IMDb > Mostly Ghostly (2008) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mostly Ghostly (V) More at IMDbPro »

Not a DCOM!

Author: barnumo1 from United States
17 October 2008

I wish people would actually read a movie's production information prior to making comments. This is not a DCOM, but rather a Universal Direct-to-DVD release based on the R.L. Stine books. Disney Channel picked up broadcasting rights as part of its Wiztober promotion (probably at a fire-sale price). With so many past DCOM and DC stars, and a DC showing, I can understand why an uninformed person would think it was produced by Disney, but even DC has some standards for production that this movie doesn't meet. Poor special effects, poor acting, poor first AND second unit directing. Ali Lohan has less acting ability at 14 than her older sister had when she was 11. Overall, a poor adaptation of a pretty popular book. Don't look for any sequels!

Disney movie way below standard

Author: pdgrovebaskets from United States
16 October 2008

Wow, this was bad. I don't know who was in charge of this production but I hope they are long gone from anything associated with Disney. There is NO way this was up to the usual standards for something associated with Disney. Now I wasn't expecting Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings but I thought we'd at least get something fairly decent. When I saw another Halloween special on the Disney channel last week with the Mowry twins, the Twitches movies, I was very disappointed in them but no where as bad as this. Now Sterling Beauson wasn't too bad, he'd better have some talent after everything he's done but this certainly is not his best performance. I got the impression that they had no direction and no leadership in this movie. I know the two main adults are in regular Disney series so I'm very surprised at their performances. I'm not sure who thought all of this was good acting but they must live in a another dimension. This has to be some of the worst acting I've ever seen in a movie, and to have it shown on the Disney channel in prime time is so shocking that I'm still wondering if it was a mistake.

Wow Disney...

Author: Smarties643 from United States
12 October 2008

I was not expecting some movie like this from Disney. Usually, Disney makes movies that are more detailed, interesting, and not stupid. I would have to say that this movie was horrible. The special effects, flying, and costumes were terrible. I thought this was going to be a great movie, but it turned out to be a low-budget movie that Disney had to throw together really quickly for Halloween. Last Halloween, they had Twitches 2, and that was much better then this one even though the huge black cloud hand used for the "Darkness" was garbage. Some scenes were a little bit scary I would have to say; only one. But over all this movie was a waste of my time watching. Wow Disney, with all the billions of dollars you have, you at least couldn't make a decent movie that was actually good enough to sit through for 2 hours? I rate this a 3/10. I give it a 3 because I have to give it it's props, the plot was wonderful, but how they actually made it come to life was a disaster.

wow...

Author: blondieblondze from Minnesota
12 October 2008

I usually look forward every couple of months to the new DCOM movie, but they are really starting to go down hill. They built an entire movie around an unknown little boy who didn't even have the "usual" cuteness factor that Disney likes to exploit. The entire supporting cast were stars from other shows except this little boy and the girl who has a supporting role. The one positive in the movie was Madison Pettis. She was cute and it was amazing to see how much she has grown up in a few short years. Other than that, the characters were stereotypical and one dimensional. I wonder what would happen if the writers visited a few high schools and did research before creating their next movie?

Disappointing, meandering children's horror effort

Author: GL84 from Los Angeles, Ca
31 October 2012

Trying to overcome his tough childhood, a boy learns his house is haunted by the child ghosts of the former residents looking to prevent a sinister force from unleashing a great evil on Halloween and must band together to stop it from happening.

This here turned out to be quite a disappointing effort as there really could've been a lot going for it. The main problem with this one is the fact that there's no real reason for the ghost to start his plan of action. It really makes no sense because it's never really hinted at and it really doesn't offer anything as to make the villain an imposing figure beyond the blatantly obvious ploy he utters and the terrorizing he does, leaving a big hole in the film if the main villain is wrapped in complete and utter confusion. Also of rather low regard is the decision in the later half to remove the one that's been captured and make it impossible to offer assistance, which effectively renders it a moot point as to it's inclusion. As well, their child-like antics in the beginning aren't that enjoyable as watching them run around the house at fast speed and knocking things over or move furniture around don't make for a particularly exciting time. That said, there's still some fun to be had here with the rather fun effects on display, which make this pretty entertaining from time-to-time as it deals with the master ghost and the different ghouls in their make-up, the high-spirited finale has some great spectacle and there's one outstanding sequence where he must evade slumbering ghosts in a congregation to retrieve a prize without them noticing that comes off fairly chilling. As a full-on horror, though, this isn't that great but it's decent enough for children.

Rated Unrated/PG: Mild Violence.

My kids love Ali Lohan!

Author: ifuseekkody from United States
25 April 2010

This was excellent. I have to admit the reason that made me want to watch this is because it is based on an R.L. Stein book, and I happen to be a fan of his kids horror stories. It thought the casting was great. They where able to use familiar Disney actors without them seeming like there characters from their shows. Luke Benward, Maddison Pettis,David Deluise, Kim Rhodes, they all delivered A+ performances. Let's not forget the main character Max played by a seemingly highly talented stage/movie/TV actor, Sterling Beaumon, I doubt this is the last we'll see of him (his resume is very long, even though he is only 13), he did an excellent job acting his role. This was classic R.L. Stein, from dumb bully brothers, to creepy basement creatures, to creepy children (ghosts), to a creepy ending where you know the bad guy is still out there, but he can't harm anyone any longer. I recommend this to anybody with kids, and to kids who want a good laugh, and maybe some scares. The special effects where top-notch considering it is a made-for-TV-movie. For performance, effects, and story I give it a 10/10!

Mostly Ghostly Mostly Good

Author: Daydreamer713 from United States
15 October 2008

Mostly Ghostly is definitely superior to any other movie based on R.L. Stine's work. The special effects weren't the best, but who can blame Disney for that? They cast was funny, and mentioned real life complications that tweens and teens go through, such as bullying and trying to impress their crush. Madison Pettis was cute, but Luke Benward was the comedian in the film. He made me laugh more than any other character, were as Ms. Pettis just brought smiles. Many people were famous, but the main character was surprisingly a new talent. Some of the acting was non-believable, but some was a joy to watch. A great movie for tweens and teens,though maybe to graphic and frightening for ages under six, or people who get scared easily. All in all, I give this movie a solid 8.3.

~Cloey

this was a fun, entertaining film to watch. i recommend it highly

Author: brutkopp from United States
11 May 2010

After the poor reviews, I waited for DVD, expecting very little. But Ali Lohan had impressed me in her sheer ability to carry a bad movie by sheer talent. Here again Lohan doesn't disappoint, still managing to hold you captive with a screen presence that just doesn't quit, even when the writing or directing is not that great. The movie was funny and just slapstick enough to strain - but not break - credibility (once you accept the whole premise). I liked it for fun and enjoyment; I might even buy it. It also serves to remind us that Ali Lohan is only one good role away from an Oscar-winning performance. Pettis and Beaumon are excellent as well. I am surprised by the complete trouncing by the critics. I think it is possible that critics -and a great deal of the public - get 'mud-colored glasses' on when they smell blood in the water - as with Ali's sister Lindsay, Nicole Richie, and anyone else who appears vulnerable. They may love-to-hate, but I do know I very much enjoyed watching Ali Lohan act in this movie.

Excellent

Author: doctorjagger from United States
15 October 2008

This DCOM was excellent. I have to admit the reason that made me want to watch this is because it is based on an R.L. Stein book, and I happen to be a fan of his kids horror stories. It thought the casting was great. They where able to use familiar Disney actors without them seeming like there characters from their shows. Luke Benward, Maddison Pettis,David Deluise, Kim Rhodes, they all delivered A+ performances. Let's not forget the main character Max played by a seemingly highly talented stage/movie/TV actor, Sterling Beaumon, I doubt this is the last we'll see of him (his resume is very long, even though he is only 13), he did an excellent job acting his role. This was classic R.L. Stein, from dumb bully brothers, to creepy basement creatures, to creepy children (ghosts), to a creepy ending where you know the bad guy is still out there, but he can't harm anyone any longer. I recommend this to anybody with kids, and to kids who want a good laugh, and maybe some scares. The special effects where top-notch considering it is a made-for-TV-movie. For performance, effects, and story I give it a 10/10!