IMDb > Parental Guidance (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Parental Guidance

Parental Guidance More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Fun for the whole family! Especially for the 77M Grandparents!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
4 January 2013

No cursing and no sex or violence. Film for the whole entire family to watch. As my parents are grandparents to seven and can relate.

It took Billy Crystal five years to make the film as the film studios weren't interested in what grandparents feel. But hope that this movie will help out grandparents as there are 77M of them, Crystal said in an interview.

Billy and Bette are a couple who agree to help out their only child played by Marisa Tomei and Tom Everette Scott their three rowdy kids. As the parents go off on a vacation that they have not had in five years! Notice they all have first names for a surname like Harper and Barker.

Still the kids are just kids and really cute. At first the kids are reluctant as Bette and Billy are keep being referred to as the óther grandparents' but they bound with one another. And relate to one another.

Very funny and really one great time. As the seven grandchildren of my parents and my sister, sister in law, and I went and laughed as this. You will have a great time. Especially for grandparents!

My expectations were so low that I ended up mostly enjoying it

Author: mposs from United States
31 December 2012

My expectations for this movie were so low that I ended up mostly enjoying it. No spoiler alerts here because there really is nothing to spoil (assuming you have not been living off the grid for the last 50 or 60 years). If you've seen the trailer, you could pretty much write the script yourself. The characters make cardboard look complex, the storyline is straight-up sitcom, and everyone learns a schmaltzy little lesson in the end. But aside from a few totally unnecessary gross-out gags (you could almost hear the producers telling the writers where to insert them), it was mostly inoffensive and quick moving enough to be entertaining. I could think of worse ways to spend two hours with my kid.

A Nutshell Review: Parental Guidance

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
31 December 2012

It's a Christmas movie, and what's a Christmas movie without the usual family comedy? This time it's three generations coming together, with the grandparents almost always undoing the upbringing principles that their children have instilled in their grandkids, making it a clash of values, and that all round fuzziness when issues get resolved amicably for that one good hurrah, with plenty of comedy along the way.

Billy Crystal last headlined a film in 2002 with Analyze That, and now a decade later this is a much anticipated comeback, with time added on his side to play a grandparent no less. His Artie Decker just got retrenched from his baseball announcer's job for being that dinosaur that he is, contrary to his club's forward looking ambition, and before the day got any worse, wife Diane (Bette Midler) decides to accept the reluctant invitation of their daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei) to babysit the children so that both she and husband Phil (Tom Everett Scott) can spend some time away.

That's basically the gist of the show and you'd come to expect plenty of the usual getting-to- know-yous, with Diane trying her best to make Artie and herself the best grandparents ever for Harper (Bailee Madison), Turner (Joshua Rush) and Barker (Kyle Harrison Breitkopf), discovering that the other set of grandparents had more mindshare given time spent with the kids, and have multitudes of photos on the mantle. So the objective is set, but connecting with kids, brought up in a very new-age manner, becomes a tall order for those with traditional, old-school methods. Making things a lot more challenging are the kids' respective issues - Harper being a high-strung, performance based violinist whose audition for an elite school is coming up, Turner stammers and is the school bullies' fodder, while Barker is that pesky little wildcard of a kid with an imaginary friend.

Given that it's something for the year end season and firmly with the intention of being family friendly, this is something which you would hark back to the good ol 80s and 90s comedies when making a comedy doesn't involve swearing, sex or gratuitous nudity. Although there is always room for a relatively mild poop joke or two. Most of it centered around the grandparents finding their way with the kids of today's generation, and trying very hard to bridge that gap, and of course well intention advice that you can bet will have a contrary effect.

But the story gets all heartwarming as you would expect it to, when its inherent message is about family and togetherness, with experience never a bad thing when therein lies knowledge in dealing with deficiencies and overcoming them. What's more, there seems to also be a message for parents to let their children be children, because after all, childhood only comes once, and the more "adult" stuff, can wait. I'm not sure if writers Lisa Addario or Joe Syracuse are baseball fans, but baseballs plays out very prominently in this film, both serving as elements in character backgrounds, and having a number of scenes set on a pitch.

Billy Crystal still shows that he has that comic timing in him, while Bette Midler just had to have a musical number put in somewhere in the film to exercise her vocal chords. There don't behave like the Fockers, but have their own charm as the grandparents. Marisa Tomei had a little extended screen time here being the mother who finds it difficult to let go, and also for the filmmakers to provide her a larger role than originally called for, to exercise that additional bigger name in the ensemble cast.

Parental Guidance played it safe, and kept itself in its namesake ratings territory, suitable for all ages and probably fun for entire families to watch it together, without any fun moment that will embarrass.

Expected nothing special, and that is what we got.

Author: swatteam772003 from Midland, TX
26 December 2012

If you looking for a generic family centered movie, this is the movie for you. I will say this movie is OK for everyone in the family ages about six and up. And would be best suited for children over ten, only because the movie is very slow moving at times, and younger children would become board. Yes the movie has a typical predictable story line. Billy Crystal tells jokes, Bette Midler does some singing, Marissa Torme plays a mom having trouble letting go of control, and there is some slap stick humor for the kids. In the end the family works together, and becomes closer. Don't expect any outrageous twists, or anything out of the norm. This movie is a OK, basic family centered movie. Good for kids, patents, and grandparents. I did not have to cover my kids eyes at any point, or explain vulgar jokes. It not something I will see again. But it severed it purpose.Giving my family something to do together on Christmas.

Great Family, Multi-Generational Film. Perfect for Family Gatherings

Author: rannynm from United States
8 January 2013

"Parental Guidance" seems to have appeal to every age group - kids, parents and even grandparents really relate to this story. 13-year-old KIDS FIRST! Film Critic, Brianna Hope Beaton, says "this is a good comedy that will keep you laughing" and Cheyenne Nguyen, our 9-year-old KIDS FIRST! Film Critic points out that this film "has something for every age." Rated PG so, if you are looking for a film to share with your family during family get-togethers, here's a perfect choice. chance. Our youth critics' full reviews follow:

"Parental Guidance" Reviewed by Brianna Hope Beaton Video reviews available at kidsfirst dot org.

"Parental Guidance" is extremely funny and enjoyable. Artie Decker (Billy Crystal) is let go from his baseball announcing job which he truly loves. His only daughter, Alice Simmons (Marisa Tomei) and her husband Phil Simmons (Tom Everett Scott) get a chance to go on a vacation and need someone to look after their three school-age kids. Artie and his wife Diane Decker (Bette Midler) agree to look after them for a week and will do anything to not be the "other grandparents." But, their style of parenting clashes with Alice and her husband's parenting ways.

This film kept me laughing a lot and I must admit, I shedded a few tears. My favorite character is Barker Simmons (Kyle Harrison Breitkopf). He has the cutest little face with red curly hair, and cracks me up with some of the things he does. The acting is really good and believable. I can actually see this plot happening in real life - that's how believable it is. I also like Harper Simmons (Bailee Madison) as she acts very well. She is so intense with her acting and so believable with her crying scenes.

I have two favorite scenes. One is when Harper has a mouthful of cake and then says to her mother, "yogurt is not like ice cream, you lied." The other is when Artie is at the little league baseball game with his daughter and causes trouble because there is no 3 strike game rule.

Andy Fickman directs "Parental Guidance" and Lisa Addario along with Joe Syracuse who wrote this very funny script. Other talents include Jennifer Crystal Foley, Rhonda Griffis and the very funny Gedde Watanabe.

A lesson in this film is to live your life, love yourself and laugh a lot. I recommend "Parental Guidance" for ages 6 and up. This is a great film for the family and your friends to see. It's a really good comedy that will keep you laughing. Get ready to laugh, cry and have a good time.

I give this film 5 out of 5 five stars. I love the actors, the plot and comedy. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are hilarious together with their style of parenting. Have some fun with your grandparents and see "Parental Guidance." I'm sure you will love it.

"Parental Guidance" Reviewed by Cheyenne Nguyen Video reviews available at kidsfirst dot org

I love this movie. It has something that every age group can relate to. Artie (Billy Crystal) and Dianne (Bette Midler) are asked by their daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei) to watch her three kids for one week. Alice and her husband have won a trip for two to celebrate their success. However, Alice wants Artie and Dianne to use her method of parenting not the old school way that Artie and Dianne used to raise her. The children are Harper (Bailee Madison), Turner (Joshua Rush) and Barker (Kyle Breitkopf). They are not to have any sugar and live a very structured life. Each has their own issues. Artie and Dianne have to learn how to deal with their issues using the 21st century method.

Billy Crystal owns his character. I really see Billy Crystal as Artie. I did not see any acting with this character. Bette Midler also does a great job as Diane, funny and great voice. Artie and Dianne's lines seems like they are improvised and their comic timing is awesome. The child actors are great too. Harper's look of awkwardness when her crush asks her to his party is so true to life. Turner's speech impediment is so real; I thought he really has the impediment. Barker is a riot; he has that face that looks as if he's up to something.

The movie quality is very clear. The props for the smart house are awesome. One day we will all have a smart house and our parents will think it's creepy. The small home town setting looks just like it's in Fresno, California.

My favorite character is Turner. He is determined to overcome his speech impediment and defend himself with the bully. He does a great job of stuttering. The lesson in this movie is each generation has their own way of parenting. I rank this movie 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this movie to ages 5 and up.

Heartwarming family comedy

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
30 December 2012

Happily married couple well in there 60's who are Artie and Diane Decker(Billy Crystal and Bette Midler), are asked by there daughter Alice(Marisa Tomei) if they can watch there kids for a week, so that she and her husband(Tom Everett Scott) can go away for some alone time. Now what can start out as something simple, quickly becomes a hassle, cause they do not know there grandchildren has much has they thought.

This was an enjoyable film, it's funny and heartwarming, never takes itself too seriously. Billy Crystal and Bette Midler are a perfect comedy team, they both bring there comedic timing here, pretty much coming across like a sitcom couple. Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott are also good too, let's not forget Ballie Madison also.

Billy Crystal is brilliant!

Author: dbroncos59
25 December 2012

I was very hesitant at first going by the trailers for this film, but my family wanted to see it for Christmas so I attended. I'm glad I did. I found myself thinking a lot throughout the film that it seemed familiar in what I see in my family.

Billy Crystal is hilarious as is Bette Midler! I haven't seen much of Tom Scott since Dead Man on Campus, but he plays his role really well. Marisa Tomei was great too but the hilarious acting of my personal favorite character, Gedde Watanabe, will have most in tears!

Overall, it's a great family feel good movie. The comedy is for the most part original, yet so simple for laughs. I'm not big on reviews, but I feel this movie really deserved one. It's just brilliantly written in every aspect!

Up to expectations, and better

Author: vintagegal3 from United States
24 December 2012

"Parental Guidance" is a hilarious movie.

Unlike films like "Ted" or "Up," this movie makes every scene funny in some way, instead of only a few parts that are funny. For example, one time the grandpa (Billy Crystal) goes into a public bathroom with his grandson and starts singing a song (to help Barker go to the bathroom) and randomly, one of the strangers in the bathroom asks, "Can you keep singing that song?"

The plot of grandparents who have no idea what is going on, and kids taking advantage of that, really caught my eye.

Barker is very, very funny with the grandpa, and their relationship is great. This is the first starring role for actor Kyle Breitkopf and he is magnificent.

Overall I give this a rating of 9.3. This movie lived up to its expectations and did better. You definitely should watch this movie. It is hilarious.

"Parental Guidance" is a hilarious movie.

Do kids want to see a movie about adults fighting about being right (ALL the time)?

Author: twilliams76 from Kansas City, MO, USA
9 January 2013

The family-friendly PG-rating for the film Parental Guidance has made this movie even more perplexing for me to understand. I should point-out and clarify to all prospective Parental Guidance audience members that the film does deserve its rating and there is nothing within its runtime that is offensive or age-inappropriate for someone over the ages of five or six.

My personal problem with Parental Guidance after sitting through it is that I have NO idea for/towards whom the film is marketed! There are several children in the film's cast and I am betting they are also expected to comprise a large portion of the theatrical audience as well. If children could possibly enjoy what they are going to see on screen here I wouldn't be stumped by the film's offerings. As is, Parental Guidance is a movie about parents and those parents' parents always assuming their parenting style is the correct one.

Parental Guidance becomes an exhausting "I'm Right You're Wrong" multi-generational drama billed as a comedy. It is written for laughs but the situation(s) in the film and the lead characters all become trying and tiring as every situation or squabble escalates because someone is ALWAYS right and will not acknowledge possibly being wrong.

Grandpa Artie (Billy Crystal - City Slickers, When Harry Met Sally) believes his parenting skills are just fine as he raised successful daughter Alice (Marisa Tomei - My Cousin Vinny, The Wrestler) who believes she is the superior parent because she is in tune with the kids, has read some books written by some child behavioral professionals, and she speaks calmly. While the family does love each other, the never-ending disdain for another's opinion (no matter how well-reasoned etc) and complete lack of respect shown to anybody else in the entire house wears down the viewer! Grandma (Bette Midler - Beaches, First Wives Club) is also loud and opinionated and the kids'father (Tom Everett Scott - That Thing You Do!, One True Thing) is rarely around as him being sent away on business is what set the entire film's premise up to begin with!

While the adults all come across as people who believe they have the answer(s) to everything (they are pretty-much unlikeable), the kids belong to them and ARE all brats (unbelievably so at times!). It is too bad I could not report that they are cinematic angels; but alas ...

Again -- I don't know who this film has been made for although it does make me very glad to be able to call my family my own.

Another vapid "preteen" flick

Author: goomeee from Des Plaines, IL
29 March 2013

Marisa Tomei is my age and a bit old to be a parent of such young kids, though she still is hot for a cougar.

Same old bathroom jokes in this movie though the request by another stall dweller for Crystal to continue his song caused me a chuckle, that's about it.

The scene of a man getting hit in his reproductive organ by a child with a bat is not funny, done a million times, and should not be acceptable in a kids movie. Reverse the genders sometime and see just how funny this is to you.

There are better kid's movies out there.

Page 8 of 11: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]