of Michael Bay with the superior CG mastery of Steven Spielberg, the movie was a real treat to anyone who can look past the robots' new looks. Transformers: Animated is Cartoon Network's answer to try and get quick ratings, by introducing a new storyline with timeless characters like Optimus Prime and Megatron, but in the end, Transformers: Animated becomes only a cheap movie cash-in, reminiscent to the Transformers video game.

The plot is different than what fans are use to. You remember the whole Autobots VS. Decepticons war for control of the Allspark that the movie revolutionized? In the show, it's over and the Autobots won. Now, Optimus Prime and his pals are all miners of some kind, digging through asteroids looking for artifacts or something. Suddenly, they just happen to come across the great, supposedly-lost Allspark, and where there's Autobots with the Allspark, Decepticons survivors of the war aren't far behind. Soon, the Autobots end up on Earth and like every other Transformer story, they become determined to protect the shards of the Allspark and humanity from the forces of Megatron.

The story seems like it's always trying to shake off the presence of the "Transformers" movie, and yet the characters the producers place into said story are in the movie. The opening credits make sure you know that fearless Optimus Prime, youthful Bumblebee, elderly Ratchet are in the show as well as non-movie characters like stealthy Prowl and lame Lugnut. On the side of evil, and just as annoying as their Autobots foes, the Decepticons are very disappointing with a round-up of bots that consist of fan favorites Megatron, Starscream, and Black Arachnia, and two new bots in which one is a Megatron fanatic and a Transformer version of He-Man's Many Faces who has an aristocratic voice, a mischievous voice, and a really pathetic Arnold Schwarzeneggar impersonation thrown in for some cheap humor.

Speaking of cheap humor, I know they're robots and have mechanical parts, but after a hundredth pun like "Over my cold, offline servo", "I'm going to rip out your piston through your tail pipe", and "You're frying my circuits!", it becomes grating and you're wondering if the robots are actually unsure of their own roles in the cartoon.

Transformer fans may have been forgiving when they saw the remodeled robots in Michael Bay's film, but Transformers Animated is just unforgivable. For one, the characters are all terrible. Hell, even the robots' Autobot/Decepticon symbols don't look right on several occasions. And two, some may be fooled by the idea that making an all-new Transformer that has never been in a cartoon is very difficult, but it's inexcusable when three of the Autobots plus one of the Decepticons have ridiculously long chins and sound terrible.

Then the producers decided to throw in a girl named Sarry whose father creates robots (and ends up housing the head of the 'late' Megatron after Starscream's signature for treachery). Sarry has an Allspark key of sorts that lets Sarry do about anything to machines. You'd think with the key, Sarry would be useful to the Autobots, but she ends up just tagging along for the fun.

The first few episodes are just plain wrong. You have the hour-long pilot episode and then a universe of fillers until the actual plot continues with Megatron's resurrection. These filler episodes turn the Autobots, guardians of Earth and Cybertron, into freakin' superheroes! You have Marvel villain rejects like the Angry Archer and Princess. Sooooo threatening. It would be nice if the show threw in more bots, which doesn't happen for a long time, and the robots introduced are usually around for an episode like two construction worker robots who has a deep love for oil and a retarded garbage bot. It's pretty bad.

Transformers: Animated may have sounded like a good show on paper, but when you try so hard to not be like the movie and yet want people to think it's the movie at the same time, what you got is just a jumble of terrible ideas from people who read a few robot names, looked at the basic plot through a Transformer fan fiction, and decided "this would make an awesome cartoon!" I can't understand why there are people who actually like this show when it's only a cheap cash-in that fails on nearly every level. The two stars I gave this trash was because Megatron and Starscream are the only decent characters in the whole show and personally, I'd rather be ruled by a tyrannical war machine than be protected by the most disappointed Optimus Prime character this side of Beast Machines.

Transformers Animated feels right! Tons of G1 fan service.

Author: Tur Boll (Turbo-Lullaby) from Vasa, Finland
30 January 2008

*For anyone who might not know, G1 refers to the original 1984-1986 transformers cartoon series.

I'm very glad I checked out this show. From the first moments it is very apparent that Transformers Animated is created by fans of G1 transformers, i was glued to the screen for the first eight episodes, and i'm eagerly waiting for more. In fact this show is so good compared to anything since G1, it should be called Transformers Resurrection! Let me tell you about some of the many good things: It feels right! and is obviously made by fans of G1 transformers and other 80s cartoons. It's entertaining from start to finish. The story has so far been good as it takes so much influence from G1, although it's a new story. The other transformers series after G1 has not been able too keep my attention for more than two minutes.

The cartoony style is nice, I love it but fans of a more "serious" style might not like it. The color schemes and the design of the bots are right. All of the robots (even the new ones) have one or more apparent and popular forefathers in G1. e.g. Ratchet = Ratchet with Kup's personality (old grumpy war hero). Prowl is obviously inspired by Kickback. Bulkhead reminds strongly of Hound etc. Optimus Prime here is a less whining version of Rodimus Prime (which in my humble opinion makes for more interesting character development than the original "Ronald Reagan" Optimus Prime).

The voices sounds very G1, and some of the voices are brilliant. Megatron's voice is convincing and starscream sounds like he used to do. He has got his screechy voice (and is plotting against megatron too). Ratchet's Kup voice is cool. One nice thing is that they have the original transformation sound and even starscreams lasers sound a lot like before.

It's great they built on the idea that the autobots are repair-bots, "ordinary people" who has to fight the decepticons, who are big and scary war-machines. It makes the autobots look even more heroic fighting a superior enemy.

One great thing is that the Decepticons are both humorous and wicked evil. (Maybe they got that idea from the excellent 2002 Masters of the Universe cartoon). They also fight amongst each other. I can't stop laughing when thinking of blitzwing talking with a German accent. (He's actually got three faces/voices). A funny Arnold Schwarzenegger imitation, a generally crazy voice and one talking in a superior manner like Michael Schumacher.

One thing the creators have to be praised about is apparently using Blot as basis for the character Lugnut. That truly shows some in depth understanding about G1 transformers! Me and my pals used to laugh at Blot's idiotic design as kids, some sort of big space-gorilla with cowboy boots!? Haha.

The annoying little girl is luckily not very annoying at all. She slightly reminds of the little girl in inspector gadget.

The music is also really nice except for the part "in DiSgUiSE!" in the intro, where the lead singer fails terribly in hitting the right note. Unbelievable someone would let that kind of blunder through! There are some not so great things about the show too that should be mentioned: The animation is pretty jerky (as always) and the quality varies quite much from scene to scene and episode to episode. There are too many cartoon "styles" mixed together. The robots look modern though paying homage to their old designs. Some human characters look like they're from inspector gadget although some statist human characters look like they're from MASK, and kids look like some sort of mix between the modern retro 50s look and manga. What a mess! Still it somehow manages to come out balanced and 80s looking enough not to ruin the whole thing.

Bumblebee dances a very thin line on being annoying, as in too "hip" and too "cool". However most of the time he's likable.

Worst thing to me is that they keep hiding the transformations and when they do show them it usually looks bad. Like they're too hard to draw properly. Sometimes it even looks like they're shapeshifting instead of transforming, and that looks terrible.

Overall however Transformers Animated has so many good elements, it comes out as highly enjoyable. I think most people growing up with G1 would enjoy this. To me it was the first truly enjoyable transformers -anything- since G1.

transformers animated. its for kids. big and small

Author: dark-sith-1851 from United Kingdom
24 June 2009

OK, I'm 28 yrs old. i had a bad childhood. one thing that got me through it? star wars. he man. transformers. visionaries. airwolf. knight rider. u know why? because it was an escape from the real world. now 20 - 25 yrs later, guess what people? ITS STILL THE SAME!!!! knight rider 2008. transformers real action movies. GI Joe. a team next yr. transformers animated. batman the animated series. its all the same. everything has been redone for a "realistic" generation. no one is going to believe a series based on some crazy robots with animation 30 yrs old. transformers animated is a brand new concept aimed for, wait for it, children!! (GASP) what a surprise. no offence peeps, if u cant grow up and see it from a different angle, u have no right seeing the new movies or TV series of our much loved kids programmes. this is 2009!! new animation, new voices, new approach!! the animation is basic. why? because the transforming robots make up for it! the voices are new and improved, if some what younger. why? because transformers animated is based round about 100 yrs AFTER unicron!!! the optimus prime in the new series? HE IS THE GRANDSON HIER OF THE PRIME!! story lines are new different and a bit wacky. why? because this is a new age! serious people, grow up and look at the world. then watch the cartoons, movies, TV series or what ever. just don't watch them thinking that its all going to be based on the old original plots and stories.

Interesting, I like it.

Author: guudmoovies from Canada
6 January 2008

I'm a Generation One'er before it was even known as Generation One.

When I was young, I lived and breathed Transformers.

While this is not your father's Transformers (namely, me), it is in fact a respectable take on it. They've made it somewhat fun to watch with what seems to be some pretty good writing (so far).

It's still early, but it was good enough for me to set up my PVR to record it every Saturday. I never did that with Cybertron, Armada, Beast Machines/Wars.

Spoiler information: I not really too keen on what they have done with Optimus, to me, it seems that they made him somewhat too average and alittle less mature than I would have liked.

Also, the concept of the all-spark irritates me.

For the first couple of episodes, I have given it an 8 out of 10. This may change, but right now, I like it.

definitely worth running to the TV on Saturday mornings

Author: kateobob from Canada
12 March 2008

this is a really great show, sure the style is aimed at a younger audience, but the show gives little goodies to the older audience ... like the whole elita one episode the characterization of the characters is really well done, each has their own unique attributes and weakness, much like the G1 characters but much more a lot of people are saying how the human characters ruin it, but i really like sari and sumdac, shes much more of a kid who audiences can relate to, (and she doesn't wear a hardhat) shes like a fangirl to the autobots :D i really can't wait to see which transformers they animated next definitely give this one a chance, watch a full episode before saying anything