IMDb > Parental Guidance (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Parental Guidance

Parental Guidance More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Hated it from the first five minutes

Author: doverichter
5 January 2013

This movie starts with Crystal's character calling a minor league baseball game. There is a "kiss cam." The man is proposing to his girlfriend. The camera zooms in on an attractive couple. Suddenly the young man spins in his seat and holds the ring out to a less attractive, larger woman. Crystal's character starts talking about how ugly she is and wraps up with something about love being blind and so is this young man.

There were no surprises in this movie. No real fun just schmaltz and clichéd story vehicles, ie: kids are smarter than adults, imaginary friends and a bratty kid that sprays his grandfather's pants with a squirtgun so that it looks as though he wet himself.

People walked out of the theater, and I wish I had, too.

Truly Awful

Author: IanFarquhar from Australia
16 March 2013

This is truly one of the most awful pieces of trash ever made.

How do I summarize this? I don't - it's awful.

The plot is utterly predictable, the acting awful, the (otherwise talented) cast horribly misused, and the whole exercise is pointless. On the upside... there simply is no upside. This movie has no redeeming features.

I endured this movie simply because I have never walked out on a movie ever. But it was an act of will power not to walk out on this rubbish.

How this utter bilge could score 5.8 out of 10 brings IMDb's rating system into utter disrepute.

Avoid at all costs

Author: keithbiz from United States
1 January 2013

Some reviewers have clicked the button to warn readers that their review may contain spoilers. How can you spoil this movie? The only thing that spoiled it for me was that the theater in which I viewed it had very loud sound so I was unable to get to sleep.

The premise of the movie, as is so often the case, is that love will conquer all. This is a love that is conjured at the flick of a phone call. Grandparents and grandkids hate each other (Guys, guys, I've a great idea... let's call the grandfather Arty so that the rascal kid can call him Farty, guffaw) but within instants of arrival the grandparents are hooked on their grandkids. And, of course, by the end, they have attained mystical healing powers so that, despite their total incompetence, the family is whole and wonderful by the time the credits roll.

It's not funny, it's not clever, it's not watchable. It is Farty.

Some Laughs, some chuckles and some tears

Author: dave-3477 from Indiana, United States
25 December 2012

This is a good movie, probably not a great Oscar nomination candidate, but it has some genuinely funny moments along with some warm family moments.

Over all I thought that it could have been worse; the characters portrayed by Crystal & Midler are introduced to the audience in contrasting views. Crystal is introduced as a long-time sportscaster that has refused to keep up with technology; as a result of his either lack of interest in technology or unwillingness to move out of the mid- 20th century era he faces being left behind.

Midler's character is first introduced either as a very odd-ball home aerobics instructor, or an out-of-work adult dancer trying to keep in shape along with some friends. As the film proceeds to unveil their past histories, some small amount of light is shed on why this type of introduction for both characters was used.

Marisa Tomei, as their daughter Alice and Tom Everett Scott as Alice's husband have their characters introduced to us as a stressed-out, 21st century parental trend following and yet loving couple; it is obvious from the get-go that they both love each other and their three, slightly flawed but highly strung, children.

All of this information is laid out for us within the first 21 minutes of this 104 minute film; the remaining 84 minutes are dedicated to sight gags, comedy stitch, several warm & fuzzy scenes and the obligatory "AHAA MOMENT" for the entire cast. I am not going to spoil the end for anyone; but if you don't see this one coming, I will forward you the number of my Optometrist.

I gave this film 8 out of 10 and I am being honest here; it is a good film for the family containing very few objectionable moments and a lot of "....hmmmm, I think I have done that same thing a time or two...." scenes.

Take your family to see this one, I believe you will enjoy it.

This movie is terrible

Author: John Doe
19 February 2015

I wish I could give this 'movie' a zero out of ten because it doesn't deserve a1 (which is the lowest I can give it .) The movie is unfunny with a boring cast and a very badly written script.

Billy Crystal (Artie Decker) and his wife Bette Midler (Diane Decker) have to babysit their three grand kids.

This movie is 105 minutes long but I wish I could take all those minutes back. There is a scene where Billy Crystal (Artie Decker) and Bette Midler (Diane Decker) dance in the hallway and the whole movie is just painful to watch and listen to. Marisa Tomie is too old to even play Billy Crystal's daughter so the casting was way off too. The director thought it would be 'cool' to get Tony Hawk to appear in the film as they probably thought it would raise ratings...but it just made it worse...please do not see this movie...It should be buried along with the rest of the badly made garbage out there...I give it a 1/10.

kids will be kids

Author: wilson trivino from United States
29 November 2014

This movie brings together the modern feel good holistic parenting as compared to the dictatorship parenting of yesteryear. In it, the grandparents are asked to come care for the grandkids after the parents are converting a business trip to a mini-vacation. What is really good is the paring of Billy Crystal and Bette Midler as the grandparents. I was reminded of how funny Crystal can be. Lot of gag bits but humorous to see how the family dynamic plays out. It reminds you that parenting is trial and error and there is no real way to mess up the children's lives. This movie is fun and should be perfect for any family who has a challenge for teaching intergenerational lessons.

Sweet, Harmless Fun!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
25 May 2014

Parental Guidance is one of those films where it's perfectly safe to take the entire family to see, including the little ones. This film is enjoyable for the most part, although the film plays it safe. I felt like the filmmakers could have stretched out the material, but it seems they wanted to make this film family-friendly as possible. That being said, it's an entertaining comedy that has a charming cast, harmless but cute gags, and the notion of what family is all about.

Andy Fickman directed a film about old clashing with new. When a couple, Alice and Phil decide to travel, they recruit Alice's parents to watch their kids while they are away. How will the old-fashioned grandparents keep up with their grandchildren?

The acting is solid. Billy Crystal is funny and charming as Artie. But like the script, Crystal often plays it safe. Bette Midler does a good job as Diane and we are treated to her singing voice here. The kid actors are not too annoying thankfully.

Overall, Parental Guidance is a sweet, but mainly forgettable comedy. The gags are amusing, but the old versus new jokes may grow old after awhile. Nonetheless, I had a good time and was entertained throughout. The film plays it safe, but that's good for the younger children. I rate this film 8/10.

Humorous, realistic, inside the bounds

Author: jacob-mccandless from USA
14 February 2014

Something I don't like about movies with kids is when the child roles are unbelievable or near villainous.

This film portrayed the children accurately and lovably. Billy Crystals humor was understandable to all ages. The fun kept me watching and -- was that Betty Middler?

This movie is so up beat. I would recommend it to those who are having a hard time in their lives. As well as to families. I can see this movie being very influential on airplane flights to vacation spots. I really trust Billy Crystal in this regard. The world need more movies like these.

I still shave my legs BTW.

Didn't find it that funny. 2/10

Author: leonblackwood from United Kingdom
4 August 2013

Review: This movie was made for kids in mind because the jokes are really weak and the storyline is pretty bad. If you have parents that babysit your kids, then this film might be up your alley, but I just found it really unfunny and it seemed to drag. Billy Crystal and Bette Milder are 2 veteran in there field and there banter is quite good good throughout the movie, but it really seemed like there were on-stage chucking one liners at each other. Marisa Tomei's character was pretty annoying and the sketches were over exaggerated but the kids might find them funny. This movie just wasn't for me! Disappointing

Round-Up: It's been so long since Billy Crystal and Bette Midler have made a movie and judging by the money that this movie made, they still have the ability to draw an audience. The distribution company cleverly brought this movie out during the summer holidays so they were bound to make some money, but the director should have made it for all ages. If your a parent you will most probably be able to relate to many of the situations that the family find themselves in, but I ended up falling asleep through some of the movie out of sheer boredom.

Budget: $25million Worldwide Gross: $120million

I recommend this movie to families with kids who want to watch a movie about parenthood. 2/10

Parental Guidance is harmless enough though the laughs are few and far in this Billy Crystal/Bette Midler comedy

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
11 July 2013

You know, I had high hopes this would be a pretty entertaining family comedy when the first scene of Billy Crystal announcing a baseball game with his funny lines about various goings on in the field and the bleachers were making me laugh heartily. Then the writers made the mistake of having him get fired because he's simply too old and some of the quality went as far as I was concerned. I really couldn't believe that one because his character is so good at what he does. Anyway, having him and Bette Midler then go to their daughter's home to take care of their grandchildren while that daughter (Marisa Tomei) takes a vacation with her husband isn't a bad premise and I did laugh a few times but then having those kids suffer from some self-esteem issues also threatens to make things a bit heavy handed dramatically. And the whole thing has a contrived air about them. Still, Parental Guidance is harmless enough so on that note, it's a pleasant enough diversion if you're so inclined...

Page 9 of 11: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]